2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

2 Training Aids That Have Really Helped Me

Wedge

I'm currently a 7.6 hcp. 59Yo.; Swing speed about 92mph. Average driver distance was about 220-230yds.

Good short game, good putter, streaky ball striker, have a tendency to sway off the ball, not finish in balance and struggle to get to my left side consistently.

That's the background info.

Started consistently using the following two training aids over the past two months after work when I'm not playing and before I play on weekends.

1. Orange Whip Trainer. Has improved my footwork and transition immensely. It has made me realize how important it is to create a solid base with my feet, use the ground to push off my right foot and has helped me synchronize my body and arms so much better. Helped my turn also. Great warmup tool.

2. Speedstik. You've seen it on TV...getspeedstik.com. Works. Swing that rascal some every day. Great with transistion, helps increase swing speed. I have gained a club on my irons and my driver distance has increased over the past couple of months because I'm using my feet and the ground so much better and these two training aids have been a huge help.

For the first time I feel like I'm swinging the clubhead instead of hitting the ball. Swinging faster, but not harder. Hope that makes sense.

Swing speed has easily increased because I'm swinging the club so much more efficiently now.

If you're struggling to finish in balance and on your left side....try one or the other...or both. They have absolutely helped me.

Driver: Ping G400 10.5* w/Axivcore Black 5.5 Shaft
3W: Cobra F8 w/Hazardous Black 6.0 Shaft
Hybrids: Callaway x2Hot 19*; x2Hot 22*; x2Hot 25*
Irons: Cobra King Forged TEC Black w/Recoil Shafts 6i-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM6 50/08* "F" Grind;
Vokey SM6 54/08* "M" & 58/08* "M"
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W 34" w/FlatCat Solution Putter Grip
NEO-X GPS Watch; Caddytek Push Cart
Ball: Srixon Q-Star Tour/Bridgestone Tour RXS

"I'm glad to say I've come around, but if I could have one wish....
I'd like another try at 25....or was it 26."

Charlie Daniels

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm currently a 7.6 hcp. 59Yo.; Swing speed about 92mph. Average driver distance was about 220-230yds.

Good short game, good putter, streaky ball striker, have a tendency to sway off the ball, not finish in balance and struggle to get to my left side consistently.

That's the background info.

Started consistently using the following two training aids over the past two months after work when I'm not playing and before I play on weekends.

1. Orange Whip Trainer. Has improved my footwork and transition immensely. It has made me realize how important it is to create a solid base with my feet, use the ground to push off my right foot and has helped me synchronize my body and arms so much better. Helped my turn also. Great warmup tool.

2. Speedstik. You've seen it on TV...getspeedstik.com. Works. Swing that rascal some every day. Great with transistion, helps increase swing speed. I have gained a club on my irons and my driver distance has increased over the past couple of months because I'm using my feet and the ground so much better and these two training aids have been a huge help.

For the first time I feel like I'm swinging the clubhead instead of hitting the ball. Swinging faster, but not harder. Hope that makes sense.

Swing speed has easily increased because I'm swinging the club so much more efficiently now.

If you're struggling to finish in balance and on your left side....try one or the other...or both. They have absolutely helped me.

I could have written your post, I've been working with both aids as well and have improved my swing speed by over 5mph with all clubs and gained at least 20 yards on my drive. The Speed Stik has helped me learn the difference between swinging fast and swinging hard.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I'm just a few years behind the OP, but I could have written his first paragraph.

I have Orange Whip's ugly cousin, the Skilz swing trainer.

I'll swing it a dozen times before a round (I hate whacking balls), and in the off season, swing it several times a day to keep the golf muscles lubed. It does what it says it does.

Might have to look into this speed stick....

X________________________________ Sign Here

In to read more reviews.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I just bought the orange whip today. I swung it a few times. It feels excellent and I intend on using it long term and whippin' it good!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

I also use the orange whip... Very very good training tool. I may also have to look up the speed stick.

TM SIM 9.0 with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X

TM SIM 15 deg 3W with Project X Smoke Green S

TM SIM2 3H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM M3 4H with Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 9X

TM P790 5i with KBS $-Taper 120

TM P760 6-PW with KBS $-Taper 120

TM Hi Toe 50, 55 & 60 with DG S300

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 

Any idea how the Speed Stik is different from the Ledbetter Swing Setter?

From what I can discern, same concept, but the Speed Stik is driver length and the Swing Setter is much shorter (hence easier to swing indoors). I can see some merit to getting used to swinging a 45" club...but otherwise same concept, no?

I'm a big Kelvin Miyahira fan and he doesn't think too highly of the Orange Whip as he thinks it promotes flipping the club through impact.

For me...the best training aid is one I recently rediscovered a few weeks ago as it was collecting dust in my basement..

A Swing Fan

Although I had a lot more compression of the ball at impact with my irons and woods but struggled to get the correct sequence of my body movements of the downswing...sometimes I don't quite get it and sometimes I nailed it. One day I was bored and dusted off the swing fan and took a few swings with it and it overexaggerated the correct movements of my body on the downswing and when I transfered it to my clubs, I got compression and accuracy. Instead of gathering dust I now swing it around 10-20 times a day to give my body the muscle memory it needs when I transfer it to the driving range or before a round.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Any idea how the Speed Stik is different from the Ledbetter Swing Setter?

From what I can discern, same concept, but the Speed Stik is driver length and the Swing Setter is much shorter (hence easier to swing indoors). I can see some merit to getting used to swinging a 45" club...but otherwise same concept, no?

I have the Ledbetter Swing Setter too, it provides more feedback in that one of the balls clicks if you perform your back swing properly and the other on your downswing. I like the Speed Stik a little more because it really focuses on the downswing and is more adjustable in terms of settings.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

The Leadbetter swing setter was a similar concept and there is another training aid called the Swing Rite that is quite similar too. Idea is using an adjustable tensioning device that you have to release at the proper point in your swing. As you improve, adjust it to the harder to release settings. Works on speed and timing.

Keep up the work Wedge! Glad both devices are working for you. Swing aids are not the fix all for everyone and it sounds like you have two that are working well for you!

Everyone has their opinions obviously but in your case, what works for you...works.

I will try the Orange Whip and see if it can finally defeat by feet not working properly.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

I'm a big Kelvin Miyahira fan and he doesn't think too highly of the Orange Whip as he thinks it promotes flipping the club through impact.

For me...the best training aid is one I recently rediscovered a few weeks ago as it was collecting dust in my basement..

A Swing Fan

Although I had a lot more compression of the ball at impact with my irons and woods and struggled to get the correct sequence of my body movements of the downswing...sometimes I don't quite get it and sometimes I nailed it. One day I was bored and dusted off the swing fan and took a few swings with it and it overexaggerated the correct movements of my body on the downswing and when I transfered it to my clubs, I got compression and accuracy. Instead of gathering dust I now swing it around 10-20 times a day to give my body the muscle memory it needs when I transfer it to the driving range or before a round.

I totally agree. I think the Orange Whip is a great aid for flexibility and getting loose but horrible for full swing mechanics. Maybe would help those who tend to slice or struggle with outside to in swing path but FOR GOLFERS WHO DRAW THE BALL NATURALLY, I think the Orange Whip does more harm than good.

The SpeedStik is fine and can definitely help...But I'd rather use a Swing Speed Radar for feedback while swinging a driver with a few extra pieces of lead tape to build speed. Also, be aware of the thick grip. It won't translate exact to how you actually grip a golf club.

Swing aids are very tricky. Trust me, I own every swing aid available. You have to know how to use them correctly and know exactly what you want to achieve from them. Thanks "cgasucks", I'll now have to find my fan and dust it off for another go. I remember is working well but didn't fit into bag or car for that matter.

A Swing Fan

Although I had a lot more compression of the ball at impact with my irons and woods and struggled to get the correct sequence of my body movements of the downswing...sometimes I don't quite get it and sometimes I nailed it. One day I was bored and dusted off the swing fan and took a few swings with it and it overexaggerated the correct movements of my body on the downswing and when I transfered it to my clubs, I got compression and accuracy. Instead of gathering dust I now swing it around 10-20 times a day to give my body the muscle memory it needs when I transfer it to the driving range or before a round.

I totally agree. I think the Orange Whip is a great aid for flexibility and getting loose but horrible for full swing mechanics. Maybe would help those who tend to slice or struggle with outside to in swing path but FOR GOLFERS WHO DRAW THE BALL NATURALLY, I think the Orange Whip does more harm than good.

The SpeedStik is fine and can definitely help...But I'd rather use a Swing Speed Radar for feedback while swinging a driver with a few extra pieces of lead tape to build speed. Also, be aware of the thick grip. It won't translate exact to how you actually grip a golf club.

Swing aids are very tricky. Trust me, I own every swing aid available. You have to know how to use them correctly and know exactly what you want to achieve from them. Thanks "cgasucks", I'll now have to find my fan and dust it off for another go. I remember is working well but didn't fit into bag or car for that matter.

I appreciate the complement. I'm not saying that the Orange Whip is a bad training aid. It has its place (I guess). The SpeedStik only gives you pure clubhead speed readings and doesn't really teach you mechanics. I am a huge proponent of the "Drive and Hold (the release)" swing advocated by Kelvin Miyahira which has been validated by a young kid named Victor Rodriguez who started out from driving the ball 240-260 to a Re-Max long drive competitor in a few short years (Youtube his name) and some guy named DJ on the big tour.

The swing fan works for me. I'm not sure it will be the final piece of the puzzle for others. Although the original swing fan is too big to fit in one's bag, there are clones out there that are foldable that you can put in your bag and can attach to any club.

2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I have the Orange Whip. It is great for tempo and stretching before a round. But believe me, you can still make a bad swing with it and have good tempo. I have the driver length version.

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

Hi Cga...

U have the Paragon Golf Swing Fan Warm-up Trainer that's on Amazon or another one...

Thanks

I have something like that...but mine doesn't have a training grip.

I have the Orange Whip. It is great for tempo and stretching before a round. But believe me, you can still make a bad swing with it and have good tempo. I have the driver length version.

I agree with that.. You still need to be in the correct positions.. You can have great tempo but if you're all over the place with your swing it won't do much for you..

I could literally complete a dissertation on golf training aids. I have everyone every made, including the The Golf Coach (no lie).

Training aids are a funny complement to a golf swing. Use them correctly and they can really help. Use them too much (even correctly) and they can become a hindrance.

After years of trial and error I gravitate towards aids that you can actually hit balls with. The Tour Striker (Pro) with the small quarter-sized sweet spot is a great aid.

Another great aid is no aid at all. Simply hold a 5 iron in one hand and a 6 iron in the other and make one-armed swings at same time without letting the shafts touch each other, and keeping them parallel to one another. Best aid there is to keeping the club in front of body during swing.

Always interested in training aid feedback and discussion.

I don't use the Orange Whip or the Speed Stik for swing positions. Where they have helped me the most is my footwork, transition and finish. They have helped me start the downswing from the ground up, getting to my left side and finishing in balance. Swing speed has naturally increased because I'm swinging much more efficiently.

My swing path is pretty good and consistent but my finish has historically been really bad, leaning, falling back...couldn't get to my left side and stick the finish. That's where they have really helped me.

Charlie Daniels

I don't use the Orange Whip or the Speed Stik for swing positions. Where they have helped me the most is my footwork, transition and finish. They have helped me start the downswing from the ground up, getting to my left side and finishing in balance. Swing speed has naturally increased because I'm swinging much more efficiently.

My swing path is pretty good and consistent but my finish has historically been really bad, leaning, falling back...couldn't get to my left side and stick the finish. That's where they have really helped me.

That's great. Footwork and getting to left side (for right-handed) are huge. Balance alone is a secret to the swing. You should watch George Knudson's video. Footwork pivot and balance are his biggest keys.

Also, have you tried the step-drill or baseball drill while hitting balls? That's a good drill/aid for you too.

I could literally complete a dissertation on golf training aids. I have everyone every made, including the The Golf Coach (no lie).

Training aids are a funny complement to a golf swing. Use them correctly and they can really help. Use them too much (even correctly) and they can become a hindrance.

After years of trial and error I gravitate towards aids that you can actually hit balls with. The Tour Striker (Pro) with the small quarter-sized sweet spot is a great aid.

Another great aid is no aid at all. Simply hold a 5 iron in one hand and a 6 iron in the other and make one-armed swings at same time without letting the shafts touch each other, and keeping them parallel to one another. Best aid there is to keeping the club in front of body during swing.

My last lesson my instructor had me do the swing two clubs at a time drill. He said this may take a bit for you to be able to do without hitting the clubs together. First swing and on no issues. Guess both my arms are doing the same thing wrong at the same time

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

The Tour Striker Pro is a great training aid. I bought one about 5-6 years ago....still have it....found out my impact was better than I thought. Great aid.

Charlie Daniels