Rory to start 2017 with Callaway in the bag!

when was the last time somebody inside the top 50 played anything without being paid?

Β 

Off the top of my head:

• Rory (M2)
  • Hideki (GBB)
  • Patrick Reed (0311?)
  • Phil (Rocketballz)
  • Gary Woodland

And Rory seems like a unique situation, he has a huge multi-year deal with an OEM that got out of hardgoods.

Β 

poorly worded question on my part - guys have a club or two in their bag all the time that isn't part of a deal....what i should have asked was when was the last time somebody inside the top 50 had no equipment deal whatsoever?

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the lack of Callaway wedges and ball signifies that Callaway is not paying him? Just guessing, of course.

Β 

Why else would he bag irons that clearly are not Callaway irons, yet still have Callaway markings? Callaway is paying him, of that much I'm pretty certain.

Β 

He's not getting paid.

Β 

He's not getting paid but they are pushing hard to sign him. And again, they ARE very much Callaway irons!

I find it kind of strange that Odyssey needs to copy both this shape for him, and replicate a Corza Ghost completely for Berger.

Β 

To be honest, that kinda speaks volumes on how they are feeling about the new insert Odyssey dialed up.

Β 

How does the head shape speak volumes to which insert a player is using?

Β 

If he did not want to play that insert, doubt he would have asked for a head to be made that looks like his Scotty did.

Β 

I don't know, but guessing he rolled some putts with that insert and said, make me a proto head with that in it.

Β 

Conjecture.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200Β 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I find it kind of strange that Odyssey needs to copy both this shape for him, and replicate a Corza Ghost completely for Berger.

Β 

How is that's strange? That's smart. What do you think Scotty Cameron does. Just say you have to play a model I make a million of? The answer is no. Not sure what your point is.

Β 

You're really not sure what my point is? The best Odyssey could do for Berger was to make a Corza Ghost copy. This is two instances of Odyssey doing this within a week, when they haven't in the past. Both big gets, and both clear copies of other OEM's models. Yes, it's less apparent when a guy goes from an Anser to a Newport, but this is still strange.

Β 

Β 

Β 

To be honest, that kinda speaks volumes on how they are feeling about the new insert Odyssey dialed up.

Β 

Speaks volumes about the insert, sure, but what does it say about their putters that they had to completely replicate his old one rather than get him into something they offer?

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60MΒ 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Speaks volumes about the insert, sure, but what does it say about their putters that they had to completely replicate his old one rather than get him into something they offer?

Β 

It is a similar head shape compared to previous Odysseys with slight variations (odyssey protype 7 comes to mind with a different sight line, shaft interaction and middle part of the flang shape). I don't think you need to look into it any more other than it is what Rory prefers to see at address. Functionally, there is no difference.

Callaway GBB 9* Diamana S+ 60 - Animal Weights
Titleist 915h 2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 70
Titleist 915h 3 Hybrid [size=4]Diamana S+ 82[/size]
Mizuno MP-54 3-5 DG 120
Mizuno MP-64 6-PW DG 120
[size=4]Mizuno MP-T5 50 and 56[/size]
Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank Counterbalanced
Srixon Z Star XV / Bridgestone B330 / Cut Blue

Odyssey is f&@&!?@ clueless.

Β 

THAT is what the people want. Instead we get this multicolored busy as sh!t versa line looking like a goddamn NASCAR for some who the hell knows reason.

Β 

Aren't there Odyssey folks that frequent this site? Come on guys, less is more. You release that line of putters and I'll set up an auto-deduct out of my paycheck this afternoon.

Β 

Do you want my money?

Β 

Jonathan Wall ‏@jonathanrwall 11m11 minutes ago

Β 

Here's a look at the sole/back of Rory McIlroy's @odysseygolf prototype putter.

Β 

C1-k2uJUcAEBLM6.jpg

Β 

C1-k2uIUoAAqoQx.jpg

Β 

That looks so good compared to what is coming out for retail.

Β 

Surprised they aren't just throwing this insert technology into some clean Toulon heads tbh.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60MΒ 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

Anybody else notice he missed he last 3 fairways way left? Played out the trees 3 times.

Β 

Yet he still saved par twice and got a birdie on those holes...

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5Β° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14Β° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21Β° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24Β° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50Β°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58Β°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

I wanna know how much hot melt Rory has in that driver. Sounds way better than how they come stock

Β 

Also, there sure is a lot of proto gear for Rory to not have some kind of deal going. He may not be getting paid (no reason since Nike is paying him), but I'd bet there's some kind of deal going on here, especially when he's got irons and a putter that no one on their current staff has, IMO

Β 

so you're telling me that if you were a suit at Callaway, TM, Mizuno, Cobra, Titleist, etc...you wouldn't be pulling out all of the tricks, one offs or special treatment with the opportunity of landing Rory?

Β 

without a contract this is how much we value you the opportunity of helping you accomplish great things. they are offering him the kitchen sink...they need a horse on staff - someone to carry them into the future.

The Apex MBs are probably extremely close to what will be coming to retail with some slight mods for Rors. So are they a one-off, yes. Are they that much different from the production models...probably not. We will see when released of course, things can change.

I do love the muscle in the back, they don't look unforgiving for sure, not as easy to hit as the Razr X MB's I am sure, but worth a look!!

Β 

if i'm Callaway - i would make him anything as far from the retail as possible to land him (if necessary)...perhaps the badging only remaining the same. if he didn't like that - i'd make the change. when you can land Rory - you do what's necessary.

Wish these manufacturers would create products like tour pros like for consumer use. There is no way I will play the oworks putter looking like the retail version no matter how good it feels. For me putter is 100% about looks and I get use to the feel. If these companies would release nice super clean and simple designs I bet their sales would soar.

The Apex MBs are probably extremely close to what will be coming to retail with some slight mods for Rors. So are they a one-off, yes. Are they that much different from the production models...probably not. We will see when released of course, things can change.

I do love the muscle in the back, they don't look unforgiving for sure, not as easy to hit as the Razr X MB's I am sure, but worth a look!!

Β 

if i'm Callaway - i would make him anything as far from the retail as possible to land him (if necessary)...perhaps the badging only remaining the same. if he didn't like that - i'd make the change. when you can land Rory - you do what's necessary.

Β 

Absolutely. And in fact, aren't they more likely to make him whatever he wants to keep him happy even without a contract? So they pay for tooling and CNC time to make him one offs, they keep him happy, he is seen playing their clubs,and they aren't paying Millions for him to do it.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Β 

Β 

Absolutely. And in fact, aren't they more likely to make him whatever he wants to keep him happy even without a contract? So they pay for tooling and CNC time to make him one offs, they keep him happy, he is seen playing their clubs,and they aren't paying Millions for him to do it.

See, everyone wins! :)

DRIVER:Β  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:Β  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:Β  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:Β  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:Β  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z GrindΒ 

PUTTER:Β  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:Β  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:Β  Testing

A man has to have options!

Β 

Anybody else notice he missed he last 3 fairways way left? Played out the trees 3 times.

Β 

Β 

What has that got to do with him hitting the driver left? His up and down game has nothing to do with it at all. Simply stating he hit three in a row left

Β 

Β 

What has that got to do with him hitting the driver left? His up and down game has nothing to do with it at all. Simply stating he hit three in a row left

Β 

And what does it matter that he hit 3 left, pros put bad swings on drives too. Or are you trying to argue that it was the driver. He hit 3 left still got up and down no big. First tournament round with new equipment and shoots 5 under is a great start regardless of what hes playin.

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5Β° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14Β° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21Β° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24Β° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50Β°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58Β°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

Different shaft in the fairways. Anyone notice what it was?

Taylormade Stealth+Β 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2Β 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+Β 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200Β 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100Β 5-PW: DG AMT X100
TitleistΒ SM8Β 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DBΒ 34"Β 

GripsΒ Lamkin FullΒ Cord; logo downΒ 

Β 

He switched from the kuro kage xts?

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5Β to PW - Nippon 125 X
VokeyΒ SM9 RawΒ - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Β 

Β 

Β 

You brought it up for a reason. You could have mentioned the drives before that just as easily.

Sounds like Rory said he might be making club changes throughout the season. That would further reinforce what others are saying, that he's not being paid.

Β 

Callaway custom made the irons, and of that I'm as sure as I could possibly be. 100%, take it to the bank, confirmed, fact.

Β 

And as previously stated, Callaway is not paying Rory. 100%.

Β 

Move on.

Β 

So does that mean their 2017 MB offered to consumers will be different?

Β 

These are the exact same irons Jason Gore was testing back in the late summer (well before Nike got out), so these are not one-offs for Rory but definitely prototypes. Even my source in the tour department there doesn't know exactly if these will become the retail blade or not.

Β 

I know Greg saw the blades Gore was testing, but wasn't allowed to photograph the back. Greg, are these indeed the same irons Gore was testing at your photo shoot?

Β 

Β 

Β 

You brought it up for a reason. You could have mentioned the drives before that just as easily.

Β 

Β 

I thought I read that the epic seems to want to go left for some people, I'm guessing that's why he brought it up?

Β 

Obviously its a swing thing as well, but there are definitely models that want to go left or right. I have to really try to hit a draw with my tour m2. This takes away my big left miss, so I'm happy.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5Β to PW - Nippon 125 X
VokeyΒ SM9 RawΒ - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Β 

He switched from the kuro kage xts?

7a30e36b16e0430a10e534c8c6c185ca.jpg

Taylormade Stealth+Β 10.5: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2Β 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade Stealth+Β 5-20: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200Β 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100Β 5-PW: DG AMT X100
TitleistΒ SM8Β 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DBΒ 34"Β 

GripsΒ Lamkin FullΒ Cord; logo downΒ 

From the wrx article

Β 

"The European Tour posted a story on Rory’s equipment change, which said TaylorMade’s M2 fairway woods were in his bag. McIlroy also has a set of set of Callaway Apex MB Prototype irons (3-PW) in his bag with Project X 7.0 steel shafts."

Β 

What was actually in the bag? Tmag or cally woods?

Β 

OverhaulΒ 

DriverΒ TestingΒ 

3wΒ Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g XΒ Β 

TitleistΒ MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist SpecΒ 

Vokey - TestingΒ 

Putter Β OPENΒ Β