Jordan Spieth gets into it with 'scums' seeking autograph

Yanki01

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously what is the point of having somebody's signature on a piece of paper. I would love to borrow their games for an afternoon but I'll never understand paying money online for a signature that means nothing personally to you because you had no personal connection to the celebrity when it was signed. The secondary market must exist if people are going through the trouble of collecting the signatures but I'll never figure out what the buyer is getting out of it. I would love the personal connection of meeting these guys and complementing them on their games but I wouldn't want or require a signature to validate that meeting. Getting a signature without the personal connection is worthless imo.

We don't get them on a piece of paper. if and when we ever did try to get signatures back in the day it would be on a baseball card, or jersey, or a picture.

And if that's not something you're into then great, go collect rocks or take up panting as a hobby for all I or we care; this is a hobby for some of us who are into athletics or entertainment.

if there is no money to be made then why are there groups of pros at every event , some regionnally recognozed as regulars , hawking autographs for resale ? there is money to be made...i have no idea why your jersey didnt sell , but these guys are making money off this or they wouldnt do it

I seriously think it's way overblown and a bit of a myth. Let's think about this.

If these alleged "professional" autograph seekers are out there, how could they make a living off of it? When I used to go down to get autos for out of town NHL teams that came to town with my cousin many times we would get autographs from seriously average players, some times below average players, not because we thought for a second we would profit off of them but because that was a hobby/collection we had.

You can't make more than probably a buck off a John Daly autograph, but he is probably one of the most sought after in pro golf today. So are you telling me there are guys out there that are scrounging for several dozen JD autos and are going to HOPE to move them on eBay without authentication?

They're not worth hardly anything. The forgeries that most likely flooded the market 10 plus years ago probably destroyed any market that was there. Seriously, who the hell would want any of this garbage??:

http://www.ebay.com/...tograph&_sop=15

On that thought, there are authentication services out there but they are not cheap. I have a Wayne Gretzky signed authentic LA Kings jersey I got from him in person, when the Coyotes came to town probably about 10 years ago when he was coaching them. I KNOW it is an authentic signature but I have to spend over $100 dollars to authenticate it; at that point let's say I can move it for $250 on eBay. Well the jersey (which I received as an 18th birthday present years ago) prbably cost $200 in itself. Where is the profit in that? And Gretzky is EASILY probably one of a handful of the most sought after signatures there is.

As I said I KNOW he signed it because I was one of four people that got his autograph that day, my cousin witnessed it and I have a picture of WG signing on Polaroid.

I just think most of you who think there is this big market and there are (allegedly) "professional" autograph hounds are terribly naive.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Drooling over celebrities and athletes baffles the hell out of me.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Seriously what is the point of having somebody's signature on a piece of paper. I would love to borrow their games for an afternoon but I'll never understand paying money online for a signature that means nothing personally to you because you had no personal connection to the celebrity when it was signed. The secondary market must exist if people are going through the trouble of collecting the signatures but I'll never figure out what the buyer is getting out of it. I would love the personal connection of meeting these guys and complementing them on their games but I wouldn't want or require a signature to validate that meeting. Getting a signature without the personal connection is worthless imo.

We don't get them on a piece of paper. if and when we ever did try to get signatures back in the day it would be on a baseball card, or jersey, or a picture.

And if that's not something you're into then great, go collect rocks or take up panting as a hobby for all I or we care; this is a hobby for some of us who are into athletics or entertainment.

if there is no money to be made then why are there groups of pros at every event , some regionnally recognozed as regulars , hawking autographs for resale ? there is money to be made...i have no idea why your jersey didnt sell , but these guys are making money off this or they wouldnt do it

I seriously think it's way overblown and a bit of a myth. Let's think about this.

If these alleged "professional" autograph seekers are out there, how could they make a living off of it? When I used to go down to get autos for out of town NHL teams that came to town with my cousin many times we would get autographs from seriously average players, some times below average players, not because we thought for a second we would profit off of them but because that was a hobby/collection we had.

You can't make more than probably a buck off a John Daly autograph, but he is probably one of the most sought after in pro golf today. So are you telling me there are guys out there that are scrounging for several dozen JD autos and are going to HOPE to move them on eBay without authentication?

They're not worth hardly anything. The forgeries that most likely flooded the market 10 plus years ago probably destroyed any market that was there. Seriously, who the hell would want any of this garbage??:

On that thought, there are authentication services out there but they are not cheap. I have a Wayne Gretzky signed authentic LA Kings jersey I got from him in person, when the Coyotes came to town probably about 10 years ago when he was coaching them. I KNOW it is an authentic signature but I have to spend over $100 dollars to authenticate it; at that point let's say I can move it for $250 on eBay. Well the jersey (which I received as an 18th birthday present years ago) prbably cost $200 in itself. Where is the profit in that? And Gretzky is EASILY probably one of a handful of the most sought after signatures there is.

As I said I KNOW he signed it because I was one of four people that got his autograph that day, my cousin witnessed it and I have a picture of WG signing on Polaroid.

I just think most of you who think there is this big market and there are (allegedly) "professional" autograph hounds are terribly naive.

This will probably not go over well. But maybe hockey is the issue ? Being from the south I can tell you that hockey has zero market down here. Like less than women's tennis. ( no offense meant to the ladies ). Maybe the market for it is stronger where you live but overall it has to still be less than other sports that are followed by a majority of the country and world. these pros getting autographs of Spieth and other stars aren't doing so to hang on their walls. My bet is they have retailers waiting for product and the product is sold before its signed.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This will probably not go over well. But maybe hockey is the issue ? Being from the south I can tell you that hockey has zero market down here. Like less than women's tennis. ( no offense meant to the ladies ). Maybe the market for it is stronger where you live but overall it has to still be less than other sports that are followed by a majority of the country and world. these pros getting autographs of Spieth and other stars aren't doing so to hang on their walls. My bet is they have retailers waiting for product and the product is sold before its signed.

Maybe you missed the entire moral of the post you're referring to? I used the NHL as an example in my experience.

Do you think the PGA is MORE popular than the NHL? I'd not be surprised at all to find that it's not. The average PGA pro...does anyone give a f*** about them? Highly unlikely.

My John Daly example I think is perfect example. Not long ago he was the biggest PGA draw on Tour outside of Tiger. And most times his signatures aren't worth the memorabilia they're written on.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Epic fail. No drooling - (and I won't respond how I really want to you since your post was clearly a low blow/potshot.)

As I said, if autographs aren't your thing, go collect rocks or seashells or some s***. You won't see me nagging you on about it.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

You are the naive one. I see these guys week after week with 2,3 or 4 bags of stuff to be signed. Albums full of players

's photos alphabetized, flags not only from the current event but 3-4 past Ryder Cup, President's Cup, all the majors from multiple years. There is no way they are doing it as collectors. They are involved in the selling, whether directly on e bay or to memorabilia clearing houses.

There are multiple groups of 10-15 guys/gals that work various regions of the US and I see the same people each year and have for the last seven or eight years.

So just because you don't think there's money to be made, it does happen. The groups look like gypsies/grifters!

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

It only takes one or two overzealous hounds to ruin it. You know what they say about a bad apple, right?

Getting autographs to me was more a rite of passage and in no way a means of a living. I grew out of it entering my teens. My lucky visor with every big name golfer of the era got so sweat stained as to render each John Hancock illegible.

The whole cult of personality thing is a big yawn to me.

Good for Jordan.

I'm ready for the barrage of HATE I'll receive for this post, but here goes...

Speith's pompous behavior just shines light on his true character. Who gives a flip why a person wants it? I sat and watched the King (Arnie) sign FOREVER at the TPC here and he was in his 80s at the time, didn't let one person miss out of his fantastic signature, no questions asked. It's a pity people with true class like the late Arnold Palmer are getting more rare and the new(er) generations are increasingly entitled little punks. A true pity.

Honestly, I was somewhat a Spieth fan...and then this. You spoiled, OVERPAID little punk...maybe some day you will realize you are beyond Godly gifted and blessed to have the opportunity to take an hour or two out of the week or two you spend the months you play during the season to display a little bit of integrity.

Won't really be rooting for you any longer, JORDAN. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%

Who cares why they want it. It's just an autograph. Be glad that somebody wants it. Isn't that your brand? The more its out there, the better for you.

If somebody is being disrespectful, then you can call that particular person out, but don't categorize all of them that way. Jordan just comes off as a punk to me. Never really understood why everyone crowns him as the good boy king on tour. There are much better examples of good guys out there.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

Maybe you missed the entire moral of the post you're referring to? I used the NHL as an example in my experience.

Do you think the PGA is MORE popular than the NHL? I'd not be surprised at all to find that it's not. The average PGA pro...does anyone give a f*** about them? Highly unlikely.

My John Daly example I think is perfect example. Not long ago he was the biggest PGA draw on Tour outside of Tiger. And most times his signatures aren't worth the memorabilia they're written on.

overall? i would wager pga is almost X2 whatever the NHL is.....

in the entire southern US if you are walking the street and see a guy or gal wearing an nhl jersey ( i cant remember ever seeing one) you could bet your life on where they are from...... from where ever the jersey is representing....99.999999% of the time.... Im not bagging on hockey... im sure if i were from the north i would have played...But in the south were we average less than a couple inches of snow a year and that stays for less than 24hours ...hockey isnt listed as a sport if you ask someone for their top 10 on the street

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

in the entire southern US if you are walking the street and see a guy or gal wearing an nhl jersey ( i cant remember ever seeing one) you could bet your life on where they are from...... from where ever the jersey is representing....99.999999% of the time.... Im not bagging on hockey... im sure if i were from the north i would have played...But in the south were we average less than a couple inches of snow a year and that stays for less than 24hours ...hockey isnt listed as a sport if you ask someone for their top 10 on the street

A bit off-topic, but as a business the NHL is at least 2-3x the size of the PGA Tour.

I'm ready for the barrage of HATE I'll receive for this post, but here goes...

Speith's pompous behavior just shines light on his true character. Who gives a flip why a person wants it? I sat and watched the King (Arnie) sign FOREVER at the TPC here and he was in his 80s at the time, didn't let one person miss out of his fantastic signature, no questions asked. It's a pity people with true class like the late Arnold Palmer are getting more rare and the new(er) generations are increasingly entitled little punks. A true pity.

Honestly, I was somewhat a Spieth fan...and then this. You spoiled, OVERPAID little punk...maybe some day you will realize you are beyond Godly gifted and blessed to have the opportunity to take an hour or two out of the week or two you spend the months you play during the season to display a little bit of integrity.

Won't really be rooting for you any longer, JORDAN. :rolleyes:

I agree with you 100%

Who cares why they want it. It's just an autograph. Be glad that somebody wants it. Isn't that your brand? The more its out there, the better for you.

If somebody is being disrespectful, then you can call that particular person out, but don't categorize all of them that way. Jordan just comes off as a punk to me. Never really understood why everyone crowns him as the good boy king on tour. There are much better examples of good guys out there.

Attending the local tour events here for 50 yrs. and seeing tour golf morph - and all that entails - I think Jordan deserves a pass on this one. There is a follow the money element of folks who look to siphon the spigot, and it's not just autographs. To each their own.

A bit off-topic, but as a business the NHL is at least 2-3x the size of the PGA Tour.

maybe so...but as a sport hockey isnt 2-3 times that of golf...

forbes shows each and every warm climate team at a loss in this link.... so what i see here isnt just my imagination.... also find it hilarious that i just found out we had an nhl team.. i truly had no idea..lol and im about the biggest sports fan i could be. the point beig that selling a hockey item may not draw the same size audience as one from golf, football , or baseball...... thats all

http://www.forbes.co...st/#tab:overall

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Are you going to avoid my JD example? He was the second biggest draw on Tour a couple years ago and his signature isn't worth hardly anything.

I can guarantee you a Kane, or Ovechkin, or McDavid, or insert name here well on down the line from Crosby ( to say nothing of retired players) that are more sought after than the top 5-20 of PGA pros.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Are you going to avoid my JD example? He was the second biggest draw on Tour a couple years ago and his signature isn't worth hardly anything.

And those poor schmucks who hoarded his memorobilia are now stuck..It must be a volatile market fraught with risk. Ha!

And I guarantee you there are more than one out there who did. Pretending they don't exist is laughable. They do.

I can guarantee you a Kane, or Ovechkin, or McDavid, or insert name here well on down the line from Crosby ( to say nothing of retired players) that are more sought after than the top 5-20 of PGA pros.

how do you knowhe was the 2nd biggest draw on tour? and if he was im certain he signs his own pics signed at his camper ( which i dont blame him) and signs way more than anyone else... thus flooding the market and explaining the low price

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

forbes shows each and every warm climate team at a loss in this link.... so what i see here isnt just my imagination.... also find it hilarious that i just found out we had an nhl team.. i truly had no idea..lol and im about the biggest sports fan i could be. the point beig that selling a hockey item may not draw the same size audience as one from golf, football , or baseball...... thats all

I don't know much about the memorabilia market for either. Maybe Zach Johnson's signature is worth way more than Zdeno Chara's. Who knows.

But its indisputable that the NHL is a much bigger business than the PGA Tour - really, all the pro golf tours combined. The NHL pays out close to $2 billion in salaries per year and the total PGA Tour purse is in the vicinity of $400M. Total player compensation is a rough proxy for overall size of business, but enough to show the huge gap between the two. If anything it probably understates the difference - given that the players are effectively the owners in golf, you'd expect the PGA Tour to pay out a higher percentage of income to the players.

Whatever lack of interest there is in the south is more than offset by the big northern cities and especially Canada.

lol ok you win.. hockey is UUUGE! lol

but the supplied autograph market info doesnt back that up...yes?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I was at the Diamonds resort celebrity classic last year and saw these professional autograph seekers in action. Its pretty pathetic. They have a bag of balls, photos and other items for players to sign. Bum rushing the athletes after every hole and after the round trying to shove as much Crap in their face for them to sign as the player will allow. Watched Josh Donaldson after signing 3 baseballs for a guy tell him to go bother Gary Sheffield when he tried handing him a 4th.

A grown man asking another grown man for an autograph is pathetic, buying a grown mans autograph online is even worse.

I was at the Diamonds resort celebrity classic last year and saw these professional autograph seekers in action. Its pretty pathetic. They have a bag of balls, photos and other items for players to sign. Bum rushing the athletes after every hole and after the round trying to shove as much Crap in their face for them to sign as the player will allow. Watched Josh Donaldson after signing 3 baseballs for a guy tell him to go bother Gary Sheffield when he tried handing him a 4th.

A grown man asking another grown man for an autograph is pathetic, buying a grown mans autograph online is even worse.

This^^^^ x1000 with emphasis on "Pathetic"

You just found out you have an NHL team?? With all due respect I don't think you're THAT big of a sports fan.

Is college football or basketball more popular than the NHL? (I've heard that talk before) I think it's plausible, especially at certain points of the year ("March madness", for example). But I think there is no denying the top 20 NHLERS are far more popular and/or recognizable that the top 20 golfers not only in North America but around the globe. Tiger WAS arguably the most famous athlete on the planet but he was a very rare generational exception.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Maybe. Maybe...I haven't been an autograph hound since my mid 20s, and I do view it totally different now.

But you know who I think are truly pathetic? Grown men who dress up in costumes and makeup every Sunday for their team's football game. Dingy as alllll hell..

You could also make the case for grown -ss men who are so into fantasy football their life revolves around. I find them extraordinarily freakin disturbing. But....maybe thats just me I guess. Lmao

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

im a huge sports fan .... But couldnt name a single current NHL player to save my life... football yes... soccer yes, nascar yes ( i dont watch) , golf yes, tennis yes, swimming yes, track and field ( big fan) yes, shooting sports, yes, fishing yes...... and the list goes on of things i watch... But locally you cannot turn the TV on and find a hockey game on say CBS sports or similar.... doesnt exist... there maybe a hockey network (not sure) , but outside that it doesnt come on TV here... maybe thats hardto believe but its true... and as for us having a team ... it was the carolina something ( would have to go back and look for the name) ...i assume they are out of charlotte ? which is an hour and half away..... yes they get no local TV coverage ? hmmm....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Maybe. Maybe...I haven't been an autograph hound since my mid 20s, and I do view it totally different now.

But you know who I think are truly pathetic? Grown men who dress up in costumes and makeup every Sunday for their team's football game. Dingy as alllll hell..

You could also make the case for grown -ss men who are so into fantasy football their life revolves around. I find them extraordinarily freakin disturbing. But....maybe thats just me I guess. Lmao

Dressing up for football is dorky to me also, but they aren't pushing young kids out of the way and aren't profiting as such. Dorky yes, but harmless.

Fantasy football is about gambling which is completely different from autograph profiteering.

The only autograph worthwhile is the one that has a good story to go along with it. Perhaps we sat at a bar together and chatted for a while. We sat next to each other on a flight and chatted for a while. We worked together on a business project.

Epic fail. No drooling - (and I won't respond how I really want to you since your post was clearly a low blow/potshot.)

As I said, if autographs aren't your thing, go collect rocks or seashells or some s***. You won't see me nagging you on about it.

Little thin skinned are we? I wasn't nagging or condemning. It is my opinion which this being a open forum I'm free to give. Just never had a desire to worship people I don't personally know. And I don't understand how having someones signature enhances my life other than to tell somebody else (that doesn't care) that I have it. If that's your thing, that's cool. I just don't get it and never will.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

hell ill agree with all those... never owned a team jersey , never will..... except my own.... mY 8 year old has a few...but hes 8

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Dressing up for football is dorky to me also, but they aren't pushing young kids out of the way and aren't profiting as such. Dorky yes, but harmless.

Fantasy football is about gambling which is completely different from autograph profiteering.

The only autograph worthwhile is the one that has a good story to go along with it. Perhaps we sat at a bar together and chatted for a while. We sat next to each other on a flight and chatted for a while. We worked together on a business project.

I think the makeup and costume middle aged NFL fans are mentally deranged, but as I said, maybe that's just me. Lmao

I also view fantasy sports fanatics as a little wishy washy, but again, maybe I'm in the minority. Otoh, you people view autograph seekers in the same light. See how that works?

I guess we all have our prejudices...?

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP