Jordan Spieth gets into it with 'scums' seeking autograph

Yanki01

Are you going to avoid Greg's (pga43) post? You are somehow trying back up your original argument by saying that the professional autograph seekers don't exist (by your use of the word "alleged" autograph seekers). Then you go on to try to back up that these "alleged" autograph seekers are made up by trying to use the reasoning that autographs are not worth much money. Then you further try to back that up with some random hockey jersey anecdote. See how convoluted your argument is becoming?

Please just stop. Greg, who has gone to tons of these events, has confirmed that these autograph seekers are real. So there is really no reason to keep on with hockey anecdotes or your convoluted argument for that matter.

It's a free country. Don't like some of my examples, don't read them.

Anyone beyond the top 5 OWGR players wouldn't be identified by John or Susie anywhere in America, maybe not outside of the top 3.

If Jordan has a problem with "professional" autograph seekers he should just scribble his name on their stuff, like John Daly said he does. If he thinks they're genuine, then bang 'em out like the great Arnold Palmer. (Although AP was classy enough to know you don't bite the hand that feeds you, so he would not have ever alleged as Spieth has)

"It's a free country. Don't like some of my examples, don't read them."

Yes it is a free country. Your examples to try to solidify your argument are just conjecture, since your argument has been proven wrong.

"Anyone beyond the top 5 OWGR players wouldn't be identified by John or Susie anywhere in America, maybe not outside of the top 3."

Even if true, what does this have to do with anything? Sounds like you are still trying to prove that autographs are not really worth anything to bolster your argument that these autograph seekers don't exist. Well, they do exist, so I do not see why you are still going on about this.

"If Jordan has a problem with "professional" autograph seekers he should just scribble his name on their stuff, like John Daly said he does. If he thinks they're genuine, then bang 'em out like the great Arnold Palmer. (Although AP was classy enough to know you don't bite the hand that feeds you, so he would not have ever alleged as Spieth has)"

These autograph seekers are definitely not the hand that feeds Spieth.

Jordan is a 20-something (22?) bloke worth a couple hundred million. If he has a problem with people (allegedly) making a few bucks off his autograph, then that's his issue, I guess.

But the guy hasn't had a hard day in his life (outside of maybe his sister getting picked on or some random stupidness)...the guy has probably been pampered beyond imagination and Godly gifted more than most people that have ever walked the earth. I'd wager the kid hasn't worked a hard day in his life at a real 9-5 type of deal. If he wants to take issue with (alleged) autograph hounds, that's for him to decide I guess.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to get the feel that Spieth blew off Joe for an autograph? tell us how you really feel, Joe.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

I'm starting to get the feel that Spieth blew off Joe for an autograph? tell us how you really feel, Joe.

was that Joe yesterday On 18 "Jordan you owe me an autograph"...

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I don't even want to meet Spieth. There are probably only a few players (senior or reg Tour) I would even care to meet. JD, Zach Johnson..maybe Bubba...that's about it. Perhaps Jack Nicklaus, but that's really about it. Just people who have went through struggles like I have, are Christians, or are true greats.

I got The King's autograph..and it sits on my wall right next to my college degrees. It's my favorite memento, even more so than my autographed Wayne Gretzky jersey.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

Bubba over Spieth?

To meet and have a drink with? Definitely would probably rather do that with Watson. As I said pages back here Spieth's attitude seems to be changing for the worse..

And those that I mentioned above (JD, ZJ, BW) is just examples of where I'm coming from. It was never really about profiting off anyone - it was always just because I am a fan, thus why I don't much care to meet or get anything from Spieth.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

I have a different take on this I guess. As a kid My father and I would visit Cooperstown quite often. We would go to hall of fame inductions, meet players, get autographs, etc. At one point we had every living member of the hall of fame, and most of the dead ones too... There were guys from the Negro League that would be there signing too and we went and got all of their autographs too. Every single big name player would charge, sometimes quite a bit for a signing. Most of the other guys signing at little set ups or card shops etc. would charge too. Whatever business set up the event set a price, paid the player, etc.. Sometimes you would have to buy their stuff at a premium to get signed. Lots of guys would refuse to sign period outside of whatever contractual obligations they had.. I sent a letter to Ted Williams once asking for an autograph, he was my favorite player and I even included a essay I wrote for my gradeschool class about him. I got a typed letter back from his manager denying the request.

In some sports like Baseball, Football.. And in music and movie stars, autographs are a big business, huge money. Whole economies are fed by these celebrities and athletes. I had a friend who use to travel and get big time musicians autographs on all sorts of stuff and on pic guards then mount them on accurate authentic guitars for display and sell them. He worked hard, and provided something that people were willing to pay for because there was demand and it was hard damn work to get close enough to these people to get a signature, it's even harder today though golf is still very accessible.

For some guys, especially big names that fell from grace in sports, or music, etc.. Autographs are the only revenue stream they have left. I'll never forget seeing that small room full of aging Negro League players sitting at those portable wooden tables signing and talking to a scant crowd, missing fingers, amputated legs, body's failing, no retirement or security... They were hawking they're name for a meager few bucks that a meager few people were interested... Meanwhile Stan Musial (who was a great guy by the way) is commanding 150 bucks a pop, and he was one of the cheaper ones during the one HOF weekend in question, some years ago.

Arnold Palmers solution was to just sign everything. Who cared if these poachers were gouging for his autograph, not only could it be a fake but moreso, if you really wanted his autograph, all you had to do was ask for it. Now that was a tremendous burden that he carried, and it must have been exhausting being him. But to my knowledge he never threw a tantrum, or insulted anyone, made fun of autograph seekers of any type.

Now I've never been in a position where anyone wants to pay for my signature on anything, and I understand that it's frustrating to see people trying to make a buck off of you're name. But the solution to that is to either 100% commercialize you're signature like Ted Williams and only sign and distribute for retail sale... Or realize you're money comes from another stream and you're signature is free and available for anyone who wants it.

Most of these autograph seekers either work for someone else who builds display stuff, or they build it themselves. Like my buddy with the guitars.. Hell sell you an authentic Lucille Archtop guitar signed by BB king for you to hang in you're living room, sometimes he can get gusy to play or actually wear some of the stuff and he'll take a picture. He hunted BB down, got him to sign the pic guard, bought the guitar, mounted the card, finished and sealed the autograph... advertised it... There is a lot of value added there. And if you're a BB fan, it may remind you of that concert you saw years ago every time you look at it...

These autograph seekers may be rude, but chances are they didn't start that way, maybe some of them don't even know who Speith is.. It could be the only way they know how to make money. But there is value there for someone because obviously there is demand.

So the question is why get so mad? Either A). You are truly disappointed that every person who wants you're autograph doesn't have one... Which in that case you can sign everything for every person every time. Or B). Strictly control what you sign and who you sign it for.

Not everyone has the opportunity to go to a Tour event and meet Speith. Not everyone wants to go through the trouble of finding an authentic piece of memorabilia to sign, then protect it, mount it artfully so it can be displayed by a fan, or business.

There are businesses that deal directly with athletes, and musicians, and movie stars.. And obviously the star is compensated for their participation, for some it's a needed source of revenue.

I applaud Speith for his commitment to kids and wanting to put them first. I think if anyone pushes, swears at, or insults any fan, but especially kids in the attempt to get an autograph they should be tossed on the spot. But delivering a verbal dressing down, insulting people, and telling them to get a job... When clearly their job is fighting for the scraps that fall from the buffet line... is in poor taste and beneath the example he's trying to set.

Just my humble opinion though, I could be, and usually am wrong.

Self righteous SJWs that are so vocal now days are quite a disturbed and confusing bunch.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

nope... good manners have kept folks quiet for a long time.. but theres always a breaking point

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm starting to get the feel that Spieth blew off Joe for an autograph?

I couldn't agree more Yank, lol. These last 4-5 pages are just dripping with jealousy and resentment, haha. Jordan is a sweetheart(from a girl's perspective), a gentleman and as I will not even begin to surmise about his upbringing, I will say that forgetting about his golf ability, any parent would be very very proud to raise a boy who turned into the man that Jordan has. To constantly compare someone's behavior to Arnold Palmer is not fair to either Mr. Palmer, who by his very beliefs and behavior did not hold himself up as a model of behavior and would speak honestly and openly to his faults if you knew him, and it is not fair to the individual being compared, because while Mr. Palmer was a Gentleman's Gentleman, he was a Man and as such had his own faults, as ALL do, both men and women. As one who worked three jobs to support my children when going through my apprenticeship, and while this taught me a lot about going beyond what I would have believed possible as a girl or young single woman, I have never nor would I ever judge someone by their upbringing, only judging them by their behavior. Jordan Speith is a man that any parent would be extremely proud to have raised. Having spent time with Jordan and talked with him away from the course, he is not "self righteous." Not even close. Nice thread Yank :) Madison

The subject of "professional" autograph seekers is a very divisive topic and when Richard was the Committee chair of the Marshalls for the 2007 Open at Oakmont, there was a split between the marshals as to whether these men(they were all men, lol, though Richard said if it was his business, he would pay some sweet attractive girls to get the autographs, hahaha. That might not be such a bad idea, lol) should be allowed to stand in the lines on the course and there was a contingent from Oakmont that did not want this permitted however Richard chose 4 individuals to represent the different marshalls' groups based on duties and he ruffled feathers because 3/4 representives were not from private clubs but the general public and none from Oakmont, lol. Richard knew that even if they were not represented as one of the four, there would be no shortage of advice, opinions and words from the Oakmont boys, hahaha. He was right.

The final word was that as long as these men conducted themselves as gentlemen and did not cause a "scene" and if a Player said something, they were to back off and walk away from that Player, then they would be allowed to ask(Richard's and 3/4 reps' opinion, lol). The Oakmont contingent was furious as they wanted them expelled from the property or not be allowed to ask for autographs but Richard was of the opinion that three of the four representatives shared, that if this was their job, so be it, let them do it as long as they did not cut in front of children or others and did not cause a scene. They only had one incident and Richard felt that it was the Oakmont volunteer's "fault," and he allowed the man to stay and gave him his tele # and said if anyone bothered him to not open his mouth but to call Richard. At the end of the tournament, he called Richard and presented him with an Oakmont flag(#1) and it was signed by Angel, Jim Furyk and Tiger(the top 3 finishers) and Richard thanked him, took it and had it framed for a Breast cancer charity event that autumn. At the charity event, at which there were Oakmont committee guys, they wanted to know WhereITH Richard got the flag as they were watching those like hawks during the tournament, hahaha. He just smiled and said "an Angel," lol. The flag brought $1200 that evening. Richard called, told the gentleman who gave it to him the good that his memorabilia did and he ended up sending Richard sports items that would fetch over $5000 at future auctions. Not all of these men are "scum" and not all the guys who belong to country clubs are arrogant elitist individuals :) Maddie

I couldn't agree more Yank, lol. These last 4-5 pages are just dripping with jealousy and resentment, haha. Jordan is a sweetheart(from a girl's perspective), a gentleman and as I will not even begin to surmise about his upbringing, I will say that forgetting about his golf ability, any parent would be very very proud to raise a boy who turned into the man that Jordan has. To constantly compare someone's behavior to Arnold Palmer is not fair to either Mr. Palmer, who by his very beliefs and behavior did not hold himself up as a model of behavior and would speak honestly and openly to his faults if you knew him, and it is not fair to the individual being compared, because while Mr. Palmer was a Gentleman's Gentleman, he was a Man and as such had his own faults, as ALL do, both men and women. As one who worked three jobs to support my children when going through my apprenticeship, and while this taught me a lot about going beyond what I would have believed possible as a girl or young single woman, I have never nor would I ever judge someone by their upbringing, only judging them by their behavior. Jordan Speith is a man that any parent would be extremely proud to have raised. Having spent time with Jordan and talked with him away from the course, he is not "self righteous." Not even close. Nice thread Yank :) Madison

giphy.gif

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Self righteous SJWs that are so vocal now days are quite a disturbed and confusing bunch.

I'm literally as far form a "self righteous SJW" as you can find yet I 100% disagree with your stance and 100% take-up for what Spieth did. I don't think Jordan telling autograph hounds to bounce is a generational thing by any means. Spieth seems like a complete class-act and if the guys were bothering him to the point he felt he needed to say something, I'm guessing it's more than likely that they were at fault and not him.

My .02 (because who doesn't like more commentary right?) So, I'm in my early 20's and have spent my entire life around sports. I attend as many events as I possibly can in person and thoroughly enjoy being present for that event, whatever it may be. When I was younger my dad would take me to spring training games and practices (bless you glorious Arizona) where I could get up close with my favorite players and be in awe when one of them actually took time out of their day to acknowledge me and spend a few moments signing my card or baseball. He taught me how to approach players and be respectful and to not get disappointed if they didn't stop for me. This was some fifteen years ago, flash forward to present day me and I still enjoy sharing time with the athletes I watch almost daily. When I was at the WMO a few weeks ago I was able to get pictures signed by Jordan and Rickie, both of whom took time for the people waiting and who were very personable with the crowd. These days I appreciate the more intricate aspects of the sport like watching Jordan read his lines on the practice green or seeing Rickie tinker with his setup on the range, however I still feel like a kid when I'm able to talk to Rickie about his playoff at THE PLAYERS or share a laugh with Jordan about something I saw on social media. I feel like when the time comes these items will make great additions to my home and when I look at them on the wall I can remember being at that certain event and interaction I shared with them.

Because I enjoy this, I am opposed to those who say you should never ask for another man's autograph. If it's special to that person then spare your judgement. However, I agree with Jordan when he's saying the professionals are out of hand. I've personally witnessed the "hounds" and dislike being grouped in with them. They are relentless and rude and literally will stop at nothing to get what they need to make a quick buck for that day's work. So to call Jordan pretentious for saying what he said is also unfair. I personally witnessed him hand gloves and balls to kids on the teebox during his rounds or make sure that anyone asking for a picture was taken care of. Personally, I can understand why he made his comments but also believe he could have said them differently. When I saw the article Thursday morning it was another 'here we go again' moment for me, I'm just hopeful players can distinguish who's there for profit among those who are there because that's genuinely their hobby. Hopefully this doesn't cause Jordan to be less interactive with the fans because he knows the impact his few seconds of time can have on someone, kids and adults alike.

My .02 (because who doesn't like more commentary right?) So, I'm in my early 20's and have spent my entire life around sports. I attend as many events as I possibly can in person and thoroughly enjoy being present for that event, whatever it may be. When I was younger my dad would take me to spring training games and practices (bless you glorious Arizona) where I could get up close with my favorite players and be in awe when one of them actually took time out of their day to acknowledge me and spend a few moments signing my card or baseball. He taught me how to approach players and be respectful and to not get disappointed if they didn't stop for me. This was some fifteen years ago, flash forward to present day me and I still enjoy sharing time with the athletes I watch almost daily. When I was at the WMO a few weeks ago I was able to get pictures signed by Jordan and Rickie, both of whom took time for the people waiting and who were very personable with the crowd. These days I appreciate the more intricate aspects of the sport like watching Jordan read his lines on the practice green or seeing Rickie tinker with his setup on the range, however I still feel like a kid when I'm able to talk to Rickie about his playoff at THE PLAYERS or share a laugh with Jordan about something I saw on social media. I feel like when the time comes these items will make great additions to my home and when I look at them on the wall I can remember being at that certain event and interaction I shared with them.

Because I enjoy this, I am opposed to those who say you should never ask for another man's autograph. If it's special to that person then spare your judgement. However, I agree with Jordan when he's saying the professionals are out of hand. I've personally witnessed the "hounds" and dislike being grouped in with them. They are relentless and rude and literally will stop at nothing to get what they need to make a quick buck for that day's work. So to call Jordan pretentious for saying what he said is also unfair. I personally witnessed him hand gloves and balls to kids on the teebox during his rounds or make sure that anyone asking for a picture was taken care of. Personally, I can understand why he made his comments but also believe he could have said them differently. When I saw the article Thursday morning it was another 'here we go again' moment for me, I'm just hopeful players can distinguish who's there for profit among those who are there because that's genuinely their hobby. Hopefully this doesn't cause Jordan to be less interactive with the fans because he knows the impact his few seconds of time can have on someone, kids and adults alike.

One, I like your nickname, lol?

Two, your Parents are to be commended because they raised a bright, polite well grounded articulate young Man!! Regardless of where another stands on an issue, never lose this class that you display here. Oh, and Please be sure to take a minute or two to thank them some time because only as you age and grow and the years pass will you realize just how fortunate that you are and what an amazing job that your Parents did!

Third, Great post!!

Very Nicely Played?️

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friend

RP(Jake?)

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

LMFAO?

Dave's right Sweetie, you are becoming just a younger blonder more beautiful female version of me??

Actually, ya still basically work two jobs cuz being with me is a full time job, lmao

Hope your lessons went well?

Always,

Me

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I'm literally as far form a "self righteous SJW" as you can find yet I 100% disagree with your stance and 100% take-up for what Spieth did. I don't think Jordan telling autograph hounds to bounce is a generational thing by any means. Spieth seems like a complete class-act and if the guys were bothering him to the point he felt he needed to say something, I'm guessing it's more than likely that they were at fault and not him.

Was I talking to you? I left it rhetorical and open-ended for a reason... (as a Chicago rapper once said "if you're hurt by my words then it's you that I'm addressing...")

I am in my 30s and a lot of what I see from the generations below me leaves me in disgust. I'll just leave it at that.

(And again, that is not necessarily directed at you...lol)

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

completely cucked

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... a 22 YEAR OLD! See what I mean??

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

We need Matsuyama to come squash this thread to death in his typical, psychopathic manner

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Just a note if you try to act tough in PM's you don't have to **** out your swear words

GolfWRX's system does it by default, genius.

Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP

If we were all as centered and balanced as you.....

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX