2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Matsuyama reaction after every shot annoying

golf1010

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Side note, that squeaky video posted above. Never realized how hard he comes through the ball or the crisp sound of contact. Wow.

Yeah. Dude brings it. He's a meaty guy. Lots of power there.

And those legs.... There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe those legs...

And learn to speak American if your gonna play in 'Mercia!

Also Justin Rose's sunglasses are stupid looking.

Keegan Bradley needs to wear actual golf shoes.

Andrew Johnston needs to shave.

No complaints with Adam Scott, he's dreamy.

He's is learning English and from what I understand he speaks fairly well in normal conversation. However, when addressing the media he's not quite comfortable yet. There is a lot slang, jargon etc in the English language, the doesn't want to misuse it and offend anyone. Again, this is just my understanding.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I love his response. He expects to hole everything or land every drive in a predetermined spot the size of a dime. When he misses he isn't happy. Same for us all. His miss just is smaller than the ops. That's all.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Excellent player but he is very slow and his over the top reactions to decent shots have become tiresome. Very much a case of too much #TourSauce.

Looking at the way he comes out of those swings way left and off balance, I can hardly blame him for being frustrated.

Bad shots on tour are a lot different than bad shots for me, well maybe except for Phil.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Excellent player but he is very slow and his over the top reactions to decent shots have become tiresome. Very much a case of too much #TourSauce.

Looking at the way he comes out of those swings way left and off balance, I can hardly blame him for being frustrated.

Bad shots on tour are a lot different than bad shots for me, well maybe except for Phil.

Like my bad shots, they usually end up in chip-in eagles. Just like Phil. True story. :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'll agree that his misses are going to be smaller than a lot of ours, but his reactions to misses that are 15ft right or left are way more outlandish than other tour pros when they miss 30 ft right or left. He wants perfection, unfortunately golf is a game where that's unachievable. What gets me more about him though is his very slow and meticulous play.

He's is learning English and from what I understand he speaks fairly well in normal conversation. However, when addressing the media he's not quite comfortable yet. There is a lot slang, jargon etc in the English language, the doesn't want to misuse it and offend anyone. Again, this is just my understanding.

Pretty sure the post you quoted was being sarcastic about the recent threads started by people complaining about some players' idiosyncrasies. Your point about Matsuyama is right though, he's learning English as best he can and I don't like it when people think there's something amiss that he hasn't become proficient enough to speak it comfortably. It's not like he's trying to piss off Western audiences.

I agree. I like HIdeki but the one hand club thing when the ball is in the center of the fairway or 2 ft from the cup has to stop. I play with a lot of college D1 players and 80% of them do the same thing. When i ask about the dramatic release of the club they say the same thing "didn't catch it flush". I then say to them "you'll never make it in golf if you have to react to every shot that isn't flushed." They then look at me like i have 4 heads.

Obviously Hideki has made it in golf but if he holds himself to some impossible standard he is in for bitter disappointment with his career in golf.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Exactly, for all the flack others take ... can't believe the announcers aren't shelling this guy. He stands over the ball for an eternity on every single shot.

Does every player get a hate thread when they start winning?

I'd say "you must be new here" but I see that's not the case.

So the short answer, is yes. But the reality is, they don't even have to win.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Pretty sure the post you quoted was being sarcastic about the recent threads started by people complaining about some players' idiosyncrasies. Your point about Matsuyama is right though, he's learning English as best he can and I don't like it when people think there's something amiss that he hasn't become proficient enough to speak it comfortably. It's not like he's trying to piss off Western audiences.

Great point. I apologize to Drudersh for not picking up on that.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I tend to find it entertaining, it doesn't bother me at all.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

If they haven't gotten several already - then they just intensify.

I remember the good old 80s and early 90s when we were told golfers were too boring, plain vanilla, no reactions. I guarantee the same people ragging on Matsuyama, Spieth, whomever would have railed against Seve's individual theatrics and attitude had there been internet forums.

Side note, that squeaky video posted above. Never realized how hard he comes through the ball or the crisp sound of contact. Wow.

And those legs.... There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe those legs...

WoW, a powerful meaty Dude with incredible legs who's list of superlatives defies the English language that brings it!!!

I'm gettin all tingly and feel a man-crush comin on?

I agree. I like HIdeki but the one hand club thing when the ball is in the center of the fairway or 2 ft from the cup has to stop. I play with a lot of college D1 players and 80% of them do the same thing. When i ask about the dramatic release of the club they say the same thing "didn't catch it flush". I then say to them "you'll never make it in golf if you have to react to every shot that isn't flushed." They then look at me like i have 4 heads.

Obviously Hideki has made it in golf but if he holds himself to some impossible standard he is in for bitter disappointment with his career in golf.

I was sitting at the table last season after the guys got in and there was a DII college kid from Fla and his father had backed him in the Vegas swat that was Played that day(we laughed at the lil bois who's daddies backed them cuz trust me, the air is a lot thinner when it's YOUR $1400 riding on this next 8' putt ;) ) cuz he wanted him to have the experience and pressures of a money game. I told his father him backin the kid basically taught him nothing other than daddy would always be there to clean up his garbage. I equated him payin his son's losses(his daddy handed Nathan Smith an $1800 check, lmao) was akin to being able to "tap out" in a bar fight.

His father, in a sky blue polo golf shirt, pastel yellow chinos and AE Pennies with no socks, looked at me like "WTF," LMAO

Anywho, he has this diva theatrical act down to Tour level and said the same thing as your Bois said Nathan, who is THE Classiest and Nicest Am that I've met in my 49 years in the game, informed him that Hogan hit 3 "flushed" per round, TOPS, and that Nathan, who skinned this kid alive this day with 5 birds and an eagle, had hit what he considered 3 "flushed" shots, lol

Kids?

Stay well my Friend,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

so how is that theory working for you ? think about it .. Hideki is doing pretty well isn't he ?

I

agree with you for the most part... but I understand where he is coming from .... you try to hit a shot to a spot and you want it to spin right or left.. ive hit plenty that are middle of the green pin high that I dodnt catch right to feed to the hole and been pissed about it ... and certain playing partners cant understand it ... saying " your pin high on the green "... yes but that miss is just as big as the one you just pushed into the bunker and are mad about... same same ...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Great point. I apologize to Drudersh for not picking up on that.

No worries my friend. I thought the Adam Scott dreamy line would make it pretty clear but perhaps not. While my wife thinks Adam Scott is super dreamy, I only think his golf swing is dreamy. Like if he asked me to hang out I'd say yes obviously, but only for something super manly like hunting or deep sea fishing or noodling for catfish.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Despite all the backlash in this thread, I see where you are coming from OP, but I may have worded it a little differently.

There is no question that Hideki leads the field every week in one handed follow-throughs that end up 6 feet from the hole (or 325 down the middle of the fairway.) I wouldn't say it has made me dislike him - his is a great player - but there have been plenty of times I have seen his reaction to a shot that ended up being a great shot and it make me shake my head and chuckle.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

his reaction after some of the shots is based on how he felt when he strikes the ball and maybe the initial flight of the ball, not the end result.

we all have hit some slightly thin or fat shot but it turned out to be a "good" shot.

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

you sound like my childhood friend...She's into big chunky legs on guys lol...disqualifies me immediately

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Look, the kid's obviously a perfectionist and I doubt that, unlike a lot of these HS and college bois, it's an act, and who can say what his feelings are or will be now, five years down the road or twenty years from now. We all have different types of fires that fuel us and those who perform at Hideki's level have a different type AND intensity. Hey, no one was harder on themselves than Curtis, and say what ya will, there is no one on this board whose has achieved what he has, so let's keep the chirping to a whisper please?

Boi, I can be a dick when they're late with my meds, huh, LMAO ?

I'm just joshin, Hideki's gonna flame out ?In the next 2-3 years

Have a great weekend Gents and please remember my tip 'o the day~

Don't EVER put your iron in the bag when there's a guy coming at you gripping his like a baseball bat?

You're welcome?

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I followed his group today and it was disgusting how long he takes on every shot. We had to move as it was a problem and the group behind was on their tail. The guy would not pull out his book or look at the shot until it was his turn. Slow play is ruining the game of golf and the ratings prove it.

Ratings? There was no sense of anyone playing slow while watching, except for Day agonizing over a couple putts, and no suggestion his group was out of position. Missed the whole disgusting part of the golf yesterday and if an extraordinary amount of time was taken it wasn't being shown on TV in a way that would have affected ratings.

Thursday they show everyone because there are no clear leaders. Thurs & Fri have twice as many golfers to watch then on the weekend. Weekends are painfully slow and again it is hurting the ratings!

F9 9 degree Diamana white.  70G
Epic SZ 15 degree Diamana white 70G
M3 19 Hyrbrid Diamana white 90G
R11 7 wood Fuji something old school
4-pw J40 CB Modus 130 S
52,56,60 DD scratch 8810
Pointy looking thing. 
Srixon Z star

I heard from a guy who works at Baskin Robbins, who spoke to a guy, who knows a guy that once saw Hideki at a Hobby Lobby. Hideki doesn't care....at least that's what I heard.

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I'd say "you must be new here" but I see that's not the case.

So the short answer, is yes. But the reality is, they don't even have to win.

That's true. There's always some righteous indignation about something. Just expect it. :)

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I followed his group today and it was disgusting how long he takes on every shot. We had to move as it was a problem and the group behind was on their tail. The guy would not pull out his book or look at the shot until it was his turn. Slow play is ruining the game of golf and the ratings prove it.

Ratings? There was no sense of anyone playing slow while watching, except for Day agonizing over a couple putts, and no suggestion his group was out of position. Missed the whole disgusting part of the golf yesterday and if an extraordinary amount of time was taken it wasn't being shown on TV in a way that would have affected ratings.

Thursday they show everyone because there are no clear leaders. Thurs & Fri have twice as many golfers to watch then on the weekend. Weekends are painfully slow and again it is hurting the ratings!

I think that's a production issue. If the network is showing enough golf vs. ads and keeping things moving because there are plenty of golf shots available to show. And they really don't show twice as many on Thursday and Friday, it's the usual suspects and the leaders. Yesterday they go to Sam Saunders "cleaning up" with the first guy making the call not even noticing he was putting for birdie to take the lead. He got the short end of the stick and he was in the mix. Only thing killing ratings is Tiger's back, otherwise they kind of are what they are. Networks need better presentation, IMO.

you sound like my childhood friend...She's into big chunky legs on guys lol...disqualifies me immediately

haha.. I was being sarcastic by the way. The commentators can't seem to get over those "tree trunk thighs" of his.

Re-occurring thread.

Just change player!

Spieth...

Bubba...

Tiger...

Goosen...

Furyk...

Matsuyama...

The beat goes on!!

Yep. Every time a player enters the top 5 in WR .... everyone starts to voice their opinion about every insignificant little detail. Funny how no one brings up these issues with the journeyman (women) who miss cuts. Explains Tiger's behavior.