2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

ANA rules issue (Merged)

Man_O_War

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It never should have been allowed for consideration...

Her playing partner was watching the whole thing... playing partner is responsible for protecting the field... she saw nothing worth mentioning so it should have been done and over at that point.

Lexi is also responsible for that. I fully agree that the rule is horrible and specially that you get 4 penalty strokes, but what was she thinking? She is marking the ball and its easy to see that she tries to find another spot to replace it. Thats the kind of stuff you do when you play a practise round with friends if your ball lies on a little "hole" or something on the green. Im the first to say i want to make the rules "softer" and easier to follow and getting the penalty strokes today is just ridicolous. But she is asking for penalty strokes when she does what she did. Its easy to see she did it on purpose. If she doesnt get penalty strokes for it, they say that its fine to put the ball down 2 centimeters away from where you marked it.... They just cant let it pass. Problem for me is that its 4 strokes and not 1 or 2 and that they didnt find it out yesterday before the scorecard was signed.

It isn't allowed in any other sport, despite the fact that in almost every other sport the TV coverage is equal on the teams. In golf, the entire field isn't televised. It is patently unfair and a serious equity problem when it comes to applying the rules. It's stupid and must stop. If you don't trust players to call on themselves then assign a referee to each group, give them ultimate authority on calling penalties, and stop accepting the armchair calls.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I am still sitting here with my jaw dropped that a viewer has that much influence on a live sport. Let alone a major.

TM M1 10.5* w/ Graphite Designs Tour ADBB6s
TM M2 15* w/ HZRDUS black
Nike VR Pro Combo 3 & 4 irons // in need of: TM P790 3-5 irons
Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-pw // in competition: TM P770 6-pw
Nike Engage Square sole 52* Toe Sweep 56*, 60*
Nike Method Matter B201
TM TP5X ball

If Lexi does not win I can only hope that whoever does win voices her displeasure about this ridiculous rules decision [in no uncertain terms] during her acceptance speech. Somebody needs to 'call out' the people that decided to make this idiotic decision.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Just because the round is over doesn't mean the competition is over

Should there be a time limit for things like this in your mind, Vindog? Should calling in rules infractions be allowed at all?

Close of competition is the time limit and I'm okay with that.

Call ins? Well that's delicate. I have a hard time believing that it's just some schmoe calling in. But then again, was it a penalty or not. If this was mid round would it be a penalty? What is the logical difference? Suck for her and I feel bad though.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Just because the round is over doesn't mean the competition is over.

Just be happy she wasn't DQd

Fine. Record all shots by all players and review. It's unfair that that some players are on TV more and under that intense scrunitity. Also so far after the fact??? Some slob at home DVR'ed the 3rd round and is watching it on Sunday and then emails in the infraction. Garbage.

Her playing partner was watching the whole thing... playing partner is responsible for protecting the field... she saw nothing worth mentioning so it should have been done and over at that point.

Lexi is also responsible for that. I fully agree that the rule is horrible and specially that you get 4 penalty strokes, but what was she thinking? She is marking the ball and its easy to see that she tries to find another spot to replace it. Thats the kind of stuff you do when you play a practise round with friends if your ball lies on a little "hole" or something on the green. Im the first to say i want to make the rules "softer" and easier to follow and getting the penalty strokes today is just ridicolous. But she is asking for penalty strokes when she does what she did. Its easy to see she did it on purpose. If she doesnt get penalty strokes for it, they say that its fine to put the ball down 2 centimeters away from where you marked it....

I'm fine with the 2 shot penalty for playing from the wrong spot.... but the 2 for signing an incorrect card stinks.

Why didn't the playing partner question it? Watch the tape... she was staring at the whole thing.... obviously Lexi didn't think she was doing anything wrong, but her playing partner should have jumped in and said "hey, that didn't look right!" Since she didn't, it's over.....

When the card is signed by both the player and official, that should be the end of it.

Allowing fans to call in and impact the outcome of any event, let alone a MAJOR, shows the USGA/LPGA/PGA as completely incompetent.

Titleist TSR2+ 3 wood

Cobra AMP Cell 2,3 hybrids

Cobra Bio Cell 4 hybrid

Cobra RF Forged MB 5-PW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, 58* Wedges
Toulon Indianapolis putter

Good Lord, I've seen PGA pros throw a marker in from the side and then put the ball back obviously closer to the hole...less than an inch. Definitely a BS call, but I'm sure the peanut brain that called it in has been playing with himself ever since as he sits in from of his TV in his depends pixel peeping.. Any guesses what his handicap is? This is the only sport that allows viewers to call in and impact the final result and worse after the fact. How about call ins on traveling in the NBA, holding in the NFL.. also doesn't each group have a rules official with them at these major tournaments. That is who should call this stuff not some root cellar dweller from home.

Or if the golf tours continue to allow this there needs to be a way of identifying the reporter. Like when you sign up for some information there is often times a click to confirm email right after.. If it is so important to that person they shouldn't use the anonymous nature of the internet to shield their obvious cowardly like nature..

Lexi is also responsible for that. I fully agree that the rule is horrible and specially that you get 4 penalty strokes, but what was she thinking? She is marking the ball and its easy to see that she tries to find another spot to replace it. Thats the kind of stuff you do when you play a practise round with friends if your ball lies on a little "hole" or something on the green. Im the first to say i want to make the rules "softer" and easier to follow and getting the penalty strokes today is just ridicolous. But she is asking for penalty strokes when she does what she did. Its easy to see she did it on purpose. If she doesnt get penalty strokes for it, they say that its fine to put the ball down 2 centimeters away from where you marked it.... They just cant let it pass. Problem for me is that its 4 strokes and not 1 or 2 and that they didnt find it out yesterday before the scorecard was signed.

I understand what you are saying, but... Is it 'okay' to put the ball down 1 centimeter away from where you marked it? How about ½ centimeter away? Is ¼ centimeter away close enough?

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

Uh-ho - Petterson just 'tested the green surface' with her hands before putting out!!!

Lexi is also responsible for that. I fully agree that the rule is horrible and specially that you get 4 penalty strokes, but what was she thinking? She is marking the ball and its easy to see that she tries to find another spot to replace it. Thats the kind of stuff you do when you play a practise round with friends if your ball lies on a little "hole" or something on the green. Im the first to say i want to make the rules "softer" and easier to follow and getting the penalty strokes today is just ridicolous. But she is asking for penalty strokes when she does what she did. Its easy to see she did it on purpose. If she doesnt get penalty strokes for it, they say that its fine to put the ball down 2 centimeters away from where you marked it....

I'm fine with the 2 shot penalty for playing from the wrong spot.... but the 2 for signing an incorrect card stinks.

Why didn't the playing partner question it? Watch the tape... she was staring at the whole thing.... obviously Lexi didn't think she was doing anything wrong, but her playing partner should have jumped in and said "hey, that didn't look right!" Since she didn't, it's over.....

Ye the whole situation is weird and i respect and feel for Lexi, i really do but i feel that one thing that really gets overlooked is that she is asking for trouble when she did what she did. Its a mistake you just cant make and everyone knows it. By far the biggest problem for me about this situation is that they didnt tell her prior to signing the scorecard. One rule i really think they should change is that a player cant get penalty strokes that they get because they break another rule. So if one rule breach leads directly to another rule breach, you only get the penalty strokes for the first situation.

Lexi birdies another to take the lead back - 4 players 1 shot back - actually 5 shots back LPGA!

LPGA trying to force Lexi to win by at least 5 shots to give her the trophy!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Another stupid ruling. Amazing. When will these idiots learn?

Who is to blame? The LPGA rules committee?

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Fine. Record all shots by all players and review. It's unfair that that some players are on TV more and under that intense scrunitity. Also so far after the fact??? Some slob at home DVR'ed the 3rd round and is watching it on Sunday and then emails in the infraction. Garbage.

You do have a point about the inequity of TV time. Like I said it's delicate. But again, I am totally good with close of competition as the time limit.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

are we all incensed because she is so likable? what if this was Tiger v Phil and Tiger made this error or Phil made this error, I would imagine records being broken on WRX lol

1) this is Lexis fault for mismarking the ball

2) it's still stupid to let call ins have a bearing on a tournament

3) the rule again has to change

4) even though it IS a penalty, Lexis response with birdies are unreal, and if she can find a way

To stay on this and win, could really catapult in to the stratosphere

You do have a point about the inequity of TV time. Like I said it's delicate. But again, I am totally good with close of competition as the time limit.

No. It's BS to have people from outside watching replays and calling in rules infractions. And speaking of TV, that ruling last year where a club brushed two grains of sand was BS too. This sort of crap makes me not want to watch these events any longer.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I understand what you are saying, but... Is it 'okay' to put the ball down 1 centimeter away from where you marked it? How about ½ centimeter away? Is ¼ centimeter away close enough?

ye i understand what you are saying and i dont know how far away from the original spot she placed it but it was pretty easy to see that she intentionally tried to put it down on a different spot. That was the only reason she marked the ball because she didnt look comfortable with the ground or whatever it was where the ball was in the first place.

Relevant Decision:

Decision 18/4 Television Evidence Shows Ball at Rest Changed Position But by Amount Not Reasonably Discernible to Naked Eye

Q. A player addresses his ball. He observes a slight motion of the ball but believes that it has only oscillated and has not left its original position. He therefore plays the ball as it lies. Later, the Committee becomes aware from television evidence that the ball had in fact left its position and come to rest in another place, although that change of position was such that it was not reasonably discernible to the naked eye at the time of the incident. What is the ruling?

A. The ball is deemed not to have moved and therefore there is no penalty under Rule 18-2. The Definition of "Moved" - when a ball "leaves its position and comes to rest in any other place" - does not contemplate movements of the ball that are only discernible through the use of high definition television or any other form of sophisticated technology.

When determining whether or not his ball at rest has moved, a player must make that judgment based on all the information readily available to him at the time, so that he can determine whether the ball must be replaced under Rule 18-2 or another applicable Rule. When the player's ball has left its original position and come to rest in another place by an amount that was not reasonably discernible to the naked eye at the time, a player's determination that the ball has not moved will be deemed to be conclusive, even if that determination is later shown to be incorrect through the use of sophisticated technology.

On the other hand, if the Committee determines, based on all of the evidence it has available, that the ball changed its position by an amount that was reasonably discernible to the naked eye at the time, the ball is deemed to have moved. As the player did not replace the ball, he incurs a penalty under the applicable Rule and Rule 20-7c for playing from a wrong place.

These principles apply to any review of technological evidence by the Committee, whether before the player makes his next stroke or any time thereafter. These principles also apply in a situation in which the player made no determination whether or not his ball at rest moved (e.g., because he had walked away from his ball after addressing it, was not looking at his ball, or otherwise did not observe any motion of the ball or have any reason to believe that his ball might have moved).

Before determining whether his ball has moved, it is advisable for the player to obtain information from nearby witnesses to the incident and to seek guidance from a referee if one is immediately available.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Just because the round is over doesn't mean the competition is over

Should there be a time limit for things like this in your mind, Vindog? Should calling in rules infractions be allowed at all?

Close of competition is the time limit and I'm okay with that.

Call ins? Well that's delicate. I have a hard time believing that it's just some schmoe calling in. But then again, was it a penalty or not. If this was mid round would it be a penalty? What is the logical difference? Suck for her and I feel bad though.

I'm against the armchair call-in because the only players it effects are those being televised. It's inherently unfair. I'm with you on the end-of-day limit on rules decisions. The only exception is if an intentional rules infraction is discovered after the fact, in which case the player should be DQ'd IMO.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

The biggest load of total BS. I hope the USGA passes the rule that prevents this kind of asinine behavior from happening. Bad enough to call in from home...but calling in 24 hours after the fact? Total crap. I get the rules are the rules...but it's bias as what about the non-intentional violations by players who aren't under the cameras because they aren't contending? Seems like there is a bias there because if you leading or contending...all the home referees have access. If you're not then you're under the radar.

If I won a tournament like this...I would NOT be jumping in the pond...after all you didn't win it...you got a BS gift from a home based umpire...and that is no way to really win. If I didn't win it because I was the best, but because of BS misfortune...then it's a hollow victory.

And when Lexi wins anyway, she shouldn't jump in the pond!

F^(k 'em!

Texsport

P S Mike Tirico - shut up - you are not an expert on golf!

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter