2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hagestad anchoring??

avgjoe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been waiting for this and am surprised it took this long. I frantically scoured the tournament thread and found nothing NOTHING. ;)

if anyone can tell that he's anchoring from those videos, they're lying. I would assume that his fellow competitors would be watching every now and again.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Probably worth noting that's an Australian sports writer and the ultimate goal with that article is to claim that Australian Curtis Luck should have won low amateur. Not exactly unbiased reporting there.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

Probably worth noting that's an Australian sports writer and the ultimate goal with that article is to claim that Australian Curtis Luck should have won low amateur. Not exactly unbiased reporting there.

Yeah, he took some liberties with the title...

I wouldn't say the Masters was "rocked" by cheating. Maybe a smaller pool of Australian golf fans were upset, but as Vindog noted, it barely registered a blip on GolfWRX.

Btw, did y'all know a guy on the champions tour is also doing this???

I think he is a German guy...it's rarely been discussed so details are scarce on golfrwrx...

-Chris

Srixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White 2* up
dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape

didn't see him play/putt, but this guy thinks so.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/golf/a/34978306/stewart-hagestad-cheating-anchoring-putts-masters-golf-low-amateur/#page1

is this another case of "writing is easy"? discuss

Didn't see him play but I thought I'd post anyway -

that's a brilliant idea, but sadly not original.

It's unusual for the Australian media to take any kind of defeat badly... :russian_roulette:

PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
PXG Operator H - 34.5”
Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
Bridgestone Tour B X

KaBoom Baby!

This whole is he/isnt he anchoring argument with the guys that still use the long putter is really getting sad and tired, whether its Langer or now Hagestad.

I mean, its ridiculous...the guy has the week of a lifetime as a mid-am - something he'll probably never replicate again as he says he has no interest in playing major tournament golf and will return to his work- and some writer wants to tear him down because he beat the Australian amateur who is now turning professional.

These guys say they dont anchor, and they are no doubt reviewed by tournament officials. They say they're OK. No playing partners or other competitors complain. I just dont get it. Let the guys play.

This whole is he/isnt he anchoring argument with the guys that still use the long putter is really getting sad and tired, whether its Langer or now Hagestad.

I mean, its ridiculous...the guy has the week of a lifetime as a mid-am - something he'll probably never replicate again as he says he has no interest in playing major tournament golf and will return to his work- and some writer wants to tear him down because he beat the Australian amateur who is now turning professional.

These guys say they dont anchor, and they are no doubt reviewed by tournament officials. They say they're OK. No playing partners or other competitors complain. I just dont get it. Let the guys play.

well ya but ....but .... Laaaannngeeerrr.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Unfortunately there are is a group of people out there that want to be the one to catch somebody doing something. It's big Brother at it's finest. Before the round had ended yesterday, someone had called in and said Sergio moved his ball in the straw at 13. The committee had already reviewed the footage and determined the ball didn't move. Who knows why this is all of a sudden such an issue. Maybe it's professional gamblers on Draft Kings trying to get more points for their team...

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

Of course absolutely cheating just as Langer does. The "rules" of this gentlemen's game are always subject to the vagueriesof popularity and stature. Remember, we watch Kevin Na, and Ben Crane and a bunch of others break the rule on pace of play virtually every shot, certainly every tournament they play,,,,, who get's the first and only stroke penalty in memory? A teenage amateur.

I believe (perhaps wishful thinking) that Langer would not be given that gentlemen's free pass to cheat his way to Schwab Cup after Schwab Cup on the regular tour. Tim Clark, Adam Scott, Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley....none of them would have a tour card without anchoring. Scott is sooo good with the rest of his clubs that he may be the exception.

We have a guy at our club who thinks he is Langer, and nobody has had the temerity to call him on it.....well I'll let you know how it goes in about 60 days during the Sr. Club Championship cause I am gonna be THAT guy. Won't be popular, but hell rules are rules.

If I see a guy contorting his face and arms on National TV, I am gonna say he did it, no matter how many times he says he didn't and no matter how popular he may be.

EDIT- to be clear, I think people calling or emailing in to professional tournaments are tools of the highest order, and I cannot fathom why these agencies answer these calls literally OR figuratively.

Of course absolutely cheating just as Langer does. The "rules" of this gentlemen's game are always subject to the vagueriesof popularity and stature. Remember, we watch Kevin Na, and Ben Crane and a bunch of others break the rule on pace of play virtually every shot, certainly every tournament they play,,,,, who get's the first and only stroke penalty in memory? A teenage amateur.

But...then...wouldn't Hagestad get the penalty....becasue he's an AM, following this thought process through?

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

But...then...wouldn't Hagestad get the penalty....becasue he's an AM, following this thought process through?

Nope, check out his family background...."popularity and stature". I presume he has played that course many, many times.

Nope, check out his family background...."popularity and stature". I presume he has played that course many, many times.

So he's tall and the kid was short, or are you saying it's an Asian thing?

I know Langer pays the Champions Tour $250k to anchor per season.

I believe (perhaps wishful thinking) that Langer would not be given that gentlemen's free pass to cheat his way to Schwab Cup after Schwab Cup on the regular tour. Tim Clark, Adam Scott, Webb Simpson, Keegan Bradley....none of them would have a tour card without anchoring. Scott is sooo good with the rest of his clubs that he may be the exception.

We have a guy at our club who thinks he is Langer, and nobody has had the temerity to call him on it.....well I'll let you know how it goes in about 60 days during the Sr. Club Championship cause I am gonna be THAT guy. Won't be popular, but hell rules are rules.

If I see a guy contorting his face and arms on National TV, I am gonna say he did it, no matter how many times he says he didn't and no matter how popular he may be.

EDIT- to be clear, I think people calling or emailing in to professional tournaments are tools of the highest order, and I cannot fathom why these agencies answer these calls literally OR figuratively.

Clarke is out with an injury. Bradley and Simpson are doing just fine not anchoring and Scott is practically thriving without it. As is Langer. But then you probably already knew that.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I think the rule was implemented poorly. As a result, things like this were made possible.

The USGA should have limited the length of the putter to the same length as the driver - 48". Then we're not having this discussion.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Hard to tell but it does look like he is pressing his left hand against his left pectoral and that the two are moving in unison as he putts. If that is true I believe that is clearly anchoring. Not sure I care though..lol.

I completely don't understand the Mickelson comparison as using a rule (or it's temporary exclusions as in his case) to your benefit is not the same as a rule infraction at all.

I think the rule was implemented poorly. As a result, things like this were made possible.

The USGA should have limited the length of the putter to the same length as the driver - 48". Then we're not having this discussion.

No club in the bag can exceed 48" in length, including the putter.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat