2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Some Things Wisconsin Golf

Phreddy

Are the junior caddies still available? I had a junior on MD, and he was awesome. It was great to have someone lug the clubs, and he had excellent course knowledge and was a decent green reader. Saved me a few bucks, and gave a local high school student a summer job. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

7 hours ago, lowlight21 said:

Excellent.  We also used our own push carts, and packing/unpacking them for the back of the car between SV and MD rounds was a bit annoying.  I believe with the shuttles you can just load your assembled push cart up into the shuttle - was that your experience?

6 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

We were there a couple of years back and they just put our push carts in the back of the shuttle.

Correct, they'll just open up the back door and load your entire assembly into the shuttle

• Like 2

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Are the junior caddies still available? I had a junior on MD, and he was awesome. It was great to have someone lug the clubs, and he had excellent course knowledge and was a decent green reader. Saved me a few bucks, and gave a local high school student a summer job. 

They are.  A member of my church has a granddaughter who is a set to be junior caddie there this summer.

• Like 1

DRIVER........Ping G430 Max 10K 9*
FAIRWAY........Ping G430 Max 5W
HYBRID........Ping G410 3H 
IRONS........Ping i210 4-U
WEDGES........Ping Glide 3.0 54* SS, 58* Eye2
PUTTER........Odyssey White Hot Versa Twelve-S
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/955611-hawk3y3s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

On 6/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, Argonne69 said:

On 6/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, _Hawk3y3_ said:

They are.  A member of my church has a granddaughter who is a set to be junior caddie there this summer.

This might be something you have to ask for (Junior caddies) as I don't see it offered online and our group was not informed of the option when inquiring about caddies when we were there in mid May. Maybe it is an option when school is out.

This May provided generally excellent golf weather, unfortunately the two days our group was there in the second half of the month were probably the two worst, weather wise. The golf and staff hospitality experience remain top-notch, but the food service experience has declined in each of my last three visits in the past four years. In 2017 we had outstanding dinners on the patio overlooking the almost finished Mammoth Dunes course. Every appetizer and entrée in our group was surprisingly delicious, the staff was prompt and friendly and the Head Chef even came to our table to chat. Our second trip to the Mammoth Bar, in 2019, had our appetizers find their way to the table after our entrees, which were low-lighted by an unspectacular serving of the Walleye which had wowed us two years earlier. At our most recent meal in the Mammoth Bar, we waited (while dealing with a drink snafu) 40 minutes for our dinners which mostly consisted of chewy, way over-salted skirt steak. Even Craig's Porch was a bit of a letdown with only one employee behind the counter to service a full tee sheet of guests. I would describe it as "slapdashed". The tacos were barely warm and I do miss the sliders.

My conclusion was that they weren't able to hold on to the staff they brought in to open the lodge in 2017. I understand how difficult it must be to attract and hold the level talent which compliments the rest of the resort, particularly in regard to the kitchen staff. I'm sure the availability of help will increase during the summer months and I still give high marks to the front-of-the-house staff who fairly compensated us for our disappointing dinner. We still had a great time but the down-shot is that our group has become disincentivized to stay on the property, aside from golf.

Edited by PuttCurseRepeat
  • Sad 1

On 6/2/2021 at 10:03 PM, _Hawk3y3_ said:

I guess it makes sense that it's a summer-only offering. I was there on Labor Day weekend.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I played all 3 SV courses, Lawsonia Links, The Bull, Erin Hills and all 4 Kohler courses for my golf trip last week and every single course was in phenomenal condition. 

We were moved up a few tee times for Mammoth and our slated caddy was not available so I was given a rickshaw gratis and my other comrades got a high school junior caddy. She was awesome. She even came back the next day for SV and she was awesome. I traveled with a PGA who was a former caddie master at Whistling Straits and Dallas National and he had nothing but high praises for her. He said she was the best caddie we had all trip. So the junior caddies at SV seem legit! 

• Like 1

What would be the cost including tip for a junior caddie?  I dont want to low ball any kid and am more looking for a bag carrier.  Thoughts on this?

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*

Ping G425 5 Hybrid 26*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

8 hours ago, J_Birdie said:

I played all 3 SV courses, Lawsonia Links, The Bull, Erin Hills and all 4 Kohler courses for my golf trip last week and every single course was in phenomenal condition. 

We were moved up a few tee times for Mammoth and our slated caddy was not available so I was given a rickshaw gratis and my other comrades got a high school junior caddy. She was awesome. She even came back the next day for SV and she was awesome. I traveled with a PGA who was a former caddie master at Whistling Straits and Dallas National and he had nothing but high praises for her. He said she was the best caddie we had all trip. So the junior caddies at SV seem legit! 

What’s her name? My wife and I will be there first week of July, so maybe we can request her as one of our caddies.

Has anyone played Lakewood in Lake Geneva? Was invited and want to get some feedback. Satellite view on the layout shows some crazy design features. If you played it, would you say thumbs up or down?

M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

Just got back from my buddies trip to SV. It was the best time and had great caddies. While there I was lucky enough to meet fromer Super Bowl champ SIdney RIce and Mammoth course designer David McLay-Kidd. I can give recommendations on the caddies we had during our trip if anyone is looking for when they go this summer. I already cant wait to go back for another trip. 

• Like 1

Played Lawsonia Woodlands for the first time after renovations on Thursday a.m.  first off with my regular 4some at my home course.  It definitely is an improvement.  I found it to be more playable off the tee and more friendly into the green.  You can tell where they filled in the old bunkers and reworked the others.  Some of the areas near the fairway bunkers that have been re-worked need some grow in.  There are some areas that are roped off and essentially dirt with weeds growing. Hit those areas twice, which was no big deal and considered it GUR and moved ball equal distance in the fairway.  Those shots would have been in bunkers pre renovation. Not sure if those areas will be rough or fairway once they sod/seed (assuming they just haven't gotten to those areas yet).  The re-worked bunkers are really nice, smaller, shaped nicely with good sand.  The areas by the green where they re-worked bunkers are filled in with fairway sod (there are 2-3 areas at the beginning of the fairway where they got the sod from and are dirt ~ 20-30 yards worth) came in really well.  It's still the woodlands but a more playable version and IMO will look great once those areas that need grass are sodded/grown in.  I did not play the course any differently (club selection off tee), but did not need to hit a perfect shot off the tee just to have a chance to be in the fairway.  And I birdied #14😎.  Bunted driver off the tee, it leaked ever so slightly right, kicked off the mound of the tree and stayed in the rough by an inch.  I thought it was going be down the fairway more but the rough caught it.  176 to a back left pin.  Hit a nice high baby draw with a 7i to about 4 feet and made the putt!  Shot of the day!  Not sure what they are doing with the other green off of 18...but if they are making a par 3 19th hole with where the green appears to be it's not gonna be very safe as it's just past the fairway/rough 70-80 yards out on the approach to #18.  I must have not understood what the plan was......I thought they made a new green for #18 and were using the old one for the #19 par 3?  Had a good time.  My playing partners all like the Woodlands vs. The Links.  Links is my favorite course and driving in and seeing #2 and #3 and the baked out conditions just killed me to not play the links that day.  Love playing it anytime, but especially when it's playing extra firm and fast!

Been a great 3 days of golf:

Wednesday-

Wild Rock followed by Northern Bay

Thursday-

Lawsonia Woodlands followed by Glacier Woods in Iola.

Friday.  Intended on getting up for Spring Valley CC in the a.m. but my body would not allow for it.....needed some extra shut eye.  Riverside in Janesville in the afternoon and Glen Erin this morning!

The greens at WR were verticut and the fastest I've ever played.  We were first off and they were pure!

With the weather around the state there are some fast tracks.  I know it's not ideal for the grass and maintenance, but I love these conditions!

Edited by ode

11 hours ago, ode said:

Played Lawsonia Woodlands for the first time after renovations on Thursday a.m.  first off with my regular 4some at my home course.  It definitely is an improvement.  I found it to be more playable off the tee and more friendly into the green.  You can tell where they filled in the old bunkers and reworked the others.  Some of the areas near the fairway bunkers that have been re-worked need some grow in.  There are some areas that are roped off and essentially dirt with weeds growing. Hit those areas twice, which was no big deal and considered it GUR and moved ball equal distance in the fairway.  Those shots would have been in bunkers pre renovation. Not sure if those areas will be rough or fairway once they sod/seed (assuming they just haven't gotten to those areas yet).  The re-worked bunkers are really nice, smaller, shaped nicely with good sand.  The areas by the green where they re-worked bunkers are filled in with fairway sod (there are 2-3 areas at the beginning of the fairway where they got the sod from and are dirt ~ 20-30 yards worth) came in really well.  It's still the woodlands but a more playable version and IMO will look great once those areas that need grass are sodded/grown in.  I did not play the course any differently (club selection off tee), but did not need to hit a perfect shot off the tee just to have a chance to be in the fairway.  And I birdied #14😎.  Bunted driver off the tee, it leaked ever so slightly right, kicked off the mound of the tree and stayed in the rough by an inch.  I thought it was going be down the fairway more but the rough caught it.  176 to a back left pin.  Hit a nice high baby draw with a 7i to about 4 feet and made the putt!  Shot of the day!  Not sure what they are doing with the other green off of 18...but if they are making a par 3 19th hole with where the green appears to be it's not gonna be very safe as it's just past the fairway/rough 70-80 yards out on the approach to #18.  I must have not understood what the plan was......I thought they made a new green for #18 and were using the old one for the #19 par 3?  Had a good time.  My playing partners all like the Woodlands vs. The Links.  Links is my favorite course and driving in and seeing #2 and #3 and the baked out conditions just killed me to not play the links that day.  Love playing it anytime, but especially when it's playing extra firm and fast!

Been a great 3 days of golf:

Wednesday-

Wild Rock followed by Northern Bay

Thursday-

Lawsonia Woodlands followed by Glacier Woods in Iola.

Friday.  Intended on getting up for Spring Valley CC in the a.m. but my body would not allow for it.....needed some extra shut eye.  Riverside in Janesville in the afternoon and Glen Erin this morning!

The greens at WR were verticut and the fastest I've ever played.  We were first off and they were pure!

With the weather around the state there are some fast tracks.  I know it's not ideal for the grass and maintenance, but I love these conditions!

Regarding 18 on the woodlands it will be a “19th hole” to the old green. The links is absolutely in stellar shape. 

• Like 1

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

or you could try to play at Club at Lac La Belle

• Like 1

TM SIM 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 5S
TEE  XCG7B  3h  19* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S  
TEE  XCG7B  4h  22* Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8S
TEE  XCG7B  5h  25* Diamana Thump i465ct 4iron shaft
Wishon 560MC 5-PW (26,30,34,38,42.5,47) Recoil Proto 125 F4
Vokey SM7 50-08F S200 bent to 51*
Wishon HM wedges 56/60 Wishon Smooth steel Stiff
2013-2016 SC Futura X5R 33' flownecked by Bastain-cerakote sniper gray-silver dots-white flange sight line-SS Flatso 2.0

TM TP5x

On 6/18/2021 at 1:47 PM, loudizzzle said:

Just got back from my buddies trip to SV. It was the best time and had great caddies. While there I was lucky enough to meet fromer Super Bowl champ SIdney RIce and Mammoth course designer David McLay-Kidd. I can give recommendations on the caddies we had during our trip if anyone is looking for when they go this summer. I already cant wait to go back for another trip. 

Must’ve been out there the same time as you guys because SR & DMK were in the groups around us both days. If you were in the group with the man down in 16 bunker at SV, then we were hanging both days out there. Great place and amazing weather last week!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DCbogey said:

Must’ve been out there the same time as you guys because SR & DMK were in the groups around us both days. If you were in the group with the man down in 16 bunker at SV, then we were hanging both days out there. Great place and amazing weather last week!

Haha yea thats us. I was in the group with the guy who went down in the 16th bunker. Small world. 

Has anyone played The Baths at BWR/ Kohler yet? Have a tee time for Friday afternoon and I'm wondering what to expect

WITB

Ping G430 10K 10.5º w/ Diamana 

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Driving Iron: Srixon U85 w/ Recoil

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

1 hour ago, jwhite86 said:

Has anyone played The Baths at BWR/ Kohler yet? Have a tee time for Friday afternoon and I'm wondering what to expect

There is an article in today's online Golfweek that includes an aerial video tour.  Looks fun!

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

13 hours ago, jwhite86 said:

Played it in mid-June and had a great time. We were out there on a package deal, so it was a “free” round. Look and feel is like a mini-version of the Irish Course at Whistling Straits and the walking paths are similar to WS as well. The template holes were enjoyable - the water features and stonework honestly seemed unnecessary but it’s a fun round for sure. Load up on F&B at the starter shack because the routing doesn’t bring you back until after the 10th and final hole. Didn’t get to do the putting course, but certainly seems worth checking out while you’re there.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2021 at 8:25 PM, collje26 said:

The links is absolutely in stellar shape. 

Played yesterday late afternoon.  I have never seen it look so good.  The greens were soft and slow compared to what I'm used to.  Must have been quite a bit of rain through the area in the last week+(likely watering the greens often prior to that as it was so dry).

1 hour ago, ode said:

Played yesterday late afternoon.  I have never seen it look so good.  The greens were soft and slow compared to what I'm used to.  Must have been quite a bit of rain through the area in the last week+(likely watering the greens often prior to that as it was so dry).

Yeah we've been hammered by rain. I was out there for awhile yesterday on the putting green and they were slow. It seems like they aerated or punched the surroundings of the greens as well? Not sure what the reasoning was for that.

QI10 9 ventus TR blue 6x

QI10 tour 3 15 ventus TR blue 7x

Stealth plus 19 kaili blue 80tx

P770/MC tour issue x100

MG3 50 tour issue s400

MG3 56TW tour issue s400

MG3 60TW tour issue s400

Taylormade MYTP Soto

Prov1x

Vessel VLS lux

14 minutes ago, collje26 said:

Yeah we've been hammered by rain. I was out there for awhile yesterday on the putting green and they were slow. It seems like they aerated or punched the surroundings of the greens as well? Not sure what the reasoning was for that.

It was a unique experience at the links as with a mid iron or less, could go right at pins.  And I could not get myself to hit it (putting) as I was at the "links".  Had a super day tee to green.  Snuck one in the low side on #8...back right pin.  Hit one pin high.  5 footer with about 5-6" of break R to L. There were some tough pin locations yesterday!

Playing SV/MD, Lawsonia Links/Woodlands in a few weeks. Thinking about adding an additional night for some local fishing and play Northern Bay. Super excited.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X