2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My new Don White irons made through the Boyd Blade and Ferrule Co **New pics 12/26**

FairwayFred

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice. Sole stamps refer to hickory clubs? (MI: mid iron, SM: spade mashie, MN: mashie niblick,NI: niblick)

Exactly. Well done.

:-) Have been thinking about what I'd want from a custom set and was thinking about using hickory club indications instead of numbers as well (as i would probably not be following the "normal" 2-sw route, but more freeform (i think i can replace my current 7i, 8i, 9i, 10i and sw by 3 or maybe even just 2 clubs (if i can get a multipurpose grind on my niblick; only use my sw (56*) from the sand, so if i could get a grind that enables me to hit my 51* niblick from the sand, i would not need a sand wedge at all). Going to test my M85 10 iron with double service grind to find that out..

Ari,

Would love to hear your thoughts on what irons you have played and loved

I've always been a blade guy for the most part. I grew up mostly playing Titleist Tour Model custom blades.

I then had the unbelievable priveledge of going to Albany GA and working directly with Don White on a set of custom MacGregors and played a set of hand made custom PMBs for a while. Also had a combo set of CBS and 67 Muscles but the PMBs were the ones I gamed.

Then I got a set of Tour Stage MR23 US Spec CBs from Joe Kwok and they had a big impact on me from a shape and grind perspective. I still believe this is the best set of players CBs ever made. Other than having a touch of offset these are near perfect looking. Don had a set of MR23s in front of him when he ground the shape of these new irons.

I played the MR23s until we started making full sets of Scratch irons. I played a custom set of Scratch blades with no offset, shaped like the MR23s for most of 2004 until 2015. Made my first hole in one in 2004 during my first round with the first ever set of Scratch irons with the first shot I ever hit with the 5 iron.

Since Scratch I've embraced my inner HO, I've had Cobra Bio Cell Pro Combos, Cobra Fly Z Pro MBs, Srixon 745s, Titleist TMBs, PXG 0311Ts, then I got a set of Mizuno MP5s that I absolutely loved and then a custom Yoro Dept set of MP5s that were even better. I have played those MP5s most of the year. Last month or so I've also been messing around with a set of Crazy SBi 02.

I think the MP5 has one of the best and most playable muscle designs ever made. These irons are a combination of that muscle with a head shape that fits my eye perfectly. It's basically a raw handmade MP5 with a zero offset MR23 shape at address. I also love the fact that these are made entirely by hand including the muscle there is just so much craftsmanship that goes into these its staggering.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

These irons gave me a funny feeling that I can't quite describe.

Yeah, in my pants

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

**ON COURSE UPDATE**

Just got back from these clubs debut golf trip. Played 199 holes in a little under 3 days of golf so they got a good workout.

I can't say enough good things about these clubs. I love the lengths, the yardage gaps are perfect. I have never hit more perfect solid long irons than I did on this trip. I lipped out twice for a hole in one and bounced one off the flagstick.

Performance is fantastic. The muscle weighting makes the clubs noticeably more forgiving than a standard blade. They have a nice low COG and give me a great ball flight. The grind is perfect. Thin shots (my more common mishit) still produces a shot that gets up in the air and carries close to normal distance. Ball flight is very straight and I was able to move them both right and left when wanted and knock them down into the wind without any issue.

Craftsmanship wise these clubs are just stunningly perfect. Don did an amazing job with the shapes (using the MR23 as a guide to the toe shape) and more importantly the hosel to leading edge transition is perfect and dead straight. The fact that he ground the muscles by hand makes it even more impressive. This is set is truly a functional work of art.

All in all BB&F Co has a very happy customer in me.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Ari, we need to pair up and create some new blades for the market. Let's Make Scratch Great Again!

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Ari,

Would love to hear your thoughts on what irons you have played and loved

I've always been a blade guy for the most part. I grew up mostly playing Titleist Tour Model custom blades.

I then had the unbelievable priveledge of going to Albany GA and working directly with Don White on a set of custom MacGregors and played a set of hand made custom PMBs for a while. Also had a combo set of CBS and 67 Muscles but the PMBs were the ones I gamed.

Then I got a set of Tour Stage MR23 US Spec CBs from Joe Kwok and they had a big impact on me from a shape and grind perspective. I still believe this is the best set of players CBs ever made. Other than having a touch of offset these are near perfect looking. Don had a set of MR23s in front of him when he ground the shape of these new irons.

I played the MR23s until we started making full sets of Scratch irons. I played a custom set of Scratch blades with no offset, shaped like the MR23s for most of 2004 until 2015. Made my first hole in one in 2004 during my first round with the first ever set of Scratch irons with the first shot I ever hit with the 5 iron.

Since Scratch I've embraced my inner HO, I've had Cobra Bio Cell Pro Combos, Cobra Fly Z Pro MBs, Srixon 745s, Titleist TMBs, PXG 0311Ts, then I got a set of Mizuno MP5s that I absolutely loved and then a custom Yoro Dept set of MP5s that were even better. I have played those MP5s most of the year. Last month or so I've also been messing around with a set of Crazy SBi 02.

I think the MP5 has one of the best and most playable muscle designs ever made. These irons are a combination of that muscle with a head shape that fits my eye perfectly. It's basically a raw handmade MP5 with a zero offset MR23 shape at address. I also love the fact that these are made entirely by hand including the muscle there is just so much craftsmanship that goes into these its staggering.

Fully agree on the TS MR23. That is the perfect players CB. I still have a set in the spare bag.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

Where was this "best course in the world"? 199 holes in 3 days, how is that possible?

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

Where was this "best course in the world"? 199 holes in 3 days, how is that possible?

Sand Hills Golf Club in Nebraska. I've been all over and imo its the best golf course and best golf experience in the world. It has the best golf course, the best steak and the best people in the world working there. I feel very priveledged to get to visit whenever I have gone there.

We arrived at 3pm on day 1 and played 36 holes before dark.

Day 2 I played 72 holes.

Day 3 I played 73 holes.

Day 4 I walked 18 holes in about an hour and fifty five minutes before our departure at 10 am.

So I played 199 holes in less than 3 full golf days. Had I been there 3 full days I would have had 5-6 more hours of golf time and would have certainly gotten more holes in.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Sand Hills Golf Club in Nebraska. I've been all over and imo its the best golf course and best golf experience in the world. It has the best golf course, the best steak and the best people in the world working there. I feel very priveledged to get to visit whenever I have gone there.

Day 2 I played 72 holes.

Day 3 I played 73 holes.

Day 4 I walked 18 holes in about an hour and fifty five minutes before our departure at 10 am.

So I played 199 holes in less than 3 full golf days. Had I been there 3 full days I would have had 5-6 more hours of golf time and would have certainly gotten more holes in.

That is crazy.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Day 2 I played 72 holes.

Day 3 I played 73 holes.

That is crazy.

I walked 72 of the 199 holes also.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

Day 2 I played 72 holes.

Day 3 I played 73 holes.

That is crazy.

Ari - WRX's most interesting man

-played 199 holes in 3 days, walked 72

-two lipped out hole in ones

-one bounced off pin, not confirmed if said pin is still in tact

-his WRX signature has 15 drivers - no other clubs

-since Scratch has at least 7 documents sets, probably more before unbelievably epic BB&F Don Whites

-he visited the virgin islands, after he left they are just islands.

:tongue: :drinks:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Regret to say that they would probably have to bury me with my clubs if I attempted your feat Ari.

Sounds like a good time all around .

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Day 2 I played 72 holes.

Day 3 I played 73 holes.

That is crazy.

Ari - WRX's most interesting man

-played 199 holes in 3 days, walked 72

-two lipped out hole in ones

-one bounced off pin, not confirmed if said pin is still in tact

-his WRX signature has 15 drivers - no other clubs

-since Scratch has at least 7 documents sets, probably more before unbelievably epic BB&F Don Whites

-he visited the virgin islands, after he left they are just islands.

:tongue: :drinks:

Haha :)

I don't always play golf, but when I do I prefer hand made blades........

199 in 3 days is solid work but not completely out of the ordinary when on a golf trip.

My 2 biggest days I'd say were walking 145 holes in one day a few years ago and playing 90 holes in the snow (with Mr. Boyd) after driving 15 hours with the forecast calling for 60* when we left.

Ari Techner
[email protected]
(still a huge club HO)

I can only imagine the look on a caddie's face when you hand him that bag. WTF is a 'MM' iron!

Amazing set of sticks. I really need to get down to Sweeten's Cove. I have family in Chattanooga and dated a girl from S Pittsburg in college. Beautiful part of the country.

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

The build on these is going to be very unique. I patterned this set after the set that Bobby Jones used to win the grand slam in 1930. The lengths are done in same length pairs with 5/8" between each 2 club pair and 1/4 inch between the 6/5 iron length and the 4 iron.

52/58 - 36

P/9 - 36 5/8

8/7 - 37 1/4

6/5 - 37 7/8

4i - 38 1/8

I've always been intrigued with this idea after reading about Bobby's Slam winning set made by Tom Stewart. Nice to be able to make it a reality. Big thanks to BB&F Co.

Ari, now that you have played a couple of holes with these clubs, how do you feel about the paired shafts? Intrigued to hear your thoughts on that.

It is great seeing that a lot of the people that have their clubs custom made by DW go further than just a custom head (based on an old MacGregor design), but apart from that follow the 'normal' setup of what is generally considdered a 'set'. I saw Patrick had a couple of sets made with 5* degree loft increments, saw a set with 6* loft increments for sugar loaf social club. You with your "unusual" shafts. Lovely!

Ari,

My back hurts just thinking of playing 72 holes in a day never mind doing it back to back days! Just curious if you played better in the latter rounds, what were your scores?

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]