2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Elk...Come on man!!

McCann1

Racist: From twitter: “Things about Southport… fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, [expletive] food.” “Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis, bad night for them.”

Not to defend Ellington, because he generally seems like a d!ck from what is reported about him (I've never met him so don't really know if that's fair or not).

I'd be inclined not to read any racism into the Pakis comment though. I'm Australian, and grew up watching Australia and Pakistan play cricket against each other every couple of years. It was always abbreviated to Aussies vs Pakis, and Paki was commonly used in Australia to refer to someone from Pakistan. There was certainly no offense meant by using that word. I don't really understand why their would be when it's basically the same abbreviation as Aussie for an Australian, and no one ever seems to think that's offensive.

I don't know how, but I made it through almost 5 years living in England without realizing any one was offended by the word Paki. Maybe it just never came up.

After living in the US for maybe 7 years, I was at a party with a few Australian friends, probably talking about cricket, and someone used the word Paki. From people's reactions, you would have thought one of us had just killed bambi None of us had any inkling at all that the word could possibly be considered offensive.

I still don't really understand why Paki is offensive, but Aussie or Kiwi is OK. It doesn't really matter whether I understand it though. Pakistanis may be offended by the word, so I no longer use it.

Maybe there is (or at least was) less sensitivity to this stuff in Australia. Nick names and colloquialisms were generally used with people you like and mostly with either a neutral connotation or as a term of endearment. My American wife still can't get her head around the fact that the rhyming slang used for Americans isn't intended to be derogatory.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough world to try to be funny in right now. Can you imagine a comic like Don Rickles trying to make it today? The guy didn't have a racist, homophobic, hateful bond in his body, but his jokes make Elk's comments look like polite compliments.

I don't condone hurtful comments to anyone, just FYI. I'm just saying people need to calm down a bit, maybe thicken their skin. I personally think Rory needs to grow up and not respond to tweets/comments like this. Tiger in his heyday didn't say anything when he was criticized by fellow players. He just waited until they went head to head and then eviscerated them on the course. He let his clubs do the talking.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Elk is the funniest golf commentator. Love his takes on Jim Rome. No big deal. People chill.

He's a homophobe, racist, and sexist, and just called out a golfer half his age with 4 times the career success. But, no, you're right. There's nothing to see here, move along...

PC culture was created to bring down western nations. And as you can see it's working. Europe and USA both circling the drain. Elk is uncouth but that doesn't mean he's telling a lie. He's a straight shooter. Most people under 35 are brainwashed by their mental masters.

so you mean the only way Western nations can be great/greater is to be racist, sexist, fascist and other isms? forget Elkington for a minute. what is this PC Culture that you define? So far it's all about respecting others...respecting other cultures, not being racist, sexist, fascist..i think that would make western nations even greater. What will bring it down is HATE!!!

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

Elk is the funniest golf commentator. Love his takes on Jim Rome. No big deal. People chill.

He's a homophobe, racist, and sexist, and just called out a golfer half his age with 4 times the career success. But, no, you're right. There's nothing to see here, move along...

PC culture was created to bring down western nations. And as you can see it's working. Europe and USA both circling the drain. Elk is uncouth but that doesn't mean he's telling a lie. He's a straight shooter. Most people under 35 are brainwashed by their mental masters.

so you mean the only way Western nations can be great/greater is to be racist, sexist, fascist and other isms? forget Elkington for a minute. what is this PC Culture that you define? So far it's all about respecting others...respecting other cultures, not being racist, sexist, fascist..i think that would make western nations even greater. What will bring it down is HATE!!!

Nah... The pendulum has swung too far. The new pastime is to be offended on social media. There also is a major double standard.

It's pretty amusing that the supposed defenders of those being attacked make it worse. Imagine sitting at a table with a group of people and having someone say something mean towards you. You defend yourself and are ready to move on, yet everyone at the table insists on taking it upon themselves to attack the person that said it for the next several hours while constantly repeating the offensive remark and highlighting whatever perceived abnormaility you have that lead to the remark over, and over, and over..... all in an effort to "save you".

One thing I don't understand is if

1. You have a history of saying the wrong things or to give him the benefit of the doubt, being misinterpreted

2. It's known most guys in your profession do not like you and

3. You start to broadcast your thoughts on a massive platform when drunk

Then you would take it upon yourself to not have a twitter account or not make it available while drinking.

I totally agree there's a lot of overreaction to what he's saying but at some point before he posts he has to think "do I really want to deal with the crap I'm going to get for this?"

Steve Marinos comment was the best. Also, Paki is offensive to Pakistan people so it's not your place to tell them it's not. Usually it's used not specifically to Pakistan people but people of color from India, Pakistan, Middle East with a negative connotation. You can't tell a black person not to be offended by the N word. It's used in the same manner in he UK and Australia etc. not a term here in the states so hard to know the context.

2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
Ping Anser OG
Snell MTB Black

Homophobe: in February 2014, Elkington tweeted that openly gay football player Michael Sam was "leading the handbag throw" at the NFL Combine.

Racist: From twitter: “Things about Southport… fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, [expletive] food.” “Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis, bad night for them.”

Offensive to women: http://deadspin.com/...-has-1523742276

All his words. Any more brain busters?

Lighten up Francis. He's crude and crass and I wouldn't say any of those things, but to distill a man's entire existence down to a few 140 character tweets or off-color jokes seems pretty severe. Are you one of those who argues that we can't judge Tiger simply by what he did to Elin or his zombie mugshot? I hope not because that would make you a hypocrite.

I've been thinking the same thing about Rory for the last year or so. Why do people always confuse honesty with grumpy old and bitter?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Steve Marinos comment was the best. Also, Paki is offensive to Pakistan people so it's not your place to tell them it's not. Usually it's used not specifically to Pakistan people but people of color from India, Pakistan, Middle East with a negative connotation. You can't tell a black person not to be offended by the N word. It's used in the same manner in he UK and Australia etc. not a term here in the states so hard to know the context.

well said. "Paki" is indeed equal to the N word in England at least. It's not just an abbreviation of where Pakistanis are from..obviously we all wish it was that simple don't we. It's just the simple ignorance around that's why PC exists. Without it Italians will still be wogs and Irish would still be the worse people on the planet. I can assure you these are sentiments i learned growing up in the UK.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

well said. "Paki" is indeed equal to the N word in England at least. It's not just an abbreviation of where Pakistanis are from..obviously we all wish it was that simple don't we. It's just the simple ignorance around that's why PC exists. Without it Italians will still be wogs and Irish would still be the worse people on the planet. I can assure you these are sentiments i learned growing up in the UK.

And yet in geographical terms Afghanistan is next door to Pakistan and the term Afghanis is perfectly acceptable….go figure!

Whatever works.

And yet in geographical terms Afghanistan is next door to Pakistan and the term Afghanis is perfectly acceptable….go figure!

this is way off topic but I think it should be noted it's not the word that's the issue. It's the history and context that a word is used in that determines if it's right or wrong to use

It's a tough world to try to be funny in right now. Can you imagine a comic like Don Rickles trying to make it today? The guy didn't have a racist, homophobic, hateful bond in his body, but his jokes make Elk's comments look like polite compliments.

I don't condone hurtful comments to anyone, just FYI. I'm just saying people need to calm down a bit, maybe thicken their skin. I personally think Rory needs to grow up and not respond to tweets/comments like this. Tiger in his heyday didn't say anything when he was criticized by fellow players. He just waited until they went head to head and then eviscerated them on the course. He let his clubs do the talking.

Excellent Posts!!

You could Richard Pryor into that hat also

Have a great weekend Bro?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Agreed, Rory's response was more Poulterish than anything, which is not a good thing.

It bothered rory enough to reply defensively. He actually pasted his Wiki page. And then he replied to Elks follow up to make fun of Elks grammar?

Sounds like golfwrx ; )

Maybe this gets him angry and fuels motivation. Love seeing him at his best.

You have to wonder what happened this week. His "pack it up" comments seem to indicate he was confident about his game. I hope his back is fine and he can practice. Rory may be the most talented guy out there

But like Trevino said,"At the end of the day, all that matters is how hard you work, how much dirt you move". Even if you are Jack...

"The first time I ever saw Jack was at Baltusrol at the U.S. Open in 1967. It was early in the week, late in the day and almost dark. I looked down from the clubhouse at the practice green and saw the outline of a man putting with a Bulls Eye putter, the head painted white. It was Jack. Watching him made an impression as to what makes a man great. At the end of the day, all that matters is how hard you work, how much dirt you move. That's how I measure people. I don't care how talented you are, if you don't move enough dirt, somebody is going to run over you. Jack moved a lot of dirt.

ONE OF THE GREAT myths in golf is that Jack didn't practice very much. When he bought a house at Lost Tree in Florida in the mid-'60s, nobody saw him. He'd go out back behind his house and hit balls across those fairways all day long. He also built a putting green on land between his guest house and the tennis courts. He adjusted the speed of that green for whatever tournaments were in front of him. He wore that putting green out."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.golfdigest.com/story/us-open-my-shot-lee-trevino/amp

Wow! I know this site exposes some stuff now and again, but this beggars belief. We've obviously gone well OT now, but how does anyone not taking the p1ss, think P___ is OK cause well, you know we used it growing up while watching the cricket and it's an abbreviation of Pakistan.

By that logic J__ is OK because it's an abbreviation of Japan, C_____ is OK because all we're doing is taking China and swapping the 'a' for a 'k', and while we're here N____ is totally fine, cause you know it's just a take on Nigeria.

Anyone who thinks it's fine to use these words really needs to give their head a shake and then go have a read of why it's not OK and keep reading/researching it until it sinks in.

It's not a case of being precious and PC, it's about common decency and respect for others.

To try and be a bit on topic, whether Elk is a whatever, what he tweeted about Southport was racist. He had no clue whether these criminals were of Pakistani origin, he absolutely used it as a derogatory term against some people of Middle Eastern or South Asian decent.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Wow! I know this site exposes some stuff now and again, but this beggars belief. We've obviously gone well OT now, but how does anyone not taking the p1ss, think P___ is OK cause well, you know we used it growing up while watching the cricket and it's an abbreviation of Pakistan.

By that logic J__ is OK because it's an abbreviation of Japan, C_____ is OK because all we're doing is taking China and swapping the 'a' for a 'k', and while we're here N____ is totally fine, cause you know it's just a take on Nigeria.

Anyone who thinks it's fine to use these words really needs to give their head a shake and then go have a read of why it's not OK and keep reading/researching it until it sinks in.

It's not a case of being precious and PC, it's about common decency and respect for others.

This is a classic example of the slippery slope fallacy.

Didn't love Rory's response at all. Seems very thin skinned. Everybody knows he's the better player. Additionally, everybody knows Elk says dumb stuff.

Best action is to say nothing at all IMO...

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I can see how you might want to use that term but it's an incorrect usage.

I'm not saying someone who calls someone a P___ and is OK with that, means they also use all those other terms. I was simply pointing out the ridiculousness of the assertion, with more ridiculous examples, with no larger point :)

Growing up in Canada as we both did (assuming you're from there as well as live there) did you ever hear anyone use Paki is a positive light? Both in Canada and the UK is was considered a derogatory term, but hey maybe in that part of the Commonwealth in the Southern hemisphere it wasn't?

Anyways too serious a topic for the weekend. Have a good one.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Perhaps the fact that the use of the word Paki is offensive in some countries and is (or at least was) innocuous in others (including the country that Elkington is from) has escaped you.

While you're explaining to us why abbreviating a nationality is offensive, perhaps you can explain why it's OK with some nationalities (Australians) and not with others (Pakistanis).

Further, I don't think anyone here has defended or said using Paki is OK in the US or the U.K. It's clearly not and people are offended by the term. I learned that it wasn't acceptable only within the last 6 or so years. I probably hadn't used it more than 5 times in the preceding 10 years, had generally used it with Australian friends of Pakistani origin, and had no clue that someone might find it offensive. It's ridiculous that you would brand someone a racist without common decency or respect for others when you have no clue about how a word is used and perceived outside of your little bubble.

White men telling minorities that they're simply too sensitive and the world is too PC is pretty self-serving. I think we should definitely use our time and energy to defend a guy who likes to get drunk and offend people. The world should grow thicker skin, so I don't have to change and be respectful, curb my drinking or stay away from the internet? If only the world would just respect my right to be offensive, right guys!

He was too lazy to Google Rory's net worth. Only off by 100 million dollars though. Dude has been hurt and unable to practice due to hitting too many golf balls, but he's obviously lost his drive. According to a guy with one major that hasn't been relevant for 10 or 15 years at least. I can totally see why so many of you rush to his defense.

White men telling minorities that they're simply too sensitive and the world is too PC is pretty self-serving. I think we should definitely use our time and energy to defend a guy who likes to get drunk and offend people. The world should grow thicker skin, so I don't have to change and be respectful, curb my drinking or stay away from the internet? If only the world would just respect my right to be offensive, right guys!

Excellent straw man!

Please quote the posts where where white men (how do you know who in this thread is white?) are telling minorities to be less sensitive. That's different from commenting on an increase in sensitivity in the general population over the years.

I agree with the general sentiment by the way. If you're doing or saying something that someone else finds offensive, stop it. You don't get to tell them what should or should not offend them.

Racist: From twitter: "Things about Southport… fat tattooed guy, fat tattooed girl, trash, Pakistani robber guy, [expletive] food." "Couple caddies got rolled by some Pakkis, bad night for them."

Not to defend Ellington, because he generally seems like a d!ck from what is reported about him (I've never met him so don't really know if that's fair or not).

I'd be inclined not to read any racism into the Pakis comment though. I'm Australian, and grew up watching Australia and Pakistan play cricket against each other every couple of years. It was always abbreviated to Aussies vs Pakis, and Paki was commonly used in Australia to refer to someone from Pakistan. There was certainly no offense meant by using that word. I don't really understand why their would be when it's basically the same abbreviation as Aussie for an Australian, and no one ever seems to think that's offensive.

I don't know how, but I made it through almost 5 years living in England without realizing any one was offended by the word Paki. Maybe it just never came up.

After living in the US for maybe 7 years, I was at a party with a few Australian friends, probably talking about cricket, and someone used the word Paki. From people's reactions, you would have thought one of us had just killed bambi None of us had any inkling at all that the word could possibly be considered offensive.

I still don't really understand why Paki is offensive, but Aussie or Kiwi is OK. It doesn't really matter whether I understand it though. Pakistanis may be offended by the word, so I no longer use it.

Maybe there is (or at least was) less sensitivity to this stuff in Australia. Nick names and colloquialisms were generally used with people you like and mostly with either a neutral connotation or as a term of endearment. My American wife still can't get her head around the fact that the rhyming slang used for Americans isn't intended to be derogatory.

It's apparently become a rule in PC America, if you abbreviate the nationality of any non-white person you are automatically deemed a racist.

They are words. Not bullets or bombs.

I can see how you might want to use that term but it's an incorrect usage.

I'm not saying someone who calls someone a P___ and is OK with that, means they also use all those other terms. I was simply pointing out the ridiculousness of the assertion, with more ridiculous examples, with no larger point :)

Growing up in Canada as we both did (assuming you're from there as well as live there) did you ever hear anyone use Paki is a positive light? Both in Canada and the UK is was considered a derogatory term, but hey maybe in that part of the Commonwealth in the Southern hemisphere it wasn't?

Anyways too serious a topic for the weekend. Have a good one.

I'm not ok with that term at all, and I'm sure Elk regrets saying it. I don't hear that term in Western Canada, and I'm truly grateful to live in a country that abhors racism and welcomes and embraces different cultures.

What I can't stand is that today, if you say something cringeworthy, you get eviscerated around the entire globe 24/7, without mercy. Seriously, Tiger Woods had his mug shot posted on every news outlet on the planet, people writing articles about his downfall, assuming he was some kind of druggie alcoholic. Instead, it turns out, he actually did have an unexpected reaction to medication and blew 0.00. The guy with "steely nerves" now takes Xanax and just had his spine fused, so obviously he's not doing great. Doesn't matter though. Everyone in the world was quick to jump down his throat. That man is literally a prisoner in his own house, because when he leaves his house, people don't respect an ounce of his privacy.

Back to Elk. He's pushing 60 and is from Australia. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of terms that guy used growing up that are now completely inappropriate. He let one slip, obviously innocently. Maybe instead of calling him racist, give him a chance to apologize. He didn't grow up like you and I. You know what's greater than throwing fire on someone? Supporting them with education.