2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA to begin blood testing in 2018.

lopey986

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those against PEDs -- are we trying to protect the game of golf or are we trying to protect adults from themselves? There have been some posts showing concerns regarding the health of people who use PEDs so I'm just wondering if we are looking out for the people or the game or both.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

The use of PED's screwed up baseball, ruined it for many fans and also screwed up the record books forever. Golf has always been known as probably the most honourable sport. They don't allow cheating of the rules, so they shouldn't allow cheating with drugs either. It's already on the ropes with so many courses closing, and overall business contraction, it would be very dangerous ground to allow PEDs IMO

Im pretty sure we will see some changes in some top players.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

The whole TW thing is beaten to death...gheesh. You can add muscle over ten years...steroids would have made him quite a bit larger than he ended up. Not saying he didn't since most of the guys think they won't get caught. A Rod did not blow up and who knows all that he was taking.

edit: sp

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

All any player has to do is get a MD to write him a prescription for any drug or steroid and he is good to go.

It happens all the time in other sports.

MMA for example..you have 30-40 year old fighters (dare i say not old men) getting TRT exemptions. So a 30-40 year old

MMA fighter (Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonen...etc) who is in ten times better condition than any PGA player

goes to his MD and gets a doctors note and a prescription and he is good to go. This all happened once UFC started drug testing

but these fighters have been using it since their 20-30's but once it became prohibited it just required a MD prescription and

bingo they are legal. Keep in mind we are talking about the steroid testosterone. Most of these guys were busted for anabolic steroids and HGH and after serving suspensions just went to TRT to keep there edge.

NFL drug tests but they are announced long in advance. Most sports its all about keeping the $$ coming in but

testing for appearances.

Same will happen for golf and any other sport that begins drug testing.

All any player has to do is get a MD to write him a prescription for any drug or steroid and he is good to go.

It happens all the time in other sports.

MMA for example..you have 30-40 year old fighters (dare i say not old men) getting TRT exemptions. So a 30-40 year old

MMA fighter (Dan Henderson, Vitor Belfort, Chael Sonen...etc) who is in ten times better condition than any PGA player

goes to his MD and gets a doctors note and a prescription and he is good to go. This all happened once UFC started drug testing

but these fighters have been using it since their 20-30's but once it became prohibited it just required a MD prescription and

bingo they are legal. Keep in mind we are talking about the steroid testosterone. Most of these guys were busted for anabolic steroids and HGH and after serving suspensions just went to TRT to keep there edge.

NFL drug tests but they are announced long in advance. Most sports its all about keeping the $$ coming in but

testing for appearances.

Same will happen for golf and any other sport that begins drug testing.

Well said - I agree is about making that dollar. PR and appearances baby. The NLF, MLB, PGA care about PR.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Some have opined that using PED's is good for the athlete, and therefore good for the sport, and the fan. However, what are the long term effects of using PED's on the athlete? That should be the major concern. This isn't the Roman Colosseum.

It's not the Colosseum - I agree with that completely but we are also talking about free men making decisions themselves. Maybe the current environment forces their hand (to a certain degree) but look at Duff. That guy ain't juicin.

Tiger immediately announces retirement.

LOL

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

This is golf.

Take all the PEDs you want.

It aint gonna make you do this.

[media=]

[/media]

No, but it can help with the recovery time after you have fist-pumped yourself into early arthritis.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

Just like PEDS didn't make Barry Bonds or others hit a curve ball from a MLB pitcher.

It's ironic that MLB holds their head in shame for the hitters that were juicing and totally ignores that the pitchers these guys were facing were also likely juicing.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

No, but it can help with the recovery time after you have fist-pumped yourself into early arthritis.

MG!

Where ya been?

TW put his body through its paces, thats for sure. Even here, on the follow through, looks like hes in pain.

I am excited to see who tests positive, and what substance(s) they took. This is mostly because this topic intrigues me; I find it fsxinating to learn what the chemicals do, what they did for the golfer, and so forth.

Some PEDs are pretty dangerous. Anobolic steroids can cause thickening of the heart muscle, and when the steroids are stopped and the heart begins to return to normal thickness, the lost mass happens from the wrong side, and the left ventricle becomes dilated (very bad).

Other risks of various PEDs:

Prostate cancer

Thromboembolism

Sepsis

Kindey Failure

Hypertension (which over many many years causes problems described above with heart enlargement)

Coronary Vasospasms

Hemorrhagic strokes

Hep C and HIV if players share injection needles

Gynecomastua in men ("bish t****")

Testicular atrophy/infertility/sterility

Lymphoma

Diabetes

Internal organs growing so large they impinge on the diaphragm

Hypersexualiy

Psychotic behavior

Hallucinations

Uncontrollable violent rages

Heart arrhythmias/conduction disturbances

Exertional hyponatremia (don't want to get this in the summer heat)

Vascular insufficiency

Heart attacks

Aneurysms

Dehydration

Holy Tiger-Video Wowza. No human on Tour swings that aggressively anymore.

Not Koepka, not DJ, not anyone.

If that was Tiger's "Titleist PT" 3-wood with his golf ball with liquid inside a rubber sphere, covered in rubber bands, that shot is more impressive than US Open 3-wood shots talked about.

About US Open and carry distances Fox claimed on Thursday and Friday, something ain't adding up for me. Cant say it's drugs, but something isn't right. A certain golfer carrying his drive 357 yards; something's not right (possibly including the shot tracer).

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

What if I could give you a drug that let you bang golf balls for 8 hours a day with zero muscle soreness. What if I could give you a drug that makes your mental focus off the chart? Would these two things together eventually lead to what you posted? (yes)

With that said the only reason they are testing now is the Olympics. This is why WADA is involved..... Also, only the really dumb golfers using PEDs will get popped. Masking PED use is trivial.

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

MG!

Where ya been?

TW put his body through its paces, thats for sure. Even here, on the follow through, looks like hes in pain.

[media=]

[/media]

Eh, laid up, screwed up...you name it - that's me right now. Kind of sympathize with TW, tbh.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

What if I could give you a drug that let you bang golf balls for 8 hours a day with zero muscle soreness. What if I could give you a drug that makes your mental focus off the chart? Would these two things together eventually lead to what you posted? (yes)

With that said the only reason they are testing now is the Olympics. This is why WADA is involved..... Also, only the really dumb golfers using PEDs will get popped. Masking PED use is trivial.

I thought that masking was either easy or unnecessary for water-soluble drugs like amphetamine, but not easy for lipid-soluble drugs (anabolic steroids, THC, etc).

I also thought LC-MS/GC-MS were run to identify any chemical present (which would make masking agents useless).

Plus, I thought masking agents themselves were tested for and on the banned list?

I'll address my thoughts on this in two parts.

Firstly on the subject of getting "tougher" on PEDs and recovery meds in the sport I fully support this direction. There's no place in any sport for PEDs and the side effects/long term issues associated with them have proven to be detrimental. I don't think golf has a PED problem nor do I think the individuals who take them use them with the intent to gain an advantage but likely recover from nagging injuries quicker. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction to also help ensure players are properly taking care of themselves.

On the topic of suspensions becoming public knowledge I have to disagree. I 100% do not condone the use of recreational drug use nor the use of PEDs however people make mistakes. The public does not need to know and the issues should be dealt with internally.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

MG!

Where ya been?

[media=]

[/media]

Eh, laid up, screwed up...you name it - that's me right now. Kind of sympathize with TW, tbh.

Get better man!

This is golf.

[media=]

[/media]

I thought that masking was either easy or unnecessary for water-soluble drugs like amphetamine, but not easy for lipid-soluble drugs (anabolic steroids, THC, etc).

I also thought LC-MS/GC-MS were run to identify any chemical present (which would make masking agents useless).

Plus, I thought masking agents themselves were tested for and on the banned list?

A lot of the time doping athletes get therapeutic use exemptions for the actual masking agents.

The use of PED's screwed up baseball, ruined it for many fans and also screwed up the record books forever. Golf has always been known as probably the most honourable sport. They don't allow cheating of the rules, so they shouldn't allow cheating with drugs either. It's already on the ropes with so many courses closing, and overall business contraction, it would be very dangerous ground to allow PEDs IMO

That's some weird revisionist history...McGwire and Sosa saved baseball.

I want PED's in sports. These are professionals, let them take what they want.

I have always found it kind of funny that athletes can get cortisone shots and be prescribed every which type of painkiller but something like hgh under a doctor's recommendation can't be used for recovery because it's "banned". Seems like a bizarre double standard to take. Professional sports leagues should be doing everything they can to help their players heal from injury, sports are more fun when superstars are healthy and performing.

Painkillers have always confused me. If a drug that reduces pain to allow players to play with injuries isn't performamce enhancing, I don't know what is.