Worst one time PGA tour winner ever

Thrillhouse

On 6/20/2017 at 1:49 PM, Thrillhouse said:

Who ya got?

It's been a minute Brotha👊

I hope life & your game have been Fairways & Greens

Stay Well My Friend,

Richard 

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

On 6/16/2022 at 1:03 PM, golfandfishing said:

5 pages and a thread that’s several years old, but have we seen David Gossett come up yet?  US Am winner, shot 59 in q school. Won his rookie year then bam……., can’t break 80. 

I got to Play with him in 2011 over at the club as he was looking for alternative careers in the real world, and one of our members, Howard Hanna, who's real estate company by the same name(#4 in USA in residential sales), knew the family and was gonna talk with him and spend some time with him. Bro, he was all over the course😂😂.

He smoked it though he had a two way miss and just seemed to miss where all the damage was, which told me that it was mental. I mean, he duck hooked a friggin 3M off our #2 tee, a short 358yd par 4, with trees lining the fairway on both sides though if you're gonna either hook it through/over em or slice it through/over em, ya wanna slice it and come back over the trees with a 9i/wedge to a visible green versus a duck hook puts ya with an uphill blind second shot over the trees. So then on #3, a par 5 along a road, he airmailed it right, over the trees, across the road into someone's front yard😂😂. I'm thinkin, "WTF," though I said nothing until the back nine cuz he did it 2-3 more times, one hole a hook into trouble, the next a slice into the same. I'd never ever seen a Player of his caliber Play like that.

We were walking off 18 green, and even bein in more trash in a day than I was in that whole season, he had an 82, which truly was a testament to his ability, he apologized for his Play and said something about having no control of his swing and an erratic turn, and I couldn't help myself and I said, "Bro, it has nothing to do with your swing. Nothing(I repeated this for emphasis). It's all between your ears." He was a mental basket case and subconsciously was thinkin about and swingin to the trouble. 

Real nice guy though and I believe that he did end up getting into real estate. Next time that I see Hoddy, I'll ask him about him.

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

37 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Bro, I got to Play with him in 2011 over at the club as he was looking for alternative careers in the real world, and one of our members, Howard Hanna, who's real estate company by the same name(#4 in USA in residential sales), knew the family and was gonna talk with him and spend some time with him. Bro, he was all over the course😂😂.

He smoked it though he had a two way miss and just seemed to miss where all the damage was, which told me that it was mental. I mean, he duck hooks a friggin 3M off our #2 tee, a short 358yd par 4, with trees lining the fairway on both sides though if you're gonna either hook it through/over em or slice it through/over em, ya wanna slice it and come back over the trees with a 9i/wedge to a visible green versus a duck hook puts ya with an uphill blind second shot over the trees. So then on #3, a par 5 along a road, he airmails it right, over the trees, across the road into someone's front yard😂😂. I'm thinkin, "WTF," though I said nothing until the back nine cuz he did it 2-3 more times, one hole a hook into trouble, the next a slice into the same. I'd never ever seen a Player of his caliber Play like that.

We were walking off 18 green, and even bein in more trash in a day than I was that whole season, he had an 82, which truly was a testament to his ability, he apologized for his Play and said something about having no control of his swing and an erratic turn, and I couldn't help myself and I said, "Bro, it has nothing to do with your swing. Nothing(I repeated this for emphasis). It's all between your ears." He was a mental basket case and subconsciously was thinkin about and swingin to the trouble. 

Real nice guy though and I believe that he did end up getting into real estate. Next time that I see Hoddy, I'll ask him about him.

Stay Well Brotha👊
RP

The two way miss, the serious kind like that where it’s permanent, keeps tour players up at night. It’s ended many careers and there isn’t a tour player that doesn’t breathe a sigh of relief when their bout with it disappears after a quick range session. Worse than the yips. 

Edit:  Gossett is in commercial real estate with CBRE in Nashville. Hope he’s doing great and enjoying the game still as a member somewhere. 

Edited by golfandfishing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

It's been a minute Brotha👊

I hope life & your game have been Fairways & Greens

Stay Well My Friend,

Richard 

Psst Richard….I don’t know about a “minute”…that post is 5 YEARS old.  

But good to see you posting again!😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I'm just gonna say it. 

• GETTING to the PGA Tour is a WIN.
  • Pulling a Briny Baird and keeping your Tour card for a number of years without a win, IS A WIN.
  • Pulling a Tony Finau and consistently being in the Top 10 without sniffing the trophy IS A WIN.
  • Someone pull up the odds of winning a PGA Tour event, regardless of it's status, large or small, is an incredibly difficult accomplishment.  I've got better odds in Vegas at the craps table than even PLAYING on the PGA Tour, let alone WINNING a tournament.

So ripping into a guy who actually WON a PGA Tour event, even though he might have never done anything else on Tour, is incredibly short sighted.  There's 10,000 guys right now who are driving around the country, trying to Monday qualify, or get a sponsors exemption, just to get the chance to even play in a PGA Tour event.  Most of these guys will NEVER get into a PGA Tour event.  And then there's making the cut at a PGA Tour event, which is just a whole other accomplishment unto itself.

So yeah, I'd take Craig Perks career as a professional golfer, and not even blink thinking about it.  What's worse?  Never having stepped foot on a golf course at a PGA Tour event, or actually winning one?  Yeah, I think Craig is doing ok today.  So is Briny Baird for that matter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DaddySwagMaster said:

I'm just gonna say it. 

• Pulling a Briny Baird and keeping your Tour card for a number of years without a win, IS A WIN.
  • Pulling a Tony Finau and consistently being in the Top 10 without sniffing the trophy IS A WIN.
  • Someone pull up the odds of winning a PGA Tour event, regardless of it's status, large or small, is an incredibly difficult accomplishment.  I've got better odds in Vegas at the craps table than even PLAYING on the PGA Tour, let alone WINNING a tournament.

So ripping into a guy who actually WON a PGA Tour event, even though he might have never done anything else on Tour, is incredibly short sighted.  There's 10,000 guys right now who are driving around the country, trying to Monday qualify, or get a sponsors exemption, just to get the chance to even play in a PGA Tour event.  Most of these guys will NEVER get into a PGA Tour event.  And then there's making the cut at a PGA Tour event, which is just a whole other accomplishment unto itself.

So yeah, I'd take Craig Perks career as a professional golfer, and not even blink thinking about it.  What's worse?  Never having stepped foot on a golf course at a PGA Tour event, or actually winning one?  Yeah, I think Craig is doing ok today.  So is Briny Baird for that matter.

Has anyone ripped into either of those guys?  Being the worst pga tour winner is still certainly a great accomplishment, but there has to be someone. You ever talk about a bad doctor or lawyer?  They still studied hard and accomplished a lot. There has to be a worst pga tour winner, someone has to fit the description. No one ever said the guy was a chop. 

• Like 2

On 6/18/2022 at 2:01 PM, golfandfishing said:

The two way miss, the serious kind like that where it’s permanent, keeps tour players up at night. It’s ended many careers and there isn’t a tour player that doesn’t breathe a sigh of relief when their bout with it disappears after a quick range session. Worse than the yips. 

Edit:  Gossett is in commercial real estate with CBRE in Nashville. Hope he’s doing great and enjoying the game still as a member somewhere. 

Pete and Sam always said that a two way miss for a Player, was the single worst thing a Player could develop, both stating that they'd take a case of the hosel rockets over a two way miss cuz at that level, a hosel rocket is simply a physical swing "glitch," whereas a two way is mental and Pete always said that it was like a "deep dark black hole," lolol.

Whenever someone would bring it up to Pete and he started talkin about it, I told him to either change the subject or I'd leave the discussion cuz I didn't even wanna listen to him discuss it cuz he was so negative and graphic😂😂

Stay Well Bro👊
RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, DaddySwagMaster said:

I'm just gonna say it. 

Agree 💯 My Friend!!!

When I peruse these types of threads and read some of the posts, having been around the game for a bit, I chuckle to myself, though I  ALWAYS am reminded of The Man, and I've had this framed verse for 44+ years, in my HS dorm room, my college bedroom, my college locker room locker, my locker at the Club, my library and on my credenza in my office. 

I'll take The Man, every day all day 7/365 versus those cold and timid souls who have not ever been there done that and competed in the arena.

This is a long *ss thread however you just posted THE finest post in the thread!!

Very Nicely Played Brotha👊

Fairways Greens & Fair Skies 4ever My Friend
RP

CC426705-63AE-4B3B-AE8B-B7AB2D6D14AE.jpeg

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 3

On 6/18/2022 at 8:11 PM, Shilgy said:

Psst Richard….I don’t know about a “minute”…that post is 5 YEARS old.  

But good to see you posting again!😎

😂😂, I know Brotha, I was bein facetious😉

Thanks for the kind response👊

Stay Well🍻

RP

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Forged4ever said:

Pete and Sam always said that a two way miss for a Player, was the single worst thing a Player could develop, both stating that they'd take a case of the hosel rockets over a two way miss cuz at that level, a hosel rocket is simply a physical swing "glitch," whereas a two way is mental and Pete always said that it was like a "deep dark black hole," lolol.

Whenever someone would bring it up to Pete and he started talkin about it, I told him to either change the subject or I'd leave the discussion cuz I didn't even wanna listen to him discuss it cuz he was so negative and graphic😂😂

Stay Well Bro👊
RP

Glad you are posting again RP----- My nemesis is a rope hook---- Man I would rather shank one than rope hook it---- But then again now days i do not swing at it hard enough to roll the wrists and rope it---- My worst miss was a combo pull and rope hook which was darn near a left lateral

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Thanks Richard.

been a strange year!

not playing much, but when I do, I seem to be able to play with little pain.  I feel like a VW Bug at the Indy 500 power wise, but at least can play with students for a bit to help them on course.

looking for a new home to teach in SoCal after returning form Colorado.  Want to hang a permanent shingle out and enjoy myself a bit!!

hope you are well!!

Stu, anybody that’s logged and tried has my respect!  It’s not an easy road!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/21/2017 at 5:36 AM, grm24 said:
On 6/21/2017 at 9:19 AM, cinnepa said:

that dude who beat tiger in his first tourney, was it in Milwaukee??

Ed Fiori. 4 time PGA Tour winner. That was his last win.

I was at that tournament, it was at the John Deere (I think it was called the Hardees or Quad City Open at the time)

It was hilarious to see the contrast between Ed Fiori and Tiger.  Tiger was young, tall, fit, healthy, handsome.  Fiori was short, fat, bald, had coke-bottle glasses, and was constantly smoking.  Tiger led after the 3rd round, but Fiori beat him on Sunday.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2017 at 9:35 PM, golfing_penguin said:

If we're going to ignore Majors for a moment, Angel Cabrera. I found it funny that he's won two of the Big Ones, and had a playoff, yet has done really badly in comparison in the normal events with just the one win

I kinda liked him. For golf anyway. 
Wonder if he gets GC in jail.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 12:09 PM, MUNIGRIT said:

Ed "the grip" Fiori  

He would be fun to go fishing and throw a few beers down with. 

And wouldn’t qualify for this thread…he won four times on tour.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Jwin323 said:

Ernie Gonzalez. Only win was rain shortened 36 hole Pensacola Open.

Wouldn’t be an official win these days.

54-hole event is still considered official, with full points and monies awarded. Any tournament stopped before 54 holes can be completed is reverted to the 36-hole score and the win is considered unofficial, notably Adam Scott at the 2005 Nissan Open.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, woodriff said:

I kinda liked him. For golf anyway. 
Wonder if he gets GC in jail.

Down there where he is at he would be lucky if they got TV of any kind in jail

On 6/21/2022 at 11:30 AM, rangersgoalie said:

Thanks Richard.

been a strange year!

not playing much, but when I do, I seem to be able to play with little pain.  I feel like a VW Bug at the Indy 500 power wise, but at least can play with students for a bit to help them on course.

looking for a new home to teach in SoCal after returning form Colorado.  Want to hang a permanent shingle out and enjoy myself a bit!!

hope you are well!!

Stu, anybody that’s logged and tried has my respect!  It’s not an easy road!!

Thanks man yes we know---- A lot of these Keyboard Warriors have absolutely no clue. Like you these days I have to try without having pain. Any day I can play pain free is a blessing to me. If I can get to the course and attempt to play is a win for me. I came close to being permantally in a wheelchair. My rehab was the hardest uphill battle I ever faced

• Like 1

While way too early to tell for some newer players on the PGA Tour Garrick Higgo might have the clubhouse lead after his win on the PGA Tour last year. His results since that win are pretty bad. Outside of a good team finish this season in New Orleans (no OWGR points) he has really had a tough time since his PGA Tour win last season. Oof.