2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Worst one time PGA tour winner ever

Thrillhouse

I've won 0 dollars on tour but have won hundreds of majors in my on-course fantasies.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

If we're going to ignore Majors for a moment, Angel Cabrera. I found it funny that he's won two of the Big Ones, and had a playoff, yet has done really badly in comparison in the normal events with just the one win

Angel is the best and anyone who plays this fast should get a medal.

Hits before the applause stops.

"Jesus"

Angel won loads in Europe including many flag ships.....boy he was a brilliant player and fully deserved his 2 majors.

If we're going to ignore Majors for a moment, Angel Cabrera. I found it funny that he's won two of the Big Ones, and had a playoff, yet has done really badly in comparison in the normal events with just the one win

"Jesus"

[media=]

[/media]

Angel won loads in Europe including many flag ships.....boy he was a brilliant player and fully deserved his 2 majors.

No doubt he deserves his two majors. Played wonderfully. That said he only has 3 other victories on the European Tour outside of his majors. Has won a ton of events in South America.

"Jesus"

[media=]

[/media]

No doubt he deserves his two majors. Played wonderfully. That said he only has 3 other victories on the European Tour outside of his majors. Has won a ton of events in South America.

One was the pga, against the very best and I mean the best at Wentworth. Always seemed to be in the top 10 challenging and you don't get in the top 50 of the world for a long period of time without being a top top player. I think a little more respect is warranted

Andre Stolz.

Anyone remember him?

Sure. Aussie who caught lightning in a bottle and won Vegas. Never did much of anything else.

Interesting side note - both he and his son played in the same Australian Open.

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

none,

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

"Jesus"

[media=]

[/media]

One was the pga, against the very best and I mean the best at Wentworth. Always seemed to be in the top 10 challenging and you don't get in the top 50 of the world for a long period of time without being a top top player. I think a little more respect is warranted

You guys are all right. I'll put my hands up that I didn't know about the Latin America wins, and I'd not even considered his European Tour wins (If I remember rightly he didn't speak much English at the time and the interview for the BMW win was a little...one-sided)

I withdraw my submission :busted2:

I feel like we're gonna stumble upon someone who has like $500,000 in career earnings from their one win and like $48 for the rest of their PGA tour career.

Someone has to have one win and then nothing else.

John Morse - 1995 Hawaii Open winner (the year Wie played): $216k for that $1.3mil career

Michelle Wie was 5 years old when that tournament was played.

Oops! I'm a muppet with rubbish reading comprehension and math skills. What the heck was I reading?!

Now that would have been a helluva accomplishment then ;)

Lol... I read that and thought, "Oh, that's cool. Wait a second...". :)

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Maybe Derek Ernst, won quite a big one a few years ago, the Wells Fargo Champ, beating the ultimate European Tour journeyman David Lynn in a strange playoff. There were terrible greens and a number of players withdrew before the tournament. Weather conditions were awful, and Rory, Westwood fell down on the back nine. Mickelson was the worst, was leading the whole time then bogeyed his way in to miss out on a playoff. So Ernst never really had any big pressure to deal with as nobody expected him to win, even when he finished. Then beat Lynn with a par on the playoff after Lynn messed up.

He was 4th alternate and 1200 in the world rankings at the time. Has already lost his card since. Currently outside the world's top 800.

Couldnt remember his name but that's the guy!

Or tommy 2 gloves

that dude who beat tiger in his first tourney, was it in Milwaukee??

Ed (the grip) Fiori? No wait, that was the QC tourney... never mind. :fie:

Titleist TSR3 10* Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR3 14.5* GD AD IZ 7X

Titleist T200 3 iron GD AD DI HY

Titleist T150 4-PW DG Tour White

Titleist Vokey 48*, 54*, 60* DG Tour Issue

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Don't know if this qualifies, but Bill Rogers. He won the British Open back in 1981 and earned next to nothing after that until he retired 6 - 8 years later. I think he earned less than $8,000 in that time. I read about him quite a while ago, so my numbers might a wee bit off. I know google is my friend, but... :-)

He won 6 times on tour, and was considered the next big thing for a bit. PGA tour player of the year and a Ryder Cupper.

Bill Rogers (golfer)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill Rogers Personal information Full name William Charles Rogers Nickname Panther Born September 10, 1951 (age 65)

Waco, Texas Height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m) Weight 148 lb (67 kg; 10.6 st) Nationality 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUnited States Residence San Antonio, Texas Career College University of Houston Turned professional 1974 Former tour(s) PGA Tour

Champions Tour Professional wins 14 Number of wins by tour PGA Tour 6 Japan Golf Tour 3 Best results in major championships

(wins: 1) Masters Tournament T29: 1978 U.S. Open T2: 1981 The Open Championship Won: 1981 PGA Championship T8: 1980 Achievements and awards PGA Player of the Year 1981

William Charles Rogers (born September 10, 1951) is an American professional golfer who is best known as the winner of the 1981 Open Championship.

Rogers was born in Waco, Texas. [1] His father was a lieutenant colonel in the United States Air Force, and Rogers spent part of his military brat youth in Morocco and Germany. Rogers began playing golf at age nine and later attended the University of Houston, where he played on the Cougar golf team and roomed with fellow future PGA Tour pro Bruce Lietzke.[2] As an amateur golfer, he played for the U.S. in the 1973 Walker Cup.

Rogers played the PGA Tour full-time from 1975 to 1988 and won six tournaments, including four in 1981.[3] Almost uniquely for an American golfer, his two most notable victories were in Britain: Rogers won the Suntory World Match Play Championship at Wentworth in 1979, and The Open Championship in 1981 at Royal St George's, four strokes ahead of runner-up Bernhard Langer. He was the PGA Player of the Year for 1981, and finished second on McCormack's World Golf Rankings; he was also on the Ryder Cup team in 1981.

In 1982, Rogers won the PGA Grand Slam of Golf, and led the U.S. Open during the final day before falling short. After one further PGA Tour win in 1983, Rogers' tour career faded to the point where he experienced burnout; he left the tour in 1988 and took a position as director of golf at San Antonio Country Club, where he worked for 11 years.[2]

Since turning 50 in 2001, Rogers has played sporadically on the Champions Tour; his most notable accomplishment as a senior player was winning the team portion of the 2002 Liberty Mutual Legends of Golf with Bruce Lietzke.

Rogers lives in San Antonio, Texas.[2]

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I've got a good one to mull over....Butch Harmon....think about it.

(great teacher though.)

Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

would you rather be on this list or the list of guys that have made a lot of money but no wins? one can always call himself a PGA tour winner but the other has set himself (and is family) up for life.

Hmmm, frankly both are good lists to be on. Personally I'd rather be on the lots of money, long career, no wins list. A lot of the one time winners had 3-5 year careers and wound up teaching golf or selling insurance (or something). I'd rather be a career tour pro.

Feels like we're singling out the ugliest SI Swimsuit Edition model...

True, but it's fun to talk about!

would you rather be on this list or the list of guys that have made a lot of money but no wins? one can always call himself a PGA tour winner but the other has set himself (and is family) up for life.

Hmmm, frankly both are good lists to be on. Personally I'd rather be on the lots of money, long career, no wins list. A lot of the one time winners had 3-5 year careers and wound up teaching golf or selling insurance (or something). I'd rather be a career tour pro.

That's it. Take a look at our compatriot, Mr. Delaet. He's been on the tour since 2010, has no wins, but is at $10mil career earnings and still has many earnable years left - even with some chip yips thrown in.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Feels like we're singling out the ugliest SI Swimsuit Edition model...

More like the ugliest in the ESPN the Magazine, body edition. So Gary Player.

Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Going old school....Greg Twiggs. One win at Torrey Pines in 1989.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

You know what? I'm taking that back. I'm not going to call anyone a "worst player...". The son of a gun won a tour event. Good for him! More to show for his golf career than most of us. I'll just call him "most obscure player with a tour win". I remember his win back in the day. Home town kid on his home town course and he skunked em. I just looked it up and he beat Steve Elkington, Brad Faxon, Mark O'Meara and Mark Wiebe by 2 shots. I think I'll go toast the man with a spot of Laphroaig in his honor. All Hail Greg Twiggs!!!

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Don't know if this qualifies, but Bill Rogers. He won the British Open back in 1981 and earned next to nothing after that until he retired 6 - 8 years later. I think he earned less than $8,000 in that time. I read about him quite a while ago, so my numbers might a wee bit off. I know google is my friend, but... :-)

Rogers won 6 times on the PGA Tour including 2 more wins in 1981 after the Open. 4 wins total in 1981. He won his last event in 1983.

Good looks. Prize money shouldn't be the biggest determination, especially with smaller purses back then

You know what? I'm taking that back. I'm not going to call anyone a "worst player...". The son of a gun won a tour event. Good for him! More to show for his golf career than most of us. I'll just call him "most obscure player with a tour win". I remember his win back in the day. Home town kid on his home town course and he skunked em. I just looked it up and he beat Steve Elkington, Brad Faxon, Mark O'Meara and Mark Wiebe by 2 shots. I think I'll go toast the man with a spot of Laphroaig in his honor. All Hail Greg Twiggs!!!

Worst is a relative term. No one is saying any tour winner is a bad golfer. Within any group, someone is best and someone is worst. These threads are all conjecture, just for fun.