146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else lovin' Jordan Spieth is chewing gum while playing?

The gum has dropped Jordan from a +7 to a +8 handicap, easily.

Payne Stewart did for his 3 major wins.....tension relief

I can remember Payne chompin away and I was just a rugrat back then!

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

A little bit of weather really shows that these guys are one dimensional golfers.

Incredibly good at bomb and gouge in warm weather with little or no breeze, as is the norm on the PGA Tour.

15mph is a breeze, 30mph is a bit windy.

if you can't manage the ball in a bit of wind you are not a complete golfer.

Bubba was heard to say "you can't play golf in this", sad really, but proves my point.

Not to mention bunkers that are actually a hazard sometimes, they are not used to the idea that you should not go into bunkers! because normally they are not a hazard at all.

Reminds me of caddying for a Canadian Am in an international comp at my club (seaside australia) he had NO IDEA how to play golf in a breeze.

PGA Tour really is golf wrapped in cotton wool.

A little bit of weather really shows that these guys are one dimensional golfers.

Incredibly good at bomb and gouge in warm weather with little or no breeze, as is the norm on the PGA Tour.

Bubba was heard to say "you can't play golf in this", sad really, but proves my point.

Not to mention bunkers that are actually a hazard sometimes, they are not used to the idea that you should not go into bunkers! because normally they are not a hazard at all.

Reminds me of caddying for a Canadian Am in an international comp at my club (seaside australia) he had NO IDEA how to play golf in a breeze.

Well considering the source is Mr. "Water on the clubface bro" I don't give that too much credence.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Yeah, they are all snowflakes and duffers. You and I could have played much better then them today.

Some good truth here. There are a couple who aren't conventional and who actually play better in the junk ... poulter , kuchar , Spieth to name a couple. But most. Yea they are one trick ponies.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Boy I was impressed with Speith today....brilliant scrambler! Just seems destined to win a few claret jugs as his game is so suited for links golf! Very much like Tom Watson

Oh yea. Just think. He could end the week with 3 legs of the career grand slam. Needing only the PGA. Who would be willing to bet me that he wouldn't win the PGA before Rory gets the masters win? kid has it upstairs and that's worth more than any 340 yard drives at this level.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Boy I was impressed with Speith today....brilliant scrambler! Just seems destined to win a few claret jugs as his game is so suited for links golf! Very much like Tom Watson

Oh yea. Just think. He could end the week with 3 legs of the career grand slam. Needing only the PGA. Who would be willing to bet me that he wouldn't win the PGA before Rory gets the masters win? kid has it upstairs and that's worth more than any 340 yard drives at this level.

#YJS

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Lol at some of the comments here. "It's over, Spieth will win". He has a good chance as he's found his putting form. I don't think he will tho. He had more breaks than many. Not saying he doesn't deserve the lead, but there are others who look more solid and I don'think Spieth can keep it up for 4 full days with that low amount of GIR just beeing crazy on and around greens.

OK, let's look at the stats. There are nine golfers under par. Here are their GIRs after two days. And, IMHO, GIR stats correlate with scores more than any other stat.

Spieth 23

Kucher 23

Poulter 21

Koepka 20

Ramsay 20

Connelly 21

McIlroy 20

Woodland 24

Bland 23

Spieth has hit more greens than five of the other eight leaders and the same as two more. Only Woodland has more (one more) GIRs.

so what happened to Bland?

By the way it's hammering it down at present time...good job it's 11.15pm. Sunny tomorrow!

Was Tom Watson a guy with a lot of shots wayward but a houdini short play? Sounds more like Seve.

Gutted for Adam Hadwin, 71-82 to head home has to be embarrassing and severely disappointing.

the 67-80 of justin thomas is worse..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

Am I correct that Alfie Plant has secured the silver medal today? They don't just look at score relative to par right?

If you're the only Am to make the cut, done deal I'm assuming.

Good for him. He's planning to turn pro this year I read, and he's playing this well after four years as a letter carrier when he could only play golf seriously in the summer!

you are correct..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Set up for a very interesting weekend.

Hard to see past Spieth at the moment. He said on Sky Sports that he felt that he didn't get as much out of his round as he should have done yesterday but got more out of today than he should have done. I can see him playing better tomorrow. The forecast is looking pretty decent tomorrow.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

I'm just setting my DVR for Saturday; just wanted to check your tee-time so I'm sure not to miss it...

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*

Hybrid:  Ping G425 30*
Irons: TaylorMade Stealth 7-AW
Wedges: PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 56* 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II 62*
Putter:  Directed Force 2.1
Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft

Gutted for Adam Hadwin, 71-82 to head home has to be embarrassing and severely disappointing.

I'm sure I'll end up eating my words at some point, but JT's game is not well suited for a traditional British Open like we have this year (wind, elements, etc.). I see him as a contender in the other three majors, but unless he makes an effort to control his ball flight or gets lucky with an Open that has no wind, I think that he'll always struggle in this tournament.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

been watching more than 24 hours of the Open so far and have never seen so many golfers putting from off the green, hit so many controlled second shots and no driver from the tee..

i guess this is what links golf is all about and only those who can handle it will do well..

it is not the kind of golf you can play well unless you practice doing it or play these type of courses a lot..

kudos to those who can do it!!

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

I'm sure I'll end up eating my words at some point, but JT's game is not well suited for a traditional British Open like we have this year (wind, elements, etc.). I see him as a contender in the other three majors, but unless he makes an effort to control his ball flight or gets lucky with an Open that has no wind, I think that he'll always struggle in this tournament.

so was his day 1 performance a fluke? if he didn't pull that 9 in the killer rough, would you be saying the same thing if he was at even par?

so was his day 1 performance a fluke? if he didn't pull that 9 in the killer rough, would you be saying the same thing if he was at even par?

his day 1 performance showed his talent...day 2 showed his weaknesses..

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

Haa haaa nice thanks, copping flak for stating the truth.

Peter Thompson won 5 Opens because he could hit the ball low.

If you hit the ball low with almost no side spin it will not deviate even in a strong wind, its like a hot knife through butter.

Its a great tournament because it shows that controlling the ball is more important than length.

That's pretty much what Butch Harmon was saying on Sky Sports yesterday. I'm not minded to disagree with him or you. That said, Hawaii usually seems to be pretty windy and managed to get it round ok. Different I guess when it's windy but still sunny and in the 80's as opposed to pouring down with rain and you have three layers on.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

been watching more than 24 hours of the Open so far and have never seen so many golfers putting from off the green, hit so many controlled second shots and no driver from the tee..

i guess this is what links golf is all about and only those who can handle it will do well..

it is not the kind of golf you can play well unless you practice doing it or play these type of courses a lot..

What's funny is that this is really the only week of the year most of these guys have to play this way. The way golf was meant to be played? OK. Golf, however, is completely different now for the other 51 weeks of the year. The really great thing is that the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, the R&A, still purports to call the winner the world champion golfer of the year. It's like telling Tom Brady he's not the best QB unless he wins a flag football tournament played in parts unknown. (which, he probably would) Love watching it, though!

Hard to see past Spieth at the moment. He said on Sky Sports that he felt that he didn't get as much out of his round as he should have done yesterday but got more out of today than he should have done. I can see him playing better tomorrow. The forecast is looking pretty decent tomorrow.

I think other players will gain more from nicer conditions.

I think other players will gain more from nicer conditions.

My thinking is that Jordan wasn't at his best today but in spite of that he managed to get round in 69 in the worst of the weather. Better conditions tomorrow and hopefully some better golf and that should be a good combination.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

the best scrambler will win this..

...so far it's been Jordan.

Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Cleveland 588 56/60

What's funny is that this is really the only week of the year most of these guys have to play this way. The way golf was meant to be played? OK. Golf, however, is completely different now for the other 51 weeks of the year. The really great thing is that the ruler of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, the R&A, still purports to call the winner the world champion golfer of the year. It's like telling Tom Brady he's not the best QB unless he wins a flag football tournament played in parts unknown. (which, he probably would) Love watching it, though!

You're analogy is wrong. Playing in the wind is all about hitting the ball square. And, yes, sometimes it helps to take a 3/4 swing or 1/2 swing to hit the ball square. I saw Jordan take his fairway wood today, and put a half swing on it with a cut swing, and hit the ball right up onto the green that way. Might have been the best shot that I saw today, because he planned for it, and he hit it just the way that he thought that he could.

The very best players can hit shots like that when it counts; and there were times today when that was the shot.

The cream will come to the top in this one, just like it does at Augusta and most times at the US Open. It's the same game; it just looks different to your eye.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse