2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

146th Open Championship at Royal Birkdale

i*windows

I did hear him say in post round interview that he was intentionally aiming right of the fairway as to not deal with the bunkers on that hole. But clearly he wasn't aiming that far right. Watch him grab his head after that tee shot. It looked like he was in complete melt down mode. Somehow dealing with the nasty unplayable situation made him focus and he got it together to say the least. I think this is huge for Jordan not only now but moving forward.

What a close. Get the man some coffee.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That has got to be one of the all time great finishes in a major. Consider what was at stake, If he had lost, he would've been labeled an all time choker. Now he is a legend in the making.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

During the #13 debacle with Spieth I had to shut off the NBC commentators. And even turn off CC.

They kept on droning on and on "just go back to the tee-box and rehit your drive..." etc etc

If Jordan took their advice he makes no lower than a 6.

Jordan proceeds to make one of the most interesting bogey 5s (and important ones) I've ever seen.

...didn't catch them correct themselves after the hole!

Agree, Johnny Miller made a fool of himself.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

During the #13 debacle with Spieth I had to shut off the NBC commentators. And even turn off CC.

They kept on droning on and on "just go back to the tee-box and rehit your drive..." etc etc

If Jordan took their advice he makes no lower than a 6.

Jordan proceeds to make one of the most interesting bogey 5s (and important ones) I've ever seen.

...didn't catch them correct themselves after the hole!

Agree, Johnny Miller made a fool of himself.

Sometimes a bogie is a "great" score!

>Mavrik Max 12.5* 

>Mavrik 16.5* 4w

>Mavrik Max 4, 5, 6, 7 hybrids

>7--SW Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blade Irons

>MD5 Jaws 58* W grind LW

>Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Putter

Kuchar is such a nice guy I can't imagine the emotional roller coaster he was on thru the back 9.

To go from 3 down, to 2 up and then in a matter of two holes be back down by 1 it's got to mess with his head. I am sure the 30 minute delay didn't help him but who would have thought Jordan could come back from that mess with a birdie and eagle.

Kuchar was like a field goal kicker who gets the "freeze" treatment by the opposing team's time out.

Except in this case, it worked.

Ya but somehow kuch went into 14 up played it Par-Birdie-Par-Birdie and came out two down, not exactly a choke

I would have to agree Bro!!

When you're one up and ya Play a four hole stretch on the back nine on Sunday of a Major at -2 and you're standing 2-down on 18 tee, LMAO, well, I know an awful lot of Players, cough cough Norman, who would Love to have those four holes on their back nine

If Kuch could kick a football, he could kick for my team any day!!

Have a great week Gents

My Best

RP

I think he finished very well and holed a couple of clutch putts to not lose more ground but if Matt could have made a couple of putts earlier on in his round when Jordan was really struggling and even holed for 3 on 13 it might have been different. Not easy to do on a Sunday when in contention though and will surely help him if he ever gets close again.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

Why?

Because Spieth was smart enough to realise that purposely missing the 13 way right was better than being in one of the fairway pot bunkers. With the enormous galleries, he figured a lost ball was unlikely and even having to take an unplayable, as he did, was less penal than potentially having no stance in a fairway pot.

Not Spieths fault, but the R&A need to take note for next time. We are told the fairway pot bunkers need to be avoided at all cost and it seems on occassion the best policy is to miss the fairway by miles, or even purposly aim into the vast areas where the spectators have walked rather than play the hole as intended.

You think he hit that drive on purpose?

No. Not even close. He MAY have been playing right of the bunkers, but not 100 yards right.

And the R & A official said the practice range is not OB for the members so it's not OB for the Pros. I doubt they will ever change it.

Thought Jordan's post round press conference was very well done, esp his words about kouchar

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Thought Jordan's post round press conference was very well done, esp his words about kouchar

hes a fascinating character. so honest and candid about what he's going thru mentally. only 23, highly intelligent guy

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon MKii DI 3 Axiom 105

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-PW KBS Tour 

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

I wonder what was going through Jordan's head during the middle of his final round.

Even though he is ~Young~ Jordan Spieth... the golf that he played on 14-17 will have a lasting effect of how people and the media view him as someone who can close-out major tournaments.

Think about the headlines if Jordan collapses on 13, never recovers.

We would again be talking about #12 at Augusta in 2016.

Amazing mental toughness by YJS

I'll remember this the most, Jordan to Mikey . . . "Go get that".

Haha! I agree. Can't mistake him mouthing those words to his caddie after that eagle putt. Do you think they had slightly different reads on the putt... and JS took his own read and holed it?

That's what I read about that comment!! :)

Nothing wrong with what Spieth did but the practice ground really should be OoB.

Why?

Because Spieth was smart enough to realise that purposely missing the 13 way right was better than being in one of the fairway pot bunkers. With the enormous galleries, he figured a lost ball was unlikely and even having to take an unplayable, as he did, was less penal than potentially having no stance in a fairway pot.

Not Spieths fault, but the R&A need to take note for next time. We are told the fairway pot bunkers need to be avoided at all cost and it seems on occassion the best policy is to miss the fairway by miles, or even purposly aim into the vast areas where the spectators have walked rather than play the hole as intended.

You think he hit that drive on purpose?

No. Not even close. He MAY have been playing right of the bunkers, but not 100 yards right.

And the R & A official said the practice range is not OB for the members so it's not OB for the Pros. I doubt they will ever change it.

The practice ground is very different when the Open isn't there though. No tour vans, no grandstands etc. I think the R&A will act as a result. Unintentionally, Spieth found a ligitimate way to play the 13th and avoid the major trouble off the tee - Ironically, if his drive had been even wider his second shot would have been where he played his third from and he would have made par.

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

If not designating the practice ground OoB, at least make it a compulsory drop in some knee-high rough.

So on top of one shot penalty, add another?

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

The practice ground is very different when the Open isn't there though. No tour vans, no grandstands etc. I think the R&A will act as a result. Unintentionally, Spieth found a ligitimate way to play the 13th and avoid the major trouble off the tee - Ironically, if his drive had been even wider his second shot would have been where he played his third from and he would have made par.

Lol still on this "R&A better do something about this non-controversy"?

Players take an alternative route to make it play shorter not longer; prime example being the internal OB on #10. On #13 kuchar who's one of the shorter hitters hit 6 iron from the fairway. spieth (who's longer) was in between 3 wood and hybrid from the range! Besides that it was an awful angle bringing the green side bunkers much more in play. Seriously give it a rest

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Haha! I agree. Can't mistake him mouthing those words to his caddie after that eagle putt. Do you think they had slightly different reads on the putt... and JS took his own read and holed it?

I heard it was something he saw happen in old Opens where the players left and let the caddies pick up big putts like that. He was having fun, going a bit old school and keeping it light and fun with his caddie.

I think he wanted him to grab it so Matt could get on with his shot. Jordan was quite a distance away.

The members don't play that range as OB, the course is playing as it would typically for the members. There is not a distinct advantage to playing over to that range, so it's ok. They designated the fairway on 10 as OB since even though the members don't play it as OB, the long hitters on tour can take a shortcut through there which is not something the R&A thought was in the spirit of the competition or safety of players and fans.

Does not compute.

It's as if the fact that he had to take a penalty stroke to drop there is being forgotten because he saved the bogey. Let say the vans were not there why, would he have to to drop in knee high rough after taking the unplayable lie penalty? And what makes anyone think that his shot from that point whould have been any harder. If anything he got a worse line to the hole from the TIO relief.

He avoided major trouble off the tee because he probably the best player in the world at the moment,

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

The members don't play that range as OB, the course is playing as it would typically for the members. There is not a distinct advantage to playing over to that range, so it's ok. They designated the fairway on 10 as OB since even though the members don't play it as OB, the long hitters on tour can take a shortcut through there which is not something the R&A thought was in the spirit of the competition or safety of players and fans.

So this is what it's come to? arguing about where the OB should be on a certain hole at a major venue? Why does this even matter and why does anyone even care? For eff's sake.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

What is considered the playing grounds? Craziest ruling I have ever seen in such an event.

Typically courses try to make as much of the interior grounds as possible part of the course. I think in the spirit of "hit it and go get it". I'm all for this , internal OB is awkward

Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips

Kept myself off of here over the last couple of rounds, I wanted to watch it and take it in as much as I could.

Still can't get over the display of grit that we saw from Spieth yesterday. When he was looking for a place to take that drop on 13 my head was spinning. I couldn't believe what I was seeing and I cannot comprehend what must have been going through his thoughts. The crazy thing is that you just knew he was going to hole that bogey putt. No one has been as money with a putter in there hand since Tiger in his prime.

The energy that that gave him was unreal and to then play the next four holes in -5 is just insane. It was Man United vs Bayern Munich in 1999 on a golf course.

Greatest night of my life! Still get goosebumps about that night in Barcelona... Oh teddy and ole!

So this is what it's come to? arguing about where the OB should be on a certain hole at a major venue? Why does this even matter and why does anyone even care? For eff's sake.

They have to have a reason that Jordan should have lost. Like denying all of the laws of physics and invoking some mystical, magical force called "luck".

I would venture to bet that the vast majority of those posters would deny the existence of a god, yet feel the need for some higher power that controls events and gives some good breaks and some bad. They are weak-minded people who tend to refuse responsibility and make excuses when they fail.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

It's not taking anything away from Jordan and his accomplishments to at least have a discussion about whether or not an area used for equipment parking should be marked as out of bounds. For me it's not so much about a competitive advantage as it is about logistics. If the exact same scenario played out on Friday morning for anyone, it would have been a logistical nightmare. It's not an indictment of this tournament, just a conversation for course setup when they return to Birkdale