Taylormade P790 Irons

trhode

I'm taking 7k spin 7 iron over 5800 spin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It really depends on the loft of the club, not the number stamped on it. As clubs get stronger lofted, it is key to keep an eye on both launch and descent angles. I can tell you that in Indiana, if you have a strong lofted 7 iron, say 31º, with 7000 rpm spin, that ball is gonna balloon in the wind every time.

I'm taking 7k spin 7 iron over 5800 spin any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

It really depends on the loft of the club, not the number stamped on it. As clubs get stronger lofted, it is key to keep an eye on both launch and descent angles. I can tell you that in Indiana, if you have a strong lofted 7 iron, say 31º, with 7000 rpm spin, that ball is gonna balloon in the wind every time.

Yep this. I would say "optimal" spin for a 30-31* 7i is not the 7k number that all players seem to gravitate to. It's probably a lot closer to the 6k-6.3k mark, but it is very important to note the decent angle. If you're finding a 30* 7i is spinning the 5k range, then you should think about either weakening your loft or potentially a less stiff tip with the shaft, depending on LA.

I'm very interested in the 790's as they seem to be more forgiving looking than the 770's and 750's, and certainly the 730's. If anything I could see myself going 5-7 in the 790, then 8-pw in the 770.

With spin really being a result of loft and CG I doubt you would see a 31* 7i spin at 7k. The 0311T is 32*, most players sets are 33 or 34*. My FG Tours use a 35* 7i.

Most high level players probably prefer to get the height from loft and keep spin up.

Looking at it another way, I would expect to hit the P790 7i at 30.5* as far as my current 6i at 31*. In that case I am currently getting 6100 rpm and would get 5800 but with a steeper descent from the same yardage with the P790 and likely more accuracy from the shorter club length. When you look at this 7i as a replacement for your current 6i the spin is less of a concern. The concern then is the wide loft gaps in the 8, 9, & PW.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

My gut is telling me that a glaring gap exists between the P730 blade and the 'hollow' driving-iron-inspired P790 irons. I believe there is a possibility TM may soon fill that gap with yet another P-Series Iron in the style and design scheme of the 730790, but this one will be a non-hollow Players CB and it may be named the P780 CB... :tongue:

From a cluhead design standpoint, the 750/770 are really 'a family unto themselves' within the greater P-iron Family' because the 750/770 actually have a completely different style and design scheme than the newer 730/790 irons. I therefore think a non-hollow CB that is more closely matched to the 730/790 design scheme makes a whole lot of sense, especially for the combo lovers out there. I also predict that if and when a new P780 CB iron is announced, the troublesome 'slotted face' (M!/M2) irons will be done, and that will be the end of all the troublesome 'slotted face' irons from TM... :beee:

Keep in mind the PGA Equipment show comes in January and Christmas is coming too. I suspect TM may introduce 'something new' in irons along with a whole new line of Metalwoods by the end of the year. Of course, this is all just speculation, and I could be 100% wrong, but I wanted to share what my 'gut' is telling me! A iron with a name like P780 CB sure does have a nice ring to it.. :rolleyes:

Consider this 'food for thought' if you are about to buy...and check your own gut on this!.. :wacko:

The pics below will help you appreciate how 'different looking' the 'P' Family model designs really are... :swoon:

[b]What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)[/b]

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft

The more I see of these, like the Epic Pro vs P790 comparison Mike Newton just did, the more I am concerned they will be too large to stand to look at.

Can anyone compare them in size to the i200? That is an iron I like but it is larger than what I would normally play. It is the very upper limit of how large I could stand for an iron to be. Any larger and my decision to go 718 AP2 will be made.

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Here is the michael newton golf video re the epic pro vs p790 irons that sef above referenced.

Once again the same story with these as the spin is mid to upper 5000 rpms!

Low spin distance irons with a more players look.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The more I see of these, like the Epic Pro vs P790 comparison Mike Newton just did, the more I am concerned they will be too large to stand to look at.

Can anyone compare them in size to the i200? That is an iron I like but it is larger than what I would normally play. It is the very upper limit of how large I could stand for an iron to be. Any larger and my decision to go 718 AP2 will be made.

I had a set of i200s and at address they appeared bigger to me than the Epic Pros. I couldn't get used to the size, so I went back to the iBlades. The Epics appeared to be about the same size as the i200s (not the pros). I'm hoping the 790s aren't as "juiced" as the Epic Pros which are just too long to be able to pick gaps in wedges. It doesn't take much to go from acceptable at address to intolerable..

I had a set of i200s and at address they appeared bigger to me than the Epic Pros. I couldn't get used to the size, so I went back to the iBlades. The Epics appeared to be about the same size as the i200s (not the pros). I'm hoping the 790s aren't as "juiced" as the Epic Pros which are just too long to be able to pick gaps in wedges. It doesn't take much to go from acceptable at address to intolerable..

I guess I won't know for sure until I see them in person. I have hit the i200 but never bagged them. I gamed the FG Tour F5 for 2 weeks when I thought I would give something more forgiving a try but could not stand the wide sole.

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Damn, I guess with all the GOOD reviews Taylormade decided to raise their prices before they were even released!!

No worries i will be the 1st to give it a bad review :)

TI M2 (2016) 8.5° AD-GP 6x (backup Adams Fast 12 LS 7.5°)
TI M2 (2016) 13° TS AD-GP 7x
TI P790 #1 UDI 14° KBS Tour Hybrid Graphite Prototype 95X (backup TI RSi TP UDI #1 16° MRC Kuro Kage Silver 90HY TX)
TI TM P790 3-PW NS Pro Prototype 2F15 X-Stiff
TI TM Milled GRIND 52° & 59° KBS Tour Nickel Black X-Stiff
TI Bullseye Tour Putter
KSIG/PROv1x

I hit the 7 iron last week. I had it for a few days and wasn't in a big hurry to hit it. Maybe it is the set I am playing with is working so well. Things changed after I hit it though. :pimp:

They are high and felt very long with a soft feel. I hit it and went to 3 of my friends on the range to let them try it. I was VERY excited. Trying to get a set ASAP.... pulling all the strings.

The topline is thicker. I like that. They have reduced offset and workable sole widths.

The feel was really good. Soft as PXG but the distance was big. Felt the height would take care of any reduced spin to hold a green.

They said that TM Tour had limited sets. Coming soon.

Yes....low spin = distance.

The monitor data is very clear...no free lunch. Same height as the pxg irons just less spin.

Manufacturers know what sells.

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

The monitor data is very clear...no free lunch. Same height as the pxg irons just less spin.

I will test vs the PXG as well. But seemed to have a lot more pop off the face than the PXG irons.

As for what sells... Distance + height + feel + players look is a winner winner. Lower spin seems to follow the speed. There lies the issue for some that play hard greens.

Nice to hit a 5 iron 200 yards.

I will test vs the PXG as well. But seemed to have a lot more pop off the face than the PXG irons.

As for what sells... Distance + height + feel + players look is a winner winner. Lower spin seems to follow the speed. There lies the issue for some that play hard greens.

Plenty of testing of the p790 and pxg irons already posted in post 291 above.

Not if that 5 iron hits the green and then bounds over the green into the hazard.

Yes, distance sells but it should be tempered with sense that the main purpose of an iron is accuracy not distance.

Add loft until you get desired decent angle...

New Bag in the making...

The important factors when selecting irons should be directed at the model that gives one .... accuracy, precision and consistency. Distance is one of the last factors considered.

Unfortunately, that is not what most look at. Distance is highly overrated in irons....but again it sells like it does in drivers...wrong thinking.

The p790 is a fairly large size head and that may help promote the accuracy/consistency that are the most imporant factors.

Does the variable face thickness or inverted cone or sole slot or interior speedfoam help in that regard ... how much....those are the questions I would be asking.

Plenty of testing of the p790 and pxg irons already posted in post 291 above.

Not if that 5 iron hits the green and then bounds over the green into the hazard.

Yes, distance sells but it should be tempered with sense that the main purpose of an iron is accuracy not distance.

Pretty sure he said they had plenty of height to hold the green at that spin rate

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

The online reviewers are generally showing about 5500 - 5600 spin for the 7i (a 30.5 degree club). They call that "low spin" for a 7 iron. However, that's probably about the same spin as their gamer 30 degree irons (most likely their 6 iron).

So P790 30.5* club @ 5600 = low spin

gamer forged player's 30* club @ 5600 = good spin

whatever........

The important factors when selecting irons should be directed at the model that gives one .... accuracy, precision and consistency. Distance is one of the last factors considered.

Unfortunately, that is not what most look at. Distance is highly overrated in irons....but again it sells like it does in drivers...wrong thinking.

The p790 is a fairly large size head and that may help promote the accuracy/consistency that are the most imporant factors.

Does the variable face thickness or inverted cone or sole slot or interior speedfoam help in that regard ... how much....those are the questions I would be asking.

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just dont agree with you right now. That's ok. :) Distance in the long irons is a green light for me. You can have accuracy, precision, consistency and distance as well IMO.

My opinion about distance with irons changes like the tide. That being said I do like distance in the 3-6 irons right now. After the 5 iron I could give a rats a** about distance. However I am 50 years old and hit a 180 6 iron. In a few years I might want a 6 and or 7 iron to give me high and long as well. Overrated??? NMHJO... High and long is good for me in the long irons.

As for balls that "bound over greens into the hazards" because of lack of spin, I dont know about that. I play a lot of golf and use hybrids for 3 and 4 irons lately and cant muster one of those. Might want to lace a fade in there Bob. ;)

As for the TM 790 heads.... these "player" looks with the speed package might not be for some but they represent the holy grail for many. I have been asking for a blended set like this for years. Apex got it and here is another.

Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I just dont agree with you right now. That's ok. :) Distance in the long irons is a green light for me. You can have accuracy, precision, consistency and distance as well IMO.

My opinion about distance with irons changes like the tide. That being said I do like distance in the 3-6 irons right now. After the 5 iron I could give a rats a** about distance. However I am 50 years old and hit a 180 6 iron. In a few years I might want a 6 and or 7 iron to give me high and long as well. Overrated??? NMHJO... High and long is good for me in the long irons.

As for balls that "bound over greens into the hazards" because of lack of spin, I dont know about that. I play a lot of golf and use hybrids for 3 and 4 irons lately and cant muster one of those. Might want to lace a fade in there Bob. ;)

As for the TM 790 heads.... these "player" looks with the speed package might not be for some but they represent the holy grail for many. I have been asking for a blended set like this for years. Apex got it and here is another.

These seem like a dream, can't wait to hit them. Apex CF 16 performance but with lower offset? Bingo. I take a lot of stock in Shiels' review regarding the feel as well. Very exciting offering.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

So........Taylormade.....

When will you stop this "distance" iron craze and produce an iron like the P790 that has:

- More loft.....that begets more spin to hold a green;

- Higher COG .... that gets the ball down due to higher lofts;

- Like the P790 with an XL size for forgiveness.

Yes, an XL size real Players Iron with more spin BUT more size to offer forgiveness on offcenter strikes.

- This allows a high spin forgiveness iron with more precision than your distance irons due to more spin.

Akin to the large, very forgiving 460cc drivers that have so much improved driving accuracy and been much more precise on off center strikes.

Another question for those in Carlsbad this week!

Waiting to put my Pre-order in just as soon as announced!!!

So........Taylormade.....

When will you stop this "distance" iron craze and produce an iron like the P790 that has:

- More loft.....that begets more spin to hold a green;

- Higher COG .... that gets the ball down due to higher lofts;

- Like the P790 with an XL size for forgiveness.

Yes, an XL size real Players Iron with more spin BUT more size to offer forgiveness on offcenter strikes.

- This allows a high spin forgiveness iron with more precision than your distance irons due to more spin.

Akin to the large, very forgiving 460cc drivers that have so much improved driving accuracy and been much more precise on off center strikes.

Another question for those in Carlsbad this week!

Waiting to put my Pre-order in just as soon as announced!!!

1º of loft will get you approx. 300rpm's of spin. Bend it!

I want about 1500 more rpms like a players iron... 0311T data!

Bending will produce some increase....BUT will also increase height...YIKES!

Didn't ask for more height...same height as current....higher COG is required.

Ah! Sorry Taylormade, did I spill the beans...... P810 soon to be announced forgiving Players irons.

Got my P790 demos in today. Size and look from address is almost the same as my JPX900 Forged irons.

Could you post some comparison pictures by chance?

WITB:
*Taylormade Stealth+ 8.25, Fujikura Ventus Black S
*Taylormade Stealth 2 3&5
*Titleist T350 4 Iron, T200 5/6, T150 7-pw (bent 1 strong) Modus 120s
*Vokey SM8 Jet Black Limited 52/56/60
*Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2+
*Titleist ProV1x
*Nike hybrid cart bag.