2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

2017-18 NFL Thread

CrabDaddy

Training camp has opened, so this thread is past due.

Seems like more big name players than usual switched teams this year:

Adrian Petersen to the Saints

Latavius Murray to the Vikes

Marshawn Lynch out of retirement to the Raiders

Brandin Cooks to the Patriots

LaGarette Blount to the Eagles

Eddie Lacy to the Seahawks

Jared Cook to the Raiders

Julius Thomas to the Dolphins

...lots more, but I also need to include

Brock Osweiller to the Browns (seems like a match made in heaven)

Notable rookies:

Deshaun Watson - Texans

Dalvin Cook - Vikings

Leonard Fournette - Jaguars

Myles Garrett - Browns

Joe Mixon, John Ross - Bengals

Corey Davis - Titans

Mitch Trubisky - Bears

Will Elliott face a suspension?

Can Brady (age 40 tomorrow - Happy Birthday!) and the Pats go back to back?

Or, will the Raiders unseat the Pats in the AFC?

The Falcons made some defensive additions (including the versatile NT/QB Dontari Poe) and look ready for another Super Bowl run.

Can the Cowboys equal the success they had last season?

Can the Packers, after losing about 45 players to free agency, fill enough roster spots so Aaron Rodgers doesn't have to play free safety, too?

How many players will the Ravens lose for the season by mid-August (7 so far... :vava: )?

The Browns added a lot of talented, young players... but, they're stil the Browns. They came close last year, but can they equal the perfect futility of the 2008 Detroit Lions?

Lots of players, lots of stories to discuss... Kick off in 36 days! HERE WE GO!

• Replies 941
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baring injury Patriots win again.

ATL does not win the NFC South

GB has another heartbreaking loss in the playoffs in a shootout giving up 40+ points on D for the umpteenth time. They will refuse to do anything about it in the draft or free agency again.

SF win 4 games this year instead of two, the D makes big strides over 2016.

Sea will lose some games they have no business losing and win some they had no business winning. Russell Wilson will continue to be incredibly mediocre for most of the game then make a couple chuck and prays then be heralded by NFL media types over how great he is.

Dallas has the entire offensive line arrested in a drunken bar brawl straight out of the movie the replacements. J/K they lose in the playoffs round 2 again

NYG Eli has a bounce back year

Redskins LOL

AZ Carson Palmer continues to regress their window is closed. Fitz hangs it up, they continue to slide down the NFC West until they find their next 36 year old QB retread that gives them 1-2 surprising years.

Raiders win the AFC West

KC finishes 4th

Baltimore is waiting for a QB to accused of murder so they can sign him over Kaep.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I want one SB win while they're still the Oakland Raiders. I'd love it to be this year but there are too many unknowns regarding their defense... especially up the middle (DT's, LB's, and safeties). The offense should be pretty sick though. This is probably the best OL that Marshawn has ever ran behind in his career and even if he turns out to be too worn out to be effective, I like the Richard/Washington scatback combo with the rookie Elijah Wood being our thumper. Our passing attack should be even better with an actual pass-catching TE now (Cook from GB).

Zeke suspended for 6 games. official statement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000828560/article/nfl-statement-on-ezekiel-elliotts-sixgame-suspension

i'd expect 4 after appeal. as a cowboys fan, this sucks. there's a lot of gray area on this whole situation.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

My bears will suck again this year but I do believe things are looking up. They have some good young players coming up.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• 2 weeks later...

The Jets and 49ers will compete for the Browns usual spot. I'm not sure the Jets will ever score an offensive TD all year, but their defense is good enough to keep them in a few games so I think they'll get 2 wins. 49'ers probably get 4-5.

I think the Browns are going to shock some people this year. Granted 6 wins is a 600% improvement so that would qualify as shocking I'd think. If (huge if) they can stay healthy and get decent QB play, I think they could possibly flirt with a WC spot. This year. Heck, 8-8 could be in contention for the division this year. Cincinnati is not good, the Ravens average, and Pittsburgh has outperformed their abilities the past year or two. If any of their big 3 on offense go down, I think they're in trouble. Their defense is old and not formidable. They just signed one of the Browns cuts to a big contract in Haden. Haden had a decent couple years but he has really lost a step. You cannot lose a step at CB and still be effective. Of course with the way it usually works for the Browns, Haden will regain that step and be a first team all pro for the next 5 years.

I think we're looking at another Giants/Patriots Super Bowl. Can Eli get another one? At some point time will catch up to Brady. I'm shocked it hasn't already.

I've been more of a college fan than NFL my entire life. The NFL puts out almost too sterile of a product. I do like to follow college players that I liked in the NFL though so that means I'll watch any NFL game, since each game is packed with former college players. I also like to think that I could probably outdraft some teams, most notably the Browns. Until this year. Last year wasn't bad but taking Kessler where they did was a head scratcher, although he did perform adequately. They did it right by getting Garrett and taking a shot at Kizer in the second round. I'd have liked them to go after Tubisky as I think he'll be very good, but not at the expense of passing on Garrett. Garrett has a chance to be an all time great if he continues to work hard. I wanted them to take Wentz last year as I think he's going to be very good too. But the value was right with Kizer in the second round. He has a tremendous ceiling as he has a cannon arm, but he's going to take some time. He's a typical rookie starting QB though. Holds on to the ball too long, decision making is suspect, etc. I watched him several days at camp though and it's no wonder he's starting. Oswieler has an arm, but looked terrible. No touch, can't read a defense, just horrible. I'm not sure a second round pick (likely later second round too) is worth the 16 million or so it cost them. But if you've got the bank to spend and have to spend it anyways, why not? Kessler just doesn't have an NFL arm. At least in the AFCN. Kizers throws are rockets, Kessler just has no zip. He's topped out at decent back up level. Probably won't lose you a ton of games but isn't capable of making the throws for a quick game winning drive either.

My .02. I'm prepared for the TL;DR's coming. :)

Welcome to WRX Firestone CC Jack, and welcome to the fun NFL thread.

Liked your comments above.

touch

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

• 2 weeks later...

Glad the Giants figured out who Dallas dbs were last night. Can anyone start to blame Eli? He's not been very good in years. Basically lucked into winning both Super Bowls.

Dallas offense looked shaky to start. Dak missed on throws he made easily last year. But off to a better start this year being 1-0!

I want one SB win while they're still the Oakland Raiders. I'd love it to be this year but there are too many unknowns regarding their defense... especially up the middle (DT's, LB's, and safeties). The offense should be pretty sick though. This is probably the best OL that Marshawn has ever ran behind in his career and even if he turns out to be too worn out to be effective, I like the Richard/Washington scatback combo with the rookie Elijah Wood being our thumper. Our passing attack should be even better with an actual pass-catching TE now (Cook from GB).

Raiders will carry their weight in the division even if it is the forth toughest schedule.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Cowboys looked good on defense which was surprising but WTF ginger! got the ball 1st and goal on the 2yrd line and call up 3 pass plays with the best O-line and a top 3 RB in the league? retarded!

btw - RIP to my fantasy team with DJ going down and may be out for 12 weeks.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Trust me I was screaming at the tv run the ball. Dallas settles for too many field goals. 4th and 2 from the 15? Zeke and the line are gonna earn their money every time.

Cowboys looked good on defense which was surprising but WTF ginger! got the ball 1st and goal on the 2yrd line and call up 3 pass plays with the best O-line and a top 3 RB in the league? retarded!

btw - RIP to my fantasy team with DJ going down and may be out for 12 weeks.

The Bears need to look into finding a triple option quarterback to bring in. We are out of anyone that can catch the ball, so let's just run it.

Beth Mowens, Rex Ryan and Sergio Dipp (yes that is his name) are making me miss the days of Chris Berman and Trent Dilfer in the play by play booth. It's been an epic call. If they did golf for fifteen minutes, this forum would forgive anything Johnny Miller, Gary McCord or Jim Nantz ever did.

Denver did everything they could to throw that game away, between not scoring from the two, to Mccoy's playcalling turning into an absolute shell, to the turnovers, all in all a pretty ugly finish to a pretty solid performance.

Edit: I completely forgot getting sacked twice to turn a 35 yard fg into a 50+ yarder thats how much of a mess it was

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

My Bengals suck. Time to blow it up and start over. Sadly that won't happen until the Brown family sells the team. How/why did a football genius leave control of the family business to Fredo Corleone?

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

My Week 2 observations:

Mostly watched my Ravens. Running on 3rd and 5?! Ha - love it! Defense looks pretty stout, but Cle and Cincy were not great tests. Offense is looking to run the ball more (31 att), and all 3 backs looked pretty good (lol, where did Collins come from?), totalling 166 yds from scrimmage. Off to London next week vs Jags - hopefully 3-0 heading into week 4 vs Stillers.

The Chiefs are looking like a real threat to the Patriots. Their offense has improved, in no small part to K. Hunt. The defense caused 3 turnovers and got 6 sacks, but also gave up 400 total yards. How good the D is remains to be seen, because NE and Philly are both legit offenses (27,20 PA may be as good as it gets vs those teams).

The other AFC contender, like last year, is Oakland. They have what could be the toughest schedule in the NFL (obviously very similar for all AFC West teams). Out of division/conference games are against AFC East and NFC East. Only weak teams are Jets and Bills (maybe Giants).

Surprised by Denver blowing out Dallas. Is Trevor Simien turning into a playoff quarterback? Denver D kept Elliot under 10 yds rushing!

There were some awful games this week. I don't mind low scoring games, but Hou-Cincy, Car-Buff, Sea-SF, AZ-Indy were not good performances. Indy, at least, has the excuse of starting their 3rd string QB. Speaking of back-ups, where is Teddy Bridgewater? I thought Bradford was a one year fill in for the Vikes.

Despite losing yesterday, the Rams and Goff look like they have improved. 66 pts ranks best in NFC so far (w/Detroit playing tonight). AFC West is pretty weak this year... who knows.

Yeah, 2 games is not nearly enough to use as a barometer for the rest of the season, but the teams that haven't shown any signs of life - SF, Cincy, Cle, NYJ, Indy, NYG? - I don't give them much chance of sniffing an 8-8 record.

Denver, actually good. Worried about how much time Bolles is going to miss as he's looked good on the oline, and all that really matters nowadays is whether or not you can block. Give a qb enough time and with the rules how they are someone will be open. Trev's looked pretty solid and has been really good when he's had a clean pocket, still seems to hold it a little too long, especially on downs when it has to come out quick. I've never seen a guy get sacked more on 3rd and 8 from the opponents 27. The Denver d has dominated 7 quarters and only really had issues against the Chargers when their offence couldn't hold onto the ball.

Ravens D is elite too, Yanda loss is huge though, losing the best guard in the league is a year killer.

It's early but the AFC west is clearly the cream of the crop though not nearly sold on any of the teams. Denver still has oline and qb questions, Oakland is due for some kind of regression, I think their Pythagorean win total last year was 7.4 but they won 12 games. KC still has Alex Smith and Andy Reid which I feel limits their ceiling, also Berry's injury hurts them. Oh and don't forget SD who will do just enough to lose in heartbreaking fashion week in and week out

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62