2017 Callaway X Forged (2018 Spotted Pics)

Konklifer

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Callaway has my attention with these. I know many people are excited about the new UT but I personally hope they make the new X-Forged all the way down to a 2 iron. Probably not.

The debate between the 2007, 2009, and 2013 X-forged is always interesting. Thought they were all great but the '07 was my favorite. Amazed at the amount of product that Callaway is introducing. Hard to imagine they can keep up this pace.

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

Isnt it hard to find 2007 and 2009 X-Forged with conforming grooves? What is the requirement for conforming grooves in amateur tournament golf? Is is just USGA sanctioned events, or do you need them for all mens clubs, city and state championships, etc.? I know that it probably depends on the rules set forth for that specific tournament, but what is the general rule? I switched over to confirming grooves in irons and wedges years ago so I really have no idea.

Agree with others the 2007 X forged were better looking than either of these messes. Always thought the 13s were a terrible let down from the 07s

Probably the most truthful, factual, accurate comment the site will see today.

To each their own, the 13's are still one of my favorite iron sets.

Of course each to their own but there is no comparison between those and the 07. It's not even remotely debatable and what the poster said is 100% accurate. New isn't always better.

True newer is not always better, to me the 815 DBD was better than the 816 DBD and that wasn't close.

But the point is clearly debatable because it's an opinion. I prefer the 13 to the 07 and I am not alone in that. The fact that two people have differing opinions on a point that can not be proven by an agreed upon standard metric makes it debatable by definition.

I think what you and the OP mean is that the 07 is better FOR YOU and that is not debatable. I am sure that is true and I would not attempt to debate you on what club works best for you.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

When I first saw the pics from the alba story I wasn't very impressed. They looked like another pxg/p790 hollow construction iron but after seeing the other pics on here where you can see the cavity better, I am very impressed. I really like the look of these. I've been looking for a replacement to my 2014 apex pro's for awhile now. Hope these get released in the states.

Callaway Ai Smoke Max 9* with a Graphite Design ADIZ 60S
Srixon ZX MkII 3W & 5W with Ventus Red TR 6 VeloCore 
Srixon ZX MkII 3H & 4H with ADDI 75S
Srixon ZX5 5-PW w/ steelfiber i95S
Vokey SM7 52S, 56M, 60K jet black finish.
Toulon Las Vegas

I had a chance to see these a little while back and I thought they looked pretty good. Nice to see a return to cleaner product (Apex MB included which I've hit and they look and feel really great)!

As for the X-Forged...I have recently gamed the 2013 and liked them. Very clean, solid, thinner top-line and minimal offset. However, to me, I prefer the 2007 model...longer from heel to toe, good top line and minimal to moderate offset (my favorite Callaway club). But after the past few years of Callaway releases, I was excited to see the new X-Forged. But this is different than the 2013 (I have only held the 8 iron so my opinion is based off this club).

Compared to the 2013, this version seems slightly longer from heel to toe (not as long as the 2007 or 2009), taller from leading edge to top-line (all the way from heel to toe they are taller), slightly thicker top-line (not much thicker), and definitely more offset. Like a previous post mentioned, I too never got along with the Apex Pro's (2016) due to the curved leading edge on them. These looked better. But I would say these are slightly bigger than the Apex Pro's. I had a set of TM P-770's and I think the X-Forged may be bigger and more offset. After seeing the TM P-790's this past week, the X-Forged may be even slightly larger.

I'm trying to think of a good comparison and the best thing that comes to mind is a cross between the Apex Pro 16 and the Apex CF 16. Or maybe a pure forged version of the Epic Pro. Or....it's a mix of the 2007/09 and 2013! :-)

Definitely looked good but those that loved the 2013 maybe be more pleased with the new Apex MB. Or a blended set of X-Forged and MB's. But again...I loved the clean, modern, pure look.

If they would remake the 2007 X Forged I would switch back to all Callaway instantly.

The 2007 just looked so good.

I'm sending my 2007's to the iron factory this winter and get them redone.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Isnt it hard to find 2007 and 2009 X-Forged with conforming grooves? What is the requirement for conforming grooves in amateur tournament golf? Is is just USGA sanctioned events, or do you need them for all mens clubs, city and state championships, etc.? I know that it probably depends on the rules set forth for that specific tournament, but what is the general rule? I switched over to confirming grooves in irons and wedges years ago so I really have no idea.

Yes the 2007 are hard to find conforming but they do exist.

Agree with others the 2007 X forged were better looking than either of these messes. Always thought the 13s were a terrible let down from the 07s

Probably the most truthful, factual, accurate comment the site will see today.

To each their own, the 13's are still one of my favorite iron sets.

Of course each to their own but there is no comparison between those and the 07. It's not even remotely debatable and what the poster said is 100% accurate. New isn't always better.

True newer is not always better, to me the 815 DBD was better than the 816 DBD and that wasn't close.

But the point is clearly debatable because it's an opinion. I prefer the 13 to the 07 and I am not alone in that. The fact that two people have differing opinions on a point that can not be proven by an agreed upon standard metric makes it debatable by definition.

I think what you and the OP mean is that the 07 is better FOR YOU and that is not debatable. I am sure that is true and I would not attempt to debate you on what club works best for you.

You seen there is hope you will come to your senses. The 815 DBD is superior and you realized that. The 816 was simply marketing as we're the 09 and 13. No performance improvement and just more "bling" to sucker people in. The same can be said of any MB they release when compared to the RAZR and protos. I can only guess you didn't hit the 07 and their Endo goodness.

By the way I'm busting your balls but the 2013 are butt ugly in comparison and as I said they offered no improvement over the prior models. 09 are the same. Back when they were released I had several people with 09 look at my 07 and ask why they couldn't get those. They only complaint I have ever heard was that they would dig for some people which was "fixed" in 09 but I never had that issue. I'm thinking of breaking mine out this winter and reshafting them along with my new Tommy Armour blades and throwing them in the bag once in a while.

If they would remake the 2007 X Forged I would switch back to all Callaway instantly.

Post a pic when they come back. Mine are in great condition but if I picked up a conforming set and survived the divorce I would probably get them refinished

Post a pic when they come back. Mine are in great condition but if I picked up a conforming set and survived the divorce I would probably get them refinished

Will do.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

One thing I'm slightly confused about as a Cally fan about this release as it pertains to the blended set. I can't wait to get my hands on the 8-PW in the new Apex MB when it's released but I will need something in the 5,6,7 different. I'm not going to mix Apex and X Forged just because I'm anal so I suppose I'll wait on the new Apex and see if those mix well or my current Apex.

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago

'07, '09, and Prototype blades are all hard to find in conforming V grooves. I have a set of '07 conforming available if anyone is interested PM me. The only problem is they don't have the back X-Forged badge on them.

Iron Factory does good work on these. I've had two different sets of '07 done and my Prototype blades done twice.

Any word on the stock shaft for this '17 version?

2023 WITB
Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5* - MMT 70x
3 Wood: Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Kai'li White 80x

Utility: Callaway X-Forged UT 21*
4-PW: Callaway Apex MBs - Project X 6.0
52* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw S Grind
58* Wedge: Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe
Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5k Double Wide DB

'07, '09, and Prototype blades are all hard to find in conforming V grooves. I have a set of '07 conforming available if anyone is interested PM me. The only problem is they don't have the back X-Forged badge on them.

Iron Factory does good work on these. I've had two different sets of '07 done and my Prototype blades done twice.

Any word on the stock shaft for this '17 version?

Project X

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

These are unreal. Between these, Mizuno's and the Titleist 718's, this might be one of the best OEM spreads in a while. :)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

They look good but prefer the 2013 models. Of course if the newer irons perform better, that's a different deal!

Callaway Epic Speed 9.0* Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Epic 15* Hazurdus 65
Callaway Epic 18* Hazurdus 65
Takomo 101t 4-pw Steelfiber fc90cw 
Bridgestone J15 56* Project x PXI 5.0
Scotty Cameron Squareback 34"

One thing I'm slightly confused about as a Cally fan about this release as it pertains to the blended set. I can't wait to get my hands on the 8-PW in the new Apex MB when it's released but I will need something in the 5,6,7 different. I'm not going to mix Apex and X Forged just because I'm anal so I suppose I'll wait on the new Apex and see if those mix well or my current Apex.

I have a blended set of the new 2018 MBs (pw-7) and the 2013 X forged and they transition perfectly. These look longer from heel to toe than the 2013s so I don't know how well they will blend. The new MBs are definitely compact and more squared off than the existing Apex Pros.

I was just lucky to get my hands on the new MBs and brand new 2013 X Forgeds in the long irons so I am good for a couple season (this is my favorite iron setup i have ever had).

Wow! Very excited about these, was about the '13s but never got them instead staying with my old TM X300FCI until a few years ago I got the Srixxys (and I love'em). But love the look of these Cally's and may just have to go to japan and get a set. I just hope they perform as good as they look?!

I'm sorry but was there an exact release date?

thx in adv.

Current "Bag of Tricks"

Driver:  Callaway Maverik 10.5 "Tour Issue" Single Diamond w/Graphite Designs AD-VR5 S 

3W:  Taylormade M1 3HL w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 6 S

Utility:  Taylormade GAPR 3 Low w/Graphite Designs AD-DI 95 S tipped 1"  

Irons:  Miura CB-301 4-PW, SHIMADA S-Shafts, ELITE grips

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey  SM6 F 52/12,      SM7 F 56/14,       SM6 M 60/08 Copper Lmt. Ed.

Putter:  Scotty Tei-22 Fastback 1.5   34"  

Ball:  Titleist Pro V 1X  

Yeah, I just bought a '13 x-forged "debadged" PW off the bay, from overseas, for sh!ts and giggles as I ponder my next set. These have my attention and look very similar to TM's JDM TP R7 Forged I gamed several years ago. Looking forward to a test drive and potential purchase. Below is the cavity pic of the TM JDM TP R7 Forged I mentioned.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

I have a blended set of the new 2018 MBs (pw-7) and the 2013 X forged and they transition perfectly. These look longer from heel to toe than the 2013s so I don't know how well they will blend. The new MBs are definitely compact and more squared off than the existing Apex Pros.

I was just lucky to get my hands on the new MBs and brand new 2013 X Forgeds in the long irons so I am good for a couple season (this is my favorite iron setup i have ever had).

You were the one I was hoping would show up and answer my question but you skirted it! lol. So are these what are being show to US accounts as the new forged cb?

Still like the 07 forged as their best iron ever. They sure are bringing tons of new product out. You hope they don't have a dud in the mix as that could be a financial opps sinking this much money in R&D and new product. Obviously the huge success of the Epic woods this year will be hard to duplicate and probably is funding a lot of this new product. Only as good as your last new product I guess..

To anyone who has held one of these in their hands......

Is the finish like the original Apex Pros or like the CF16 line?

The original Apex Pros looked rough after a few rounds.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

X-Forged UT!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track