Who are the best online golf instructors?

kippjr23

Plenty of good suggestions above and you can get a taste of each on YouTube, Twitter, Instagram and alike. Go with the style of swing, teaching method or vibe you are drawn to most.

I went with Dan Carraher in line with the reasons set out above. I'd recommend him for sure. His knowledge and explanations are far beyond what I've received in countless face to face lessons over the years from regular club pro's.

I've still got plenty of work to do to end up where I want to be, but Dan has me trending in the right direction. Very happy with the progress.

Good luck.

ive also had an excellent experience with dan carraher.

I have learnt something valuable from pretty much every name mentioned in this thread. As others have suggested, I think the most important thing is a compatible combination of teaching and learning styles. I have had online lessons with both Dan Whittaker and Monte. I was able to make Monte's changes stick but not Dan's. That doesn't mean Dan isn't as good. In fact I think he is very good. It just so happened that the way Monte says things is the way I needed to hear it. No one can tell you which teacher will work best for you but online lessons and are a relatively affordable way of finding out for yourself.

There's guys on here that support this forum and are awful good. Pick one that suits what you want , but monte , iteach are all you need sorry if I left another teacher out.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Good topic.

Question is do you really want to even go the route of online instruction? Ready to record your swing every time? Analyze the swing yourself, send it, wait for it, then try to incorporate what has been sent to you on the range. Hope that the next video you've recorded is adequate and accomplishes the goal?

I applaud online instructors. I can't imagine the patience required and the hope they have that their student understands the point they are getting across.

The list of online instructors I have had are significant. The problem was I wasn't a good online student. I was so reluctant, but I had to get physical lessons. I needed that immediate feedback, that immediate "feel" to confirm that I'm doing the right, or wrong, thing. Since working with a physical instructor last year, I managed to drop my handicap from a 15.2 to an 11.7 in four months. I no longer go to the range for hours, and no longer bring my tripod or swingshot to record my swing. The results are enough and is exactly what I needed to be happy with my game. Can't wait for this weather to warm up so I can continue the goal into the single digits.

Will give another recommendation for Dan (iteach). I think most would prefer in person vs. online instruction, however most of us don't have in person access to the same level of instruction you'll get through someone like Dan. The instructors I saw in person, while nice guys and well intended simply never came close to diagnosing my actual faults. Dan does a fantastic job of giving you 1 (maybe 2 at most) thing to work on per lesson and explaining all the downstream impacts that 1 fault causes. He's also very open/incredibly responsive to questions post lesson which is awesome.

Hardest part for me with the online lessons was sticking with changes throughout the bad results, in person the instructor is there for reassurance and encouragement (although in my case I was being encouraged to do things that weren't really getting to the heart of my issues). This thread may have encouraged me to send off another video now though to check in with where my swing is!

Had been just playing and not practicing much lately, but really enjoyed the couple of lessons I did with Dan.

People have brought up a decent point regarding that instant feedback you get from a face to face lesson and having someone right there to reassure what your doing is correct. I do wish I had that but for me I think the overall direction I’m heading with a more knowledgeable coach outways the alternative of a lesser coach. It is frustrating not being in person but maybe working it out yourself (with the video analysis and drills) in the long run will see a better result? I’m hoping it is.

People have brought up a decent point regarding that instant feedback you get from a face to face lesson and having someone right there to reassure what your doing is correct. I do wish I had that but for me I think the overall direction I'm heading with a more knowledgeable coach outways the alternative of a lesser coach. It is frustrating not being in person but maybe working it out yourself (with the video analysis and drills) in the long run will see a better result? I'm hoping it is.

I dont know if better result is the right word for it, but I do think a very underrated aspect of online instruction is it forces you to learn your own feels for the new move which I think is the key to actually making a change. The same piece of instruction for you and I would likely feel entirely different to the both of us even though we would be doing the exact same thing.

I still think in person with a high quality instructor is the absolute best route you can go, but online with a great instructor (assuming you have some knowledge and awareness of what you're doing in the swing) definitely outweighs in person with a lesser instructor. Requires a bit more work on the part of the student and granted you put in that time, I think the student will get very good results.

• 2 months later...

Some I have not seen mentioned here, in no particular order:Dana Dahlquist https://danadahlquistgolf.com/Tyler Ferrell https://golfsmartacademy.com/Evolvr http://evolvr.thegolfevolution.com/Shauheen Nakhjavani https://twitter.com/shkeengolfI think the choice, compared to say 10, even 5 years ago, is better. You can try different pros to see which one best matches up with you. There's more I didn't mention but if you follow these guys on social media, you'll find other good pros in their follows and comments.

I'm pretty sure Eric Cogorno does online lessons, I saw a promotion on his feed.

• 2 years later...

Just a reboot on this but with additional requirements :)

in my 60’s and have had a couple of knee replacements.

I want to return to golf, and both enjoy the game and improve.

who would offer, online, the best style of swing and instruction, that reduces the stress on knees, in particular lead knee, during the swing?

I'll give another nod to Cogorno... He does a good job of explaining the "why" in very simple ways.

Callaway Paradym TD 9* - MCA D+ LTD 70TX

Taylormade Sim 15* - MRC Kai'li Blue 70TX

Titleist U505 1-Iron - MRC Tensei Blue 75X

Callaway Apex MB (8-PW) XForged (4-7) - MCA MMT 105TX

Vokey Wedges - 52/56 - DG AMT S300

EVNROLL Midlock ER2V

Everyone wants something different from instruction. Some want to improve their action from the ground up and others want quick fixes to ailments in ball flight. People also learn very differently. Some need hands to move them around into different positions and others are diligent in recording their swings for self analysis. I'd try any of the the guys mentioned and see if it's a good fit for you. You will probably need to try several instructors. Personally, I can't stand some of the teaching styles of the guys mentioned and love others but I can't deny the effectiveness of any of them for certain golfers.

I'm not currently being taught through Skillest, I've used similar apps though and they are great for consolidating everything into one place. I did buy Shauheen Nakhjavani's video series on Skillest though and found that there's no other way to play it on the big screen other than via Airplay, but that's a tech issue.

Oh yeah, another pro I'd recommend is Shauheen Nakhjavani.

I know this is a sidebar but does anybody ever feel that there is too much info on Youtube that forces you to have a million swing thoughts? The problem for me is that I just need one thing I can work on and then move on to the next. I think a combination of both online and in-person can accomplish that goal.

Well yeah, that's exactly why you pick one instructor you trust and go step by step with them. Of course, there are always some good drills you can pull that still get across the same concept - for example, get right hip back more in backswing and you can stand close to a wall but not touching and try to reach wall with right cheek - but, in general, that's why you don't just randomly pick stuff off youtube.

Personally, I never look to solve my own problems through YouTube. I simply don't have the skills to diagnose my own faults, and I think that 99% of golfers are in the same boat. And if you don't get the diagnosis right, how can you expect to get the solution right? So you think you extend early (for example), you go to YouTube and find 238 different video tips on how to stop early extension. Of course, there are dozens of possible reasons you extend early, its a symptom and not a cause, but you pick a solution that attacks a specific cause that doesn't apply to you. Obviously that solution won't help you, so you try the next video tip, and the next. You're sucked into the Youtube golf instruction whirlpool!

I've seen personalized online instruction be effective for players, but it needs to be someone specifically evaluating your swing through video. Analyze the swing, define what needs to change first, provide drills and feels to help the player to make the change, and then give feedback on subsequent videos of the player to make sure the change is happening. As I understand it, this is the general process used by a couple of instructors active in this forum, and is the process used by another instructor who has his own website.

The thing about Skillest is it makes it easy to send videos between lessons and make sure you're on the right track. Like say you take a lesson and then send a video once or twice a week and pro will give you a couple of sentences until next full lesson. I think this is the way to go, maybe the way of the future. More mini checkups along the way so you don't veer off track.

• 1 month later...

I've been taking in-person lessons but not making progress as quickly as I'd hoped (been taking lessons with the same teacher since this past off-season) and don't have very many other options here in-person (small town). Do you think it would be a bad idea to do an online lesson with one of the teachers mentioned here almost as a 2nd opinion to see if he sees something that the local guy doesn't? I'm not sure that I want to totally switch to online but feel like I'm really stuck right now and not making much progress swing-wise.