Does anybody miss the old Be Better Golf Youtube Show?

Bre9327

Just listened to an interview of his from last summer on someone else's podcast and it sounds like well over a year and a half ago or so he had been contacted by the USGA, which makes one wonder if someone raised a complaint about him playing as an am in an event (and I'm assuming if he'd not played decently nobody would have complained so that is too bad) about making money from his channel and it's instructional focus. He seemed fine with it and said it just meant he couldn't play as an am in a tournament and he's trying to get good enough to maybe have good showings in some mini-mini tour events. Good for him.

This idea that the USGA did something that drove him into having to make money or charging, etc. is silly, he is doing that precisely to make money and he should try to do so. His channel was peanuts for subscribers and revenue, so may as well capitalize in other ways. And if he had really good arguments about why he shouldn't have lost his status, he could have argued that with the USGA and he didn't give the impression there was really much of a discussion at all or that it was that big of a deal.

Always comes off as a super nice guy and a lot like lots of other golfers (just don't think he's an instructor, as he holds himself out to be, but he may have students that feel he is making a difference).

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem is that he seems like he’s waiting to interject his thoughts into the conversation instead of listening to what the instructors are often saying. He’s interrupted a number of fine trains of thought by an instructor that I would have liked to see finished to offer some sidebar that isn’t particularly illuminating.

Other than that he seems like a nice guy and a golf nut who’s found a niche.

My biggest problem is that he seems like he’s waiting to interject his thoughts into the conversation instead of listening to what the instructors are often saying. He’s interrupted a number of fine trains of thought by an instructor that I would have liked to see finished to offer some sidebar that isn’t particularly illuminating.

Other than that he seems like a nice guy and a golf nut who’s found a niche.

Exactly! People here keep saying he got confused by conflicting ideas in his swing, yet every time he went to an instructor, he seemingly ether didn’t look at them while they were talking, or cut them off to add his point. No wonder his swing hasn’t changed; he never really listened! He should have stuck with Monte once he changed Brendon’s crappy impact in one lesson.

It would be nice if Brendon came back to the forums to add his opinion on the concerns in this topic. Seems he only joined to promote his videos (which is fine I suppose). Bugs me that he charges people to “evaluate” their swings. He should be referring them to the wonderful instructors who were generous with their time and gave Brendon’s channel attention and credibility. Hopefully they are getting a piece of that YouTube revenue.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I think my original post about his AM status being taken away come off differently than I intended lol.

I agree it's his channel and he chooses what content goes on, and being an amateur or "pro" has no bearing over it. He would've done whatever he wanted anyways, but I think he would've also went the direction he's going in now whether he had am status or not, but having the USGA do what they did, made him move towards lessons, and instruction quicker than he planned. Obviously youtube subscribers don't create that much revenue so be better golf would've moved towards creating more money regardless. And I cannot fault him for that, he puts a ton of time and effort into this channel.

I for one though, cannot get behind this reactionary golf philosophy. It just doesn't work for me, and having Tony go on and on about his bio-mechanical studies is just mind numbing. To each their own though, I'm sure this method works for lots of golfers.

And the Malaska move.....my god, I wouldn't teach that to my worst enemy.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3

It's still a great channel and he hasn't veered off what he started doing. He's still introducing new instructors, which is great because there isn't one instructor out there for everyone. I hope he gets some putting guru on soon as well as keeping to the format of introducing relatively unknown instructors across the country.

Someone mentioned Golfholics, but it's really hard to watch that channel because of how bad Marko plays. He makes Christo Garcia and Brendon look like excellent players. It would be more watchable if they cut down on the number of times they show Marko's swing compared to Mike's.

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash

He seems like a super nice dude and I woud probably have a great time playing with the guy... especially at Skylinks, which is a course I always have liked but I find the newer content really difficult to watch. I discovered the channel earlier in the year and enjoyed a lot of the older vlogs and monte vids but the newer stuff mostly feels like watching an infomercial.

I've been watching his channel for the past year or two. I think his exact moment "Jump the Shark" moment was when he said that the Costco golf ball was the biggest story in golf equipment since he started playing golf. I remember it was that precise moment when I thought wow, either Brendon is very naive for actually believing that, or he's really just making exaggerated statements to try to get more views and promote his channel. Now I kind of view him as a golf huckster of sorts. It seems like in every video he puts out now he promotes some "secret" master move that will totally change your golf game. Sadly, it seems like Meandmygolf is trending that way also. Just look at the titles of their latest videos and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately though, those types of outlandish video titles seem to get the most views, because apparently there are more golf suckers looking for a "magic move" to fix their swing than there are golfers who understand what getting better at golf is really about.

I've been watching his channel for the past year or two. I think his exact moment "Jump the Shark" moment was when he said that the Costco golf ball was the biggest story in golf equipment since he started playing golf. I remember it was that precise moment when I thought wow, either Brendon is very naive for actually believing that, or he's really just making exaggerated statements to try to get more views and promote his channel. Now I kind of view him as a golf huckster of sorts. It seems like in every video he puts out now he promotes some "secret" master move that will totally change your golf game. Sadly, it seems like Meandmygolf is trending that way also. Just look at the titles of their latest videos and you'll know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately though, those types of outlandish video titles seem to get the most views, because apparently there are more golf suckers looking for a "magic move" to fix their swing than there are golfers who understand what getting better at golf is really about.

so what do you think was the biggest story in golf equipment over the past decade?

The costco ball story was picked up by news outlets outside of golf.

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Guys, he has been in it for the money since day one. I thought this was common knowledge, but he has always charged people to be in his vlogs. There are several members whose have had bad experiences with him from the beginning. And as far as him being an instructor.... if that’s what people want to spend their money on, I don’t really care. But I wouldn’t hire him

I starting following Brendon's channel because of his lessons with Monte. I had watched Monte's YouTube videos and found BBG because of Monte. It gave me insight into Monte's teachings and was really interesting to watch someone's journey to be a better golfer. The first videos and live shows were terrific (though Brendon could be distracting at times as some others have noted) and I still watch them to pick up things that I may have missed with Monte. Then BBG went from Monte to Dana to Bobby Lopez to Tony Luczak to Mike Malaska to GG to Tatahata to... which I can understand in a quest to play better. He lost me when he started to sell his videos. To me it then went from a journey to be better to something else. So yes I do miss the early videos.

Guys, he has been in it for the money since day one. I thought this was common knowledge, but he has always charged people to be in his vlogs. There are several members whose have had bad experiences with him from the beginning. And as far as him being an instructor.... if that's what people want to spend their money on, I don't really care. But I wouldn't hire him

Yup. I struggled to enjoy the channel back in the old days due to a couple factors: 1) his constant interruptions/interjections over what good instructors were saying, and 2) his inability to stick to anything long-term that would actually improve his swing. However, when I found out about him trying to charge one of our more well-known members here just to play a casual round with him, I couldn't believe it. Haven't watched one of his videos since and wouldn't add to his views count ($$) if you paid ME! He's free to do his thing, but IMO he's a clown.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Guys, he has been in it for the money since day one. I thought this was common knowledge, but he has always charged people to be in his vlogs. There are several members whose have had bad experiences with him from the beginning. And as far as him being an instructor.... if that's what people want to spend their money on, I don't really care. But I wouldn't hire him

Yup. I struggled to enjoy the channel back in the old days due to a couple factors: 1) his constant interruptions/interjections over what good instructors were saying, and 2) his inability to stick to anything long-term that would actually improve his swing. However, when I found out about him trying to charge one of our more well-known members here just to play a casual round with him, I couldn't believe it. Haven't watched one of his videos since and wouldn't add to his views count ($$) if you paid ME! He's free to do his thing, but IMO he's a clown.

Wow that's the first I've heard that. That is ridiculous.

Wow that is bogus, pretty clear then this was 100% just a money making venture.

Brendon's a great content producer, but his game will not get better because he's insane, so until he fixes how he thinks it's not going to get any better. There are red flags in every other episode, but here are some recent ones.

He has this idea that he's athletic, which he's not, watch the Tathata episodes it's comical when you compare his build versus the Tathata dude, who looks like an athlete. Also in the latest Malaska video he talks about how a guy he's seen has a football player build because he has a huge upper body, if you actually know anything about football, real players have huge thighs, glutes, and mid sections from squats, cleans, and snatches, they do for power to tackle and take on blocks.

He's got the same issues that he had when he's started, which tells you he's not coach-able. He must have been at the end of the bench in his little league days.

The content is great, i look forward to being introduced to new instructors. Maybe he can do a collaboration with Golholics where he and Marko take lessons together and see who gets good first.

With all the time and effort spent to "Be Better" has he really improved all that much? I asked him on Instagram how much he has improved since starting- told me has gone from 3.8hcp to 1.6hcp fwiw

He plays easy courses, not like he has Torrey Pines as his muni

Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT

Wow, didn’t know that. I like the early stuff justed because I liked the instructors, Monte, Dana, and GG

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

With all the time and effort spent to "Be Better" has he really improved all that much? I asked him on Instagram how much he has improved since starting- told me has gone from 3.8hcp to 1.6hcp fwiw

If he’s a 1.6, I’m 2000 Tiger Woods.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

I loved the early stuff with Monte and the local college kids. Also the Bobby Lopez stuff. He posted some Instagram stuff recently talking about intermittent fasting as a diet regimen. For him at 175 soaking wet, thats a joke.

He interviews Gandhi maybe I'll watch.

An interview with Gandhi would’ve been something special. It’s amazing to think how many miles and miles he walked, barefoot even, and they say he went on so many hunger strikes, his breath smelled of death. He truly was a super calloused fragile mystic cursed with halitosis.

I had a bad experience with him too and haven't watched since then. I always thought his channel should be called "Be Worse Golf".

care to share?

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement