2018 Srixon Irons

tomastomatohead

Hit the 585s & 785s and loved them both. Sat them next to the 65 series and to my eye, the 85s are much more appealing: less rounded profile and better offset transition. The 85s also blend so easily for a mixed set. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference at address. Because of this, I felt very confident hitting the 785s after the 585s. I could see myself with 585 5-6 irons and 785 7-AW.

Now, if I can get my hands on the Japan only 785 SW...

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I've now played my 785s for a couple of weeks after having the 745s originally and then the 765s for the past 2 years. Maybe I'm weird, but to me they are definitely more compact than the 765s and feel a LOT better on well struck hits. The forgiveness and distance seem to be about the same, but the feel is just so much better. Overall, not a huge leap or change, but just an overall better looking and feeling iron in my opinion.

Totally agree. Shorter blade length than the 65 series and just looks more appealing overall. Still waiting on my custom set

I'd echo both of these sentiments. I was a little concerned they wouldn't be as forgiving as the 765's given they are more compact looking, but found them to have similar forgiveness and turf interaction as the 765's. They felt a bit softer at impact than the 765 as well. I think there is some concern that they moved the 785 too close to the 9 series, but acknowledging the small sample size, so far i have found them to be just as forgiving while looking and feeling better. From the looks standpoint I played AP2's and Mizuno MP irons for a lot of years so the 765's were always a bit longer heel to toe than i was used to, especially in the short irons.

I'm not sure I would recommend upgrading if you have a clean set of 765's given that they are pretty similar, but if you like a bit more compact look at address and less rounded edges, I could see justifying springing for the 785's. I'm not going to sell my 765's just yet, but am pleased with my purchase.

Epic Speed Ventus Blue
Epic Fairways Kai'li

818 h1 CK Pro White
ZX7 4-pw Modus 120
Vokey 50F 56DS, 60D Modus 120
Odyssey 10
Bridgestone B XS

hard to upgrade over my current 765, anyone else considering that

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

hard to upgrade over my current 765, anyone else considering that

I upgraded over mine.

IG Handle: @tarheelnation3

What's in the bag:

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond w/ Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6s

Fairway Wood: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 3 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Taylormade Stealth+ 5 wood w/ Ventus Velocore Red 7s

Hybrid/Utility Wood: Tour Issued Callaway Paradym 7 wood w/ Speeder 757 Evolution VII

Irons: Taylormade P790 Copper w/ Nippon Modus 120 Shafts

Wedges: Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore Raw 50/55/60 w/ Nippon Modus 120

Putters: Scotty Cameron 009 Aloha (and many others)

I picked up a set of Z765 new on closeout 4-PW with Modus 3Tour 120 for $ 550 bucks... The Z785 Look great but I'm cool with my choice even though

they will have limited play based on my current irons......That are perfect for me.

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

I want to get a combo set of the two but the PW is 44 degrees and I’m not sure about that, I guess I could go 50,54,58 on wedges and bend then one degree strong...not sure if I should go dynamic gold x100 or project x 7.0s

I want to get a combo set of the two but the PW is 44 degrees and I’m not sure about that. Seems super strong lofted compared to my current 47 degree pw...I guess I could go 50,54,58 on wedges and bend then one degree strong...not sure if I should go dynamic gold x100 or project x 7.0s

I want to get a combo set of the two but the PW is 44 degrees and I’m not sure about that, I guess I could go 50,54,58 on wedges and bend then one degree strong...not sure if I should go dynamic gold x100 or project x 7.0s

I want to get a combo set of the two but the PW is 44 degrees and I’m not sure about that. Seems super strong lofted compared to my current 47 degree pw...I guess I could go 50,54,58 on wedges and bend then one degree strong...not sure if I should go dynamic gold x100 or project x 7.0s

I did this. I have PX LZ 6.0s in mind.

I have a little bit more of a gap between my PW and 50 than I am used to. But, for the most part, it has been fine.

Bought a set on the BST that was 4-7 565s and 8-PW 765s. I have been very pleased.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5 w/Evenflow Riptide CB X-Stiff 
Cobra F8+ 14.5* Rouge Silver X-Stiff

Cobra F8+ 18* Rouge Silver X-Stiff
Srxion 4-6 ZX5 irons, ZX7 7-PW irons w/PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50, 54, 58 x/PX LZ 6.0
Sik Flo or Sik DW or Edel or SGC Norwood 

Here are some pics. They are going for a spin on Torrey North in the morning! Will report back

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Those look absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to pull the trigger tonight on either the 785s or the new mizuno tours. Anyone else narrow their decision down to these 2 models?

JB

Having the exact same debate. Going in to club champion to get fitted this weekend or else I'll just keep guessing!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Those look absolutely gorgeous! I'm going to pull the trigger tonight on either the 785s or the new mizuno tours. Anyone else narrow their decision down to these 2 models?

JB

Having the exact same debate. Going in to club champion to get fitted this weekend or else I'll just keep guessing!

I hit them both over the weekend and they both felt great. My initial thought was that the srixon was a little longer and a little more forgiving. I'll be working with my fitter and looking at launch monitor data tonight before making the call.

Alright so all done with my first round with my combo set Srixon 585/785 with DG 105 S300

Huge Success right out of the gates with this combo for me! My former gamers are Adams CMB with Modus 105 Stiff

These irons are a completely different trajectory for me. High towering shots that just carry! To be honest I have never had such a confident iron striking day. I am so glad I did 585 4-7 irons I feel so confident with them. I hit a bunch greens with one less club than usual but since they have a higher trajectory I had no issue holding the greens.

Feel is amazing, slightly better on the 785's and overall still forgiving. I hit a few chunky today and I think the V sole did an excellent job saving some shots and getting me still a powerful shot. As far as looks go they look great in the bag!!

More testing this weekend but so far I am a very happy man! Oh and I shot my low at Torrey North due to my iron striking (its never the reason! lol) 73!! :taunt:

I ordered the U85 3-5 and 785 6-PW. Cant wait to get them and play TP myself. Nice round mtex.

Thanks!! I think I need to try those U85's as well! :superman2:

Alright so all done with my first round with my combo set Srixon 585/785 with DG 105 S300

Huge Success right out of the gates with this combo for me! My former gamers are Adams CMB with Modus 105 Stiff

These irons are a completely different trajectory for me. High towering shots that just carry! To be honest I have never had such a confident iron striking day. I am so glad I did 585 4-7 irons I feel so confident with them. I hit a bunch greens with one less club than usual but since they have a higher trajectory I had no issue holding the greens.

Feel is amazing, slightly better on the 785's and overall still forgiving. I hit a few chunky today and I think the V sole did an excellent job saving some shots and getting me still a powerful shot. As far as looks go they look great in the bag!!

More testing this weekend but so far I am a very happy man! Oh and I shot my low at Torrey North due to my iron striking (its never the reason! lol) 73!! :taunt:

Nice review. I will be ordering these and have demoed the U's, 5's and 7's. Most likely going with a 4 hybrid and then don't know what set up to go with and or where to break it. Love, love the feel of the 7's and although they are forgiving for what they are, mishits with the 5's definitely have more ball speed and forgiveness. U's are nice and to me feel better than the 5's, but man I launch them high, but distances are great, just don't know how difficult it will be if I need to hit a low one with them. Possibly thinking all 5's, but the 9 iron and wedge are to strong lofted, plus I don't really love the sound of them especially compared to the 7's. Decisions, decisions. Nice set and good luck with them

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Why not get the 785 AW?

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

I actually thought about buying the 785s and getting rid of the 745s.... I am not sure I can do it though... Great pics, Mtex, looks like a lot of fun. All that pretty new gear I'm sure makes it even more fun!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

Why not get the 785 AW?

I should have and may still. I was considering RTX4 as well for gap thru lob. I just love that CMB gap and Cobra PUR wedges

I actually thought about buying the 785s and getting rid of the 745s.... I am not sure I can do it though... Great pics, Mtex, looks like a lot of fun. All that pretty new gear I'm sure makes it even more fun!

I'm still waiting on the Z785 Driver with PO thinks its backordered. Might have all Srixon bag which is a first lol

It was really splitting hairs but I ended up ordering the 785s. The mizuno 919 tour is a fabulous club but I felt the 785 had equal feel but a little more forgiveness. Settled on the kbs c taper 130x shaft. That shaft seemed to work really well for me in either head.

JB

From what I know the 900 series Tour's are pretty much a blade. These are much more forgiving closer to the 900 series forged but with less blade length which I prefer. I have not hit the 919 Tour's though so not sure if they built more forgiveness in them?

It was really splitting hairs but I ended up ordering the 785s. The mizuno 919 tour is a fabulous club but I felt the 785 had equal feel but a little more forgiveness. Settled on the kbs c taper 130x shaft. That shaft seemed to work really well for me in either head.

JB

From what I know the 900 series Tour's are pretty much a blade. These are much more forgiving closer to the 900 series forged but with less blade length which I prefer. I have not hit the 919 Tour's though so not sure if they built more forgiveness in them?

I may not be the best one to judge forgiveness as I'm coming from old MP33 blades. To me everything in the world has more forgiveness. I hit the tour much better then I hit the forged for whatever reason. I fully expected the forged to be one of my finalists but after hitting it, I decided it wasn't for me. I think finding the right shaft is also important. Once I hit the c taper for the first time I loved it. I hit the p770,919 tour, and 785 all really really well with that shaft. If the p770 wasn't at the end of life I would have honestly put that as a 1b right behind the srixon. I guess I just couldn't bring myself to getting something knowing a new model was coming soon.

JB