Full Circle

DFS PFD

I have to admit - it had been awhile since we had a nice "blades versus CB" thread here. Subject hardly ever comes up and needs to be discussed more.

Sigh......

... Yup, it really boils down to this.

1. Everywhere else in the world people appreciate some forgiveness, even for better players including the PGA Tour, it might mean just a little in their mid to long irons. For most Ams it is players irons to full scale SGI irons. Everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. No other sport in the world recommends using equipment that makes the game more difficult. "I use a basketball that weights twice as much as a normal ball because it makes me focus on my form and I don't just throw up wild 3 pointers"... "I still use an older small headed wood tennis racket because it forces me to concentrate and not just make wild swings and my shooting percentage improved" ... "I found a baseball bat with a much smaller barrel helps me focus and not just swing for the fences and my average has increased"... "When I play golf and use a forgiving iron I make wild swings but a smaller headed MB helps me concentrate and I hit much better shots and score better".

2. At WRX it means playing irons that look good (at address and in the bag) and feel good in the eye of the beholder. No amount of posting has ever changed one members view and I have not read a single 10-20 index MB player say "I bought into the great iron striker but poor short game mantra but finally played some more forgiving players irons (or gawd forbid SG irons) and my shots were better as well as my scores". While many play 460cc drivers, a modern ball that spins and curves much less, forgiving fairway woods and hybrids or larger and more forgiving DI's, they absolutely insist MB's are better for their game. Trying to change anyone's opinion on this is the very definition of insanity.

Amen. I'm always astonished as to how many posters here make club selections AND RECOMMENDATIONS TO OTHERS based on what PGA Tour players are using. Are there really that many scratch/low handicappers here? Really?

Have you ever played a set of blades?

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit - it had been awhile since we had a nice "blades versus CB" thread here. Subject hardly ever comes up and needs to be discussed more.

Sigh......

1. Everywhere else in the world people appreciate some forgiveness, even for better players including the PGA Tour, it might mean just a little in their mid to long irons. For most Ams it is players irons to full scale SGI irons. Everyone should play the most forgiving irons they can effectively play. No other sport in the world recommends using equipment that makes the game more difficult. "I use a basketball that weights twice as much as a normal ball because it makes me focus on my form and I don't just throw up wild 3 pointers"... "I still use an older small headed wood tennis racket because it forces me to concentrate and not just make wild swings and my shooting percentage improved" ... "I found a baseball bat with a much smaller barrel helps me focus and not just swing for the fences and my average has increased"... "When I play golf and use a forgiving iron I make wild swings but a smaller headed MB helps me concentrate and I hit much better shots and score better".

2. At WRX it means playing irons that look good (at address and in the bag) and feel good in the eye of the beholder. No amount of posting has ever changed one members view and I have not read a single 10-20 index MB player say "I bought into the great iron striker but poor short game mantra but finally played some more forgiving players irons (or gawd forbid SG irons) and my shots were better as well as my scores". While many play 460cc drivers, a modern ball that spins and curves much less, forgiving fairway woods and hybrids or larger and more forgiving DI's, they absolutely insist MB's are better for their game. Trying to change anyone's opinion on this is the very definition of insanity.

Amen. I'm always astonished as to how many posters here make club selections AND RECOMMENDATIONS TO OTHERS based on what PGA Tour players are using. Are there really that many scratch/low handicappers here? Really?

Have you ever played a set of blades?

In 52 years of golf, I have played many sets of blades, yes. That's basically all there was in 1965.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

These days I dont think there is a lot you can do with an MB by way of technology. For example, I would guess that the Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototypes are just as relevant today as they were when they first came out.

Just don’t let anyone from NC near them :cop:

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

hodges_atx: My response about the troll was to DFS PFD with his attempt at a humorous link.

bladehunter: Passive brag about membership length? Wow, we are really reaching to try to come up with an insult.

Not reaching at all. Just pointing out that we might not have had our nice hat on that day. Length of duration here has nothing to do with the topic. Or ones ability to comment on it. Didn’t see a thing wrong with his comment either.

Edit. I see now that you edited to show who you were aiming at. I thought you had replied to the post directly above yours. So partly my mistake.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

These days I don’t think there is a lot you can do with an MB by way of technology. For example, I would guess that the Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototypes are just as “relevant” today as they were when they first came out.

Just don’t let anyone from NC near them :cop:

Lots of great members here from NC, understand the attempt at humor due to other thread, just caution in painting with broad brush about a whole state would be appreciated.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Sigh......

That many? Likely not, but hey man it's the internet. A place where people live out their fantacies these days.

Don't you know, it's the New Millenial way in the world, lol. If you question it or try to inject reason, your killing their buzz. So lay off them with this crazy reality talk. ;)

Sigh......

That many? Likely not, but hey man it's the internet. A place where people live out their fantacies these days.

Don't you know, it's the New Millenial way in the world, lol. If you question it or try to inject reason, your killing their buzz. So lay off them with this crazy reality talk. ;)

You’re surprised that a golf-focused online forum would have an above-average amount of low handicap/scratch golfers?

I will chime in, I had a set of Miura tournament blades ... really pretty satin head with the satin Tour Concept X100 shafts in them ... not the baby blades but close enough

Here's what I have hit since then that are superior in feel and performance

Callaway X-Prototypes

Bridgestone J15 Mb's

Ping s55's

Like Dufner has said recently, "hold onto old irons and wedges you really liked and played well with" .. so I am

I will agree with the OP that some players don't see benefits from wide soled SGI irons (myself included). I've had two MAJOR fitters around here - with years of experience - confirm that this can happen with some players where lots of bounce on irons = exceptionally poor results

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I recommend that you spend more than two months as a member before turning into a troll.

My link isn't humorous. The second you read something in my post you disliked you discredited the whole thing in an infantile way, and responded with an emotionally rationalized "I've been here longer therefore anything that's been discussed before may not be brought again by someone who can't find it on the miserable search function". It was an honest suggestion to help you better understand other peoples train of thought. Sorry a potentially thought invoking comment was taken offensively. Guess I'm done with these forums since the "OG's" won't stand for literally any newcomer doing something they disagree with. Good luck continuing to grow.

I recommend that you spend more than two months as a member before turning into a troll.

My link isn't humorous. The second you read something in my post you disliked you discredited the whole thing in an infantile way, and responded with an emotionally rationalized "I've been here longer therefore anything that's been discussed before may not be brought again by someone who can't find it on the miserable search function". It was an honest suggestion to help you better understand other peoples train of thought. Sorry a potentially thought invoking comment was taken offensively. Guess I'm done with these forums since the "OG's" won't stand for literally any newcomer doing something they disagree with. Good luck continuing to grow.

1. I didn't even reply to your post.

2. You quoted me, when I wasn't even talking to you, with a smartass link to a "Learn to Think" book, and want to act indignant? Please don't go! We don't have nearly enough drama queens here.

Taylormade Sim2 10.5° (turned down to 9°) - Tensei White 60 stiff

Ping G400 3 and 5 Woods - Diamana D+ Limited 70 stiff

Ping G400 22° Hybrid - Diamana D+ 90 Stiff

Ping i200 5-UW - Modus Tour 105 stiff

Vokey SM4 54° and 58° - DGS-300

Cameron Special Select Newport 2

1. I didn't even reply to your post.

2. You quoted me, when I wasn't even talking to you, with a smartass link to a "Learn to Think" book, and want to act indignant? Please don't go! We don't have nearly enough drama queens here.

Did you even read my response????

If you're just looking to argue feel free to PM me, leave this post about the clubs though. "OG"

The worst argument in golf is relating handicap directly to ball striking ability.

"You're a 12 handicap? You can't play iBlades... You should be hitting the i200s"

"You're a 2 handicap? Why are you using i200s? You should be hitting the iBlades."

There are 4 different kinds of clubs in your bag. Your woods, irons, wedges and putter. They all drastically impact your scoring.

Why can't a fantastic ball striker be a terrible chipper or have a poor putting stroke with a 12 handicap? Maybe he can't get off the tee, maybe he's always punching out. Maybe he's using a blade putter and can't make a 7 ft. putt because he constantly pulls them?

Same goes for someone who's a 2, but maybe needs that forgiveness in his irons. Straight as an arrow off the tee, but struggles with GIR. Constantly chipping it close and saving his par.

I've gone "Full Circle" in the last few years. From RBZ irons to Nike Vr Pro blades. From a Spider Ghost mallet to a Scotty Cameron blade. From a D3 Titleist head to a 2017 M2.

There are no pre-determined clubs for golfers of certain skill levels. To say there is shows how much you still have to learn about the game.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Relating “personal preference” to “facts” is quite a leap. No one on this thread has claimed that their preferences or beliefs are the new gold standard.

My belief is that playing blades, as long as you play and practice somewhat often, helps you become a better ball striker. I could be wrong and even if I am, the amount of backlash for such a belief is shocking.

Relating “personal preference” to “facts” is quite a leap. No one on this thread has claimed that their preferences or beliefs are the new gold standard.

My belief is that playing blades, as long as you play and practice somewhat often, helps you become a better ball striker. I could be wrong and even if I am, the amount of backlash for such a belief is shocking.

What would you suggest to someone new to golf? Throw a set of baby blades in their hand and watch them never golf again.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

The OP says that certain irons are "the best" and your post underneath him "confirms" his statement with no mention of personal preference in either. Though I understood all along that there was (and always is) an implied message of that with these posts, it's often left out. That's what creates this type of nonsense. Clearly (or not clearly?) my post was meant to be very sarcastic and the last thing I want to do is participate in one of these worthless arguments. And for the record, I respect your opinion because that's how it should be. I'm just poking fun. Golf is way too personal that it blows my mind how often these threads even pop up and snowball quickly.

I think WRX should incorporate a bot in the equipment forums that adds the words "For Me" at the end of every post. Maybe that would help.

Lol actually that would be pretty funny to see “for me” added in everywhere.

I like to use analogies to make points and I relate golf clubs to cars, because I love both. Some people are perfectly fine driving a Camry or a mini-van because it’s safe, reliable and always gets you where you’re going. Some people like the idea of driving a race car (Blades) and even though it’s proven to be dangerous, unreliable and they crash it all the f**king time- they have the most fun doing it. Sounds stupid to most, but I don’t play this game for a living and my most memorable rounds aren’t the ones where I played it safe. My most memorable times on golf courses are when I take a chance, play a shot that I probably shouldn’t, and everything goes exactly how I pictured it in my head.

Unless you rely on your golf game to put food on the table, I think it should be all about having fun.

The OP says that certain irons are "the best" and your post underneath him "confirms" his statement with no mention of personal preference in either. Though I understood all along that there was (and always is) an implied message of that with these posts, it's often left out. That's what creates this type of nonsense. Clearly (or not clearly?) my post was meant to be very sarcastic and the last thing I want to do is participate in one of these worthless arguments. And for the record, I respect your opinion because that's how it should be. I'm just poking fun. Golf is way too personal that it blows my mind how often these threads even pop up and snowball quickly.

I think WRX should incorporate a bot in the equipment forums that adds the words "For Me" at the end of every post. Maybe that would help.

I added for me to the original post so you can save yourself the aneurysm. :) I didn't realize I was redoing a graduate thesis that was stating laws of physics and generalized facts for everyone.

I didn't realize when I woke up this morning, but now I do, that golf R&D and even the principles of physics are completely fake. Thank goodness I found this thread today to remind me that personal preference of a few people on the internet are all the facts we need.

I have no issues with R&D or the principles of physics at all. Where I have issues is when an OEM like Callaway spends 8x as much on its marketing budget as it does on R&D...why is that? I really cannot get my head around that.

If real, significant improvements could be made to clubs, surely they would spend a higher proportion on R&D?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I didn't realize when I woke up this morning, but now I do, that golf R&D and even the principles of physics are completely fake. Thank goodness I found this thread today to remind me that personal preference of a few people on the internet are all the facts we need.

I have no issues with R&D or the principles of physics at all. Where I have issues is when an OEM like Callaway spends 8x as much on its marketing budget as it does on R&D...why is that? I really cannot get my head around that.

If real, significant improvements could be made to clubs, surely they would spend a higher proportion on R&D?

That's because clubs are peaking, or have peaked for a while now anyways. It's all marketing ploys now to get people to buy the latest and greatest. We all fall for it, myself included.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

That's because clubs are peaking, or have peaked for a while now anyways. It's all marketing ploys now to get people to buy the latest and greatest. We all fall for it, myself included.

I think he's saying he understands that, and that all the marketing money is, in reality just smoke and mirrors to cover the fact R&D can only do so much to golf club besides strengthen lofts annually to make them "perform" better.

Can confirm-the best performing irons are forged MBs. I'd stretch it to say that forged CBs are very similar and it's up to preference.

My advice to people is to buy blades and if you can't hit them well, start practicing. They will make you a better player and will let you know when you're making mistakes.

Aim small, miss small. Time to take the training wheels off.

I can tell where I mishit the ball on the face even on the clunkiest of blades or cb, same goes for a high moi driver, on down the line. No amount of practice or feedback on mishits is going to make someone a natural at ball striking. Reality is most golfers are gonna need some help.

This.

I've been going through a rough period of heel strikes with my driver. I know I hit it off the heel and I feel it when I do. I still miss on the heel no matter how much awareness and feedback I've gotten from my driver.

I think he's saying he understands that, and that all the marketing money is, in reality just smoke and mirrors to cover the fact R&D can only do so much to golf club besides strengthen lofts annually to make them "perform" better.

Exactly that

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I didn't mean to appear in a stance of defending any OEMS for their actions. I just have a general understanding and tolerance for the fact that they are powerhouse businesses and the primary goal is to make big profits and keep their shareholders (where applicable) happy. They know how to do that better than you, me and everyone else who thinks their opinion matters. I play the clubs I want to play and you guys should too. It's easy to take posts here slightly skewed from their intended message and we all do it. I just think all the noise is stupid. You guys want a world that is too real for it's own good. You want all this tech to be justified and groundbreaking or not at all. Well that's not how it works. Marketing is of course a big part of business in the 21st century and that is certainly not constrained to the game of golf. It's easier to accept it for what it is than complain as if it's causing you some sort of emotional pain.

You guys call it "marketing ploys" and the world calls it Marketing.

These days I dont think there is a lot you can do with an MB by way of technology. For example, I would guess that the Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototypes are just as relevant today as they were when they first came out.

Just dont let anyone from NC near them :cop:

Lots of great members here from NC, understand the attempt at humor due to other thread, just caution in painting with broad brush about a whole state would be appreciated.

It was a joke. Half my family’s from NC, not painting at all

Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Fujikura Motore Speeder VC7.2 Tour Spec X

Taylormade V-Steel 15* Aldila Tour Blue 75TX

Titleist 913 19* Diamana 82hy S
Srixon ZX4 MKII 4i Modus 105s

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-P Modus 105s

TM MG 50/54 Project X 6.5 8i 

TM Tiger Grind 60* TI s400

TM Rossa Tourismo agsi+

I didn't mean to appear in a stance of defending any OEMS for their actions. I just have a general understanding and tolerance for the fact that they are powerhouse businesses and the primary goal is to make big profits and keep their shareholders (where applicable) happy. They know how to do that better than you, me and everyone else who thinks their opinion matters. I play the clubs I want to play and you guys should too. It's easy to take posts here slightly skewed from their intended message and we all do it. I just think all the noise is stupid. You guys want a world that is too real for it's own good. You want all this tech to be justified and groundbreaking or not at all. Well that's not how it works. Marketing is of course a big part of business in the 21st century and that is certainly not constrained to the game of golf. It's easier to accept it for what it is than complain as if it's causing you some sort of emotional pain.

I see a lot of Golf stores closing down. People are starting to catch on.

Their new M2 driver doesn't go a lot further than the last M2 driver they paid full price for last year.

Their new Epic Star isn't a whole lot different from their Epic they sold for half the price of what they paid just to pay full price again.

Their 718 shiny AP2s don't offer any more forgiveness or distance than their old 716 AP2s they sold for half the money.

Their new Scotty Cameron doesn't make them sink any more putts than their 7 year old Odyssey did.

And how do the OEMs respond to the lower sales? Jack the prices up to compensate. It's crazy, but that's where the golf industry is right now. This is coming from a guy who's played almost every OEM in all 4 sections of the bag. Trying to get better for 2018. Working in the winter to choose my bag setup and not make any major switches for an entire season.

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Jet Set Newport 2 

I see a lot of Golf stores closing down. People are starting to catch on.

Their new M2 driver doesn't go a lot further than the last M2 driver they paid full price for last year.

Their new Epic Star isn't a whole lot different from their Epic they sold for half the price of what they paid just to pay full price again.

Their 718 shiny AP2s don't offer any more forgiveness or distance than their old 716 AP2s they sold for half the money.

Their new Scotty Cameron doesn't make them sink any more putts than their 7 year old Odyssey did.

And how do the OEMs respond to the lower sales? Jack the prices up to compensate. It's crazy, but that's where the golf industry is right now. This is coming from a guy who's played almost every OEM in all 4 sections of the bag. Trying to get better for 2018. Working in the winter to choose my bag setup and not make any major switches for an entire season.

I agree with all of your points except all of this being in any way directly correlated to golf stores closing.

Hahaha the guys that say people can’t play blades used to drive me nuts but not anymore. I’ve gone full circle too. Callaway Apex MB. Decent off tee. And can’t putt for s***. Average 1.8 to 1.9 putts a round per season. So blades are back in the bag and my blade putter is being shelved for a Odyssey Sabertooth.

For me it’s all about feel. I HAVE to have solid feel with my irons, wedges and putters. Everything from full shots to partial swings and chips. I’ve played everything blades to game improvement irons. I carry my 34 degree blade 7 iron 160 yards. That’s plenty of distance and I know where it’s going to go.

If you can’t hit the center...don’t play them. I’ve seen old men get on just fine with blades and they don’t have swing speed. It’s all about contact. Nothing more, nothing less.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

The pessimism in this thread strikes me as odd. Its been roughly a decade since the last jump in driver technology (460cc full titanium with customizable ball flight, the R7). That's not that long in the history of golf, relatively speaking. It seems nuts to say we have finally reached the point where "nothing" else new can be invented (these are famous last words).

Most companies spend way more on marketing than R&D because marketing is more expensive than R&D. Its apples and oranges. You can't compare TV ad buys to engineers salaries. The analysis here doesn't make any sense. Why would they be comparable in any way? They are two completely different things. I spend more on my car than my kid's day care and food combined, but I care a helluva lot more about my kid than my car.

"They can't really improve wedges any more than we already have. They've been the same for about 45 years."

-Everyone, right before the first 588 came out.

You not being able to imagine what the next big breakthrough will be and that breakthrough being impossible are not the same thing.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S