Best ball striker you have seen in person?

tmartin89

First Sam, who I was Blessed to have Played many rounds with and in his late 70’s, under pressure, his ball striking was incredible and would be the envy of a 25yo Tour Pro. You call the shot and he’d stick it and give ya that wink and a smile.

He was the Best that I ever saw.

From a pure ball striking standpoint, putting aside that I do not believe that he hit as many high pressure shots in his career as Sam, however I got to Play with him twice through his friendship with my Teacher and his Bro, and he was amazing to watch, and that’s Mo.

And yea NB, his hands were friggin freaky with that ingrained rubber in his skin???

I initially thought that he hadn’t washed his hands and Pete said “Nope,” lol

That’s a lot of balls Bro?

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Moe Norman used to hit many of the local courses around my neck of the woods. One day he was practicing right beside me at A course called Hidden Lake.

I had to stop and watch. I really couldn't help myself. And it wasn't because he was long because he wasn't any longer than I was at that time. But every shot...and I mean EVERY shot was the same height and same distance and you could throw a blanket over the whole lot. Didn't matter the club, at the end of his session there were tight groupings of golf balls on the range in a perfectly straight line, each grouping representing a different club.

I have honestly never witnessed such a sight before or since.

BTW: Moe had very big hands that were incredibly calloused. Where the callous had split and healed, you could see grip rubber buried in the healed portions. Not a little but a LOT!

Moe Norman: a very special man with an even more special talent.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

JonesScott, but in person, I saw Senior tour Colin Montgomery. He was a machine with his fade. I believe and club at it's distance you could have just drove in a cart to said distance and dropped it there. It was amazing to see.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

Ive followed Tom Watson up close on a few occasions. I just love the tempo, and confidence in which he plays.

Visualize shot

Pull club

Quick waggle

Hit shot, always pure and crisp

Walk quickly to ball

No messing around

Ive watched Trevino up close but he was out of contention and just seemed to be trying to get it in the house. But it was like the ball was on a string and he was in full control of it. Not huge impressive power but pure control.

I was walking off the range and Watson was hitting balls aiming up the right side. I stopped to ask what he was aiming at, and he was kind enough to chat for a bit, and explained he was trying to knock pine cones off of a tree. This tree was about 80 yards out and limbs were 40 feet up. It was incredible to see that level of traj control, there's tiers to professional golf just like am golf. Definitely near the top Tom is.

The guy I would like to see on a range if I ever go over the pond again would probably be Furyk. Objectively, he is the best ballstriker in our time. His swing was on for like 20 straight years. Shaky legs at sunday and not the longest of hitters, but just so consistent with his swing. And see that octopussy swing should have its own aestethics. Have anyone seen Furyk in person?

Saw Jim in 98 at the driving range hitting alternate driver-wedge for like 15 minutes before playing. Gawd the man had more rhythm and tempo than a ballet dancer. Unbelievable.

Ive followed Tom Watson up close on a few occasions. I just love the tempo, and confidence in which he plays.

Visualize shot

Pull club

Quick waggle

Hit shot, always pure and crisp

Walk quickly to ball

No messing around

Ive watched Trevino up close but he was out of contention and just seemed to be trying to get it in the house. But it was like the ball was on a string and he was in full control of it. Not huge impressive power but pure control.

I was walking off the range and Watson was hitting balls aiming up the right side. I stopped to ask what he was aiming at, and he was kind enough to chat for a bit, and explained he was trying to knock pine cones off of a tree. This tree was about 80 yards out and limbs were 40 feet up. It was incredible to see that level of traj control, there's tiers to professional golf just like am golf. Definitely near the top Tom is.

When you approached Tom he’d look at you and you’d never feel intimidated. He’d make a comment to break the ice and he’d let you ask questions. Outstanding champion and a real gentleman.

Best I ever played with was just last week, a 19-yr old kid from Korea, here visiting, member of the KPGA (which is huge, 2000 guys). Shot -4 on 6800 with some wind. One of those guys who really does hit it 300+. I used to play occasionally with guys on the fringe of PGA, but I don't recall them being anything as impressive as this kid was. The guys on the PGA now, as just another person in the gallery, it's hard to really get a sense of them.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Charl Schwartzel

Had the chance to play with him in a pro-am and will agree it was pretty impressive. Guy goes flat out at EVERYTHING (think 98% effort on a PW from 140).

One I'd throw into the mix in terms of the way it takes off the club is Brooks Koepka. Watched him up close at Wentworth a couple years back, and the sound the ball made off the club was unlike any I'd experienced (and I've seen quite a few up close). Maybe he just plays softer balls than some, but he hit a 3w draw (controlled hook?) off the 17th tee that I still remember to this day for the sound it made--could just hear the ball SQUISH like a boiled egg before it went rocketing off around 300 yards (downhill hole).

Jose Maria Olazabal.

1990 World Series of golf Firestone CC. 61-67-67-67. Won by 12.

Seconded. I've been lucky enough to help out at the Abu Dhabi HSBC tournament in the club repair tent during tournament week. This gave me access to the practice range. In the four years that I stood on the range and watched these guys hit balls the only one that stood out was JMO. And this was past his prime. The things that guy can do with a 3 iron should be illegal in most countries.

PING G400 MAX, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 SFT 3W, Tour AD-DI
PING G400 7W, Tour AD-BB
Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW, Modus 120
Mizuno T-20 52, 56, 60, DG Tour Isssue
TM Spider CS
Titleist Pro V1x

JonesScott, but in person, I saw Senior tour Colin Montgomery. He was a machine with his fade. I believe and club at it's distance you could have just drove in a cart to said distance and dropped it there. It was amazing to see.

Which makes his approach into 18 at Winged Foot even more shocking! He's a machine...but like most, succumbed to the ultimate pressure.

George Knudson. I followed him in a US Open qualifier at Detroit Golf Club in 1970. He hit every fairway on the front 9, and all 9 greens and shot 1 under. His ball flight on his driver was exactly the same on every drive he hit. I swear you could have hung a picture window out there about 100 yds and every ball would have gone through it. I followed him for 4 holes on the back 9 and he hit all the fairways but missed a green about 4 feet short. It was both impressive and depressing. My aspiring game was not in that universe.

I'm not sure but George Knudson might have been Hogan's best friend and closest collaborator on the golf swing. They were very close, and shared very similar ideas. I wish I had seen Knudson in his prime.

Others will say something similar to this, but here goes anyway...

The most exciting ball-striker I ever saw in person was Tiger Woods (still an am) in 1996 at the US Open at Oakland Hills. Tiger was overwhelmed by an Open course at that age, but he hit the ball qualitatively different from every other player in the field. They all played wound balata balls; one of the last years of them, and it was the last years of wooden drivers (I think that year it was about 85% metalwoods and 15% wooden heads; Tiger had his King Cobra 9* Deep Face) and driver head sizes weren't yet exploding.

Tiger hit it harder than anybody; he spun it more; the ball flight was astonishing. The modern equipment era of multilayer urethane balls and big drivers totally diminished the differences between Woods and his fellow competitors.

I had the great good fortune to caddy for Jack Nicklaus and Lee Trevino in the summer of 1973; Nicklaus had so much length in reserve, it was hard to imagine. And but for Woods' amazing form as a collegian/am amateur, and Nicklaus' power, Lee Trevino was the most amazing controller of the golf ball I have seen in my life.

I never had the chance to see Ben Hogan play in person.

Ben Hogan playing a practice round at the 1970 PGA Championship. He withdrew after the round due to how hilly the course was. The ball made a completely different sound as it came off the club. I've seen Snead, Tiger, Palmer, Nicklaus, Trevino, Norman, Faldo, Player and most all of the guys from the '60's, '70's, and '80's and none of them hit a shot that sounded like his. The trajectory was lower than most players but it just kept going and his fade was very much a straight shot. It only fell about 3 feet to the right. He could also hit a draw that just dropped a little to the left. High, low, left, right it was something to see.

Jose Maria Olazabal.

1990 World Series of golf Firestone CC. 61-67-67-67. Won by 12.

Seconded. I've been lucky enough to help out at the Abu Dhabi HSBC tournament in the club repair tent during tournament week. This gave me access to the practice range. In the four years that I stood on the range and watched these guys hit balls the only one that stood out was JMO. And this was past his prime. The things that guy can do with a 3 iron should be illegal in most countries.

My golf buddy went to the old World Cup in 2000. When we met I kept on asking him about Tiger and Duval. He spent the day talking about Olazábal at the range, he was in awe. And he remarked over and over the way he hit long irons.

Seen most all of the best, nobody even close to Moe Norman.....I watched that guy hit probably 2,000 balls combined in a few sessions in Palm Coast, Florida. It was ridiculous!...

I think you have to put an asterisk next to Moe as his legendary ball striking is based on clinics at driving ranges in retirement. There isn't much video of his ball striking from his playing days, and his PGA tour record is nothing to get excited about. Not saying he wasn't a great ball striker, but hitting on the range is not the same as under tournament pressure. Never seen him live but Tigers range sessions are legendary for the purity of strike and ball control.

As far as my opinion, the best I have seen live is Greg Norman and it isn't close. His driving and long iron play back in the late 80s was other worldly. The accuracy and length he had with a persimmon driver was ridiculous, as was the towering trajectory and length of his long irons. Not to mention the sound, his drives echoed like rifle shots.

On tv the greatest ball striking exhibition I've ever seen is Tiger at Augusta in 97, no words could do justice to the display he put on.

But it would be hard to argue against Hogan as the greatest ball striker ever. He didn't have the athletic gifts of Tiger and the shark, but pound for pound he hit it better than anyone. Trevino, Miller, Seve, Nicklaus, Watson, Weiskopf, DL3, Freddy, JD, Stenson, Lyle and Price also immediately come to mind as ball strikers who stood out from the pack.

Of the younger players, DJ, Rory and Day are the standouts.

Middle of the range, RIGHT directly in line with the 100/150/200/250 markers, which were a 4x8 sheet of plywood painted white, and numbered. EVERY stinking shot was straight as an arrow, over the boards, every club, EVERY shot.......Not saying he was a great tournament player, but NOBODY, EVER, hit the ball more pure, shot after shot...Even Tiger said that!, and Faldo, and Price, etc......LOL. Oh, and while I got you, Peter Jacobsen said the last time he played with Johnny Miller, Miller birdies the BACK 9.........THAT is ball-striking.......LOL

In early 90s, watched Nick Price on range at the old GGO- every shot was absolutely flushed with a different sound than any other player and reached same peak trajectory, just a matter of how soon and how far downrange hit that window.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

Seen most all of the best, nobody even close to Moe Norman.....I watched that guy hit probably 2,000 balls combined in a few sessions in Palm Coast, Florida. It was ridiculous!...

I think you have to put an asterisk next to Moe as his legendary ball striking is based on clinics at driving ranges in retirement. There isn't much video of his ball striking from his playing days, and his PGA tour record is nothing to get excited about. Not saying he wasn't a great ball striker, but hitting on the range is not the same as under tournament pressure. Never seen him live but Tigers range sessions are legendary for the purity of strike and ball control.

As far as my opinion, the best I have seen live is Greg Norman and it isn't close. His driving and long iron play back in the late 80s was other worldly. The accuracy and length he had with a persimmon driver was ridiculous, as was the towering trajectory and length of his long irons. Not to mention the sound, his drives echoed like rifle shots.

On tv the greatest ball striking exhibition I've ever seen is Tiger at Augusta in 97, no words could do justice to the display he put on.

But it would be hard to argue against Hogan as the greatest ball striker ever. He didn't have the athletic gifts of Tiger and the shark, but pound for pound he hit it better than anyone. Trevino, Miller, Seve, Nicklaus, Watson, Weiskopf, DL3, Freddy, JD, Stenson, Lyle and Price also immediately come to mind as ball strikers who stood out from the pack.

Of the younger players, DJ, Rory and Day are the standouts.

Middle of the range, RIGHT directly in line with the 100/150/200/250 markers, which were a 4x8 sheet of plywood painted white, and numbered. EVERY stinking shot was straight as an arrow, over the boards, every club, EVERY shot.......Not saying he was a great tournament player, but NOBODY, EVER, hit the ball more pure, shot after shot...Even Tiger said that!, and Faldo, and Price, etc......LOL. Oh, and while I got you, Peter Jacobsen said the last time he played with Johnny Miller, Miller birdies the BACK 9.........THAT is ball-striking.......LOL

I think someone should do some research on Moe Norman, Not his playing stats but about him as a person. There is a reason beyond talent that his PGA Tour career was almost non-existent. He wasn't wired for it.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Best ball striker I've ever played with was Joe Durant in the SAS Championship pro-am a few years ago...his ball striking was unbelievable to be quite honest. He hit 17 greens and missed 1 fairway and it was by 6 inches. Every club was a 3 yard cut. One of the nicest guys on top of that.

Watching Tiger on the range at Greensboro in 2015 was pretty phenomenal too. Everything was on the money.