2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

JB Holmes Pace of play (merged)

golfer07840

This isn't regular golf with your buddies. It's their job, there's a lot more that goes into a shot than what's seen on tv. I'm talking to a few buddies right now that just finished playing, apparently the wind was absolutely ridiculous and greens were the firmest they have ever been. I'm always going to be pro player on everything, it's not like he was not doing anything, there was a convo going on between he and BP, plus a huge gust came up. Idk I guess I'm not bothered by it at all, it's part of elite tournament golf

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

call it in ...ooops

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

This isn't regular golf with your buddies. It's their job, there's a lot more that goes into a shot than what's seen on tv. I'm talking to a few buddies right now that just finished playing, apparently the wind was absolutely ridiculous and greens were the firmest they have ever been. I'm always going to be pro player on everything, it's not like he was not doing anything, there was a convo going on between he and BP, plus a huge gust came up. Idk I guess I'm not bothered by it at all, it's part of elite tournament golf

You have a point Mrs Holmes.....

Four and a half minutes to take an open shot from an excellent lie on the fairway? No. Just no.

I wonder if Alex Noren feels the same way. The fact is, slower players dictate pace of play which is unfair to faster players.

He still made birdie, and I don't think Noren's shot would have been any less bad if JB had played faster. I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, he took too long, but nobody commenting on this thread has ever been in that position before and I don't think any of us are truly qualified to judge.

I wonder if Alex Noren feels the same way. The fact is, slower players dictate pace of play which is unfair to faster players.

It is unfair, it really is. I am not the fastest player, but I aint slow either. BUT that is part of the game right now, are the powers that be looking into perhaps changing it? I think so, but it happens at every level of elite tournament golf. JB today was quick compared a lot of the q school rounds I have been a part of.

JB does need to address this.

I really think, based on the difficulty he has closing/blowing up on Sunday, the nerves really get to him in the higher pressure situations.

Seems like he froze there.

Still a fan but with his resources, he should see somebody and work on this. Wasnt fair to his playing partners

He still made birdie, and I don't think Noren's shot would have been any less bad if JB had played faster. I think people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Yes, he took too long, but nobody commenting on this thread has ever been in that position before and I don't think any of us are truly qualified to judge.

This times infinity...AMEN thank you!

LOL not mrs. holmes. JB is not one of my favorite players, not sure why just have not really spoken much to him, glad to see him playing well again though after his brain surgery.

LOL not mrs. holmes. JB is not one of my favorite players, not sure why just have not really spoken much to him, glad to see him playing well again though after his brain surgery.

The outcome is not the point as some have pointed out.....its a precedent that needs to be nipped in the bud...

Luke Donald, Mark Calcavecchia, Daniel Berger, Nick Faldo etc are probably qualified to judge though and think the same as everyone else.

Yes, he took too long...

There are rules that govern pace of play. "Yes, he took too long...", therefore should be assessed a penalty. Take as long as you like, but then expect repercussions.

If that's the way you feel, then what about when Tiger or Spieth takes 3 minutes to hit a shot? When it's one of the faces of the tour, people seem to be much more lax in their interpretation of the pace of play rules. It only seems to me that people get all up in arms whenever it's one of the less popular players.

Fair and reasonable post BNGL. But I still disagree, strongly. You can't outwait Mother Nature waiting for favorable conditions. Make your best assessment, pull the club, and hit it.

The outcome is not the point as some have pointed out.....its a precedent that needs to be nipped in the bud...

Why though? Look I am not trying to be divisive, just speaking my mind and from experience playing elite golf, it happens, its understood by those that partake in those level events. I see it and bemoan it, but to me its cavil the calling to speed up the game. I do not know that i have seen any numbers that conclude that faster play is going to lead to lower scores for every player. Each player has their own clock, the best players in the world manage it that is the intangible that makes them great players. Theres an old story about the 1955 PGA won by Mr. Doug Ford, his match play opponent Cary Middlecoff smoked a whole cigarette before stroking his putt. Slow play and players have been a part of the game since the beginning.

Yes, he took too long...

There are rules that govern pace of play. "Yes, he took too long...", therefore should be assessed a penalty. Take as long as you like, but then expect repercussions.

If that's the way you feel, then what about when Tiger or Spieth takes 3 minutes to hit a shot? When it's one of the faces of the tour, people seem to be much more lax in their interpretation of the pace of play rules. It only seems to me that people get all up in arms whenever it's one of the less popular players.

Its the other way around. If it was Tiger, 5 threads about the same topic would have been started and all of them would be at 10 pages now.

Why though? Look I am not trying to be divisive, just speaking my mind and from experience playing elite golf, it happens, its understood by those that partake in those level events. I see it and bemoan it, but to me its cavil the calling to speed up the game. I do not know that i have seen any numbers that conclude that faster play is going to lead to lower scores for every player. Each player has their own clock, the best players in the world manage it that is the intangible that makes them great players. Theres an old story about the 1955 PGA won by Mr. Doug Ford, his match play opponent Cary Middlecoff smoked a whole cigarette before stroking his putt. Slow play and players have been a part of the game since the beginning.

All kinds of reasons, like people emulating their "idols" and taking the same amount of time and routine at the local course every weekend. We've all seen the guy dressed exactly like Tiger, same routine, same mannerisms, just not the same results. I understand defending friends and colleagues, but 4 minutes to chicken stick it...I'm not sure why even try to defend that. Hell, on the clock you get max 60 seconds if you are the 2nd or 3rd player to hit.

Sorry...yer gonna have to do better than that. The point is....at some PoINt..the tour has to step in....a story from 1955 does not validate JB’s slow play. I actually hold the tour accountable before jB . If the tour doesn’t draw a line....it will never be crossed......

JB could have won the tournament if he had not bogeyed 14,15 and 16. I am guessing he was trying to slow down on purpose to stop the bleeding. He still should have gone for it with his length.

Callaway Epic Max 10.5 Mitsubishi AVBlue 65 S
Callaway Paradigm HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B RX
God Bless America

Stay Free

Yes, he took too long...

I think that's atrocious. For anyone. It is one thing to wait for a rules official, and then THEY take 20 minutes to make a ruling. It's entirely another to wait 4 and half minutes to take a shot to the green from the middle of the fairway.