2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Things that have been bugging me lately

bulldog8b

I just hate courses with too many water hazards, gratuitous overuse of OB stakes, and houses/backyards that are very much in the *true* "playing corridor."

Actually, I pretty much hate residential routings in general. The 80s, 90s, and early aughts were mostly an awful time for golf course development.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

I just hate courses with too many water hazards, gratuitous overuse of OB stakes, and houses/backyards that are very much in the *true* "playing corridor."

Actually, I pretty much hate residential routings in general. The 80s, 90s, and early aughts were mostly an awful time for golf course development.

Condo canyon golf, a Florida original exported to a neighborhood near you.

Some of the Florida courses with water down one side of every hole .. really? How is that a design. Payne Stewart hated lakes on golf courses and I agree with him .. .too penal

I don't get all the music hate. Some quiet tunes never hurt anybody

Cigarette and cigar butts and sunflower seeds are so annoying .. and it's getting worse

I won't talk about pitch marks or failure to rake bunkers behind oneself ,,,, it's an epidemic. So many players now have zero consideration about the others on the course behind them

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

People who text or have to check their cell phones while playing...

Years ago i did triathlons - swim first, then bike, then run. The swim made my wife incredibly nervous; I'm not really sure why, but she was terrified I would drown. Anyway, to make her feel better I would text her after the swim, right before I got on my bike to let her know I wasn't dead. At one race, the guy next to saw me doing this and got really pissed. He started berating me about cell phones and that I shouldn't be racing and cell phones were ruining everything. I honestly didn't understand how my actions affected his race but he was definitely put off by it. My wife was happy I didn't drown and I continued with my race. Sorry buddy that I messed up your day so badly.

I'm trying to reread in my post where I said that CELTIC messed up my day so badly (if you're referring to me). I agree with you that spouses can be very concerned about each other, particularly at times like you mentioned (and we about them). Just two weeks ago my wife took place in her first indoor triathlon, and had only begun swimming in January. I couldn't go myself but our daughter was there and texted me the entire time as to what was going on. My wife is a 23 year breast cancer survivor, so we keep a close eye on each other like you do. I wouldn't have been playing golf though while she was swimming particularly, and hopefully your wife wouldn't have been either as she was concerned about you not drowning. I have learned a wonderful lesson about posting before thinking from you today, however you didn't mess up my day so badly as you said, I can handle life quite well, and in relation to the topic, I was more entering my opinion based on many folks today who seem so connected to their phones that life goes on around them and they miss what's happening at the moment. Example, we were at a restaurant Saturday night, and a very nice family came in, father, mother, two kids. The kids spent the entire time on their phones texting as was the mother, while the dad was on his Notepad. No one even spoke except to order food. I'm glad you didn't drown too...

I meant the guy at the triathlon - not you. Sorry for the confusion.

It's no problem CELTIC, it's very nice that your wife was concerned about you. You weren't confusing, I misunderstood...

I also hate water on every hole but I have zero choice in the matter as I live in SW Florida. Too may old peeps around here, never hear music or smell pot smoke. No sunflower seeds either. What we do have is massive spike mark issues on the back nine as those shoes get heavier and heavier. Screw the Rules, I pat em down.

I cant think of a course around here that I play regularly that doesn't have water in play on every hole, not just most, all of them. I often wonder how my handicap would travel in places with less water in play. You can be a just a teeny bit into the woods or a teeny bit into the pond. That has to show up on the card. This is the local track we play the most. Been fun the last few weeks with the wind screaming at >25

1-300x225.jpg?V=1.0

People who text or have to check their cell phones while playing. It's not using GPS or keeping score or using a golf app. It's texting or checking something non-golf as if not being able to let go of the outside world long enough to enjoy golf for a few hours. Usually in your group, or nearby, you can see it - thumbs rattling off at jackhammer speed without the noise, the phone has become the newest body organ, the sixth sense so to speak...

This makes no sense to me. So long as I’m not holding up play, how in gods green earth does my texting/emailing affect you in any way form or fashion? It doesn’t. Get over it.

Actually the title of this thread is "Things that have been bugging me lately", open to all, not "What makes sense to bigred90gt that I must get over" so don't tell me what to do, ever. And by the way, that would grammatically be God's green earth, but then again, you don't make sense to me either, so to each his own. Have a great day.

People who text or have to check their cell phones while playing. It's not using GPS or keeping score or using a golf app. It's texting or checking something non-golf as if not being able to let go of the outside world long enough to enjoy golf for a few hours. Usually in your group, or nearby, you can see it - thumbs rattling off at jackhammer speed without the noise, the phone has become the newest body organ, the sixth sense so to speak...

This makes no sense to me. So long as I’m not holding up play, how in gods green earth does my texting/emailing affect you in any way form or fashion? It doesn’t. Get over it.

Actually the title of this thread is "Things that have been bugging me lately", open to all, not "What makes sense to bigred90gt that I must get over" so don't tell me what to do, ever. And by the way, that would grammatically be God's green earth, but then again, you don't make sense to me either, so to each his own. Have a great day.

I'€m well aware of the proper grammar, but thank you for your concern in my education. If it bugs you that someone is texting or emailing on a golf course, not holding up play and having no negative effect on you or your day (aside from your apparent dislike for it) then I still say get over it. Your option is to get over it, or piss and moan like a baby and be miserable while people do it. If that's the option you choose, I bet you're a bundle of joy to be around.

While I may disagree about things like music on the course bugging people, it is logical in that it creates a distraction. Cigarette butts and sunflower seeds are littering, I get why that bothers people. Someone doing something quietly that creates no distraction and does not hold up play bothers you? I say you've got some issues you need to deal with. Perhaps you should talk to someone about it, you may find you enjoy life again.

I also like how you tell me not to tell you what to do, ever, yet in saying that, you are telling me what to do. Sound logic there buddy. Again, issues. Enjoy your day as well, princess.

I also hate water on every hole but I have zero choice in the matter as I live in SW Florida. Too may old peeps around here, never hear music or smell pot smoke. No sunflower seeds either. What we do have is massive spike mark issues on the back nine as those shoes get heavier and heavier. Screw the Rules, I pat em down.

I cant think of a course around here that I play regularly that doesn't have water in play on every hole, not just most, all of them. I often wonder how my handicap would travel in places with less water in play. You can be a just a teeny bit into the woods or a teeny bit into the pond. That has to show up on the card. This is the local track we play the most. Been fun the last few weeks with the wind screaming at >25

1-300x225.jpg?V=1.0

That...is...brutal. There should be a rule that all golf courses must have more golf course than water.

What costs so much that courses can't keep up bunkers? I am no architect and know nothing about drainage, etc, but once the bunker is built, isn't it just a matter of throwing new sand in and spreading it around so it doesn't turn into hard pan on the bottom? Is that really that expensive?

Depends on location to some extent. Sand appropriate for golf bunkers is not available everywhere. Sand is not cheap, but delivery cost can be brutal. Rebuilding improperly constructed bunkers is expensive as well. You need the right layers of soil and proper path to drainage. Making sure water has a place to go is not always easy depending on the course layout. I am not an expert, but everyone I have ever spoken to indicates bunkers are pricey to keep in proper shape.

What costs so much that courses can't keep up bunkers? I am no architect and know nothing about drainage, etc, but once the bunker is built, isn't it just a matter of throwing new sand in and spreading it around so it doesn't turn into hard pan on the bottom? Is that really that expensive?

Depends on location to some extent. Sand appropriate for golf bunkers is not available everywhere. Sand is not cheap, but delivery cost can be brutal. Rebuilding improperly constructed bunkers is expensive as well. You need the right layers of soil and proper path to drainage. Making sure water has a place to go is not always easy depending on the course layout. I am not an expert, but everyone I have ever spoken to indicates bunkers are pricey to keep in proper shape.

Neither prices are that bad (cost of sand or delivery) for one or two bunkers....but when you multiply it 57 or however many bunkers there is it'll add up quick. And yes you can just add sand, but conditions will suck because the sand has to settle which can take a couple weeks (so until then imagine playing from marshmallow fluff). The real cost is labor and upkeep im budgeting spending 64500 on sand for next year (I've got 85 bunkers). But I'm going to spend on 1.5 on labor alone. Now granted, all labor isn't going towards bunkers, but I think that hopefully illustrates the difference.

What really needs to happen is proper education on how to rake bunkers. I'd bet my house that the sand is still in the bunkers, but it's all displaced in the face of the bunkers. Because you're shooting over the face, and 99.9 percent of players just walk out toward the green so they rake it toward the green pulling sand up.

First: always, no exceptions, enter the bunker from the lowest point.

Second: push the sand away from you then pull it back smoothly, letting the weight of the rake do the work. When you push away that's when you can get aggressive, pushing away is when you smooth the foot prints and divot.

Lastly: don't hit it in the bunkers, (they're hazards) then no matter if you're at Augusta or Turd Municipal Golf Club, you don't have to worry about hardpan or fluff.

Ps. a lot of, if not all, companies deliver sand by weight, and I have noticed that the deliveries tend to be wet when they arrive meaning the vendors are hosing me.....literally

Neither prices are that bad (cost of sand or delivery) for one or two bunkers....but when you multiply it 57 or however many bunkers there is it'll add up quick. And yes you can just add sand, but conditions will suck because the sand has to settle which can take a couple weeks (so until then imagine playing from marshmallow fluff). The real cost is labor and upkeep im budgeting spending 64500 on sand for next year (I've got 85 bunkers). But I'm going to spend on 1.5 on labor alone. Now granted, all labor isn't going towards bunkers, but I think that hopefully illustrates the difference.

What really needs to happen is proper education on how to rake bunkers. I'd bet my house that the sand is still in the bunkers, but it's all displaced in the face of the bunkers. Because you're shooting over the face, and 99.9 percent of players just walk out toward the green so they rake it toward the green pulling sand up.

First: always, no exceptions, enter the bunker from the lowest point.

Second: push the sand away from you then pull it back smoothly, letting the weight of the rake do the work. When you push away that's when you can get aggressive, pushing away is when you smooth the foot prints and divot.

Lastly: don't hit it in the bunkers, (they're hazards) then no matter if you're at Augusta or Turd Municipal Golf Club, you don't have to worry about hardpan or fluff.

Ps. a lot of, if not all, companies deliver sand by weight, and I have noticed that the deliveries tend to be wet when they arrive meaning the vendors are hosing me.....literally

BNGL is accurate here. "Bunker" sand isn't just regular ol sand. Believe it or not, there any many grades and classifications of sand that we use in the golf course industry. Mostly determined by the sahpe of the individual sand particles, which determine how tightly it packs with the others around it.

And as he said, delivery can cost as much or more (did for us our last delivery) as the sand itself. I have about 25 bunkers (I say "about" because some are clusters of very small bunkers and I personally just call the whole thing 1 bunker), and to just more or less add an inch or so of sand to them during late winter to make them look good for the upcoming season is $20,000 (give or take) every time we do it. And sometimes that doesn't even cover them all. Plus labor, and that's a time consuming job. Golfers not in the know just don't truly realize how expensive it is to build and maintain those "sand piles" all over a golf course.

As far as a lot of other issues mentioned in this thread, I can just sum it up with an observation of mine over the 25 years I've spent in this business...as time moves forward, it seems the number of people in society that just don't consider other people, or who are a "me first" type, increases every year. When I started in golf, the VAST majority of people seemed to be much more considerate of fellow golfers. Today, I see and deal with far more people who are oblivious to others around them, or expect someone else to "take care of it". I've had golfers tell me many times, when I've walked out on a green to politely discuss repairing their ball marks, that I "had people to do that for them, that's not their problem." And from what I hear from other friends in different industries that own restaurants, hotels, etc, this increasing inconsiderate behavior isn't isolated to golf.

But...what can you do? I just try to focus on providing the best possible experience we can for our customers, and enjoy the golfers that appreciate that effort. There ARE (thankfully) still people out there that do recognize it, and go out of their way to show and tell their appreciation. That is still one of the best things about this business...having a golfer seek me out in my office or on course to tell me how good their experience was, or how well my staff treated them, or to praise course conditions. Interestingly enough, I've found that a lot of the people that do that are in a similar industry/career (hospitality/recreation/entertainment).

And yes, it seems sand is always delivered wet! I always wonder how much that moisture adds to our price.

There's not very many courses like that in the UK. You get the occasional house whose garden backs onto a course but I've never seen a course in the UK surrounded by housing. I don't think that 'living on a golf course' has ever been a thing here. Most golf courses I've been to seem to be converted farmland. What seems to happen most often is that the farmer decides he's getting too old so repurposes some of his fields as a way to supplement retirement income. There are a few hotel+spa+golf places here and there but at least one of those used to be a farm.

I would imagine that property developers in the UK would take the view that a golf course in the middle of a housing estate is a waste of space.

1-300x225.jpg?V=1.0

That...is...brutal. There should be a rule that all golf courses must have more golf course than water.

The only course around here with a lot of water (ignoring the current standing kind :( ) would be Helidon Lakes. But even that's nowhere near as bad as it sounds.

Although it does have some foibles. That 15th is not only more than a right angle. It also has a large 'burial mound' running along the left side of the first part of the fairway (presumably to dissuade anyone from trying to cut the corner) and a small 'burial mound' in front of the green. Both mounds are a couple of metres high so block site of the flag. So a bit irritating.

Believe it or not, there any many grades and classifications of sand that we use in the golf course industry.

I played a course in Morocco and it seemed to be using volcanic sand, 'pebbles' and all. I think it was 'Al Maaden Golf Resort'. Worse still there was a ridiculous number of bunkers (I mean - seriously - maybe that's a message in Arabic?). Everyone in my party was sick of them by the end even the couple of really good golfers had got fed up.

There's not very many courses like that in the UK. You get the occasional house whose garden backs onto a course but I've never seen a course in the UK surrounded by housing. I don't think that 'living on a golf course' has ever been a thing here. Most golf courses I've been to seem to be converted farmland. What seems to happen most often is that the farmer decides he's getting too old so repurposes some of his fields as a way to supplement retirement income. There are a few hotel+spa+golf places here and there but at least one of those used to be a farm.

I would imagine that property developers in the UK would take the view that a golf course in the middle of a housing estate is a waste of space.

I don't get why people would want their backyard onto a golf course. No privacy

Bunker rework at my home course is a three year project and north of $1 million (27 holes). 50 year old course, so the shape and location of bunkers has changed over time, especially the greenside bunkers. The project is making some of us nervous because there is definitely a cost-cutting/maintenance-cutting aspect to the work, but so many of the holes are defined by the bunkers. Big fairways, big greens, and big bunkers.

Most of the places I've seen (and it wasn't many) were converted farm buildings or in one case the course happens to butt up against a village. In that case there's a row of poplar trees and quite a bit of rough (good blackberrying if you play at the right time of year, lol, not so good if your ball goes in there). Mind you there is the residential home that my club partially wraps around. Could be a great place to retire to but I'd want a gate in the fence and it's about as far from the club house as you can get. They have concerts a couple of times of year and since we've already mentioned music I have to say that playing golf to the sound of Tom Jones has little to recommend it :)

Someone once told me that shortly after he hooked the ball into the grounds of the home there was a cheer and 'It's not Unusual' started to play. Probably not true but quite funny :)

The excuse-making theorist.

This guy makes a bad shot and then attempts to share his theories on why the shot was missed.

Hits a loose fade that catches the right bunker:

“That bunker, by my eye, should have been on the left side of the green. What a poorly designed hole. The guy who designed this course is an a-hole.”

Hits a big slice on the second hole:

“The greenskeeper needs to align these tee markers. Just like the first hole, they are aimed directly at those trees on the right.”

Pulls a ball left in the water:

“The wife got a new sofa last week and it’s throwing off my spine angle. I never went left with the old couch.”

One of the nicer courses in the Chicago area Prairie Landing, which is an RTJ designed course, took out 64 of 127 bunkers on the course 3 years ago. Removing those bunkers saved them over $700,000 per year in sand cost and maintenance. The cost of the sand isn't necessarily the issue, it's the cost of shipping the sand on top of the cost of the sand.

Yup. Course closest to me did that as well. Also, the course I play when Im back in Mrs Helmets hometown did the same. Huge cost savings to the course.

My course just did an overhaul of all of the bunkers on the course, removed some, made others smaller, but redid the drainage and sand in all of them. The cost was HUGE between the raw materials needed to do it as well as the cost of labor. Bunkers are and will continue to be a very expensive item on any course, even more so as they age and no longer are as playable without being worked over regularly.

Played a course a lot last year that had zero bunkers ... can't say I missed them.

did they replace the bunkers with anything, i.e., long grass, a bunch of bushes, etc. to keep it as a hazard?

2 things have been bugging on the course lately. First is guys playing music. When did that become a thing? And why do the rest of us have to be subjected to it?

And 2 is hard bonkers with a lack of sand. Why is it so many courses have bunkers with very little sand? That seems like the easiest part of keeping a course. Just dump some sand in every once in awhile.

Anyhoo, that's all. Feel free to comment or call me a grumpy old man, especially since I just turned 36

Thankfully music on the course doesn't seem to have made its way to the UK yet.

I have to disagree with you on bunkers though. I'd much rather play out of a bunker with too little sand rather than too much. On the subject of bunkers, my pet peeve is people raking towards themselves thereby leaving little ridges where the rake stops. Rake from the edge to the centre of the bunker, away from yourself.

...and yes I am a grumpy old man.

Most of the places I've seen (and it wasn't many) were converted farm buildings or in one case the course happens to butt up against a village. In that case there's a row of poplar trees and quite a bit of rough (good blackberrying if you play at the right time of year, lol, not so good if your ball goes in there). Mind you there is the residential home that my club partially wraps around. Could be a great place to retire to but I'd want a gate in the fence and it's about as far from the club house as you can get. They have concerts a couple of times of year and since we've already mentioned music I have to say that playing golf to the sound of Tom Jones has little to recommend it :)

Someone once told me that shortly after he hooked the ball into the grounds of the home there was a cheer and 'It's not Unusual' started to play. Probably not true but quite funny :)

I went to the doctor recently and told him I keep bursting into song, Delilah, Green Green Grass of Home, What's new Pussycat. He told me I have Tom Jones Syndrome. I said "is it common?" he replied "its not unusual"

One of the nicer courses in the Chicago area Prairie Landing, which is an RTJ designed course, took out 64 of 127 bunkers on the course 3 years ago. Removing those bunkers saved them over $700,000 per year in sand cost and maintenance. The cost of the sand isn't necessarily the issue, it's the cost of shipping the sand on top of the cost of the sand.

Yup. Course closest to me did that as well. Also, the course I play when Im back in Mrs Helmets hometown did the same. Huge cost savings to the course.

My course just did an overhaul of all of the bunkers on the course, removed some, made others smaller, but redid the drainage and sand in all of them. The cost was HUGE between the raw materials needed to do it as well as the cost of labor. Bunkers are and will continue to be a very expensive item on any course, even more so as they age and no longer are as playable without being worked over regularly.

Played a course a lot last year that had zero bunkers ... can't say I missed them.

did they replace the bunkers with anything, i.e., long grass, a bunch of bushes, etc. to keep it as a hazard?

Basically long grass.

I have hardly seen music on the course in all my years playing. Maybe a couple of times, and always at twilight by guys in a cart drinking beer. I don't really mind it all that much if it's a rare occurrence. As long as they are listening to reasonably normal music.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

It's really bugging me that with his impending fatherhood merely days away, MTLJeff is posting more responsibly and rarely mentioning his wild days as a bachelor.

It will be even worse when in a few years I'm posting about playing golf with her and stuff. I'll have really jumped the shark at that point.

I'll be the one starting threads about being respectful to cart girls!!!! Instead of posting about keeping them in a well while listening to goodbye horses!

I don't even find THAT funny anymore.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique