Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

I would hate to think that his estrangements serve as fuel for the fire which is his golf success. It wouldn't be the first or last time that something other than pure love of the game motivates someone. Take Michael Jordan for example. I guess, as fans, we are to just enjoy the results and not dwell on the process that leads to those results.

Pretty sure that all that Alan Shipnuck did was ask about it. Seems like a fair question to me. I'm not judging Reed, or even Shipnuck. Just seems like a reasonable question. "Is it at all bittersweet (without your parents here) for you, as you take in this victory?" What if the answer had been a tearful, "Yes, and I'd like to now say to my parents that I'd like to get things right between us; life is too short and nothing has made that clearer to me than this achievement of a lifetime..." The answer could have been something else entirely, as well. But it really sort of is Shipnuck's job, to ask the question. Shipnuck could have asked about Reed hitting cut shots off the tee, or if he was fooled by the putt on 13, or how he read the putt on 12, but everybody else was already asking those.

And I think people should consider this; when somebody like Shipnuck meets with people like Reed's parents, the last thing that Alan should do before going to print is to go to the person who is the subject of the story and say, "I've met with your parents and I am getting ready to finish my piece. Before I do, I want to give you the chance to respond/reply/rebut/anything else you want."

And effectively, that is what Shipnuck did (in a polite way) with his question. He was giving Reed the last word. Or a chance at the last word.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, I'm not a Reed fan by any means but the lack luster, courtesy clapping after he won was really strange to me. Many didn't even seem to be clapping greenside. The dude beat Rory in the Ryder cup, handily holds him off as well as a push by others in the field to win the Masters. And all we're doing is talking about his family issues or what he did bad in his past?

What's the guy gotta do?

And don't forget that he relished going and playing in the Olympics for his country. He didn't hide behind that whole Zika thing that Jordan and Rickie used when they really just didn't want to go to Rio.

Yesterday was his day. He should have had his moment in the sunshine and save the negative stuff for a later time. He obviously has some demons and issues from his past, but he's worked hard to put it behind him and rebuild his life. I just feel bad for him that he wasn't embraced by the crowd around 18 and then he gets stupid questions about his family when he should be relishing the moment. There are some ugly souls in this world and yesterday it wasn't Patrick Reed.

Rickie not only went to the Olympics, he even got the Olympic rings tattooed on his arm. You're probably thinking of Rory

Man, I'm not a Reed fan by any means but the lack luster, courtesy clapping after he won was really strange to me. Many didn't even seem to be clapping greenside. The dude beat Rory in the Ryder cup, handily holds him off as well as a push by others in the field to win the Masters. And all we're doing is talking about his family issues or what he did bad in his past?

What's the guy gotta do?

And don't forget that he relished going and playing in the Olympics for his country. He didn't hide behind that whole Zika thing that Jordan and Rickie used when they really just didn't want to go to Rio.

Yesterday was his day. He should have had his moment in the sunshine and save the negative stuff for a later time. He obviously has some demons and issues from his past, but he's worked hard to put it behind him and rebuild his life. I just feel bad for him that he wasn't embraced by the crowd around 18 and then he gets stupid questions about his family when he should be relishing the moment. There are some ugly souls in this world and yesterday it wasn't Patrick Reed.

Rickie not only went to the Olympics, he even got the Olympic rings tattooed on his arm. You're probably thinking of Rory

Exactly. I remember Rickie being extremely excited about the Olympic experience. On a side note, it is extremely disappointing that it has gotten to the point that the main story is the off the course stuff after a guy just won the Masters with Rickie and Jordan making a pretty impressive run to take it from him. The issue between Reed and his family should stay between him and his family.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

I hate one-sided stories like this article. What if his parents really were bad people? Maybe it is his wife that's the problem? Maybe he tried to cheat, maybe he didn't? How many on here have hit a ball thinking it was theirs but it wasn't? I also don't like the anonymous sources in this case. If his teammates hated him that much why would they have a problem putting their name to an accusation? Tiger cheated on his family and people root for him (I do too). Remember when everyone on here though Tiger cheated on his drop when he put it in the water a few years ago at Augusta? What about Lexi and marking her ball? How many people like Aaron Rogers playing football? He doesn't talk to his family...the guy didn't even show to a friend's wedding where he was supposed to be the best man! Floyd Mayweather beat women. DJ was rumored to be on some booger sugar. I'm seriously wondering how many people rooted for Reed during the Ryder Cup, but all of a sudden he's not a good person to root for at the Masters. Interesting.

I would hate to think that his estrangements serve as fuel for the fire which is his golf success. It wouldn't be the first or last time that something other than pure love of the game motivates someone. Take Michael Jordan for example. I guess, as fans, we are to just enjoy the results and not dwell on the process that leads to those results.

Pretty sure that all that Alan Shipnuck did was ask about it. Seems like a fair question to me. I'm not judging Reed, or even Shipnuck. Just seems like a reasonable question. "Is it at all bittersweet (without your parents here) for you, as you take in this victory?" What if the answer had been a tearful, "Yes, and I'd like to now say to my parents that I'd like to get things right between us; life is too short and nothing has made that clearer to me than this achievement of a lifetime..." The answer could have been something else entirely, as well. But it really sort of is Shipnuck's job, to ask the question. Shipnuck could have asked about Reed hitting cut shots off the tee, or if he was fooled by the putt on 13, or how he read the putt on 12, but everybody else was already asking those.

And I think people should consider this; when somebody like Shipnuck meets with people like Reed's parents, the last thing that Alan should do before going to print is to go to the person who is the subject of the story and say, "I've met with your parents and I am getting ready to finish my piece. Before I do, I want to give you the chance to respond/reply/rebut/anything else you want."

And effectively, that is what Shipnuck did (in a polite way) with his question. He was giving Reed the last word. Or a chance at the last word.

I think that's exactly what he should have done instead of asking what was not an innocuous question at the presser. Reed can't have the last word or a chance at it if he doesn't know about the article, you are talking in circles here.

What's the guy gotta do?

How does anybody not know Rickie Fowler played in the Olympics?

More stuff being made up on these forums the last few days than usual.

I think that's exactly what he should have done instead of asking what was not an innocuous question at the presser. Reed can't have the last word or a chance at it if he doesn't know about the article, you are talking in circles here.

Reed assuredly knows about everything, and more, that was in that article. And Reed has plenty of opportunities, with the bully pulpit of a PGA Tour star, to tell his story if he wants to. And if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to. One of the options available to Reed is to do what he did at the presser; a complete non-answer. And later, on his own terms, go back to it to say what he wants. Or not. Say nothing, if he chooses. I'm sure any one of 100 golf writers would happily sit down with Patrick any time he wanted.

I saw some general questions in this thread about the light applause Reed was getting at Augusta.

I presume that there were a lot of UGa Bulldogs in attendance that close to Athens, and that they all remembered this:

https://www.sbnation...-notre-dame-hat

To be fair, Reed claims to be a long-time Notre Dame fan apart from his own collegiate history. Looks like his wife became a fan of the Fighting Irish too.

Reed assuredly knows about everything, and more, that was in that article. And Reed has plenty of opportunities, with the bully pulpit of a PGA Tour star, to tell his story if he wants to. And if he doesn't want to, he doesn't have to. One of the options available to Reed is to do what he did at the presser; a complete non-answer. And later, on his own terms, go back to it to say what he wants. Or not. Say nothing, if he chooses. I'm sure any one of 100 golf writers would happily sit down with Patrick any time he wanted.

You said he was giving Reed a chance at the last word - he absolutely wasn't. Your response has nothing to do with what happened and your attributing some sort of "opportunity" he afforded Reed to comment on the article isn't accurate unless Reed knows the article was forthcoming, hence couldn't have a comment that would be any kind of "last word". No use muddling things up trying to defend a journalist with an agenda.

You said he was giving Reed a chance at the last word - he absolutely wasn't. Your response has nothing to do with what happened and your attributing some sort of "opportunity" he afforded Reed to comment on the article isn't accurate unless Reed knows the article was forthcoming, hence couldn't have a comment that would be any kind of "last word". No use muddling things up trying to defend a journalist with an agenda.

A writer doesn't have to turn over an entire unpublished article to a subject. Few writers would do that. They would just want to give the subject a fair chance to tell their story. Reed refuses that, on a regular basis.

Opinion coming (take with a grain of salt): Based on the Facebook posts by his wife, his younger sister, and Shane Ryan's book, the narrative that Patrick had/has rage issues and they had concerns fits what we can see from the outside looking in. I think in Patrick's mind his dad tried fighting him over poor rounds but in reality it probably had more to do with his attitude and anger that probably resulted in the confrontation more so than his poor play. As a parent, I love seeing my kids have some fierceness and desire to do well but I would have a big problem with my kids being obnoxious asshats if things were not going well. I Patrick's final straw being his parents may not have liked his fiance nor liked him getting married at 22. What is hard for me to understand is he accused his sister of faking kidney surgery to try and get him back in her life?! Seriously, that is a lot of hate to not even reach out, whether fake or not, to see if your sister is OK.

Doesn't it seem a little odd that the Reed's still have "Patrick's bedroom" with trophies and all waiting for him to come home at this point? He's not away at camp.

depends on the circumstances that caused the split. As a parent it would have to be pretty bad to cut the cord with my child. Tough love is one thing but kids arent disposable. Unconditional love is something most have for their kids.

I don’t disagree, but at some point wouldn’t you convert the room into a place for his family?

I have a feeling that there is not a lot of sympathetic characters in any of this.

I saw some general questions in this thread about the light applause Reed was getting at Augusta.

I presume that there were a lot of UGa Bulldogs in attendance that close to Athens, and that they all remembered this:

To be fair, Reed claims to be a long-time Notre Dame fan apart from his own collegiate history. Looks like his wife became a fan of the Fighting Irish too.

Nice get 15th?

They look great!

Stay well and have a great season

My Best,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't know Reed or his parents. I don't know what kind of relationship they have and I don't really think anyone on here does either so I have nothing to add there. But, I will say this.. I had a strong dislike for him after his top 5 comment. Rooted against him in every tournament he was on the leaderboard. Until...

A couple of years ago I had clubhouse passes to the Bridgestone in Akron. There was a huge rain delay on Saturday and as you can imagine the clubhouse was packed with people trying to stay out of the rain. I was looking out of my little roped off area into the sea of people as pro after pro was being ushered through the crowds.. heads down with security surrounding them.. never looking at anyone as they passed.. headed to their locker room. Then, I look at the crowd and I see guess who? Patrick Reed. Kneeling down in the middle of everyone.. soaked from the rain.. talking to some little kids..signing autographs and taking pictures with anyone who wanted one. Smiling, laughing.. just hanging out. He probably stayed there 30 minutes or so before moving on. He was THE ONLY pro to do that. He didn't have to.. but he did. And that day changed everything for me with him. I said to myself.. "Oh sh$%, I have to like this guy now". And I do.. I root for him anytime he's in contention.

Shipcuck is nothing but a tabloid journalist. Reed is trying to take the high road by not airing his families dirty laundry in public and he get criticized for it?

Social media has ruined our culture I am afraid. I am sure there is plenty of blame to go around in the Reed family, but seriously why can’t we just keep focused on the Kardashians?

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I've seen Patrick Reed at several tournaments and he has always been extremely professional. He has always taken time to sign autographs for children and adults. When I saw him at the Barclays in NJ when his wife was still his caddie they worked together like true professionals. At the Presidents Cup his brother in-law/caddie was handing out commemorative poker chips to all the kids. The article is obviously one-sided. I can only judge Patrick Reed by what I've seen, he's a good guy in my book.

UGA fans are the worst!

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Is anyone else excited about how the USA Ryder Cup Team is starting to look like?

1 9 PATRICK REED 6,321.901 2 1 JUSTIN THOMAS 6,049.773 3 2 DUSTIN JOHNSON 4,918.739 4 3 JORDAN SPIETH 4,638.458 5 4 BUBBA WATSON 4,061.793 6 10 RICKIE FOWLER 3,738.197 7 5 BROOKS KOEPKA 3,464.658 8 6 PHIL MICKELSON 3,392.197 9 7 Matt KUCHAR 2,978.462 10 8 Brian HARMAN 2,724.508 11 12 Kevin KISNER 2,015.673

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

It's sad really that the guys personal life has to be brought up just to make people feel better about themselves

Who feels better about themselves over this? The whole story makes me sad. The thought of one of my sons cutting me off from the grandchildren (for no stated reason) makes me feel physically ill.

+1

My interest lies mostly in wondering what would cause him to cut off his family. It makes me feel better about myself in absolutely no way. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. It's a sad deal, honestly.

Lol. Way to take one line out of a whole paragraph. I'm saying that it makes people feel better finding a reason to dislike them other than just disliking him. Read the whole paragraph

You only wrote one sentence (that I saw, anyway). Look in the quote string.

No I was quoted in only one sentence. Read the thread and you will see I wrote well more than that. Thanks though

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

What's the guy gotta do?

How does anybody not know Rickie Fowler played in the Olympics?

More stuff being made up on these forums the last few days than usual.

The man literally has an Olympic tattoo on his arm. Hahahahaha

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

+1

My interest lies mostly in wondering what would cause him to cut off his family. It makes me feel better about myself in absolutely no way. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. It's a sad deal, honestly.

Lol. Way to take one line out of a whole paragraph. I'm saying that it makes people feel better finding a reason to dislike them other than just disliking him. Read the whole paragraph

You only wrote one sentence (that I saw, anyway). Look in the quote string.

No I was quoted in only one sentence. Read the thread and you will see I wrote well more than that. Thanks though

You're welcome.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I am not a fan of Reed, just because I don't particularly enjoy watching him play nor do I find him remotely interesting. No big deal.

I am sure there is a complicated story with his parents, but I certainly think it is odd that they've gone the route of making things public after his Masters win. How is that going to have any impact other than what's intended? Why can't they just reach out to him on their own? Letting media members get involved seems like a really strange thing to do.

They will stop writing it if we all collectively stop buying it. Reed won, it was a great three days to watch. That is why we watch golf, for the golf, not for a reality show. I dont care to hear about Mr.Reeds family, or any other golfers family. Honestly it is in poor taste to look into other peoples lives. They are golfers, who entertain us by playing a game very well. No where in that should we expect or want to know thier personel details. For the people who have responded with the golf is a game for gentleman type comments, gentleman dont gossip, and they dont seek the company of those that do. The man has children, why should the press drag this garbage out to embarass him on the day he won? Why should we support an enterprise that would do this? Who really benefits from this story? A simple congratulations, for a game well played was all that was in order. This is tabloid trash of the lowest calibar, not good for any sport or our culture in general.

I'm waiting for the day that one of his former "teammates" has the stones to put their name behind the cheating allegations, lol. The only thing more pathetic than hiding behind fake avatars and fictitious usernames is being included in an anonymous group of "former teammates," lmao

They might have wanted to respond to the question, but might not want the drama of dragging all of that up by throwing their name out there. Not that that's right, but that's my best guess. Or maybe they got badgered for a response. Who knows. The UGA stuff seems very hush hush. Or was this at Augusta? I can't recall. If these guys started all coming out of the woodwork complaining about Reed nonstop, they would be labeled as classless in all likelihood anyway.

The thing I find more concerning is that there doesn't appear to be any former teammates coming to his defense, for anything, at all. Well, it doesn't concern me so much as it doesn't really seem to speak particularly well of him at that time.

He doesn't strike me as someone who would act like an out and out jerk if I met him. I think Shane Ryan said as much, that he's a nice guy. His issues seemed to stem from a combination of competitiveness, social awkwardness, maybe some insecurity, etc when he was younger with guys his own age. I'm sure that will all erode over time. Right now I'm sure he thinks admitting much wrongdoing in his college years is still like showing some kind of weakness, or there's no point in going back there.

Unrelated to the above, this quote from Stenson in Shane Ryan's book cracked me up, because I can totally picture Stenson saying this:

Later in the year, when I told Henrik Stenson that Reed had included him in the "good friends" list, he laughed, and responded with his unique brand of dry, Swedish humor.

"I wouldn't say that we go way back," he deadpanned. "I played one practice round with him at Wells Fargo a couple years ago. And … well, it's nice if he thinks that everyone he knows a little bit is one of his friends. That's obviously a way to look at it. But if I'm going to express myself politically, I guess he's an interesting character."

Like many here, I think there are several different sides to Patrick's story, and it's none of my business for sure. It's a shame though, because one day Patrick's parents won't be around & he "might" feel differently then, & wish he'd made peace with them. Over the years, people grow up, & change, and what were major differences sometimes end up seeming pretty trivial. Patrick & Justine have a precious baby daughter who could be very much loved by her fraternal grandparents. She's the one missing out right now.

What is important at age twenty-whatever looks a lot different in your mid-30s...and is way different by mid-40s. The only good thing I’ve found about getting older is maturity (the aches and pains suck).

I don’t know what to make of this Reed business. I can overlook the distance from the parents; but how bad does stuff have to be to pull away from your baby sister? If we accept the premise that his parents were not ideal then I find it hard to believe, if whatever alleged abuse that occurred, that his sister had anything to do with it.

Several Tour players have relatives working for them. But the immersion of his wife’s family into his career and business is odd.

But you know what? It’s working. He has family on the road with him and just put on a Green Jacket. Whether Reed is loved or loathed by the fans and his peers....he’s got a place to have dinner every Tuesday of Masters week for the next 40-50 years.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade