Patrick Reed golf.com Story - A Must Read

williamsnrb

4) Patrick and Wife.......sometimes you have to take the high road. Do his parents deserve the treatment they are getting.....I don't know, maybe they do. But even if they do, it doesn't mean an olive branch can't be extended. Sometimes, even when you have been hurt (real or imagined) you have to be the bigger person and do what is right. One thing I have learned over time, family is not always right, they do hurtful stuff, but they are always family and your life will usually be better off with more people in our corner than not.

Β 

I love this "be the bigger person" bullxxxx that everyone likes to come out with. If someone is toxic in your life, you don't make excuses, enable, and allow them to continue to wreak havoc. Meanwhile, that party effectively gets away with whatever behavior? No way.

12.0 @ 11.25 Titleist 915D2 | Diamana M+ 50
16.5 @ 17.25 Titleist TSI2 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60

23.0 @ 22.25 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
7H 29.0 @ 28.0 Titleist TSI1 | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80HYB
6-P Titleist T100 | Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue AM2
50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, 62.08M Titleist Vokey SM8 | Nippon 850GH
Scotty Cameron SS Newport 1.5
Taylormade TP5

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Β 

Β 

So, why did you start this thread?

Β 

Because after reading that article, I wondered if anyone else had any insight to the situation. I find it fascinating that a person could disown his family and keep chugging along without apparent effect. So I figured there must be more to the story.

Β 

Your avatar looks like, "who me?, what did I do?"

I will take a stab here at trying to express my feelings on this.

Β 

1) I neither like nor dislike Patrick Reed. He is clearly a great golfer and I love the way he responded to the challenges that he had yesterday. Speith and Fowler make him win the tournament, not just back into it.3

Β 

2) Put yourself in the position of the "loving" parents and family. You have tried reaching out, you have tried following him and he has rejected you. You love your son so much, you care so much about him that you invite a reporter to a watch party knowing if he wins there will be a story about how wrong you have been treated? Seriously mom/dad/sister? You don't care about how he feels, you only care about how you feel. This (seems to me) is not about restoring a relationship with your son or seeing your grandchildren, this is about YOU. You have to know this is not going to help you in your quest to repair the relationship and I can nearly bet you this type of passive aggressive behavior is what caused Reed to be allowed to distance himself from you in the first place. Any parent who truly wanted to repair a relationship, would not invite a reporter to watch with them.

Β 

3) The US Open they got "removed" from. How many people were on the grounds that day? Couldn't you blend in? How did he or his wife even know you were there. If you were truly interested in watching him play golf, there is little doubt you could have stayed out of sight and been just as enjoyable. My assumption is, much like watching the final day of the Masters, you were not content with just seeing your son, you did something to make it about you.

Β 

4) Patrick and Wife.......sometimes you have to take the high road. Do his parents deserve the treatment they are getting.....I don't know, maybe they do. But even if they do, it doesn't mean an olive branch can't be extended. Sometimes, even when you have been hurt (real or imagined) you have to be the bigger person and do what is right. One thing I have learned over time, family is not always right, they do hurtful stuff, but they are always family and your life will usually be better off with more people in our corner than not.

Β 

5) I think the timing of this article stinks. People, journalist especially, seem to really dislike people who do not act or behave in a certain way. Reed chooses to be different. While he has no close friends on tour, you don't' hear the people who have spent (or at least I have not heard) significant time with him saying he is a bad person, they just say they don't know him. The guy just accomplished a huge goal, he won a major, and this is what we are talking about.

Β 

The whole thing reminds me of "Joe Dirt" where Joe finally figures it out.

Family dynamics are minefields for many families and extended families.

Β 

I suppose it was natural for someone to reach out to his parents and use this opportunity for what is basically a rehash of everything we've heard before, so I'm disappointed for any of them the press is into their lives, but that is the price of his celebrity and accomplishments.

Β 

He just looks so on edge, and seems to have so much internalized, even in his interviews after the tourney - hope he can find a way to just let go.

Β 

I just don't feel like I can judge any of them, don't know enough and honestly don't care if I ever do know their personal business.

Β 

And I suppose I shouldn't overlook the parents maybe reaching out to click bait hungry media as well. But, are they desperate because they feel their son has become estranged for reasons unrelated to them/is it their fault for other things that have happened/is it something significant or not? Who the heck knows. Again all you golf writers - I don't need to.

It's sad really that the guys personal life has to be brought up just to make people feel better about themselves

Β 

Who feels better about themselves over this? The whole story makes me sad. The thought of one of my sons cutting me off from the grandchildren (for no stated reason) makes me feel physically ill.

Β 

+1

Β 

My interest lies mostly in wondering what would cause him to cut off his family. It makes me feel better about myself in absolutely no way. I'm not even sure what you're talking about. It's a sad deal, honestly.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
(will swap 58 for 60 and a Vokey for the 2-iron as needed)
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Its unfortunate that Patrick Reed just accomplished something that millions of people dream about, and the story is going to become about his personality, his looks, his behavior when he was in college, and his family... instead of about his outstanding performance on golf's greatest stage.

Β 

It is guaranteed that there is much more going on with his family than any fan or media member will ever know and neither Patrick, his wife, or his family owe the public anything about it.

Β 

Unfortunately this is what we get when we allow the media to manipulate our society's sense of entitlement for clicks.

I know some people who have little to no association with their parents or other family members, for a variety of reasons.

Β 

Sometimes, the hardest thing a parent can do is support a child even if they disagree with what they are doing. I find it interesting that the article refers to Patrick getting married, and says "he was ONLY 22"....as if 22 is still a child or something.

Β 

If the marriage to this woman is truly the main reason for this family tension (which I find a hard time believing at all...theres gotta be more to this), the parents should have just said, "Patrick, you're are an adult. Even though this isnt the decision I would have made, I'll support you and help you wherever we can." This whole situation seems like a power struggle to me where Patrick's parents dont want to let him go, while Patrick wants to blaze his own path his own way. He's a true "loner" in every sense of the word, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Β 

As a friend of mine who watched their kid go to college this past fall told me - "Sometimes, you just gotta let 'em go and hope you raised them right."

Jesus man, that's just a brutal one sided character assassination. Being famous sounds horrible. And that's not to excuse anything he's allegedly done.

Β 

I think Shipnuck is a good writer. One of the very best in the business. I read this as a tough story; but not unfair.

Β 

There is a "Tiger Woods"-like element to this, which is that if the guy doesn't like the story(ies) being written about him, then do some interviews and explain yourself. Woods basically never did that; and neither has Patrick.

Β 

Of course, there is no law requiring Woods or Reed to do interviews, or open up about anything. But there is also no law against Alan Shipnuck writing stories.

Β 

Just because the guy won some golf tournaments doesn't mean he owes it to anyone to publish his personal demons and discuss everything negative thing people have to say about him on a national stage. And I have I very hard time respecting anyone who leaks a family's dirty laundry to the media and takes passive aggressive shots at a family member on social media to try to play the victim.

Β 

I don't say any of this to defend Reed or his actions. But some things are not any of the media's or general public's business.

Its unfortunate that Patrick Reed just accomplished something that millions of people dream about, and the story is going to become about his personality, his looks, his behavior when he was in college, and his family... instead of about his outstanding performance on golf's greatest stage.

Β 

It is guaranteed that there is much more going on with his family than any fan or media member will ever know and neither Patrick, his wife, or his family owe the public anything about it.

Β 

Unfortunately this is what we get when we allow the media to manipulate our society's sense of entitlement for clicks.

Β 

Yes, the whole thing, from the author writing the article on, seems low.

I came away from article feeling bad for his parents and sister. I actually like Reed from what he's done in Ryder Cup. USA team was too vanilla in years past. Justin leonard didn't even know how to celebrate, its embarrassing watching him and Lehman. You cant get to where Reed is at his age without support from parents, and now they are outcasts. As a father that would kill me.

I know some people who have little to no association with their parents or other family members, for a variety of reasons.

Β 

Sometimes, the hardest thing a parent can do is support a child even if they disagree with what they are doing. I find it interesting that the article refers to Patrick getting married, and says "he was ONLY 22"....as if 22 is still a child or something.

Β 

If the marriage to this woman is truly the main reason for this family tension (which I find a hard time believing at all...theres gotta be more to this), the parents should have just said, "Patrick, you're are an adult. Even though this isnt the decision I would have made, I'll support you and help you wherever we can." This whole situation seems like a power struggle to me where Patrick's parents dont want to let him go, while Patrick wants to blaze his own path his own way. He's a true "loner" in every sense of the word, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Β 

As a friend of mine who watched their kid go to college this past fall told me - "Sometimes, you just gotta let 'em go and hope you raised them right."

Β 

It's just the way everything is going down. Is his wife controlling? I don't know them so I can't make judgement.

Β 

I will say, it kinda seems weird that when she was caddying for him she took part in some of the trophy ceremonies (slightly less weird his wife with no golf experience was his caddy. Won't you want someone with as least some golf experience?). I get that that players and caddies are teams, but you would never see Speith or Fowler doing something like that, and Speith would probably tell you his caddy won the tourney's and much as Speith did.

I almost feel bad for the guy, to reach the pinnacle and this is all people have to say about the guy.

Β 

I feel sorry for all the people who can't just enjoy golf and be happy for Reed. I know I don't watch golf for the interviews or constantly pushed story lines, I want to watch good golf, no matter who it is, and think it's a great accomplishment for anyone who wins on tour, let alone the majors..

Β 

I enjoy good golf as much as the next guy. But backstories are intriguing to me. I enjoy hearing about a person's journey and how they arrived at their pinnacle.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Did anyone else read this? I knew a little about Reed's past, but didn't know all of this.

Β 

http://www.golf.com/...ex-mix-emotions

Β 

Sorry, all I got from this story was that Patrick Reed's wife is a controlling nutcase. Classic BPD behavior.

Β 

I'm not saying Reed's parents are angels, but there's nothing wrong with giving a young son advice about a woman he's about to marry. To turn around and then not invite them to the wedding, not allow them to see their grandchildren, is just insane. It's not normal human behavior.

Β 

You're using the jump to conclusions mat that the writer of the article clearly laid out for you.

Jesus man, that's just a brutal one sided character assassination. Being famous sounds horrible. And that's not to excuse anything he's allegedly done.

Β 

I think Shipnuck is a good writer. One of the very best in the business. I read this as a tough story; but not unfair.

Β 

There is a "Tiger Woods"-like element to this, which is that if the guy doesn't like the story(ies) being written about him, then do some interviews and explain yourself. Woods basically never did that; and neither has Patrick.

Β 

Of course, there is no law requiring Woods or Reed to do interviews, or open up about anything. But there is also no law against Alan Shipnuck writing stories.

Β 

Just because the guy won some golf tournaments doesn't mean he owes it to anyone to publish his personal demons and discuss everything negative thing people have to say about him on a national stage. And I have I very hard time respecting anyone who leaks a family's dirty laundry to the media and takes passive aggressive shots at a family member on social media to try to play the victim.

Β 

I don't say any of this to defend Reed or his actions. But some things are not any of the media's or general public's business.

Β 

I'll assume you are referring to his sister's social media comments. But those actually came in response to ones posted earlier by Patrick's wife, who called his family "sick" and claimed that they "abused him verbally and physically." So if you "have a hard time respecting anyone who leaks a family's dirty laundry...."

Β 

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/golf/1742463/ryder-cup-star-patrick-reeds-family-feud-boils-over-on-facebook-as-sister-accuses-him-of-being-horrible-stranger/

Β 

I love this "be the bigger person" bullxxxx that everyone likes to come out with. If someone is toxic in your life, you don't make excuses, enable, and allow them to continue to wreak havoc. Meanwhile, that party effectively gets away with whatever behavior? No way.

Β 

Β 

I don't disagree at all. If they are toxic, he should stay away. I personally feel like there is something there and believe the way the parents behave is evidence.

Β 

But if not toxic, and if it is something that can be mended, it might make sense to. I don't know anything about this relationship, but I do know it should not be played out in the media.

Being a hard worker, 'work loner', and great golfer aside...

Β 

...sounds like the wife and her side of the family saw his potential and sunk their teeth in before their cash cow could slip away. I'm sure there's more to the story, though.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 / G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

A couple of things...

Β 

1) 2 years after my mother passed away, my father met a woman that then proceeded to slowly make my father distance himself from his family. He developed brain cancer and long story short, a lot of his estate went to her. I have 3 siblings. So I can relate. If a spouse drives their spouse away from their family, 99% of the time, this is NOT a good thing.

Β 

2) I have several contacts on the PGA tour. There are 3 players that are universally disliked: Kevin Na, Rory Sabatini, and at the VERY top of the list... Patrick Reed.

Β 

Now on the flip side.... you will not find a single tour player that has ANYTHING negative to say about Jordan and especially Ricky.

Β 

Β 

I was pulling for everyone else. To the very last putt.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

It's just the way everything is going down. Is his wife controlling? I don't know them so I can't make judgement.

Β 

I will say, it kinda seems weird that when she was caddying for him she took part in some of the trophy ceremonies (slightly less weird his wife with no golf experience was his caddy. Won't you want someone with as least some golf experience?). I get that that players and caddies are teams, but you would never see Speith or Fowler doing something like that, and Speith would probably tell you his caddy won the tourney's and much as Speith did.

Β 

Steve Stricker still has his wife on his bag for many of his events, and did for a lot of early years on Tour as well before they had children. I think its just a comfortability factor....for some people, that's the most important thing in life with the people you associate with - you are comfortable around them. Nothing toxic. No bad feelings.

Β 

I still remember at the Greenbrier a few years back Strick standing on the tee of a par 3 hole in between clubs, and it was caught on a mic - "Gosh, I dont know what to do here..." His wife on the bag responded: "I wish I could help you, but I can't." Everyone got a good chuckle, Strick stood up there and nearly aced the hole. Point is, at that moment, she knew what to say and how to say it. Patrick kind of said the same thing about his wife when she caddied for him in the article.

Β 

From Patrick's point of view, the relationship between him and his family is just toxic, and Patrick has made the decision to just remove himself from it. Maybe years down the road they will reconcile. But if Patrick's focus right now is his own family and his professional life, he's not going to want to deal with a toxic relationship, even if it his with his family.

Sad. Just sad.

Β 

Let us not be hypocrites. "For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged...

Β 

None of us are without blemish -- in life or the game of golf. Do we really think Patrick is the only card holder with a suspect past? His unpopularity should not make him a target while others' popularity serves to shield them.

The fact that this story was queued up and ready to go minutes after the victory tells some something is not right with the family. They had reporters at the house and a Masters party going on? Sounds totally staged. My guess is they are after his money.

Β 

All that shows to me is that Alan's a good journalist and that this story has been developing for a long, long time.

The story said his family "wasn't welcome" at Augusta. Does that imply that they were somehow banned? And having them escorted out of the US Open --- how does his wife have that authority? If they have tickets and as long as they aren't harassing Patrick or Justine and there's no restraining order or anything. Just seems weird that they would be able to do that.

Β 

I, too, thought that was very strange. I'm not sure how they have the ability to have someone tossed from a public event when they have tickets, not harassing anyone, etc.

Β 

Didn't JT just have a fan tossed for saying "mean" things about him that actually had nothing to do with him personally at all?

Β 

Yup, and I thought that was over the line, too. JT even came out and said he shouldn't have done that. If the patrons are there legally and not harassing anyone, they should have the right to stay.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I can relate a bit, I got married at 23, my wife was almost 3 years older, and divorced, and Protestant. My mother was a very conservative old-school Catholic, this did not go over well. She almost didn't come to the wedding and looked like she really didn't want to be there in the few pictures we have. It was almost more the family was cutting me out than the other way around. But it softened when we had kids, I couldn't ever see not letting the grandparents see the grandkids, at least in my situation.

Β 

And as far as Reed's personality, to be honest, sometimes being a bit self-centered it what it takes. He has great confidence in himself, and does not seem to care what others think about him, much like his idol, and probably Ben Hogan too. Almost a bit of being on the Autistic spectrum with the ability focus so intensely. I was pulling for Ricky Fowler, but you know, if he had a bit more of that sort of personality, maybe he would have a major by now, who knows. And as for "youthful indiscretions", remember even Bob Jones battled demons when he was young, maybe Patrick will learn....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX ZipcoreΒ  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Β 

Β 

So, why did you start this thread?

Β 

Because after reading that article, I wondered if anyone else had any insight to the situation. I find it fascinating that a person could disown his family and keep chugging along without apparent effect. So I figured there must be more to the story.

Β 

Your avatar looks like, "who me?, what did I do?"

Β 

It's a meme. But, yea, that's basically the meaning of it.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

Did anyone else read this? I knew a little about Reed's past, but didn't know all of this.

Β 

Β 

Sorry, all I got from this story was that Patrick Reed's wife is a controlling nutcase. Classic BPD behavior.

Β 

I'm not saying Reed's parents are angels, but there's nothing wrong with giving a young son advice about a woman he's about to marry. To turn around and then not invite them to the wedding, not allow them to see their grandchildren, is just insane. It's not normal human behavior.

Β 

You're using the jump to conclusions mat that the writer of the article clearly laid out for you.

Β 

I think his point is, though, if that's the incorrect story, I wish we could know it. Not that Reed owes us that - he doesn't. But if that's all the public knows, it is a one-sided situation.

917D3 9.5 Rogue Black
917F3 15 Diamana Blue
818H2 19 Tensei Blue
Mizuno MP14 2
Mizuno MP4 4-9
Vokey SM7 46, 50, 54, 58
Edel 60
Custom Scotty Newport 2
or
Scotty X5R

I enjoy watching Patrick Reed and like him more than most. There's also a ton of smoke around his personal life, the whole thing is weird. His brother in law as caddie, his mother in law as manager while his entire side of the family is cut out, the acrimonious split with Callaway, the way fellow players speak about him, etc. If you can't at least find it interesting and think we should only worry about what happens between 1 and the putt falls on 18, then a lot of players will be out a lot of sponsorship money.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Steve Stricker still has his wife on his bag for many of his events, and did for a lot of early years on Tour as well before they had children. I think its just a comfortability factor....for some people, that's the most important thing in life with the people you associate with - you are comfortable around them. Nothing toxic. No bad feelings.

Β 

I still remember at the Greenbrier a few years back Strick standing on the tee of a par 3 hole in between clubs, and it was caught on a mic - "Gosh, I dont know what to do here..." His wife on the bag responded: "I wish I could help you, but I can't." Everyone got a good chuckle, Strick stood up there and nearly aced the hole. Point is, at that moment, she knew what to say and how to say it. Patrick kind of said the same thing about his wife when she caddied for him in the article.

Β 

From Patrick's point of view, the relationship between him and his family is just toxic, and Patrick has made the decision to just remove himself from it. Maybe years down the road they will reconcile. But if Patrick's focus right now is his own family and his professional life, he's not going to want to deal with a toxic relationship, even if it his with his family.

Β 

I understand your point, but Nicki's (Steve's wife) father and brother were/are players the PGA tour, so there is at least some lineage.

Β 

Also, quick google search of "Steve Stricker's wife", I can see pictures of her caddying, but none of her even holding a trophy (sans family shot or President's cup). Google "Patrick Reed's Wife" and she's touching a lot of trophies (just saying).

Now ive read a lot about patrick reed, obviously thats reading about him, i dont know him personally. I cannot, and none of us can fully state all of the facts on these details.

Β 

However i wanted to comment because the argument that this doesnt matter and that we should just relax and admire the way he played at augusta is a pretty awful argument. How can we ignore a guy that gets stories like this and kicked out of Georgia, the top five comment? Etc. I cant ignore the stuff in his life that make me root for a guy, or even beyond rooting for a guy, respecting him.. I cant fully wrap my head around my opinion of Patrick Reed quite yet, how he played yesterday was impressive, but I also can’t ignore how I noticed this from the article yesterday...

Β 

Β 

β€œGolf fans have picked up on the bad juju that has long followed Reed. Even though the Masters is in a town to which he brought so much golf glory, the crowd was never on his side on Sunday. The feeling around the 18th green when he won was subdued to the point of being awkward.”

Driver - Who knows!?

Ping G430 3WΒ  15@14 Ventus Black 8X

Taylormade TPMC 2011 3-4 X100

Titleist 716MB 5-PW X100

Ping Glide 3.0 50, 55, 60 SS X100 50-55, S400 60

Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossie 36" CB

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I don't know the truth in this situation, but I think it needs to be pointed out the issues all seem to have occurred before he got married when he would have been much more under the influence of his parents. We should think about that before labeling his wife as controlling. Maybe the situation with his family was so bad this was the only solution. It's sad for all involved, but may have been the only thing that worked.

Β 

I'm always suspicious of those who take to social media to air their grievances & look for sympathy. Patrick isn't talking (& I don't blame him) so only one side of the story is out there for the public.