2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Removing your hat at end of round

A lot of guys who think it's necessary after the round , are the ones who leave it on in the clubhouses, so? And don't mind if I fist bump you with my glove hand after your three trips to the woods to piss.

Things must be different in US. In Australia, hats are always removed before entering the clubhouse. I've played at clubs where wearing a hat in the clubhouse incurs a penalty of shouting a drink to everyone in the club. Removing your hat before shaking hands after a round is also a show of respect adopted by the majority of golfers.

It's a modern-day affectation; posers are imitating behaviours they may have seen on tv over the past few years. Old Tom Morris would have laughed. Tell me where you found it in the Etiquette section of the Rules of Golf.

The rules of golf refer to the rules of etiquette in life. And that is no longer taught.

Social mores are always changing.

http://www.vintag.es/2016/09/how-to-be-good-wife-in-1950s.html

Still too many preaching too many "absolutes".

You clearly have never served.... The cover will be worn when outdoors at all times, unless specified in a war zone.

Completely respect the military. But we're not talking military here, we're talking about a round of golf. We don't salute on the golf course either.

...But I do hit the ball - Left...Right...Left...Right....

Well played!!

While some on the forum may try to rewrite history here's more contradictions to absolutes and those that claim it's always been done...

BDP5, in picture 1 from the looks of it that's Nelson? and definitely Hogan. Hogan has obviously removed his hat.

in picture 2 Snead and Hogan are starting on the 1st tee, and I'll bet a million dollars that's at The Riv, they are not finishing on the 18th green.

and in picture 3 i'm pretty sure a kid with the braces and t-shirt on was not Hogan's playing competitor that day, so IMO it's a nothing burger.

:D

The very old pictures are hard to validate accuracy, but I posted enough photographic evidence to illustrate it historically was mixed and not absolute. eg. Palmer v Nicklaus, Nicklaus v Trevino, Stewart v Janzen, Stewart v Phil. Hat removal is far more prevalent today. (The young kid shaking hands with Hogan was his Caddie)

I'll do it if I meet someone for the first time, played with strangers or loose or business acquaintances or a tournament. League and with my buddies, NO--- no one does it. Sure removing a hat is a gesture of respect, but not removing is not a gesture of disrespect, except in certain situations... the 18th green is not one of those situations.

But as others said, it's kind of a meaningless gesture but not absolute either. I'd rather show respect for people and reciprocate by looking someone in the eyes and saying "Nice meeting you and nice golfing with you today." And in everyday life do things such as saying please and thank you and holding doors for not only women but other men --- these are much stronger gestures of kindness and respect.

It seems pretty simple to me, if you are pitching or seeking reasons to not simply remove your hat at the end of a round and shake hands why wouldn't you rather err on the side of better judgement?. I own my home and when I cross the threshold I remove my hat, I don't know why other than I would catch a world of s**t if I didn't do it in the home where I was brought up in. I love the values and etiquette I was brought up with and I have passed them on to my children as they were passed to me. And for all you pansies that are concerned about the hygiene aspect grow a pair.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Rules of Golf

Section I - Etiquette; Behavior on the Course

Introduction

This section provides guidelines on the manner in which the game of golf should be played. If they are followed, all players will gain maximum enjoyment from the game. The overriding principle is that consideration should be shown to others on the course at all times.

The Spirit of the Game

Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

Safety

Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.

Players should not play until the players in front are out of range.

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such situations is "fore."

Consideration for Other Players

No Disturbance or Distraction

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

On the Putting Green

On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

Scoring

In stroke play, a player who is acting as a marker should, if necessary, on the way to the next tee, check the score with the player concerned and record it.

Pace of Play

Play at Good Pace and Keep Up

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

Be Ready to Play

Players should be ready to play as soon as it is their turn to play. When playing on or near the putting green, they should leave their bags or carts in such a position as will enable quick movement off the green and towards the next tee. When the play of a hole has been completed, players should immediately leave the putting green.

Lost Ball

If a player believes his ball may be lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, to save time, he should play a provisional ball.

Players searching for a ball should signal the players in the group behind them to play through as soon as it becomes apparent that the ball will not easily be found. They should not search for five minutes before doing so. Having allowed the group behind to play through, they should not continue play until that group has passed and is out of range.

Priority on the Course

Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term "group" includes a single player.

Care of the Course

Bunkers

Before leaving a bunker, players should carefully fill up and smooth over all holes and footprints made by them and any nearby made by others. If a rake is within reasonable proximity of the bunker, the rake should be used for this purpose.

Repair of Divots, Ball Marks and Damage by Shoes

Players should carefully repair any divot holes made by them and any damage to the putting green made by the impact of a ball (whether or not made by the player himself). On completion of the hole by all players in the group, damage to the putting green caused by golf shoes should be repaired.

Preventing Unnecessary Damage

Players should avoid causing damage to the course by removing divots when taking practice swings or by hitting the head of a club into the ground, whether in anger or for any other reason.

Players should ensure that no damage is done to the putting green when putting down bags or the flagstick.

In order to avoid damaging the hole, players and caddies should not stand too close to the hole and should take care during the handling of the flagstick and the removal of a ball from the hole. The head of a club should not be used to remove a ball from the hole.

Players should not lean on their clubs when on the putting green, particularly when removing the ball from the hole.

The flagstick should be properly replaced in the hole before the players leave the putting green.

Local notices regulating the movement of golf carts should be strictly observed.

Conclusion; Penalties for Breach

If players follow the guidelines in this section, it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee considers taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions. This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines.

In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

------------------

Where, oh, where, does the Rules of Golf say sweet FA about hats and sunglasses?

Do what you like, but please refrain from projecting your own fantasies about golf etiquette on others.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Rules of Golf

Introduction

This section provides guidelines on the manner in which the game of golf should be played. If they are followed, all players will gain maximum enjoyment from the game. The overriding principle is that consideration should be shown to others on the course at all times.

The Spirit of the Game

Golf is played, for the most part, without the supervision of a referee or umpire. The game relies on the integrity of the individual to show consideration for other players and to abide by the Rules. All players should conduct themselves in a disciplined manner, demonstrating courtesy and sportsmanship at all times, irrespective of how competitive they may be. This is the spirit of the game of golf.

Safety

Players should ensure that no one is standing close by or in a position to be hit by the club, the ball or any stones, pebbles, twigs or the like when they make a stroke or practice swing.

Players should always alert greenstaff nearby or ahead when they are about to make a stroke that might endanger them.

If a player plays a ball in a direction where there is a danger of hitting someone, he should immediately shout a warning. The traditional word of warning in such situations is "fore."

Players should always show consideration for other players on the course and should not disturb their play by moving, talking or making unnecessary noise.

Players should ensure that any electronic device taken onto the course does not distract other players.

On the teeing ground, a player should not tee his ball until it is his turn to play.

Players should not stand close to or directly behind the ball, or directly behind the hole, when a player is about to play.

On the Putting Green

On the putting green, players should not stand on another player's line of putt or, when he is making a stroke, cast a shadow over his line of putt.

Players should remain on or close to the putting green until all other players in the group have holed out.

Scoring

In stroke play, a player who is acting as a marker should, if necessary, on the way to the next tee, check the score with the player concerned and record it.

Pace of Play

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group's responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

Be Ready to Play

Players should be ready to play as soon as it is their turn to play. When playing on or near the putting green, they should leave their bags or carts in such a position as will enable quick movement off the green and towards the next tee. When the play of a hole has been completed, players should immediately leave the putting green.

Lost Ball

If a player believes his ball may be lost outside a water hazard or is out of bounds, to save time, he should play a provisional ball.

Players searching for a ball should signal the players in the group behind them to play through as soon as it becomes apparent that the ball will not easily be found. They should not search for five minutes before doing so. Having allowed the group behind to play through, they should not continue play until that group has passed and is out of range.

Priority on the Course

Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group's pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term "group" includes a single player.

Care of the Course

Bunkers

Before leaving a bunker, players should carefully fill up and smooth over all holes and footprints made by them and any nearby made by others. If a rake is within reasonable proximity of the bunker, the rake should be used for this purpose.

Players should carefully repair any divot holes made by them and any damage to the putting green made by the impact of a ball (whether or not made by the player himself). On completion of the hole by all players in the group, damage to the putting green caused by golf shoes should be repaired.

Players should avoid causing damage to the course by removing divots when taking practice swings or by hitting the head of a club into the ground, whether in anger or for any other reason.

Players should ensure that no damage is done to the putting green when putting down bags or the flagstick.

In order to avoid damaging the hole, players and caddies should not stand too close to the hole and should take care during the handling of the flagstick and the removal of a ball from the hole. The head of a club should not be used to remove a ball from the hole.

Players should not lean on their clubs when on the putting green, particularly when removing the ball from the hole.

The flagstick should be properly replaced in the hole before the players leave the putting green.

Local notices regulating the movement of golf carts should be strictly observed.

If players follow the guidelines in this section, it will make the game more enjoyable for everyone.

If a player consistently disregards these guidelines during a round or over a period of time to the detriment of others, it is recommended that the Committee considers taking appropriate disciplinary action against the offending player. Such action may, for example, include prohibiting play for a limited time on the course or in a certain number of competitions. This is considered to be justifiable in terms of protecting the interests of the majority of golfers who wish to play in accordance with these guidelines.

In the case of a serious breach of etiquette, the Committee may disqualify a player under Rule 33-7.

------------------

Where, oh, where, does the Rules of Golf say sweet FA about hats and sunglasses?

Do what you like, but please refrain from projecting your own fantasies about golf etiquette on others.

Then FFS leave your hat on

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

Rules of Golf

Introduction

The Spirit of the Game

Safety

On the Putting Green

Scoring

Pace of Play

Be Ready to Play

Lost Ball

Priority on the Course

Care of the Course

Bunkers

------------------

What matters is not what I do or what you do . . . what matters is that you and others seem to be self-appointed hall monitors, but it's been clearly demonstrated that you haven't a leg to stand on.

Just because some guys on tv exhibit some transient behaviour is meaningless. This recent phenomenon of "hatting" is just an affectation. Next thing you know they'll be "hugging it out" on the 18th green.

So, do what you like, but judging others by some artificial standard is goofy. :swoon:

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

I prefer no hat and only sunglasses unless I'm walking a course. I do not remove sunglasses, but would a hat when I wear one.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I played at a 'hat's off in the grill room' club recently. One of the members told a story of what they apparently thought was a club taking it too far. They were asked to remove their hat to purchase something at another courses halfway house. That course considers the roof that overhangs the edge of the outdoors halfway house to be a no hat zone. I have to wonder if that member would have thought I wasn't going far enough when I didn't remove my cap at the end of the round hand shake.

What makes it too far and what makes it not far enough? There are many opinions on that. It's just the people that feel their way is the only proper way that make me uneasy with players/courses in general. However, I am fairly certain for many places/players that is the intent.

I played at a 'hat's off in the grill room' club recently. One of the members told a story of what they apparently thought was a club taking it too far. They were asked to remove their hat to purchase something at another courses halfway house. That course considers the roof that overhangs the edge of the outdoors halfway house to be a no hat zone. I have to wonder if that member would have thought I wasn't going far enough when I didn't remove my cap at the end of the round hand shake.

What makes it too far and what makes it not far enough? There are many opinions on that. It's just the people that feel their way is the only proper way that make me uneasy with players/courses in general. However, I am fairly certain for many places/players that is the intent.

That is just simply ridiculous. And what I absolutely hate about golf.

Rules of Golf

Introduction

The Spirit of the Game

Safety

On the Putting Green

Scoring

Pace of Play

Be Ready to Play

Lost Ball

Priority on the Course

Care of the Course

Bunkers

------------------

What matters is not what I do or what you do . . . what matters is that you and others seem to be self-appointed hall monitors, but it's been clearly demonstrated that you haven't a leg to stand on.

Just because some guys on tv exhibit some transient behaviour is meaningless. This recent phenomenon of "hatting" is just an affectation. Next thing you know they'll be "hugging it out" on the 18th green.

So, do what you like, but judging others by some artificial standard is goofy. :swoon:

I am not judging others, and I fully concede that it is at the players discretion whether they remove their hat or not. I personally like the gesture but do not feel wronged if its not reciprocated. I think I have been doing it so long it has just become automatic like saluting an officer when I was in the military.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters

Rules of Golf

Introduction

The Spirit of the Game

Safety

On the Putting Green

Scoring

Pace of Play

Be Ready to Play

Lost Ball

Priority on the Course

Care of the Course

Bunkers

------------------

I am not judging others, and I fully concede that it is at the players discretion whether they remove their hat or not. I personally like the gesture but do not feel wronged if its not reciprocated. I think I have been doing it so long it has just become automatic like saluting an officer when I was in the military.

Fair enough. :)

Rules of Golf

Introduction

The Spirit of the Game

Safety

On the Putting Green

Scoring

Pace of Play

Be Ready to Play

Lost Ball

Priority on the Course

Care of the Course

Bunkers

------------------

Whenever I saw officers coming I usually crossed the street so I wouldn't have to salute. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Rules of Golf

Introduction

The Spirit of the Game

Safety

On the Putting Green

Scoring

Pace of Play

Be Ready to Play

Lost Ball

Priority on the Course

Care of the Course

Bunkers

------------------

Whenever I saw officers coming I usually crossed the street so I wouldn't have to salute. :)

LMAO, I have done that too.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Too many putters

You clearly have never served.... The cover will be worn when outdoors at all times, unless specified in a war zone.

Completely respect the military. But we're not talking military here, we're talking about a round of golf. We don't salute on the golf course either.

Then Hawkeye never should have thrown up a pic of Ike in uniform... My comment was directed at a pic of a general shaking hands with the President on a military base.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Then Hawkeye never should have thrown up a pic of Ike in uniform... My comment was directed at a pic of a general shaking hands with the President on a military base.

Fair enough. Then neither the picture or comment are relevant to this particular discussion.

But my main question Skydiver. You said you would feel disrespected if someone didn't take off their hat to shake hands post round. If you've been out there with them for four(ish) hours and they have been an ideal playing companion, is that one gesture after the round really going to offset the good that has happened during the round?

Fair enough. Then neither the picture or comment are relevant to this particular discussion.

But my main question Skydiver. You said you would feel disrespected if someone didn't take off their hat to shake hands post round. If you've been out there with them for four(ish) hours and they have been an ideal playing companion, is that one gesture after the round really going to offset the good that has happened during the round?

Good question... probably not. I'll amend my original comment, If I take the time to take off my hat and glasses on the 18th green, and my playing partners do not.... I should not take it as a sign of disrespect to me... its on them.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

As I'm usually the single added to a group, I'll typically just follow what the group does. That said, sometimes they come at me too quick while I've got full hands juggling putter, ball, and such and then I'm lucky just to get the hand out for a shake.

I played as a single and joined a twosome last night. Both of the guys I joined were in their early 60's. One guy took his hat off and the other guy didn't. I removed my hat.

Men raised with manners take off hats when shaking hands, don't typically piss in the trees, and wash their hands after visiting the restroom.

But I agree, some people were raised without manners, so are not aware of what's proper. They might artificially remove their hat though thinking that's the correct way to end the round, even though they may have pissed in the trees; least they try.

Unless someone was a member of a private club, they wouldn't necessarily know about removing hats in private clubhouses. Manners are not economic based. Most public course grill rooms don't care one way or another, so its no surprise hat removal is likely based on someone's orientation. I remove my hat regardless. My last two private clubs and all private clubs I have played restrict hat wearing in clubhouses. Also, after golf, most members visit the restroom to wash up before heading to the grill room with hat in hand. Some more modern private clubs, however, do allow wearing hats in the grill room, depends on club culture.

Those with manners don't judge others.

Judging the behavior of a person as right from wrong is my religious and Constitutional right as a Catholic man. Nothing to do with a hat on or off, yes sir, no sir, thank you, open door manners. Sorry, but you seem to have missed that when growing up. I just judged you as not knowing the difference. Good luck with that. :beach:

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Men raised with manners take off hats when shaking hands, don't typically piss in the trees, and wash their hands after visiting the restroom.

But I agree, some people were raised without manners, so are not aware of what's proper. They might artificially remove their hat though thinking that's the correct way to end the round, even though they may have pissed in the trees; least they try.

Unless someone was a member of a private club, they wouldn't necessarily know about removing hats in private clubhouses. Manners are not economic based. Most public course grill rooms don't care one way or another, so its no surprise hat removal is likely based on someone's orientation. I remove my hat regardless. My last two private clubs and all private clubs I have played restrict hat wearing in clubhouses. Also, after golf, most members visit the restroom to wash up before heading to the grill room with hat in hand. Some more modern private clubs, however, do allow wearing hats in the grill room, depends on club culture.

Those with manners don't judge others.

Judging the behavior of a person as right from wrong is my religious and Constitutional right as a Catholic man. Nothing to do with a hat on or off, yes sir, no sir, thank you, open door manners. Sorry, but you seem to have missed that when growing up. I just judged you as not knowing the difference. Good luck with that. :beach:

That certainly marks the end of rational debate. :swoon:

Uh-oh, Pepper using you know what to kill the thread.

Just say Tiger, that usually works faster.

Much like the commercial, "When EF Hutton speaks, people listen"

Here, when PepperTurbo speaks, people...........!

I'll let others fill in the blank.

Cute.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Uh-oh, Pepper using you know what to kill the thread.

Just say Tiger, that usually works faster.

Much like the commercial, "When EF Hutton speaks, people listen"

Here, when PepperTurbo speaks, people...........!

I'll let others fill in the blank.

Cute.

Careful now! Pepper may butt that Cuban out on the brim of your hat! :rofl: