Removing your hat at end of round

I was taught how to golf by my grandfather, this included taking off your hat and glasses at the end of the round to shake hands. I don’t think it’s disrespectful not to do it, I don’t care if the people I play with keep their hat on or not. It’s a force of habit at this point for me and I’ll continue doing it but I’m not about to tell anyone it’s the right thing to do or something that needs to be done. 

With COVID still going on I wouldn’t be surprised if this tradition has mostly died out by now. 

• Like 3

On 4/9/2018 at 8:55 AM, monkeyboy said:

Is this tradition outdated?

I typically just leave my hat on and shake the hands of the folks I played with. To me, there is no lack of or increased 'respect' shown by the hat move.

but tradition = remove your hat before shaking hands.

I assume that the older generation will view not removing your hat as blasphemy.

But I am 'older' generation as well - I just view it as a silly gesture that means nothing...in the same vein as saying "bless you" when someone sneezes, crossing yourself whenever you pass by a church, holding your breath when you pas by a cemetery...all silly.

I do still hold the door for others, open my wife's car door first, allow others to go ahead of me in situations...but removing your hat after a round...nope.

What say you?

(Possible Larry David moment to ensue)

Yes, I still do.  If I'm wearing sunglasses I take those off too; for me it's a sign of mutual appreciation and respect.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

On 4/9/2018 at 3:48 PM, SnapHooker_307 said:

I am a fellow millennial also destroying the country, I also take my hat off at the end of the round to shake hands. I don't remember even learning to do it, just always have. Always make sure to wash the laundry detergent off your hands with a towel first.

I’m also a 36 year old millennial that is the cause of all the problems and I’ve always taken my hat off since I was a junior.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

10 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I’m also a 36 year old millennial that is the cause of all the problems and I’ve always taken my hat off since I was a junior.

31 here and ruining the economy with avocado toast and cold brew. I've played sports all my life and was probably chewed out when I was a kid for being a sore loser. So I've always shown respect for my fellow competitors and opponents, even if I was close to throwing hands I'll shake hands at the end of the match. It's not hard to do but being a round of casual golf it's a show of respect for an enjoyable round. 

• Like 4

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

46 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

31 here and ruining the economy with avocado toast and cold brew. I've played sports all my life and was probably chewed out when I was a kid for being a sore loser. So I've always shown respect for my fellow competitors and opponents, even if I was close to throwing hands I'll shake hands at the end of the match. It's not hard to do but being a round of casual golf it's a show of respect for an enjoyable round. 

But do you take your hat off or leave it on in the grill room? 🤣

I didn't even know it was a thing until I read this post.  I guess I may have peripherally noticed it at the end of rounds on TV with the pros.  Joined a private club about a month ago (first time joining any club).  I've been out 8 times so far and I haven't seen a single person remove hat at end of round when shaking hands (or bumping fists).  I have a couple times (since I read this) and have been left twisting in the wind.  I like it, but I don't see people doing it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I think the point is that it was never a tradition - but a rather recent American affectation from the late 90s.  There was a good article in the WSJ journal in 2007:

"The probable explanation for how this new custom began is, not surprisingly, television. In the olden days, pros like Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Johnny Miller didn't routinely wear caps (mostly they did so only when it was cold or raining), so hat-doffing was uncommon. Nowadays, however, virtually every pro on Tour wears a cap, primarily because their sponsors pay them to, and the television audience for golf is far larger than ever before. Henry Hughes, the PGA Tour's longtime chief of operations, pegs the increase in ritualized hat-doffing on the 18th green to 1998 or 1999. That was when the "new breed" of business-savvy young pros, including Tiger Woods, began to recognize such moments as the branding opportunities they are, and consequently transmitted the hat-doffing bug into the public bloodstream."

But I guess youngsters have never known anything else and so think it was always there, and that is fine.  But to suggest it's some ancient ritual of chivalry or show of respect is a bit silly - its just a habit that people got into by copying the pros who did it for purely commercial reasons.  I keep mine on as I have a head that no one really wants to see in all its glory, and because it can cause a stir with small brained opponents - and that is always fun

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, SJ West said:

its just a habit that people got into by copying the pros who did it for purely commercial reasons

Does anyone have friends who, when they raise their sunglasses, pivot them around so the logo on the front of the cap is still visible?  I'm pretty sure they're not getting paid to wear that logo.

• Haha 1

I've rarely pulled off my hat, and rarely my glasses. Be it a casual round with someone I pair with, a member of my club when I was with a club, or a best friend who plays 120 rounds a year with me.

I have played with people who do, and I don't mean any disrespect, nor do find anyone to think that in all my years.

Not to say I haven't done it to conform, to perhaps the group, or the situation. I've played some relatively exclusive places, in a very very business like atmosphere, and have taken the hat and glasses off to shake hands with mostly complete strangers, and caddies. You do it to conform to the moment, much like you don't wear the hat into the locker room, the mens grill, etc.

Some places allow it, and I'll do it.

I mean... do you show up in your golf shoes, or change them in the parking lot? Some people get hung up on the silly stuff, rather getting outside and having fun playing, learning, or meeting new people.

I always take my hat off to shake everyone’s hand at the end of a round, I’m 31. 

I take my hat off before I even reach for the door handle to go inside; bar, pro shop, locker room, anywhere. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

Pre-Covid I'd take the cap off and shake hands but I'm not shaking anybody's hand right now. I don't even like bumping fists nowadays. I lean and talk away from my cart-mate.

A 66 year old in my group, fully vaccinated, got Covid a little over a week ago. Very mild symptoms and 10 days later he's back playing golf and feeling well, thank goodness.

I'm fully vaccinated as well but I'm in a high risk group and I don't even want to chance "mild symptoms".

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

• 3 weeks later...

I still don't get it. Nobody has ever mentioned it to me and I don't recall anybody taking a hat off after a round.

I always thank the guys I am paired with being solo 90% of the time. But I fail to see how my headgear is of any disrespect.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

I only take my hat off after a round of golf when I'm playing with strangers/people I don't know/just met.  Between friends and family, it's hats on and a fist bump. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I'm fine with taking off your cap to shake hands. I'll do it sometimes, but not always. I don't place any association of the practice to "showing respect". It's just a golf ritual that I'll sometimes partake in and sometimes not. No more no less.

One big request for those that do - stop running your shaking hand hand through your sweaty hair! That is disrespectful. If you need to straighten out your hair, do it with your other hand, please.

Edited by dubbelbogey
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/6/2021 at 11:58 AM, Amps said:

Taking off your shades and making eye contact is far more important, as is a proper grip during the hand shake, make sure you mean it. Nothing worse than a limp handshake. If you want to show me respect, mutual or otherwise, learn how to park your car so I don't have to climb back in through the trunk. 

One of my old college professors used to say "when shaking hands, no dead fish!"

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I don’t remove my hat, but I will remove my sunglasses to look them in the eye as we leave.  I no longer shake hands due to covid, I’ll give them a fist bump.

Ping G430 LST 9*, Ka’ili White 60

TM Qi10 15*, Ventus TR Blue 60
Ping G430 19* hybrid, Kai’li White 80
Callaway Apex 21 4-AW, Pro Modus 3 Tour 120
Titleist SM9 52* F, Titleist SM10 58* D

Cameron Phantom X 11, 2021
Titleist ProV1

I haven't even thought about it in years.  My Dad was a big one on etiquette.  No hats indoors, etc. But he was born in 1921, Pacific Campaign and occupation of Japan vet. A bonafide member of the Greatest Generation. They were a lot more civilized than we are today. 

Edited by Esox
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/13/2021 at 11:34 AM, Snakster said:

I didn't even know it was a thing until I read this post.  I guess I may have peripherally noticed it at the end of rounds on TV with the pros.  Joined a private club about a month ago (first time joining any club).  I've been out 8 times so far and I haven't seen a single person remove hat at end of round when shaking hands (or bumping fists).  I have a couple times (since I read this) and have been left twisting in the wind.  I like it, but I don't see people doing it.

Same here, I think it would have taken me a great more time until I realize this all by myself,, and I wouldn;t have minded much but now that "garyt" pointed out when someone takes it off AND runs their hand through their sweaty hair to then shake hands yep, not a very pleasant thing to happen. 

I notice a lot of players taking their hat off only because that's what they see the pros do. The same as putting the sunglasses on behind the hat, as another mentioned. Or, folding your glove a certain way and putting it in your pocket. Anyone see amateurs plumb-bob their putter? I'd bet anything more than half doing it are clueless.

Four hours on the course tells you enough about those you are playing with. No need to remove your hat after finishing. 

I like the post about how this somehow caught on with the pros around 1998-99. It shows how this caught fire as some type of courtesy, when it really means nothing.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 3:13 AM, donnygolf said:

I notice a lot of players taking their hat off only because that's what they see the pros do. The same as putting the sunglasses on behind the hat, as another mentioned. Or, folding your glove a certain way and putting it in your pocket. Anyone see amateurs plumb-bob their putter? I'd bet anything more than half doing it are clueless.

Four hours on the course tells you enough about those you are playing with. No need to remove your hat after finishing. 

I like the post about how this somehow caught on with the pros around 1998-99. It shows how this caught fire as some type of courtesy, when it really means nothing.

The term "you go in hat in hand" comes from ancient times where if you had your hat in your hand, it was a signal you wouldn't pull your sword.  Just like clinking cheers was a way to show you had not poisoned the drink.  Maybe it means nothing to you, but the idea of removing your hat does have roots in something.

The fact it changed about 20 or so years ago is interesting, but at the end of the day, you either do or you don't.

But if removing your hat means you are running your hand through your hair before shaking hands, I'm with those who are solid pass.  At least run your other hand through your hair.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...