Low Ratings

I like watching the LPGA. I have a daughter that plays high level golf. The problem is more people are interested in watching the Memorial with Tiger than they are the LPGA. There aren't enough American woman to garner viewership of the product they are selling. I think the LPGA business model is a poor one. To support the LPGA they need American viewership. They aren't going to have it when there is never an American female in contention. Fact of the matter is there are too many foreign woman on the LPGA for Americans to have any real interest in the product they are selling.

I also think that most people in the golf world realize that these woman are good. However, Web.com, Collegiate Male Players, high level junior boy's are still better than this product.

Funny, but the last time I looked at the men's world rankings half of the players were non-American. More than half the top 20 are foreign.

'Must be really hurting the PGA to have Justin Rose, Rahm, Rory, Jason, and Hideki stealing TV time from the yanks.

heavyhitter is right and the ratings have been reflecting that for a while. Fight it all you want, the truth is the truth.

The big problem is that women don't watch sports to near the degree men do. Plain and simple.

Rightly or wrongly, guys see women's sports as women doing what they can do. Layups and jumpshots and bounce passes in basketball. Hitting 240 off the tee. There's no appeal on TV to "shooting a 67" from the LPGA because it's a cumulative effect of not a lot of excitement. There's no DJ pounding it unheard of distances. Sure they make putts, but unless the pressure is on(last few holes of a tournament), that's not great TV(see the complaints whenever a network shows putt after putt after putt on the men's broadcasts.)

But the question I've never had answered is, why is there never a question about why aren't women supporting this? They're over 50% of the population. What is the breakdown in this forum of the regular posters? Seems to me it's still mostly men. But for TV men aren't interested in numbers large enough to get ratings. Where are the women?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, women don't golf. It's estimated that 19% of golfers are women. Based on my experience, I think that's way too high. Many that golf don't watch it on TV.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Sadly, women don't golf. It's estimated that 19% of golfers are women. Based on my experience, I think that's way too high. Many that golf don't watch it on TV.

I can attest tho this as well. My wife loves golf and enjoys watching it, but she is usually the only woman in tournaments we go to - which is hilarious for other reasons. Largely it is - as many know here - a cultural thing. There is a small market in the US for women's sports in general, and the cost of playing golf limits access to many early on in their childhood. Sure, there are opportunities, but it's much easier to pick up a basketball or soccer ball instead of a club. Plus - yes I'm biased - golf is one of the most difficult sports out there, so it requires paitence and commitment. My wife regrets not starting up the game before her 30s.

But I do think the LPGA does a good job encouraging kids to participate and get involved, especially girls. I can't speak to this first hand, just my perception.

But the question I've never had answered is, why is there never a question about why aren't women supporting this? They're over 50% of the population. What is the breakdown in this forum of the regular posters? Seems to me it's still mostly men. But for TV men aren't interested in numbers large enough to get ratings. Where are the women?

Agree....women themselves are also to blame for the lack of interest in the LPGA

Yes...if one looked at the weekly tee sheets...IMO....19% is too high....maybe 10% at most.

BUT.

With a fairly large population of golf obsessed Koreans here.....19% might be the % for women golfers here where many Koreans frequent.

It's crazy how many Koreans are out playing golf here.

The Korean population here might represent 5%...yet some courses here seem like there is easily 50%+ of Korean players....the Se Ri Pak effect.

df80047b1f95790e930f6a706700b8f5.jpg

Rather watch the LPGA than any other Tour. Champions Tour(they have had their turn making money)should shut down and give the sponsor money to the LPGA. Another reason the ratings are low, is FOX has no business broadcasting golf! They are terrible, sorry. Don't like seeing the scoreboard all the time. I want to see golf! I prefer other broadcasters.

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

Rather watch the LPGA than any other Tour. Champions Tour(they have had their turn making money)should shut down and give the sponsor money to the LPGA. Another reason the ratings are low, is FOX has no business broadcasting golf! They are terrible, sorry. Don't like seeing the scoreboard all the time. I want to see golf! I prefer other broadcasters.

The Habs S*CK! :taunt:

Tie Domi forever.....obviously I like the fighting in hockey.

Perhaps Muni He can add some Q ratings to the LPGA if she continues to win on Symetra tour.

I'd watch her play for sure.

Refresh my memory. Does a Symetra victory guarantee a card for next season, or is is it strictly based on earnings?

Edit: It's the top 10 money earners. A win certainly helps a player climb the money list.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

If The Golf Channel would replace Judy Rankin with Paige Mackenzie I would enjoy the LPGA coverage more. Judy’s time has passed in the booth as far as I’m concerned. They need a younger players perspective ~

If it's time for Judy to go, at least get an ex-player that has a few wins. I don't think anything is gained by an analyst handing out advice when they never won, and barely had a top ten.

If The Golf Channel would replace Judy Rankin with Paige Mackenzie I would enjoy the LPGA coverage more. Judy's time has passed in the booth as far as I'm concerned. They need a younger players perspective ~

If it's time for Judy to go, at least get an ex-player that has a few wins. I don't think anything is gained by an analyst handing out advice when they never won, and barely had a top ten.

To each his or her own, but I really enjoy Judy on the broadcast.

If The Golf Channel would replace Judy Rankin with Paige Mackenzie I would enjoy the LPGA coverage more. Judy's time has passed in the booth as far as I'm concerned. They need a younger players perspective ~

I agree regarding Rankin, but finding a replacement is problematic. It's essential that the alternative be a woman with LPGA win credibility. Also, getting a younger player perspective may be challenging since many are Koren's that lack TV camera personalities.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

Throwing Anika or Helen Alfredsson or Lori Kane (assuming some LPGA Nobilo/Faldo/IBF type equivalent) in there in place of Judy (For the record I am on TeamJudy) isn't going to make a lick of difference.

The sport is where it is.

Apart from competitions with national teams, the North American sport-viewing public has time and again shown they don't view women's sports as anything other than a minor diversion.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Perhaps Muni He can add some Q ratings to the LPGA if she continues to win on Symetra tour.

I'd watch her play for sure.

Refresh my memory. Does a Symetra victory guarantee a card for next season, or is is it strictly based on earnings?

Edit: It's the top 10 money earners. A win certainly helps a player climb the money list.

Also, three Symetra Tour wins in a season means instant promotion to the LPGA Tour.

Let's all cross our fingers for two more wins...

I agree regarding Rankin, but finding a replacement is problematic. It's essential that the alternative be a woman with LPGA win credibility. Also, getting a younger player perspective may be challenging since many are Koren's that lack TV camera personalities.

I don't think what holding back (or up) LPGA ratings is that it's announcers have LPGA win credibility. If they put Paige Spirinac out there, ratings would jump.

I agree. 19% is too high. And if you asked about frequency (ex. 5 times a month) that number is even lower.

Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.

I guess it begs the question as to what constitutes a golfer? Someone who has played a single round in the past year? Past month? Week? I agree that 19% of total rounds played would be overly optimistic.

Doesn't the USGA or whatever body/company does these stats have a super super low bar for identifying a golfer?

Was it twice a year or something like that?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I agree. 19% is too high. And if you asked about frequency (ex. 5 times a month) that number is even lower.

We're still talking golf, right :rofl:

Throwing Anika or Helen Alfredsson or Lori Kane (assuming some LPGA Nobilo/Faldo/IBF type equivalent) in there in place of Judy (For the record I am on TeamJudy) isn't going to make a lick of difference.

Apart from competitions with national teams, the North American sport-viewing public has time and again shown they don't view women's sports as anything other than a minor diversion.

Annika is painful to listen to. I was a huge fan of Helen Alfredsson the golfer, but she was a bust in the broadcast booth.

Hmmm... Christine Kim would be a hoot. And there are certainly some over-the-(professional)-hill blondes who could use a graceful way out of professional golf.

Also Team Judy here--I do wish the Judy of a few years back could just go on forever. She is visibly slowing down.

Regarding low ratings for the LPGA, they don't get any help from non-GC media outlets. Look at what S.Y. Kim did at Thornberry last weekend and then go look for coverage. Even those that gave it a little ink buried it underneath tons of other stories not nearly as historic. If Jordan Spieth had broken those records it would have been plastered front page everywhere. Maybe the American media feels the same as those narrow minded fans that aren't interested if it isn't an American player doing amazing things. Last time I checked I couldn't find anyone that got to choose their birthplace.

Annika is painful to listen to. I was a huge fan of Helen Alfredsson the golfer, but she was a bust in the broadcast booth.

Hmmm... Christine Kim would be a hoot. And there are certainly some over-the-(professional)-hill blondes who could use a graceful way out of professional golf.

Also Team Judy here--I do wish the Judy of a few years back could just go on forever. She is visibly slowing down.

Ya I was just off the top of my head thinking of no-longer-playing-pros with pedigree. I actually quite like Karen Stupples, but you get the sense either an American or a 'bigger name' would be required.

I concur Judy is slowing down, hell she's 73! All the PGA broadcasters are put out to pasture way earlier than that.

TBH, back in the limited channel days of the mid 90s when I started getting into golf, Judy, along with a non-past it Peter Alliss/Mike Tirico partnership at the Open Championship was my favorite golf viewing. Heck the Open still is, but less keen on the broadcasters these days.

F.T.

Regarding low ratings for the LPGA, they don't get any help from non-GC media outlets. Look at what S.Y. Kim did at Thornberry last weekend and then go look for coverage. Even those that gave it a little ink buried it underneath tons of other stories not nearly as historic. If Jordan Spieth had broken those records it would have been plastered front page everywhere. Maybe the American media feels the same as those narrow minded fans that aren't interested if it isn't an American player doing amazing things. Last time I checked I couldn't find anyone that got to choose their birthplace.

I don’t think it’s fair to say the media only cares about Americans. They care plenty about Conor McGregor, Usain Bolt, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Neymar, Ronaldo, etcetera. The LPGA has many disadvantages. One, there’s no real fan support to speak of. Two, there are no colorful personalities. And three it’s a women’s league which automatically puts them at a disadvantage making the first two I mentioned very important if you want to get mainstream coverage. If ESPN did a long piece on SY Kim’s record performance people would turn the channel in droves and that’s all that really matters when it comes to who and what gets coverage.

I don't think it's fair to say the media only cares about Americans. They care plenty about Conor McGregor, Usain Bolt, Roger Federer, Rafa Nadal, Neymar, Ronaldo, etcetera. The LPGA has many disadvantages. One, there's no real fan support to speak of. Two, there are no colorful personalities. And three it's a women's league which automatically puts them at a disadvantage making the first two I mentioned very important if you want to get mainstream coverage. If ESPN did a long piece on SY Kim's record performance people would turn the channel in droves and that's all that really matters when it comes to who and what gets coverage.

ex 5 times a month? With Mrs. Pelz maybe every 5 years.

I don't know if it would happen just because she is an American, but I'm certain that Michelle Wie would have gotten the coverage had it been her instead of SY Kim. The lack of coverage was pitiful regardless of the reasons. Asian media outlets cover the LPGA very well and their good players are rock stars at home. Fan interest is/can be generated by exposure. The buried stories about SY Kim's accomplishments certainly don't help the LPGA and I think it is sad that the vast majority of golf fans in this country probably don't even know what happened last weekend. I don't have the factual knowledge to speak to the "no real fan support" statement but I have spent a lot of time around the LPGA and there are definitely colorful personalities within the sport. I will agree that they aren't being utilized advantageously. So, what a sad situation it is if the reason is simply that they are women.