Low Ratings

While this doesn't serve as an overall explanation for lack of viewership, you can write a research paper about that, I'm really surprised no one has mentioned that the LPGA delivers a boring product week-to-week with few exceptions.

1. The course setups are generally too easy and it really diminishes the skill level of the longer players (Lexi, Angel Yin, SH Park, Brooke Henderson, to name just a few of the better ball strikers). It's simply not very stimulating to watch most tournaments decided by who putts the best that week.

2. Very few of the host courses are memorable, or inspire golf fans to want to play there. Understandably, economics are at play here and Mike Whan can't snap a finger and get a place like Riveria on the rota, but the tour did see an uptick in ratings when they played at Wilshire CC, not to mention the fact that the players themselves were enthusiastic about the venue.

3. Mike the players and caddies. Find some way to provide "insider access" that helps differentiate their product from the PGA Tour.

Your #3 idea is a really good one. Though they may need to hire translators for many, and time delay it when D. Kang or Pettersen are miked. I volunteer for the Japanese players if anyone from the LPGA is reading. My service fees are reasonable.

The Former Commissioner Bivens was trying to get players to live tweet during the round. That idea did not fly with many players.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While this doesn't serve as an overall explanation for lack of viewership, you can write a research paper about that, I'm really surprised no one has mentioned that the LPGA delivers a boring product week-to-week with few exceptions.

1. The course setups are generally too easy and it really diminishes the skill level of the longer players (Lexi, Angel Yin, SH Park, Brooke Henderson, to name just a few of the better ball strikers). It's simply not very stimulating to watch most tournaments decided by who putts the best that week.

2. Very few of the host courses are memorable, or inspire golf fans to want to play there. Understandably, economics are at play here and Mike Whan can't snap a finger and get a place like Riveria on the rota, but the tour did see an uptick in ratings when they played at Wilshire CC, not to mention the fact that the players themselves were enthusiastic about the venue.

3. Mike the players and caddies. Find some way to provide "insider access" that helps differentiate their product from the PGA Tour.

Your #3 idea is a really good one. Though they may need to hire translators for many, and time delay it when D. Kang or Pettersen are miked. I volunteer for the Japanese players if anyone from the LPGA is reading. My service fees are reasonable.

The Former Commissioner Bivens was trying to get players to live tweet during the round. That idea did not fly with many players.

Gad, can you imagine that train wreck? "We got put on the clock because Kerr was slow-playing us while tweeting about her wine..." :cheesy: No offense meant to Kerr.

At least with a mic the player isn't doing anything different than they would normally do, no? The learning opportunities for viewers would be good though, to see how each player attacks a pin, or does not.

Not so much an issue of nationalities but rather personalities for me. There are few 'personalities' that I am drawn to on television. Could be cool cats in the flesh, but the coverage is often lacking. Spent 10 minutes watching on Sunday, as the Memorial was finished early, and turned the channel. Many of the putting routines annoy me.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I just don't think many people are into the LPGA. I fear it's not considered real golf by the majority of viewers.

I think there is some truth to this. My wife hates when I watch the LPGA. "Why is that?" "Because, it's just not real golf."

I agree. I seldom watch LPGA. My wife plays to a 12, and her golf friends are similar with a few single digit women. None of them speak much or watch the LPGA. None of my friends watch it, and neither do I.

Don't know that I'd say LPGA tournaments are not real golf. But have played venues after the LPGA left and find them real easy. Fact is LPGA has struggled on an off for a long time. Given the TV viewership and gallery size, I understand if corporate corridor doesn't see fit to step up to a multi-year sponsorship deal. Beginning of the end????

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

The LPGA made a huge mistake when they instituted their dress code. It may drive feminists crazy but it’s much easier to get men to watch when the attractive gals dress sexy. Then after the men are watching they start to appreciate the skill. Same thing with Tennis but their commissioner didn’t ruin it for everyone. Personally, I immediately stopped watching after the dress code was implemented on the principal that I won’t be influenced by crazy feminists.

I think dominated is a strong word. Seven PGA tournaments have been won by non-Americans this year.

http://www.espn.com/golf/schedule

I don't know where you get your numbers from. This season on the PGA there have been 31 tournaments. Americans have dominated those tournaments by winning 22 of them. That is a 71% win percentage.

I said this year, not this season. Just the the LPGA, nobody gives two shakes about the rollover season before January.

Approximately 65% of the PGA players are American. Winning 71% of the tournaments doesn't seem statistically significant. Certainly not what I would consider dominating.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The LPGA made a huge mistake when they instituted their dress code. It may drive feminists crazy but it’s much easier to get men to watch when the attractive gals dress sexy. Then after the men are watching they start to appreciate the skill. Same thing with Tennis but their commissioner didn’t ruin it for everyone. Personally, I immediately stopped watching after the dress code was implemented on the principal that I won’t be influenced by crazy feminists.

Lol. The net affect on the players has been practically nil, as the vast majority of players were already in compliance. Michelle Wie is no longer wearing collarless racerbacks. She now wears collared racerbacks. Ooooh.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I saw in the op the uswo ratings but there has been no mention of what the men's ratings typically are for comparison. Sorry to say but the women's sports are seem to always be niche sports in television.

WNBA has terrible ratings and is mostly Americans. Does that shoot down that theory for the low women's golf ratings? Not sure the clothing ban had an impact either. Beach volleyball ratings are not every good either.

Bottom line those of us that enjoy watching televised golf are a rare breed.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Lol. The net affect on the players has been practically nil, as the vast majority of players were already in compliance. Michelle Wie is no longer wearing collarless racerbacks. She now wears collared racerbacks. Ooooh.

It’s way more than racerbacks.

Racerback with a mock or regular collar are allowed (no collar = noracerback)

Plunging necklines are NOT allowed.

Leggings, unless under a skort or shorts, are NOT allowed

Length of skirt, skort, and shorts MUST be long enough to not see your bottom area (even if covered by under shorts) at any time, standing or bent over.

Appropriate attire should be worn to pro-am parties. You should be dressing yourself to present a professional image. Unless otherwise told “no,” golf clothes are acceptable.

Dressy jeans are allowed, but cut-offs or jeans with holes are NOT allowed.

Workout gear and jeans (all colors) NOT allowed inside the ropes

Joggers are NOT allowed

Ratings are way down yr/yr. You’re kidding yourself if you think it’s simply a coincidence?

I wouldn't read too much into the ratings this past week. As has been covered exhaustively, it was on lolFS1 and Fox. I nearly decided to forcibly remove my eardrums while watching Saturday's coverage due to the omnipresence of Joe Buck.

The LPGA is doing a lot of things right. Tournaments are up, purses up, good crowds. The players are personable and relatable. I realize that not everyone enjoys the product but I'd much rather watch the LPGA than men's golf outside the majors and a handful of other events with a history.

Length of skirt, skort, and shorts MUST be long enough to not see your bottom area (even if covered by under shorts) at any time, standing or bent over.

Appropriate attire should be worn to pro-am parties. You should be dressing yourself to present a professional image. Unless otherwise told “no,” golf clothes are acceptable.

Joggers are NOT allowed

Ratings are way down yr/yr. You’re kidding yourself if you think it’s simply a coincidence?

All you did was copy and paste the new rules. How about naming the players who had to make changes because of the new rules? Who no longer wears plunging necklines? Who had to lengthen their skirt?

Please post the stats showing that ratings are way down year to year.

My viewing was cut off before I could even see the end of the round for local baseball. That was annoying. Bummer that the ratings were this low, I enjoy watching the LPGA for not only the good looking girls, but their game is more relatable to mine. I wont ever hit my 7 iron 200 yards like the men do and they are great to watch, but I find the course management a little more interesting when I watch the LPGA because their course lengths are similar to where I play.

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

I saw in the op the uswo ratings but there has been no mention of what the men's ratings typically are for comparison. Sorry to say but the women's sports are seem to always be niche sports in television.

WNBA has terrible ratings and is mostly Americans. Does that shoot down that theory for the low women's golf ratings? Not sure the clothing ban had an impact either. Beach volleyball ratings are not every good either.

Pretty easy to understand I would think right? Golf is about as low as it gets comparing sports. Women's sports are viewed less than men's sports. Add those 2 together and you get an LPGA tour that is forced to reach out to and spend it's limited resources on courting fans from other countries that will bite the hook more readily than Americans will. Short of fights breaking out mid round, there's nothing that can help with domestic viewership. Any women's sport that can't or won't reach out to the entire globe for $$$$$, will die on the vine in the US without being heavily subsidized. Doesn't make it right, but that's how it is.

Joggers are NOT allowed

What I'm saying is that practically no player on the tour was wearing those things before the new standards were released. The tour was apparently attempting to nip things in the bud before it became an issue. Net result, I've seen no changes in the clothing worn by the players since the new standard went into affect except for Michelle's racerbacks.

Ratings are down for most TV shows because they're based on live audiences, and practically nobody watches shows live anymore. Between time shifting and cord cutting, the days of live TV are numbered.

Bivens scared off big name sponsors like Wendy's and ADT and other American sponsors that went Kaput during the financial crisis like SemGroup and Stanford.The tour for a couple of years in 2009-2010 probably solely lived off the Korean TV rights. Rory, Sergio, Adam Scott,Jason Day, Justin Rose, Henrik Stenson and Hideki aren't American yet any group with any 3 of the above mentioned would draw more of a crowd than Chris Stroud,Bo Van Pelt, and Johnson Wagner.

Truth is the LPGA could move all its events to Asia and Mike Whan and Co. would probably still have a job.

I think dominated is a strong word. Seven PGA tournaments have been won by non-Americans this year.

http://www.espn.com/golf/schedule

I don't know where you get your numbers from. This season on the PGA there have been 31 tournaments. Americans have dominated those tournaments by winning 22 of them. That is a 71% win percentage.

I said this year, not this season. Just the the LPGA, nobody gives two shakes about the rollover season before January.

Approximately 65% of the PGA players are American. Winning 71% of the tournaments doesn't seem statistically significant. Certainly not what I would consider dominating.

Good thing you aren't a stats genius. Americans winning 22/31 events is dominating.

So far this year there have been 23 events. Americans are 14/23 for a 61% clip. In the golf world, that is still dominating.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

Americans know that WNBA is inferior to NBA and collegiate basketball at most levels. You could even take high level boy's AAU teams and they would dominate a WNBA team. Same thing goes with the LPGA. You can take high level high school boy's and they will beat woman on the LPGA. While the woman on the LPGA play golf at a higher level than a scratch male, they don't play it better than the best male counterparts playing tournament golf at high levels, even high school boy's.

The men's European Tour seems to have the right idea. They know they can't compete with the PGA Tour so they have introduced different formats such as GolfSixes and a ShotClock.

The LPGA should do something similar and have about 10 tournaments be something other than 54 or 72 hole individual stroke play. How about...

• Stableford
  • Skins game
  • Shot Clock
  • GolfSixes
  • Speed Golf
  • Par 3 course
  • Scramble
  • Play with fewer than 14 clubs

I would love to see a one-club, three-club, five-club, or seven-club tournament. (Full disclosure: I always play a half-set, give or take a couple of clubs.)

Maybe start with 7-clubs and then add incentives- add a club for every birdie, 2 clubs for eagle, three for albatross until they get to 14 and subtract a club for every bogey or worse until they're left with just one club.

As it is now, hardly anyone's watching and it'd be fun to mix it up.

Good thing you aren't a stats genius. Americans winning 22/31 events is dominating.

So far this year there have been 23 events. Americans are 14/23 for a 61% clip. In the golf world, that is still dominating.

When a group consisting of 65% Americans wins 61% of the tournaments, it's far from dominating.

When a group consisting of 65% Americans wins 61% of the tournaments, it's far from dominating.

One could argue that Americans are not even winning their fair share. 65 being greater than 61 and what have you.

I think the biggest mistake here was the timing of the tournament. As has been already mentioned, many of even the most tuned in golf watchers did not know the tournament was even happening, much less that it was on Fox, because the advertising for it was so poorly executed.

If the event was happening the week after the USO, giving Fox a chance to regularly advertise that the USWO was happening the following weekend, there would have been a much better chance for success. Just a self-defeating scheduling whiff by the USGA, in my opinion.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"

The men's European Tour seems to have the right idea. They know they can't compete with the PGA Tour so they have introduced different formats such as GolfSixes and a ShotClock.

The LPGA should do something similar and have about 10 tournaments be something other than 54 or 72 hole individual stroke play. How about...

• Stableford
  • Skins game
  • Shot Clock
  • GolfSixes
  • Speed Golf
  • Par 3 course
  • Scramble

I would love to see a one-club, three-club, five-club, or seven-club tournament. (Full disclosure: I always play a half-set, give or take a couple of clubs.)

Maybe start with 7-clubs and then add incentives- add a club for every birdie, 2 clubs for eagle, three for albatross until they get to 14 and subtract a club for every bogey or worse until they're left with just one club.

I watched the LPGA for many years and this is a sure fire way to lose me as a fan. If you wanna turn your league into a gimmick, I have no interest in supporting it. A team and a match play event, I can live with, actually I love match play but that cuts off too many players from competing to be done more that once.

Again IMO the LPGA has to be a leader in the new media world coming at us. They gotta invest and take control of producing their own content. It's not that sports networks don't wanna air the LPGA it's that the have no desire to produce the coverage needed to air it. If you film, record and produce the broadcast and deliver it to networks and all they had to do was sell advertising and press play, there would be many willing to take 3-4 hours of broadcast from Thurs to Sun. during the summer months when there is a content shortage. Also money you could make from a streaming subscription sold globally to individuals.

People have mentioned the WNBA, here's the truth about the WNBA or more importantly the American market. The WNBA season runs from May to September. Outside those months the top WNBA players go to China, Russia and Europe, to make the real money that they can't make in the US of A. Maybe it's time to quit focusing where people don't care (US) and concentrate on places where people do show some interest

LOL.... you are making things up as you go along.

The PGA Tour consists of a season, not a year. Americans this season have won at a 71% clip. In any sport, that is called dominating.when you win over a 60% clip. You are conveniently stating the beginning of the year. What does the beginning of the year have to do with anything?

2016-2017 Season Americans won 36/51 events for a win percentage of 71%. Your telling me that isn't dominating? The rest of the world won 29% of the events on the PGA.

Americans know that WNBA is inferior to NBA and collegiate basketball at most levels. You could even take high level boy's AAU teams and they would dominate a WNBA team. Same thing goes with the LPGA. You can take high level high school boy's and they will beat woman on the LPGA. While the woman on the LPGA play golf at a higher level than a scratch male, they don't play it better than the best male counterparts playing tournament golf at high levels, even high school boy's.

When watching women's sports it does not pay to look at it that way. Think of it as a completely different sport and watch the best of the game. At least that's my view. If I watch the ladies play golf I don't think about how DJ would dominate the event.

So what????

Some would say they don't watch the web events for the same reason. Put the web players on a tour event and vice versa and the ratings would not switch without the name recognition. There is very little difference between the tours talent level.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

• Stableford
  • Skins game
  • Shot Clock
  • GolfSixes
  • Speed Golf
  • Par 3 course
  • Scramble

I watched the LPGA for many years and this is a sure fire way to lose me as a fan. If you wanna turn your league into a gimmick, I have no interest in supporting it. A team and a match play event, I can live with, actually I love match play but that cuts off too many players from competing to be done more that once.

Again IMO the LPGA has to be a leader in the new media world coming at us. They gotta invest and take control of producing their own content. It's not that sports networks don't wanna air the LPGA it's that the have no desire to produce the coverage needed to air it. If you film, record and produce the broadcast and deliver it to networks and all they had to do was sell advertising and press play, there would be many willing to take 3-4 hours of broadcast from Thurs to Sun. during the summer months when there is a content shortage. Also money you could make from a streaming subscription sold globally to individuals.

People have mentioned the WNBA, here's the truth about the WNBA or more importantly the American market. The WNBA season runs from May to September. Outside those months the top WNBA players go to China, Russia and Europe, to make the real money that they can't make in the US of A. Maybe it's time to quit focusing where people don't care (US) and concentrate on places where people do show some interest

And from where is this money coming?

I see small crowds and low TV ratings. If the LPGA keeps doing the same thing hoping that it gets better, they're crazy.

My understanding is the title sponsors (or sponsors) of the tournament pay for the TV production. I believe that's how GC makes most of its money.

LPGA owns the right and they can sell it to whoever they want to. Thats why you hear the Korean broadcast rights is the biggest revenue of LPGA. But in the US, the problem is to find someone who's willing to air it. That's why you always hear Mike Whan talk about how bad he wants more airtime on the big networks.

FOX is willing to go Ads free during the USWO coverage, it just shows how little money there is broadcasting women's golf in America. I will be surprised if many networks are vying to air LPGA.

LOL.... you are making things up as you go along.

The PGA Tour consists of a season, not a year. Americans this season have won at a 71% clip. In any sport, that is called dominating.when you win over a 60% clip. You are conveniently stating the beginning of the year. What does the beginning of the year have to do with anything?

2016-2017 Season Americans won 36/51 events for a win percentage of 71%. Your telling me that isn't dominating? The rest of the world won 29% of the events on the PGA.

Sigh. The tour consists of 65% Americans. OK, so 65% of the players on the tour have won 71% of the events. Still not dominating.