Titleist's new TS 2 & TS 3 driver - shot @ 2018 US Open

GolfWRX

Awesome to hear. Here's tips on how to adjust the Titleist drivers... for a right handed golfer.

CG weight... use it to control CG for your misses on the face, not to control flight. If you have tendencies to miss in the heel place the weight on draw. If you have tendencies to miss in the toe place the weight on fade. DO NOT USE THE WEIGHT TO CONTROL FACE ANGLE its simply a small change in CG to help your tendencies. If you play "army golf" on your contact leave the CG weight on neutral. THE CG WEIGHT IS THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD PIECE OF THE PUZZLE!!! Use it to control your face mishit tendencies.

Sure Fit Hosel for Dynamic Face Rotation... If you want help releasing the face or increase face rotation then you want upright lie settings, start with A2 and then back off to fine tune. If you want the club to "not go left" or place a tendency to go right then you want to flatten the lie, start with B1. Both these setting are standard loft.

Sure Fit Hosel for Spin Control... If you need more spin start with A4, less spin place on D1. Remember adjusting loft does close/open the face respectively but only statically. To actually play that loft you must rotate the face to a square position at address and more importantly hit the ball with a square face angle!

I used the CG weight and placed it in "fade" to prevent from losing the ball left, and not because I tend to miss towards the toe. Isn't this why it is called "fade" setting? I feel like moving the weight towards the toe is equivalent to adding hotmelt towards the toe. That center of gravity shift, albeit small, still helps me hit a fade and not lose the ball left. As I play a draw with all other clubs in my bag, I like to fade my driver. And the weight towards the toe does help.

All manufacturers are at fault for using the terms "draw" or "fade" when manipulating CG. What it does is, #1 give a player the ability to direct their mishits to be more inline with the CG yielding higher ballspeeds/consistency, and #2 when changing the CG to draw or fade, you are actually changing the effective gear effect. When you place your CG on "fade" you introduce a left to right flight because of the CG being outside the centered strike which contributes the the fade gear effect for a RH golfer. Make sense?

Makes sense. Question, assuming I hit the sweet spot often and my misses are equally off toe as they are off heal, do you recommend keeping the weight in the neutral or "fade" position? My goal is to eliminate misses left, i.e. feel like I can turn the club over, but never hook it and at best hit it straight or slight fade. Sounds like keeping it in "fade" position will cause slight distance loss if I hit it in the middle of the clubface, or is that loss so minimal that it is not worth talking about?

Thanks for your insights on this topic.

Consistent misses on both the toe and heel, the driver should be used with the neutral CG. The best way to keep the Titleist drivers and fairways from going left is to put on a flat lie setting... if standard loft, go to B1 (-.75º flat). If you want to see the ball draw, go left, or NOT go right... then place on A2 or B2 (+1.5º and +.75º upright respectively). Loft can be adjusted independently obviously. The lie will be the largest contributor to flight direction.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this was covered but does anyone know what the stock weight in the TS3 weighs? My cheap scale says 10g but I don't trust it lol

If I want to chop mine down to 45 will I need 12g or 14g weight to achieve D2/D3 SW?

thanks,

Mike

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

Sorry if this was covered but does anyone know what the stock weight in the TS3 weighs? My cheap scale says 10g but I don't trust it lol

If I want to chop mine down to 45 will I need 12g or 14g weight to achieve D2/D3 SW?

thanks,

Mike

The standard weight maybe fine for what you want to do. I ordered mine with a Diamana D+ 70x @45" and D3 swingweight...it came with the standard weight. Called Titleist to confirm it wasn't an oversight and they said the TS drivers @ 45.5" will normally swingweight between D4-D5.

Sure enough, put mine on a scale and it was D3 using the std. weight @ 45". Your shaft is a little lighter than mine, so likely you'll be right at D2 with the std. weight.

thanks,

Mike

The standard weight maybe fine for what you want to do. I ordered mine with a Diamana D+ 70x @45" and D3 swingweight...it came with the standard weight. Called Titleist to confirm it wasn't an oversight and they said the TS drivers @ 45.5" will normally swingweight between D4-D5.

Sure enough, put mine on a scale and it was D3 using the std. weight @ 45". Your shaft is a little lighter than mine, so likely you'll be right at D2 with the std. weight.

Oh nice!! thanks

Just want to add my 2 cents to this topic.

I'm 68 and I picked up a 10.5 TS2 stiff with the stock Tensei Blue.

Slapped a BCT cord on it and that's it in terms of modifications.

This is s GREAT driver. Hit 10 fairways today on Bethpage Red and barely missed one more.

Definitely longer than previous Titleist 900-series drivers.

Crisp sound (at least to my ear).

NO MORE driver ho-ing for me!

thanks,

Mike

My TS3 9.5 head weight is 197.6 grams w/o adapter and the std weight is 11.1 grams. My ohaus scout scale weight capacity is 400 x 0.1g. The stock shaft is the smoke 45.5"

thanks,

Mike

My TS3 9.5 head weight is 197.6 grams w/o adapter and the std weight is 11.1 grams. My ohaus scout scale weight capacity is 400 x 0.1g. The stock shaft is the smoke 45.5"

Awesome thanks. Sounds like the 14g weight would be ideal to maintain stock SW if I cut down a 1/2 inch

One thing noteworthy after 6 full rounds with the TS3: the sound is dramatically better in neutral weight position and the driver feels better in that position. I always try to weight woods towards toe to eliminate the left side but the TS3 sounds like crap with the weights in the toe. And i have 5grams of cotton in mine.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

thanks,

Mike

Awesome thanks. Sounds like the 14g weight would be ideal to maintain stock SW if I cut down a 1/2 inch

So stock swing weight was D5.4. I had it cut down 1/2 inch now it’s D2.2

Perfect!

I looked at these for the first time today.

To me the the TS2 reminded me of the Rogue and the TS3 is a more Titleist shape. the flatter face would take some getting used to.

Just by looks only my M3 is safe.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I played my second full round at my country club yesterday. I got to really dial in on the range and took it to the course. I was getting the ball 10-15 yards further than it used to be with my M3. Most importantly the feel and sound that I liked in my first round wasn't a fluke. I absolutely loved it. Used to not be a fall/winter golfer but makes me want to go out and play more now.

TM Qi10 LS - Ventus Blue 6X

TM Stealth 2+ 3W - Ventus Blue TR 7X

Titleist TSi3 3H - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Titleist T150 - KBS Tour 130X

Titleist Vokey SM6 Raw (50, 54) - DG S400

Vokey SM9 Black Raw - S400

Bettinardi Queen B #15

Are more of you liking the T2 or T3 in a 3 wood? I definitely want to give one of these a try

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Are more of you liking the T2 or T3 in a 3 wood? I definitely want to give one of these a try

Took one swing with my buddy’s ts2 15* on Saturday and that thing has some incredible pop. That was right after hitting three solid with my 917. I’ll be trying some different shaft options in the ts2 compared to the 917 soon. I don’t need a new 3 wood but that ts2 is something special.

With 55 pages on this thread I apologize if this has been covered....

If you order a TS2 at 45" and request a D4 (standard) swing weight, does the heavier back-weight used/needed in the head to achieve this weight change the ball fight characteristics and launch conditions of the club? Shaft will likely be a X-stiff or TS X-Stiff which would come in close to 70 grams with a Golf Pride Tour Velvet Mid-Size.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

I just picked this one up. Slightly used 15* from golf mart. It looks like a cannon lol

[color=#ff0000]Teaching out of Crystal Springs Golf Course[/color]<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Teachers In California 2005-2018<br /><br />Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America 2007-2012<br /><br />[color=#0000ff]Head Men's Golf Coach Notre Dame de Namur [/color][color=#0000FF]University [/color]<br /><br />[color=#DAA520]My WITB[/color]<br /><br /><br /><br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/430688-zach-heussers-golf-clubs-putter-collection-and-man-cave-pics/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...-man-cave-pics/[/url]<br />@Zheusser on twitter

Had my fitting today at the UK national fitting centre.

Gamers were...

Driver - 915 D2 9.5, 44.5€ (+5g weight), Aldila Rogue Silver 60 Stiff, A1 setting

Fairway - 915F 16.5, 42.5, (+5g weight), Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff, A1 setting

New set up...

Driver - TS3 10.5, 45 Tensei AV Blue 55 stiff, B2 setting. Standard weight in draw setting.

Fairway - TS2 16.5, 42.5€, Tensei AV Blue 65 stiff, A1 setting, standard weight.

5 handicapper.

On the big dog, picked up on average...

3 mph swing speed

5 mph club head speed

7 yards carry distance

12 yards overall distance

Smash factor 1.48

Happy with that.

Titleist TS3 Drv 10.5* (playing 45")
Titleist TS2 Fwy 16.5*
Titleist TS2 Hyb 21* (playing 20*)
Titleist U510 Uty 4 iron - 22*
Titleist T100 (5 - GW 50*)
Vokey SM7 54* (14*) F grind
Vokey SM7 58* D grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 (2018)

So those of you that initially chose the TS3 over the TS2 go back and get the TS2? I prefer the head shape of the TS3 but we're not getting along right now;)

I got both, still can't decide between them, they both are so similar

Similar in performance? My buddy insists the TS2 is so much more forgiving.

I don't have enough time with the TS2 to comment on performance and forgiveness on a course. Ive only hit the drivers on my indoor sim, ball speed launch angle and back spin seem the same. Leaving for a golf trip to Hawaii tmrw and will be playing both extensively. I love the TS3 but wanted to see what I was missing.

*Im hoping that the TS2 is straighter and longer.

I was playing Sunday with a gentleman who can hit the ball. He has more than a few mini tour starts in his past and can still light it up. He was playing the TS3 and killing it. Play was slow so he asked if I wanted to hit it side by side with the Ping G400 I was playing that day. Of course the answer was yes. The Ping had the tour stiff shaft and his TS3 the even flow white stiff (he has an X on the way). Lofts were the same. IMO, the Titleist is a 10 in the looks and my Ping a 4...hate stuff on top of a drivers crown but it plays well.

Of course there was no way I hit 2 shots in a row exactly the same. But, the TS3 with even flow was smooth with just enough kick. We used the scope to the flag with each ball to measure distance. With the Ping, I was left with 127. With the TS3 I had 98. No, one is not 30 yards longer when hit the same. But, The TS3 impressed me with feel, and distance was in no way lacking.

Of course I caught crap about when I was going to have one in my bag and I did liked everything about it. But, for now the M2 is staying but the Ping G400 is probably going to Dallas golf for a little credit. Titleist IMO nailed looks and performance with at least the TS3!

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

So those of you that initially chose the TS3 over the TS2 go back and get the TS2? I prefer the head shape of the TS3 but we're not getting along right now;)

I'm thinking of going the other way. I got the TS2 and for now the Srixon 785 seems better in every way. I do want to try the TS3 with a different shaft as Im thinking the Smoke is not working for me.

Whats your TS3 setup?