G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Just ordered a 9* with the Kuro Kage X. Pretty excited to get it.

I think I'll probably end up picking up some extra weights for it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1540362-raholland71-witb/#entry16159836"]WITB[/url]
Titleist TS3 9.5*
Titleist TS3 15*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Miura CB57 4-6
Miura MB001 7-PW
Vokey SM7 Raw 52*
Vokey V Grind 56*
Vokey Low Bounce K 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport Circle T

After 9 months, and dozens of rounds with a G400 LST, I put a 10.5 degree G400 Max in my bag today. I'm a low ball hitter, and the 10 degree LST just wasn't getting the job done. On top of that, it had a tendency to go way left. The Max was simply amazing. I've probably played a dozen or more drivers in the past 10 years, and I've never had one that went this straight. I put my first four drives in the right fairway bunkers, as I had set up for a typical big draw. Ha. The best drives were baby draws at best. Aiming at the fairway is going to take some getting used to.

After the round I hit the range to give it a real workout, and I simply couldn't make it go way left. I'm sold.

So you hit draws and hooks with the LST, a club head with fade tendencies, but can only "baby draw" the MAX ?

Interesting. Did you use the same shaft in both ?

Yes, same Fujikura Pro 65 (X) shaft.

I played my second round with the Max today, and I was able to hit some nice draws with it, but nowhere near the movement of the LST. Me likes.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Can't have it both ways. If you adjust loft down, all you have done is open the face angle if you sole the club at address. In order to take advantage of the loft change, you need to square the face at address. Opposite for increasing loft.

I appreciate that but the Ping rep told our Pro shop that the g400 is different and face angle doesn't alter. I thought it strange but brilliant if true.

Can't have it both ways. If you adjust loft down, all you have done is open the face angle if you sole the club at address. In order to take advantage of the loft change, you need to square the face at address. Opposite for increasing loft.

I appreciate that but the Ping rep told our Pro shop that the g400 is different and face angle doesn't alter. I thought it strange but brilliant if true.

Yeah, but physics is physics. Unless it has an adjustable sole plate, grounding the driver after a hosel adjustment will only result in an open or closed face.

Are you guys finding the MAX to launch a little higher than regular G400 loft for loft? I've made some swing changes, I'm more neutral into the ball now... used to need low loft b/c I Was 4-5 AoA, now I'm about 0-1 AoA and 9.5* drivers launching too low. However with the CG really far back in the MAX I wonder if the 9* would still be okay.

Any advice on the best aftermarket shaft (that Ping offers for the Max) for a slow swinging senior (82 mph SS with driver)? I don’t think I’m ready for the Distanza, but was wondering about the Aldila X-Torsion or Kura Kage DC Silver in regular flex.

I launch it high and tend to spin Ping drivers.

Thanks guys.

For me, it's really an interesting club.

For me, if I finish the shot, it's straight or a smooth draw.

It will l

Any advice on the best aftermarket shaft (that Ping offers for the Max) for a slow swinging senior (82 mph SS with driver)? I don’t think I’m ready for the Distanza, but was wondering about the Aldila X-Torsion or Kura Kage DC Silver in regular flex.

Thanks guys.

Don't hesitate with the CB senior ("Distanza") shaft. I'm high 80s. Bought the Max off the used rack with a senior shaft. Store rules prohibited me from swapping my Tour 65 R for testing. LM showed very consistent draw. Good enough to purchase.

What blew my mind was sticking the Distanza shaft in my G30 LST head. Damn if I wasn't getting 10-15 yards more than the Max IF I hit it on the screws. G400 Max more consistent overall. But, dang, what a great backup...

For me, it's really an interesting club.

For me, if I finish the shot, it's straight or a smooth draw.

It will l

Thanks guys.

Don't hesitate with the CB senior ("Distanza") shaft. I'm high 80s. Bought the Max off the used rack with a senior shaft. Store rules prohibited me from swapping my Tour 65 R for testing. LM showed very consistent draw. Good enough to purchase.

What blew my mind was sticking the Distanza shaft in my G30 LST head. Damn if I wasn't getting 10-15 yards more than the Max IF I hit it on the screws. G400 Max more consistent overall. But, dang, what a great backup...

I take it, at high 80s, you have a pretty smooth tempo. High 80s is squarely in the "R" range. Then again, I've come around to believing shaft weight is more important than shaft flex (which is different from shaft company to shaft company anyway).

Didn't the store have a Tour 65 for you to try with the G400MAX head ? Hard to believe they wouldn't let you try a demo head with your own shaft. Chain store ? Local fitter ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

This week I switched from a 2016 M1 430 8.5 deg with 45.5” shaft to a G400 Max 9 deg with a 44” Tour AD BBs shaft (got lucky on Craigslist). First Ping club ever.

Holy cow is right! Three rounds in and I’m finding center club face WAY more frequently (why did I never go to a shorter shaft before?) and the infrequent off-center hits go way further and straighter than with the M1. Used my Mevo to test both back-to-back... saw about 4mph more CH speed with M1 but same carries due to higher launch and slightly lower spin.

Love the loud sound and the feel at impact. No loss of distance. Let a buddy hit it a few times and he showed up with one of his own the next day, lol.

For reference, I’m 6’3”, 52, 100 SS, 7 HI.

Now that I have had three rounds with the Max and the Ping Tour 75x shaft I can definitely say "holy cow" as well. The club wants to go straight unless I just make an awful swing, even into the wind where my fade can get a bit leaky it holds up and down wind this club turns into a beast.

I was either in the fairway today or a few feet into the rough. To me the Max is like a more forgiving 2016 M2 and maybe a touch longer.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

One round down and it's going to take a few rounds to get accustomed to the Max. Eventually I hit some great drives that flew high and straight but there were also a few that just didn't connect. It's just different enough from my G20 that it will take a few rounds to get used to it, but when you do hit it on the screws it flies beautifully. I can already tell it helps with mishits and keeps them in the fairway. I'm excited to keep learning with this driver and look forward to longer straighter drives going forward.

I’m the guy that never believes the hype about the newest and greatest clubs but this thing is ridiculous. I almost feel sorry for the other guys in my group. Almost. I don’t think it can be said enough because it is so true: this thing wants to go straight as a string. It’s like I finally found what I’ve always been looking for. I’m using a 9* with an addi 6x. I highly recommend everyone to try this combo.

I take it, at high 80s, you have a pretty smooth tempo. High 80s is squarely in the "R" range. Then again, I've come around to believing shaft weight is more important than shaft flex (which is different from shaft company to shaft company anyway).

Didn't the store have a Tour 65 for you to try with the G400MAX head ? Hard to believe they wouldn't let you try a demo head with your own shaft. Chain store ? Local fitter ?

It was a Golf Galaxy. Truth be told, I never bothered to check their demo drivers to see if they had a demo with the Tour 65 R. My guess is they probably had one in Tour 65 S, but not R.

So I hit this club at PGATSS based on comments in this thread. While dispersion was good, distance was below my gamer and M4.

Curious, what loft and shaft?

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

So I hit this club at PGATSS based on comments in this thread. While dispersion was good, distance was below my gamer and M4.

right. Looks like he tried the 10.5 max vs 9.5 or 9.0 in his gamer and m4

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

Hit the 10.5* set to standard loft. My gamer is a 11.8* M2 Tour head that is 1.8* open. The M4 was a 10.5*. Hit a 60S copper xtorsion in the ping and a 70X in the M4/M2. They did not have an X flex XTorsion.

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Hit the 10.5* set to standard loft. My gamer is a 11.8* M2 Tour head that is 1.8* open. The M4 was a 10.5*. Hit a 60S copper xtorsion in the ping and a 70X in the M4/M2. They did not have an X flex XTorsion.

The Max is fairly high launching, so the 9 degree model would have likely been a better fit. The X-Torsion shaft is mid launching, and only comes in R and S flexes. A Tour 65 or 75 would have been worth checking out.

It was slightly below mine as well when I did a driver fitting session and tried out a ton of drivers/shafts... This whole thread kinda cracks me up and I keep looking at tho :) None of the drivers were too far off from each other.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

It was slightly below mine as well when I did a driver fitting session and tried out a ton of drivers/shafts... This whole thread kinda cracks me up and I keep looking at tho :) None of the drivers were too far off from each other.

The M4 shocked me. Was not expecting it to beat my gamer, and it did... handedly!

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Is it safe to say head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons are not valid with different shafts in the heads?

I'd say using different shafts is valid only if you've gone through the process of optimizing each head with the correct shaft. Since different heads have different characteristics, one shaft is not going to be ideal in both heads. If a specific head/shaft combo is launching too high with too much spin, the shaft needs to be swapped.

Is it safe to say head-to-head (pun intended) comparisons are not valid with different shafts in the heads?

I'd say using different shafts is valid only if you've gone through the process of optimizing each head with the correct shaft. Since different heads have different characteristics, one shaft is not going to be ideal in both heads. If a specific head/shaft combo is launching too high with too much spin, the shaft needs to be swapped.

Understood, and agree if the optimum head/shaft combo has different shafts. I tend to take the shaft that works for me (based upon length, weight, flex/bend point) and try different heads. I do not believe that different heads are going to change the "best" shaft for me (especially in terms of length and weight), but clearly that is my opinion. I do believe I've seen posts where people are testing with different weight shafts (not sure of length, but if optimized, thinking it is not standard OEM length), which was the genesis of my original question.

Also, I find it hard to test and compare any shaft that does not have the "right size" grip for me, where most otr shafts do not have my grip size, built up the way I like, but maybe I'm just sensitive.

I find it hard to test and compare any shaft that does not have the "right size" grip for me, where most otr shafts do not have my grip size, built up the way I like, but maybe I'm just sensitive.

Definitely the same here! Standard size grips make it feel like I'm holding a tiny stick.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

Drank the kool aid, mine came in yesterday. If I can't find the fairway, I am blaming all of you people.

Thought I would circle back around on this since it has been a couple of weeks and I've been able to game my Max three or four rounds. I was coming from a Mizuno JPX900 with a Tensei Orange regular flex shaft. I picked up a Max with the stock regular flex in 10.5. I have to say the difference has been night and day as far as forgiveness. I pay for miss-hits with the Max, but typically with lost distance and not with that sharp left the Mizuno gave me.

I am launching the ball higher than I would like so thinking I will take the Tensei and slap a Ping adapter on it.

Overall, I've been thrilled with the results of the Ping

Is the G400 series really that good?

I’ve been playing a 9.5 I20 with a Project X 6.0 shaft for years, and have been pretty underwhelmed with new drivers in terms of dispersion and distance.

I probably average 240-250 off the tee with minimal role, and hit 11-13 fairways a round so driving is a general strength. There is just the temptation that I’m giving up some yardage not using newer equipment.

Is the G400 series really that good?

I’ve been playing a 9.5 I20 with a Project X 6.0 shaft for years, and have been pretty underwhelmed with new drivers in terms of dispersion and distance.

I probably average 240-250 off the tee with minimal role, and hit 11-13 fairways a round so driving is a general strength. There is just the temptation that I’m giving up some yardage not using newer equipment.

I’d personally take 11-13 fairways all day everyday even if that means 10-20 shorter with an older club. Do you know your driver swing speed and your average spin rate?