G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

My miss is generally a snap hook. Some drivers and hybrids are terrible for me. I have been using a cobra LTD this season and have barely hooked a ball.

I've read previously that a 460cc, weight at the back, high moi driver can often make these hooks worse.

Has anyone with a draw flight noticed these to be more draw biased than anything else?

That depends on what is causing your snap hook. If it is caused by a toe miss, high MOI drivers will help this. If it is caused by rapid face closure/swing faults then a high MOI driver can potentially make this worse, but its certainly not a guarantee. The CG of a driver always wants to catch up with the shaft which causes the shaft to bend forward approaching impact which adds loft and closes the face a very small amount. The further back the CG (higher MOI) the more this occurs. So yes it can introduce some left tendency but that is highly dependent on your swing tendencies.

Ok, stupid question...what is the difference between 44" shaft and playing at 44"? I had my shaft cut down to 45" and love it. Am I playing it at 45"??

Playing length = shaft length + BBGM.

post-100881-0-96898400-1460135052_thumb.jpg

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I put my Copper Xtorsion shaft, which was shortened .75 along with a 18 gram headweight.

Awesome! I shortened mine by 3/4" and immediately could tell the difference. I ordered the 18g weight and just got that in today. We'll see if that helps a well.

I actually called Ping and they confirmed for the head/shaft/cut off.75 that adding the 18 gram weight would bring it back to the stock D3 swingweight. I did hit a few with a 13 gram weight in and felt good and still went far. I figured the 18 will give me some more yards and increase the feel a bit.

Awesome! I shortened mine by 3/4" and immediately could tell the difference. I ordered the 18g weight and just got that in today. We'll see if that helps a well.

Different club... but I did the exact same thing last week, cut 3/4" and put a 18g weight in, to my M2 and made a world difference for the better!

I shot my best round today by one stroke playing my MAX with Alta shaft cut 3/4" and 18g weight. I had one really bad shot (all on me, left club face open), 2 others that were off fairway but playable, and the remaining on the fairway. After 2 practice sessions and 1 round I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. It's a great club!

I shot my best round today by one stroke playing my MAX with Alta shaft cut 3/4" and 18g weight. I had one really bad shot (all on me, left club face open), 2 others that were off fairway but playable, and the remaining on the fairway. After 2 practice sessions and 1 round I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. It's a great club!

Where did you get the 18g weight from? What is the stock weight put in the G400's?

I am not worried about cutting the shaft down as I just choked down some but would like to try a heavier weight in my G400 SFT head.

Where did you get the 18g weight from? What is the stock weight put in the G400's?

I am not worried about cutting the shaft down as I just choked down some but would like to try a heavier weight in my G400 SFT head.

Golf works. I'm not sure if there's an actual standard weight, but mine came with 7g weight.

I'm all aboard the hype train, choo choo!! Had a fitting today and ended up in the G400Max with Tour 65S.

Driving is by far the worst part of my game and this went so much straighter than my present gamer. Tried shorter shafts but I was middling it with the 45.25 shaft and hitting it straight so all the shorter shaft did was drop my CHS and BS. I'm on the slow end here (108) so I need all the speed I can get.

I went in for a fitting yesterday at the Canadian equivalent of Club Champion, with the intent of walking out with a G400MAX with the appropriate shaft combo but I ended up getting the best/most consistent results with the G400 LST (8.5 Degrees).

I was all over the place with the Max with a two way miss in compared to the LST - I tested about 7 Different shafts with both heads and ended up with the LST (Never thought I would get on with a 8.5 Head) paired with a HC Project X Even Flow Blue (65G 6.0) - this was also surprising as I've always been an X-Stiff player (Previous shaft was a Tour AD BB 7X) and my swing speed definitely hasn't slowed down - but I feel I may not have as aggressive of a transition as I've been working on the timing of that.

See Numbers Below with the LST/Evenflow Blue (Working on getting that Angle of Attack up and more consistent) - These were also the last 9 swings of the day after going back and forth and after at least 100 drives - Any Thoughts??

Ping G400 LST 8.5 Degree - HC EvenFlow Blue 65
Callaway XR 4 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD DJ 8X
Titleist 816 H2 21 Degrees - Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85Hybrid X
Srixon U65 20 Degrees (Bent 18) - HC HZRDUS BLK 105G 6.5
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour X-Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM6 - 50,55,60 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2/TeI3 Newport 2

I went in for a fitting yesterday at the Canadian equivalent of Club Champion, with the intent of walking out with a G400MAX with the appropriate shaft combo but I ended up getting the best/most consistent results with the G400 LST (8.5 Degrees).

I was all over the place with the Max with a two way miss in compared to the LST - I tested about 7 Different shafts with both heads and ended up with the LST (Never thought I would get on with a 8.5 Head) paired with a HC Project X Even Flow Blue (65G 6.0) - this was also surprising as I've always been an X-Stiff player (Previous shaft was a Tour AD BB 7X) and my swing speed definitely hasn't slowed down - but I feel I may not have as aggressive of a transition as I've been working on the timing of that.

See Numbers Below with the LST/Evenflow Blue (Working on getting that Angle of Attack up and more consistent) - These were also the last 9 swings of the day after going back and forth and after at least 100 drives - Any Thoughts??

Holy smash factor! I wouldn’t let go of that driver with those results. 113 CHS belting out 321 yard drives is pretty optimal, although I get the Spin was pretty low on that one. Either way, can’t beat 1.51/1.52 across the board

Just wanted to chime in and thank those for creating the hype around these G400's. I've never played a Ping product except Anser putters, went out on a whim and built a G400 up with minimal trial hits. Even though I'm not playing the MAX, beyond amazed about performance of LST 8.5 with HZRDUS T1100 75gm 6.5X playing to 44.75". So incredibly solid, long, stable. Can't recommend pairing enough. My playing partners, after hitting it, now call it the cheat-sheet.

Last two rounds, my best rounds of the season. The only change was the switch to the G400 Max driver. My first round was with the Matrix Red Tie S, and the second round was with the Tour 65 R. Both worked well, but the Tour 65 R seems to be the winner. I am hitting the ball further and straighter than any driver in a long time. Definitely a special driver.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

After 3 rounds. I love the Max, a lot. At first I was worried the Tour 65 wasn’t going to be sturdy enough of a shaft. Turns out I was wrong, it can handle everything I throw at it. I know that I can swing my swing and it won’t hook dead left. I’m not hitting it any further than the X2Hot Pro I did have but I’m consistently as long without the super punishing misses. The sound is a little loud but it’s not horrible, aluminum bats when I was growing up were louder.

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

So, a little over a week ago I drank the kool aid & purchased a 9' Max head & stock Alta stiff shaft. From the moment I hit it, I thought it was a great club...but a little loud compared to my F8+ I've been playing all season. Driver for me is my weakness/strength....when I'm driving the ball well I score well (low 80's)...when I'm not, then upper 80's/low 90's. What I've found in the 3 rds with this club so far is that it just wants to go straight & find fairways. I've made a tweak to my driver swing recently so not sure if its the club or not...but I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2 drivers. I wish I could take the sound & softness of the Cobra, and then take the explosiveness & straightness of the Ping. This driver really is something special though!

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

I've used the G400 MAX for just about 2 weeks. When I first got it, I was impressed with how many more fairways I was hitting but distance was about the same. This past week I hit drives 10 - 20 yards longer than my XXIO 9 driver, I'm so impressed with it I ordered another for my away bag,

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I've used the G400 MAX for just about 2 weeks. When I first got it, I was impressed with how many more fairways I was hitting but distance was about the same. This past week I hit drives 10 - 20 yards longer than my XXIO 9 driver, I'm so impressed with it I ordered another for my away bag,

Very nice ... I also found the Max to go a long way down the fairway. Now all you need to do is get fit for a TPT Golf Shaft to go with it.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I now have 4 rounds with my Max (10.5), and I can definitely say it's an improvement over the LST (10.0). Initially it was extremely straight, but I was able to put a nice draw on it the last two rounds without worrying about the big hook.

I think it has a lot to do with the additional 0.5 degrees of loft, at least mentally. I struggled to get the LST in the air, and I was consciously or subconsciously changing my swing, which had the nasty effect of closing the clubface at impact. Boom. Snap hook. Perhaps it's the additional spin, but I have no worries about getting the Max airborne, so I put a normal swing on it and it just goes.

I'd definitely like to get the two clubs on a launch monitor to see what's going on, but the results speak for themselves.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

The 10.5* is good but the flight is pretty high with not much roll. I have the tensei orange pro 6s in it. I'm debating going to the 9* head.

Anyone made the switch and regret it?

Or debating picking up a tensei white or evenflow black.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

So I did the 14-day U-Try thing and cot a G400 max and a G400 LST. Used the LST at Riviera yesterday and hit it remarkably well. I hit 12 fairways and loved it. It's a keeper.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

So I did the 14-day U-Try thing and cot a G400 max and a G400 LST. Used the LST at Riviera yesterday and hit it remarkably well. I hit 12 fairways and loved it. It's a keeper.

Glad to hear another player where the LST worked out over the MAX - I thought I was the only one.. haha

After this last weekend I might have converted 2 of my usual playing partners to make the switch to the Max. Although I struggled around the greens Sunday, I put on a stripe show at Streamsong Black and only missed 1 fairway. It took a few rounds to just trust it but boy once you have that confidence it’s hard to lose faith in the G400. I haven’t been so comfortable with a driver ever and I’ve had a couple other G series drivers. This one is just too good

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

Somewhere toward the front of this thread, I made a comment about you guys touting this driver as if it's the arrow, not the indian. Well, the praise didn't stop so I decided to buy one pretty much on the drool and slobber in this thread. I can hardly wait to take it to the range after work tomorrow to see what all the fuss is about. Once again, I proved my true Golfwrx hoeism as my wife just rolled her eyes when she saw the unmistakable shaped box on the front porch. I saw her reaction while at work on my iPhone looking at the Nest Hello video doorbell app. (isn't technology great?)

10.5° with the stock Alta CB shaft in R flex.

I can't believe I bought this club considering how well I'm hitting my 2017 M1.

I realize hoeism is not really a word. :)

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

The 10.5* is good but the flight is pretty high with not much roll. I have the tensei orange pro 6s in it. I'm debating going to the 9* head.

Anyone made the switch and regret it?

Or debating picking up a tensei white or evenflow black.

have you adjusted it to big minus? I use the 10° LST and it's really high in the neutral setting. Even small minus makes a decent difference. But big minus gives me a nice mid to low trajectory and tons of roll out.

Taylormade Sim 9.0° Diamana ZF 60 stiff

Taylormade Sim Ti 15° Diamana ZF 70 stiff

Cobra F7 4-5 Ti 18.5° Diamana Kai'li 80 stiff

Ping G25 Hybrid 23° Kbs C-Taper Lite stiff 

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cobra MiM Black 50°v, 56°v, 60°w Kbs Hi-REV 2.0 125 stiff 

Maltby Ptm-1

Srixon Z-Star 

Titleist Players 5 Stand Bag

Bagboy Nitron 

I own the G400 and really like it a lot. Are you guys noting and hook tendency with the Max?

These other guys love the max bit I got one and to me it is a hooking machine--I have tried several shafts and I will hit a few nice drives and then out of nowhere comes a big hook--I am going to the LST to see what happens. would like to hear what others have experienced.

I own the G400 and really like it a lot. Are you guys noting and hook tendency with the Max?

These other guys love the max bit I got one and to me it is a hooking machine--I have tried several shafts and I will hit a few nice drives and then out of nowhere comes a big hook--I am going to the LST to see what happens. would like to hear what others have experienced.

I found this during a recent fitting as well. I usually hit a bit of a Fade so my miss is generally to the Right but when i was hitting the MAX I was pulling them left (and the occasional Right as well) which was not idea. I even went back and forth a few times with the same shafts in each and found the same results.

I ended up getting a 8.5 degree LST..

Max was not performing lately and was benched in favour of the F8.

It didn’t do well with the Tour 65 and 75X-spinny and not consistant.

I just played a round with the Max and an Evenflow Black-totally different club!

Very straight and consistent and the feel is better.

I’ve always played the Blue 6.5 but decided to try the Black in a 6.0 and love it.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

I just got back from the range and my initial session with the G400 Max. I confess............you guys were right. This is one heck of a golf club. In my haste to throw a few clubs in the trunk this morning, I forgot the wrench so I was unable to make any adjustments. In the stock 10.5° loft it was flying high but still had decent rollout. I teed the ball down some and the trajectory was better. I really believe it is a little longer than my 2017 M1. It really has a solid feel to me and the Alta CB 55 was impressive as it felt very solid and not boardy in the least. The sound is as others have said "a little loud but not too much to live with". I agree that it really does want to go straight. I'm going to hit it again tomorrow and I'm also going to adjust it down and see if it flattens out a little. I find it interesting that the .6° setting also adjusts the lie angle.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I had the same issue with the LST head with a Mitsubishi C6 shaft but after changing to a Miyazaki Kusala Blue that I had laying around, the nasty occasional hook has disappeared. Will be going in next week to see if it’s the head or the shaft in my case. Really wanted the Mistu shaft to work as it’s a little longer than the old Kusala. Coming from an old TM R11S, the G400 is light years better and should end up being a keeper once I find the right combo.