G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

Now that I have had three rounds with the Max and the Ping Tour 75x shaft I can definitely say "holy cow" as well. The club wants to go straight unless I just make an awful swing, even into the wind where my fade can get a bit leaky it holds up and down wind this club turns into a beast.

I was either in the fairway today or a few feet into the rough. To me the Max is like a more forgiving 2016 M2 and maybe a touch longer.

Oh man I also had the 2016 M2 and ALSO ordered the 400 Max with Ping Tour 75x. What shaft did you have in the M2?

Is the G400 series really that good?

I’ve been playing a 9.5 I20 with a Project X 6.0 shaft for years, and have been pretty underwhelmed with new drivers in terms of dispersion and distance.

I probably average 240-250 off the tee with minimal role, and hit 11-13 fairways a round so driving is a general strength. There is just the temptation that I’m giving up some yardage not using newer equipment.

I’d personally take 11-13 fairways all day everyday even if that means 10-20 shorter with an older club. Do you know your driver swing speed and your average spin rate?

Exactly - that’s why there have been no changes in that many years. Rational heads always prevail.

This weekend I’m planning on getting on a Trackman and maybe get fitted for something.

I’m starting to play more again and finally have a game with some better players, so just weighing some options

For me the M4 beat the G400/Max easily in distance and forgiveness.

The Max also has a hollow sound IMO which I don't like, so I sold mine.

Obviously the Max is very popular for many on this board and deserves serious consideration.

Driver:  TM iQ10 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Srixon ZX5 4 - P

SW:  Titleist SM9 F 50* and S 56*

Putter:  TM Spider TourZ

Now that I have had three rounds with the Max and the Ping Tour 75x shaft I can definitely say "holy cow" as well. The club wants to go straight unless I just make an awful swing, even into the wind where my fade can get a bit leaky it holds up and down wind this club turns into a beast.

I was either in the fairway today or a few feet into the rough. To me the Max is like a more forgiving 2016 M2 and maybe a touch longer.

Oh man I also had the 2016 M2 and ALSO ordered the 400 Max with Ping Tour 75x. What shaft did you have in the M2?

Hzrdus Yellow 6.5, it was a great combo but the Ping Tour and Max is just more consistent.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

For me the M4 beat the G400/Max easily in distance and forgiveness.

The Max also has a hollow sound IMO which I don't like, so I sold mine.

Obviously the Max is very popular for many on this board and deserves serious consideration.

You are not alone. M4 beat out the Max by almost 15 yards. I posted the numbers in a previous post, but here they are again

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

Also picked mine up yesterday. (see sig)

Goodness, it's like cheating. Very straight, the looks issue can be overlooked on performance alone

Just ordered the G400 and the G400Max from Global Golf on their 14-day trial period.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

I will say this ... when I chopped down the x-torsion from 46.25 to 45.75 it was a game changer

When you whiff a driver and it's 250+ down the middle you need to recalibrate

I will try my Ad Di 6x tomorrow .. at 45.75 ... and see if it goes from amazing to super stupid amazing

The m2 '16 could be longeron perfect bombs .... but it is certainly not straighter

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Is the G400 series really that good?

I’ve been playing a 9.5 I20 with a Project X 6.0 shaft for years, and have been pretty underwhelmed with new drivers in terms of dispersion and distance.

I probably average 240-250 off the tee with minimal role, and hit 11-13 fairways a round so driving is a general strength. There is just the temptation that I’m giving up some yardage not using newer equipment.

I’d personally take 11-13 fairways all day everyday even if that means 10-20 shorter with an older club. Do you know your driver swing speed and your average spin rate?

Exactly - that’s why there have been no changes in that many years. Rational heads always prevail.

This weekend I’m planning on getting on a Trackman and maybe get fitted for something.

I’m starting to play more again and finally have a game with some better players, so just weighing some options

Hmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,,,,, minimal roll,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, wonder why that is ?

Will be looking forward to your Trackman numbers. Bring your I20 with you of course.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

Hit my Max with Tour Stiff 65 at Club Champion on Trackman yesterday in a full bag fitting. The fitter said he doubted he could get any better than numbers I was getting. That was my feelings going in based on course experience so we moved on. For me, this the best driver I have ever hit. I've never had more faith in the forgiveness in a driver which fits my aggressive swing. For golfers that can hit the center consistently you could probably find a little more distance with G400 LST, M3/M4, Rogue and others. It is weird that the spin is very low for some and higher with others on here. I hit up on the ball so it works excellent for me in the 8* setting.

G410 LST 9* Even Flow 75 
G410 LST 14.5* Even Flow 85
G410 19* Even Flow 85
HMB 4-PW SteelFiber 110
T20 50* & T20 54* SteelFiber 125
Bigfoot 60" SteelFiber 125
2 Ball Fang
Z-Star 

Has anyone tried the Diamana S+ stiff in the G400 Max? The reason I ask is that I use and like that shaft in 915F and 913h. I bought a G400 Max 9 degree with stiff Alta 55 CB to replaced a G30 9 degree and stiff TFC419 shaft. To me the G400 has a much more solid and pleasing sound than the G30 especially when hit on the screws.

Purchased a couple extra HZRDUS Black shafts. Going to put a G adapter on one to try with my G LS, since I never did like the Tour 80X. Also will try to hit it with the MAX since everyone in here thinks its a must try.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I think what's most impressive about the G400 Max is how well the ball flies into the wind. I've hit some of the longest drives lately into the wind. It's like the ball is unaffected. It was blowing 20 to 25 tonight and the ball just cut through the wind. I guess that's because of the low spin. I'm gaming the regular model with stock stiff Alta shaft. Amazing driver.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

I think what's most impressive about the G400 Max is how well the ball flies into the wind. I've hit some of the longest drives lately into the wind. It's like the ball is unaffected. It was blowing 20 to 25 tonight and the ball just cut through the wind. I guess that's because of the low spin. I'm gaming the regular model with stock stiff Alta shaft. Amazing driver.

Early days yet but I also am finding the G400 max with stiff Alta shaft much better in the wind than my G30 with stiff TFC419. Even though the torque on both shafts are virtually the same the Alta shaft feels that bit more "stiff" or firm to me

I still have my 2016 M2 and was looking to see if there’s anything out there worth upgrading to. So is the consensus that there’s no huge difference between the M2 and G400 max?

There is a pretty big difference in MOI, the G400 Max MOI is 20% higher than the 2016 M2, which in and of itself is NOT an unforgiving driver so that is more of a comment on how forgiving the G400 Max is than anything else. With regards to spin this means that while the M2 will be capable of slightly lower spin on higher strikes, it will spin more on lower strikes in addition to curving more on heel/tow strikes.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I posted a lukewarm review earlier in this thread.

I’ve done a couple of rounds now, and a session on a launch monitor. And I’ve also switched shafts from the Alta Stiff to the matricx Xcon 6 firm I’ve been using for years.

The numbers aren’t that different compared to my Callaway Fusion with the same shaft.

The Fusion is a bit lower spinning for me, but both are in the ballpark of the 17/1700 ideal.

On well struck shots the Fusion is, if anything, longer.

But it feels to me like the G400 is more forgiving of my misses (especially toe hits) and thus more consistently long.

It also has a more neutral face angle so I miss left less. On the other hand I miss right more.

But I’ll keep it.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

Hzrdus Yellow 6.5, it was a great combo but the Ping Tour and Max is just more consistent.

Nice, I had the Black 6.5, can't wait to get this driver.

My miss is generally a snap hook. Some drivers and hybrids are terrible for me. I have been using a cobra LTD this season and have barely hooked a ball.

I've read previously that a 460cc, weight at the back, high moi driver can often make these hooks worse.

Has anyone with a draw flight noticed these to be more draw biased than anything else?

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

After hearing all the glowing reviews, I finally had the opportunity to try the G400 Max on the course and had trouble closing the face with many of the drives leaking to the right. Is anyone else having the same issue? 10.5* with the standard Alta CB in Regular shaft.

I currently play a Callaway Epic with either a baby draw or straight flight.

My miss is generally a snap hook. Some drivers and hybrids are terrible for me. I have been using a cobra LTD this season and have barely hooked a ball.

I've read previously that a 460cc, weight at the back, high moi driver can often make these hooks worse.

Has anyone with a draw flight noticed these to be more draw biased than anything else?

My big miss is also the big snap hook. My previous G400 LST was prone to the snaps. I played two rounds with my new Max, and no snaps. As noted above, the thing is very straight. The best drives have a slight draw.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

After hearing all the glowing reviews, I finally had the opportunity to try the G400 Max on the course and had trouble closing the face with many of the drives leaking to the right. Is anyone else having the same issue? 10.5* with the standard Alta CB in Regular shaft.

Did you try a stiff flex Alta? The regular flex way be a bit twisty, leaving the head open at impact.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I had the G400 SFT and loved it. Didn't want to try the Max because I was hitting the SFT pretty good. Well I found a brand new Max on Craigslist for 250 and I couldn't pass it up. I put my Copper Xtorsion shaft, which was shortened .75 along with a 18 gram headweight.

After a session at the range and a round last night all i can say is WOW!! The hype is real, at least for my swing/game. Didn't see any real distance improvements but man this thing is just straight!!! Only missed one fairway and that was because I swung way too hard.

I normally average 230-245 and I was easily at the top end of that all night and on the fairway. Sound/feel isn't as good as the G400, but it's not bad and certainly worth the accuracy.

I almost feel like I can't talk about how great this driver has been for me without sounding like I'm exaggerating or bragging.

I played last Friday in a very casual game with a few friends. After the second hole (when it became obvious that the course record was safe,LOL), I decided to hit driver hard on every possible hole. I had two bad drives out of 13 remaining, with some in places I've never thought possible. It's just amazing how easy this driver is to hit.

Did you try a stiff flex Alta? The regular flex way be a bit twisty, leaving the head open at impact.

no, but will try it next time I’m on the course.

I put my Copper Xtorsion shaft, which was shortened .75 along with a 18 gram headweight.

Awesome! I shortened mine by 3/4" and immediately could tell the difference. I ordered the 18g weight and just got that in today. We'll see if that helps a well.

I actually called Ping and they confirmed for the head/shaft/cut off.75 that adding the 18 gram weight would bring it back to the stock D3 swingweight. I did hit a few with a 13 gram weight in and felt good and still went far. I figured the 18 will give me some more yards and increase the feel a bit.

Awesome! I shortened mine by 3/4" and immediately could tell the difference. I ordered the 18g weight and just got that in today. We'll see if that helps a well.

Different club... but I did the exact same thing last week, cut 3/4" and put a 18g weight in, to my M2 and made a world difference for the better!

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

I never thought one club could make such a big difference.

Did the cotton improve the sound for you quite a bit? If you don't mind, can you share pics of how you did it?

The cotton did mute the sound noticeably. I just removed the weight in the sole, pulled apart the cotton balls and stuffed them in with a toothpick. check posts here about the subject before you try. They add more weight than I had guessed they would.

Mine has turned my tee game around. Former scratch player, ballooned to a 7 over last few years, mostly from looking for balls in the woods and a lack of confidence on the tee. Thought I was past my prime. Nope.

I decided to build the most forgiving driver possibble. Bought one on here, put a 44' HZRDUS Black hand crafted prototype in it. A few cotton balls to get the sw dialed and sound muted a bit. The thing is like a tennis racquet. I can't miss it. Very, very, very, very straight. I don't see the odd additional 40+ yard blast like I did with the Rogue, but that was inconsistent, and usually just got me in more trouble anyway.

I just had my career round with the MAX. Hit all 14 fairways and made 9 birdies. My game has gone from triage to attack mode. index at back at 2 and headed lower.

I never thought one club could make such a big difference.

44" shaft or playing at 44"?

Playing at 44.

Ok, stupid question...what is the difference between 44" shaft and playing at 44"? I had my shaft cut down to 45" and love it. Am I playing it at 45"??