G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

I hit my gmax great tonight in golf league. It was point and shoot. I didnt miss one fairway with the g400 max tensei orange pro combo. Much better than my g400 lst I gamed Saturday which I was missing left and had two block slices. Guess I need to do more testing. Or just sell the lst.

Playing the same combo as well, did you bump up the SW? Mine came out at C9 so I have a couple of heavier weights coming to bump it back up to D3 as it felt way too light. Playing at 45.5 btw.

Callaway Sub Zero, Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Ping SF Tech 16*
Titleist 816H1 21*
Titleist 913H 24*
Callaway Razr MB 5-PW
Vokey SM7 52*, 56*, 60*
Spider X Copper

I hit my gmax great tonight in golf league. It was point and shoot. I didnt miss one fairway with the g400 max tensei orange pro combo. Much better than my g400 lst I gamed Saturday which I was missing left and had two block slices. Guess I need to do more testing. Or just sell the lst.

Playing the same combo as well, did you bump up the SW? Mine came out at C9 so I have a couple of heavier weights coming to bump it back up to D3 as it felt way too light. Playing at 45.5 btw.

I have a 18 gram weight, but I think it's in the lst. I guess I should check. It might be to heavy with the 18.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I got the Max in 9* with a GD Tour AD DI 60 x..... It’s basically point and shoot. A fairway finder!!!! Came from a 16 M1.... A very big difference between the 2! Actually gained a little distance as well as a lot more accuracy!!!

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 9* Tour AD DI 60S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 3 Wood 15* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Paradym  AI Smoke TD 5 wood 18* Tour AD DI 70S

Callaway Apex Pro '24 irons 4-PW DG Tour issue x-100 

Callaway Jaws Black Raw wedges 50* 54* 58* DG tour issue x-100
2014 Newport 2 Scotty Cameron putter
2024 Smoke Staff Bag

I don't know what all of the fuss is about the sound because I love the sound of mine. To me it sounds powerful and well struck.

I know I'm in the minority but I really do not like the sound of those carbon fiber crown drivers - too muted a sound for my ears. To me it sounds like a poorly struck ball. YMMV.

What's in my Ping Pioneer Bag

Ping G400 Max 10.5˚, Alta CB 55 S-Flex

Ping G400 5w, 7w, Alta CB 65 R-Flex
Ping G400 5h, 6h, Alta CB 70 R-Flex

Callaway Apex CF16 7-PW, UST Recoil 660 F3 R-Flex

Titleist Vokey Tour Chrome SM8 50.12F, 54.12D, 58.10S, Mitsubishi Tensei Pro AM2 Red R-Flex

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64˚ Wedge, Recoil ES 760 F3

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 34”/74˚ Black with Custom 1+28 Sightlines, B.G.T. Stability Tour Black shaft w/ LAB Press OG 3.0 Grip

Srixon Z-Star XV Yellow | Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide Orange/Yellow, Seamus Headcovers

Callaway Chrome Soft #1 Lost Ball on Tour - Mark Crossfield

I don't know what all of the fuss is about the sound because I love the sound of mine. To me it sounds powerful and well struck.

I know I'm in the minority but I really do not like the sound of those carbon fiber crown drivers - too muted a sound for my ears. To me it sounds like a poorly struck ball. YMMV.

Exactly my thought when my buddy was making contact with his g400 max. Beast of a driver too.

I grabbed yet another Max because I want the most forgiving driver out there in my bag and am determined to find a good combo in it. First, to say its loud is a HUGE understatement. Its loud af! On the range hitting the range rocks it was by far the loudest, most piercing sounding driver there. Look, dont try to sugarcoat it and put lipstick on a pig, its f****** loud! BUT its also very straight and forgiving, that's why we try to justify its one shortcoming. You really do have to find the right shaft for it though. I have last years Tour shaft in mine and I still find its launching high and going a bit short but its probably my bad swing. I'm still going to try a few shafts and see if I can dial in a bit more forgivestance.

To my knowledge it does make the driver non-conforming, hence the reason I used yarn, if I ever want to pull it out I can grab the end I left under the screw and remove it easily. I don't know how you would get cotton balls out. Yikes!!

Ping G430 LST 10.5°, Chrome 2.0 65 S
Ping G430 MAX 15° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 MAX 17.5° Rogue White 130 80 S
Ping G425 22° Tensei CK Pro Orange 80 S
Ping i210 5-W Recoil Dart 105 S +½" SStep x1
Ping Glide 4.0 50, 54

Ping ChipR

2022 Scotty Cameron X5 35"
TM TP5X

Not sure what the fuss is about it being loud. It's only slightly louder than other drivers and certainly no where near as loud as some earlier Cobra drivers. It makes a really nice sound when hit on the screws in my opinion. I've only just picked up my driver and hit it once. I didn't realize that with it turned up to 9.5* from 9.0* (from my fitting) that it would close the face a bit and I was pulling my drives to the left, it may take a little time to adjust to this setting. Seems to give me a few more yards and gets a little more height too which should result in longer drives overall. Looking forward to playing it this coming weekend too.

I went from from G30 LST to the Max. Upgraded the shaft to the Tensei Pro white. Was fit for both drivers. Consistently hit the Max longer and straighter. Sounds better also. Very happy is an understatement.

Thanks for the info! As I believe the tip is the same, had you ever tried the upgraded shaft in the G30 to see the true difference between the heads?

Actually I did try the new shaft in the G30. What I found was that the Max head is way more stable on a mishit. Where the G30 would twist the shaft in my hand on a mishit, that has never happened with the Max. I’ve actually tried both shafts in the Max also with no big differences to be honest. The Tensei is 1” shorter which feels better to me.

Not to hijack this thread, but I heard back from the USGA today:

Cotton Balls in a driver would not be a problem if they did not move. You would need to find a way to secure them. If you stuff enough in there to not move this could work. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Not to hijack this thread, but I heard back from the USGA today:

Cotton Balls in a driver would not be a problem if they did not move. You would need to find a way to secure them. If you stuff enough in there to not move this could work. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me.

Ummmm,,,,, how would one verify/prove they're not moving ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I booted the m3 for the Max . To be honest I hit my Epic way better than the m3, but sold the Epic so I could not stick it back in the bag, have since sold the m3 as well. I turned the max down and stuck my Pro Orange in it and it’s the best driver I have hit to date. I hit it high but the ball carries forever and doesn’t balloon and it’s super forgiving. I like the sound also no issue there. Great purchase

Driver- TC Epic 440 with Hzrdus T1100<br />3-Wood- 13 Degree Ping stretch with Ping Tour 75x<br />Hybrid- 915 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85<br />Irons- ( 4-PW ) JPX 900 Forged with 110s Steelfibers - Wedges- Sm6 Vokey 48 bent 2 degrees strong - sm6 vokey raw 56 bent to 55 , 58 Raw Low Bounce K grind ( 110 Steelfibers in all wedges same length shafts )<br />Putter- Scotty Cameron Laguna 1.5 Studio Torch Finish that I did...

I got rid of my M3 440 and went with the G400 Max 9*. I originally got it with the Ping Tour shaft 65S and felt like the shaft was too soft for me. I went to a local fitter and tried different shafts and the best shafts for me were the PX Hazardous T1100 6.0 and the Tensei White Pro 6x Shaft. I went with the Hazardous T1100 shaft as I liked the ball flight better and my dispersion was a bit tighter. As others have said with the right shaft this thing is a bomber. Very forgiving and a fairway finder.

In My Bag
TM Stealth 10.5* PX T1100 6.5 75g
TM Stealth 3W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g 

TM Stealth 5W PX Hazardous Smoke Black 6.5 80g

TM SIM 2 3H, Nippon Modus Hybrid shaft 95X

2021 TM P790 5-PW Modus TT DG Tour issue 100X
TM High Toe 50, 54 and 58

Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB-X Yellow
#insideTMAG 2013

I went from from G30 LST to the Max. Upgraded the shaft to the Tensei Pro white. Was fit for both drivers. Consistently hit the Max longer and straighter. Sounds better also. Very happy is an understatement.

Thanks for the info! As I believe the tip is the same, had you ever tried the upgraded shaft in the G30 to see the true difference between the heads?

Actually I did try the new shaft in the G30. What I found was that the Max head is way more stable on a mishit. Where the G30 would twist the shaft in my hand on a mishit, that has never happened with the Max. Ive actually tried both shafts in the Max also with no big differences to be honest. The Tensei is 1 shorter which feels better to me.

Awesome feedback... thank you!

I tried out a G400 max on the wekend and am hoping the middling results were because my swing was off.

I hit it very well on the range, but then my swing disappeared on course.

It didn’t seem to punish my awful drives, but certainly didn”t magically correct them either.

I don’t generally see much of a difference between drivers so I’m not sure why I thought it might be otherwise, but once a ho, always a ho.

Looks cool though, and the sound was fine.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I tried out a G400 max on the wekend and am hoping the middling results were because my swing was off.

I hit it very well on the range, but then my swing disappeared on course.

Reality is, despite the huge raves in this thread, the G400 Max is no miracle stick. When I took it out for my inaugural round last weekend (with a Red Tie 59g stiff), my front 9 was terrific with the Max. I was really giddy with excitement about the results. Then on the back 9, some of my bad habits with tee shots reared their head, and I mixed in some of my usual misses: 1. getting jerky with my swing, swinging too hard and pulling the ball, 2. not turning my body, using all arms, lunging at the ball, and pulling the ball, or 3. not turning my body, and blocking the ball out to the left (I am a lefty). I did all of this with the G400 Max on the back 9.

All of that said, it was clear in that first round, and was clear in my next time out when I settled on the Tour 65 regular shaft, that the Max is an exceptional driver. Give it what it should, and it will perform. But us weekend hackers still need to put a good swing on it. And of course, finding the right shaft makes a big difference. YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

And of course, finding the right shaft makes a big difference.

All drivers perform almost the same except for look and sound. Find one you like aesthetically, then find the right loft/shaft combination.

TM Q10 LS 9, Graphite Design AD XC X
TM M4 3 wood

TM Stealth 4 hybrid
TM p7mc 4-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60
Titleist Scotty Cameron Squareback 2

In spite of the fact that I don’t really think shafts make a massive difference, I’ll probably try the G400 Max with the shaft I have convinced myself suits me.

Should I be swinging as well as usual I’ll probably convince myself some of it is due to Gmax pixie dust.

A sensible person would wonder why I’m even bothering to try and replace a very good driver that suits me very well.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

In spite of the fact that I don’t really think shafts make a massive difference, I’ll probably try the G400 Max with the shaft I have convinced myself suits me.

Should I be swinging as well as usual I’ll probably convince myself some of it is due to Gmax pixie dust.

A sensible person would wonder why I’m even bothering to try and replace a very good driver that suits me very well.

Just curious.

The standard shaft of the Fusion in your signature isn't the XCON. How did you decide to GO to the XCON ? And was it noticeably better than whichever stock shaft you had in the Fusion ?

Curious because you say you don't think the shaft makes a massive difference and I suppose we could argue the definition of "massive" but I've found my Hzrdus transformed my Fusion (over the stock Diamana Red anyway).

I'll probably try the G400MAX eventually, just because, but I'm certainly not thinking of replacing my driver anytime soon.

Hope it works for you.

Titleist Pro V1X

Was hitting the G400max with the tour 75x shaft tonight, really impressed with that shaft. At first I was worried about it being too much shaft but it is just about right with the higher launching head. Didn't lose any distance from the lighter shafts and dispersion was much better.

• Callaway Epic Max Mitsubishi MMT 60X
  • Callaway Epic Max  3W 14.5* Mitsubishi MMT 70X
  • Ping G410 Hybrid 19* Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
  • Mizuno HMB 4 iron, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 
  • Mizuno MMC 5-PW, KBS $-Taper 130x
  • Titleist Vokey SM7 52F, Cleveland RTX Zipcore 56, and Vokey SM8 60M
  • Odyssey White OG 7s

Was hitting the G400max with the tour 75x shaft tonight, really impressed with that shaft. At first I was worried about it being too much shaft but it is just about right with the higher launching head. Didn't lose any distance from the lighter shafts and dispersion was much better.

That Tour 75 is a must try if the Tour 65 doesn’t work.

It’s a great shaft that gets overlooked coz of the slightly extra weight.

Tighter dispersion than the 65, for me too.

Rox

2023 in the Bag!

Rogue Max Ls 9°/HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 6.5 70<br  />TSi2 15°/Aldila Green 75X<br/>Epic Flash 21°/Tour Green 75X<br/>Maltby TS1-iM 4-6 iron Modus 115X<br/>

Honma 747V/DG120-S400 7-PW<br/>Jaws 50°, 54° & 58°/DG Tour Issue S400<br/>Scotty Cameron 5.5M<br />Callaway Chrome Soft and
Sun Moutain C130/ClicGear Rovic cart with Alphard E-Wheels V2

Backups:

Bridgestone Tour-B X-CB/DG120 S400 Tour Issue 5-PW

After 9 months, and dozens of rounds with a G400 LST, I put a 10.5 degree G400 Max in my bag today. I'm a low ball hitter, and the 10 degree LST just wasn't getting the job done. On top of that, it had a tendency to go way left. The Max was simply amazing. I've probably played a dozen or more drivers in the past 10 years, and I've never had one that went this straight. I put my first four drives in the right fairway bunkers, as I had set up for a typical big draw. Ha. The best drives were baby draws at best. Aiming at the fairway is going to take some getting used to.

After the round I hit the range to give it a real workout, and I simply couldn't make it go way left. I'm sold.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

After 9 months, and dozens of rounds with a G400 LST, I put a 10.5 degree G400 Max in my bag today. I'm a low ball hitter, and the 10 degree LST just wasn't getting the job done. On top of that, it had a tendency to go way left. The Max was simply amazing. I've probably played a dozen or more drivers in the past 10 years, and I've never had one that went this straight. I put my first four drives in the right fairway bunkers, as I had set up for a typical big draw. Ha. The best drives were baby draws at best. Aiming at the fairway is going to take some getting used to.

After the round I hit the range to give it a real workout, and I simply couldn't make it go way left. I'm sold.

So you hit draws and hooks with the LST, a club head with fade tendencies, but can only "baby draw" the MAX ?

Interesting. Did you use the same shaft in both ?

Titleist Pro V1X

Just got fitted for a G400 Max with X-Torsion shaft. Great combo!

Which extorsion? I've been trying to find out the upcharge for the 70TX.

I doubt they'll have it.. when I purchased copperhead it was tour only in 70TX the TX range in xtorsion is a different animal then your standard x flex or stiff.. but that shaft has transformed this head and it's the best combo of driver/shaft I've ever hit.. the copperhead 70tx for me is black tie 70m4 flight with lower spin

I have the 60TX in my driver, and it's phenomenal I didn't know it was that low spinning, though - less than a Black Tie 70M4? That's a historically low spinning shaft line. When I swing confidently, the ball just jumps off and GOES.

Titleist TSi3 10* (at 9.25*) w/ Tour AD DI 6X 
Titleist TSR2 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid w/ Fuji Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X

Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron w/ KBS Tour V S HS'd
Titleist 716CB 4-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd
Vokey SM7 Slate Blue 54.10 (1* strong) and 58.08 with Onyx DGTI S400
PING PLD Anser D 35"

2021 ProV1 or Left Dash ProV1x (or random other tour quality balls LOL)