G400 Max...Holy Cow!!!

drumdude96

I've said this 1000x on here. No two (of the same) heads are the same....no two (of the same) shafts are the same. A great performing shaft on two different (even though "identical") heads can and will perform differently. There are way too many variances and tolerance issues in mass production processes / manufacturing that lead to inconsistencies. Heck, the adapters are glued differently and can make a 1* difference. Let me ask this......how many times have you striped a demo club, over and over, then ordered one and didn't like the one you received? Happens all the time. So....next time, beg, borrow and/or steal to buy that demo club. Offer to exchange the new one, you're ordering, for the demo when it arrives; anything to get the actual club/shaft that produced the best results for you.

I test 5-6 "identical" heads when I pick out a driver and 3w, until I get the one that sets up the best to my eye, feels the best, and gives me the best numbers. I tested 6 different 9* MAX heads, 5 LST heads and 4 standard 400 heads. The MAX head, I ended up with, spun way less than any of the LST's and any of the standard 400's that I tested. I set out to get a LST and came away with the MAX. In short, I got lucky and got a low spin MAX head.....and that was when it was measured and tested with the exact same shaft inserted into each head tested in order to measure every number, the feel and the flight characteristics.

Therefore, if you are considering any club......do yourself a favor and try to test a few of the same heads until you find the one that feels and performs the best. Then do the same with shafts (and their orientation). The long and short is......it's a process but it may just pay off.

To a large degree I agree with you but you're a top notch player. Most golfers couldn't tell the difference between 2 drivers that you found a "large" difference between. So for them, getting a stock combination shouldn't make much, if any, difference.

But how on earth do you get to test 5-6 "identical" drivers ? Nobody's got a fitting cart (that I've seen) with more than 1 example of the head.

That may very well be true....and if so, I wonder why should/would they even bother with any LM numbers at all then? In that event, they should just go hit some off the rack until finding one that feels best. As far as my situation goes, I have a relationship with a large retailer and go into a store a couple hours before they open, when I want to test new launch products. They let me go through their entire inventory until I've found up to 1/2 dozen of each head that suit my eye and measure up as far as loft and lie in the standard settings. For example, you'd be amazed how PING clubs come in their shipping boxes/crates. They are all tagged with info. What I look down at is the most critical part for me and my #1 step. That takes into consideration how it sets up (how much face I see or don't see, whether it sets open or not and how flat or upright it appears at address). I then swingweight the clubs I've chosen by appearance and I measure the actual loft and lie angles. After I've done that I start hitting shots until I zero in on the head and shaft combo that's best for me. If I find a particular shaft from their fitting cart that I like, I try that particular shaft in each head and chart the numbers, if I like the feel of it, and whether I have a consistent strikes. I keep going until I find what's best.

If the average player gets fitted I doubt there'd be a significant enough difference for him/her to tell if, say, the spin rate was 200 more or less than they were fitted for.

Same goes for loft, face angle, shaft flex, etc. For a terrific player,,,,,, they can most likely tell some small differences. But for the average guy "close enough" is close enough.

How does a retailer let you mark up so many club heads ? They DO have to sell the after all and they certainly can't sell one of those as new. Couple of marks on the face and there ain't nobody buying it "new"; at least not without a nice discount.

Right on! Oh, and no marks are incurred during testing, otherwise they couldn't let me do what I do.

How do you do it with no marks???

I've said this 1000x on here. No two (of the same) heads are the same....no two (of the same) shafts are the same. A great performing shaft on two different (even though "identical") heads can and will perform differently. There are way too many variances and tolerance issues in mass production processes / manufacturing that lead to inconsistencies. Heck, the adapters are glued differently and can make a 1* difference. Let me ask this......how many times have you striped a demo club, over and over, then ordered one and didn't like the one you received? Happens all the time. So....next time, beg, borrow and/or steal to buy that demo club. Offer to exchange the new one, you're ordering, for the demo when it arrives; anything to get the actual club/shaft that produced the best results for you.

I test 5-6 "identical" heads when I pick out a driver and 3w, until I get the one that sets up the best to my eye, feels the best, and gives me the best numbers. I tested 6 different 9* MAX heads, 5 LST heads and 4 standard 400 heads. The MAX head, I ended up with, spun way less than any of the LST's and any of the standard 400's that I tested. I set out to get a LST and came away with the MAX. In short, I got lucky and got a low spin MAX head.....and that was when it was measured and tested with the exact same shaft inserted into each head tested in order to measure every number, the feel and the flight characteristics.

Therefore, if you are considering any club......do yourself a favor and try to test a few of the same heads until you find the one that feels and performs the best. Then do the same with shafts (and their orientation). The long and short is......it's a process but it may just pay off.

There is more variability in your SWING than the QC tolerances manufactures use. You are the biggest variable, my friend, not the "Identical" clubs

Yeah but when you're Tiger 2.0, these things matter.

I kid, I kid. But for most of us, it won't make 2 licks of a difference if the demo head was actually 9.4* loft and the one we get from the factory is 9.2 with a face .5* more shut. My strike is varying more swing to swing than any kind of tolerance band violation would do to me.

Anyway, with that out of the way... Just ordered a new Z785. Hit the G400 when it first came out but not the MAX. Anybody here hit demo 785's and can compare to MAX?

I have the G400 max with the Tour 65 stiff shaft and hit the 785 with the HC Hzrdus Black, HC Evenflow Blue, And the Tensei CK Blue. The sound of the 785 is very nice. With the Carbon Fiber head it is a little muted, but not to the degree like the Callaway's. I settled on the 10.5* head with the Tensei CK Blue. A tad longer than the Ping because I was able to take a little spin off of it. Toe hits flew really good with not much loss of speed and distance. Heel hits suffered a little more. Overall, I do think the Ping is a little more forgiving, especially on the heel, but not to the point where I think I'm giving anything up in overall performance from the Ping. Besides the better numbers, I like the look and sound of the 785 over the Ping.

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I know this might not be the right place for this, but i'm going to ask it. I picked up a G400 driver a few weeks ago. I have been trying different loft settings and a couple of shafts since I got it. I've always tightened the screw until I hear a click when making a change. Tonight I was watching a Youtube video of a guy hitting different shafts in his G400 and every time he changed shafts, I could clearly hear two clicks when he tightened the screw. I tried making mine click twice, but I can't turn the screw anymore without really forcing it and I am afraid of going too far and breaking or cracking something.

So my question is, how many clicks should I hear before I know I have the head screwed on correctly?

Thanks....

Wrench releases pressure applied at a specific measurement in lbs/inch or "torque" as some will say. One click or two makes no difference-provided the 3$ tool from China actually works correctly. I suggest one click, otherwise odds increase you destroy the fastener by over tightening.

Thank you. I will stick with one click then.

I love my MAX, one thing I've noticed though is it spins madly. Probably why its always in the fairway, I just dont feel it goes far enough. Its an amazing club, but I think faster swingers and ppl who draw the ball stock are probably better off with the LST. Mine might be hitting the BST soon if anybody is interested LOL,

I'm starting to see this in my game unfortunately w/ the max. Was hoping that it was the shaft (kuro kage dc tini 60x) being too soft for 118-120 swing speed.

I love my MAX, one thing I've noticed though is it spins madly. Probably why its always in the fairway, I just dont feel it goes far enough. Its an amazing club, but I think faster swingers and ppl who draw the ball stock are probably better off with the LST. Mine might be hitting the BST soon if anybody is interested LOL,

I'm starting to see this in my game unfortunately w/ the max. Was hoping that it was the shaft (kuro kage dc tini 60x) being too soft for 118-120 swing speed.

I feel you Trey

I swing at 112 and the tini is simply too soft, no wonder it’s th cheapest of the KKs. My Kuro Kage XT is much more stout and handles speed better. Loved the driver for the first few weeks because it saved me on a lot of holes, but after working on my swing more, realized I need less spin.

Weird because I thought this would be my gamer for a good bit haha.

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

Anyone gone from a G400 LST to a Max?

I've been wondering about the Max but I really like my LST and I usually hit it fairly well with my miss being a little bit high toe. However today I hit one that was so high toe I damn near missed the ball altogether. Still went straight, ended up in the fairway and I lost little to no distance.

How much better can the Max be?

Anyone gone from a G400 LST to a Max?

I've been wondering about the Max but I really like my LST and I usually hit it fairly well with my miss being a little bit high toe. However today I hit one that was so high toe I damn near missed the ball altogether. Still went straight, ended up in the fairway and I lost little to no distance.

How much better can the Max be?

I went from G400 LST to the MAX, but if you are getting those results, stick with what is working. I loved the LS also and it gave me great results most of the time. I don’t play as often as I would like, so decided on going with the most forgiving driver there is.

To my eye, there hasn’t been a lot of difference other than forgiveness. Roughly the same distance with more fairways. Would love to have one of each, but will be holding on to my MAX for sure.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Has anyone here done a comp. to the TS2 or TS3?

I’d be interested to see this. When I bought my Max I originally had my mind set on a 917 but I couldn’t get the results I was looking for out of it. Even if they’re “better” nothing is taking the Max out of my bag. The Driver is beginning to be the most dangerous part of my game.

Ping G400 MAX
Callaway XR 16 Pro 16
Callaway XR 16 Pro 18
Titleist 716 AP2
Titleist Vokey 52 F
Titleist Vokey 58 M
Evnroll ER5
Titleist ProV1

Ugh.. You guys are making it hard not to try. Absolute worst part of my game is from the tee.

You and me both... Let's buy one together and drop our handicap by 3-4 strokes.

Yet you have it listed on the BST now. BTW, what makes you think someone is going to buy a used driver for the retail price of a new one?!?

If I increase the head weight, how is it going to effect the ball flight? With more weight low in back, I assume the ball will launch higher? Will the club be slightly more fade biased?

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Somthing i’ve noticed with the Ping G400/Max threads is the ol’ “ well i hit my Rogue, TM3 or Cobra longer than the Ping “ but the Ping is straighter.....

Apparently most guy’s are letting the shaft out then, the G400/Max is as long as the others, easily.

This-

I went from the Rouge Sub Zero to the Max with Pro Orange TX70. The Max is easily as long AND stupid forgiving. Catching one high on the face produces absolute low spin bombs that just go and go. Caught one on the toe yesterday that I knew was gone left, but it just kind of moved a little left and stayed there. The same ball with the Sub Zero would have been by-by. For reference- I’m around 110-12 with the driver

I have hit all 3. The MAX is both longer and more forgiving than the TS2/3. It launches higher than either TS2/3, spin is higher than the TS3 but it's just longer and straighter than either. Having said that getting fit with the proper shaft is everything.

Vessel XV Cart White
Ping G430 Max 12* Ventus TR 5R

Ping G430 Max 3W Ventus Red 6R

Ping G425 4/5/6 Hybrid Regular 
Ping I525 7-U Alta Slate Stiff+1/4 Blue Dot Dot
Ping Glide 4.0 52/56/60 Steelfiber F3 +1/4 Blue Dot
LAB DF 2.1 Blue 35.5 67* 

Titleist Pro V1 and Srixon Z-Star

I have hit all 3. The MAX is both longer and more forgiving than the TS2/3. It launches higher than either TS2/3, spin is higher than the TS3 but it's just longer and straighter than either. Having said that getting fit with the proper shaft is everything.

So the MAX launches higher and spins more yet it's still longer ? Interesting.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

After reading the first 3 or 4 pages of this thread I chimed in that you guys were acting a little "over the top" about how good this driver is. Then around page 6 or 7 I bought one and blamed you guys for it. After several rounds, I will state that this is one heck of a driver. I have a 2016 M2 and a 2017 M1 collecting dust in the garage. It seems that as long as I can discipline myself to swing it smooth and easy it will put it out there long and straight. My only issue is when I overswing, and that is MY FAULT.

This is an exceptional golf club.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I finally picked one up 2 weeks ago aswell. I've been following this thread for some time now.

I picked up a 10.5 and tested it with my 2 preferred shafts. Ended up with an ATTAS COOOL.

Boy is this thing a beast. The Attas Coool is the best feeling, without being loose, shafts I've ever used. Straight 250 yard bombs, high launch, slight draw at times. I've never seen this ballflight before the MAX.

No more driver searching for a few years..

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Watch this from the average golfer...................

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Oh - and I watched that video. The spin of the TS3 was lower than the G400 Max - on the cusp of being too low to actually play with.

Yeah I saw that too. Wonder whether a professional fitting would have got him higher spin and better dispersion with the TS3? Still, it shows what a lot of people are saying - G400 Max is a fairway finder for most.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

Being the club ho that I am, I always get the itch to try the latest and greatest. I've thrown everything at the G400 Max including the new TS2 and TS3 and nothing can beat it. I do really like the TS2 with the HZRDS Smoke 6.5 though. Great feeling driver. My Max 10.5 with the Tour 65 X still holds the crown right now. I really have no idea how this head will be topped by Ping.

I finally bit the bullet and picked up a 10.5 G400 Max, coming from a G Sftec. Both clubs with the Ping stock R shaft. Hit the Max decently in the testing bay but it’s hard for me to get a really optimal test due to the stock grips. I have very long, thin, fingers and have oversized grips on my clubs. I put a Golf Pride Control Core oversized grip on the Max and head out to the course.

And I’m spraying the ball all over the place. Some left, some right, some right down the middle. Figured it was a breaking in period. Next round same thing. I move the loft to 11.5 and things get better. Not great but better. I’m thinking maybe I need to try a different shaft, something, because when I hit the G Sftec, my ball flight is consistent. Baby fade in the fairway.

But before I go the shaft route, I decide to go mad scientist. I ordered a JumboMax grip. I’d been thinking about getting one but no shops around here carry them and I’d be ordering one blind. Ordered a standard, medium sized grip. It shows up and it’s huge. I can’t imagine how big an XL JumboMax grip is cause the medium is really really big. I’m thinking what the hell and put it on the Max.

I go the the range. My grip is really relaxed as I warm up. And I hit a ball. Tagged it right in the center of the face and that ball flew off like a rocket. Right down the middle. And long, at least for me. I’m an older guy and not a long hitter by any means but that ball got out there. Hit another. Same result. I’m pretty sure over the course of my next hits, most of them ended up in a circle with a diameter of 50 feet or so. Some faded a bit, but most were dead straight.

Be it the grip or the club, I’ve never hit a driver this consistently.