Taylor-Made's GAPR - low, mid & high - more photos added

GolfWRX_Spotted

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think I am surprised to hear the meh reviews on these. if they were that good the pros would be bagging them. and the only shot I can remember seeing a pro hit is the hook Tiger hit Saturday on 18 at the Open. Seems like a swing and a miss to this point. Maybe just a bad timing for release for the pros to bag em, but I would imagine that would have extensive testing on them before they were released to the public.

I dont think I am surprised to hear the meh reviews on these. if they were that good the pros would be bagging them. and the only shot I can remember seeing a pro hit is the hook Tiger hit Saturday on 18 at the Open. Seems like a swing and a miss to this point. Maybe just a bad timing for release for the pros to bag em, but I would imagine that would have extensive testing on them before they were released to the public.

Just got the demos in they hit and feel great just the look is meh to me and the adjustable hosel.

I hit the gapr hi. it's a traditional hybrid. it performed fairly well but not better than my trusty apex. it did have a fairly hard feel to it though. I didn't even bother trying the low or mid because I hit the ball low as it is so I had no need.

I hit the gapr hi. it's a traditional hybrid. it performed fairly well but not better than my trusty apex. it did have a fairly hard feel to it though. I didn't even bother trying the low or mid because I hit the ball low as it is so I had no need.

im 27 holes in with mine and love it .. its hot as hades off the face and straight as i want it to be

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

a Mid season product fill in hybrid brought out in attempt to get some hype during a major - with not a huge tangible difference between other hybrids, and not used or adopted by many pros.

TM did this before with the Raylor ( remember those during the us open ? ), and as many people remember the mini driver for Augusta.

Forecast for products like these is usually pretty low, mind set is typically sell as many as possible quick to hyped up early adopters and then let them slowly fade away.

Put the GAPR Mid lofted down to 16.5 with the stock shaft in as a 2 iron. This thing is a real weapon for me off the tee and for long approaches. The wide sole on the mid seems to perform well out of the rough. Best utility iron type club Ive ever played. forgiving long and versatile.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

im 27 holes in with mine and love it .. its hot as hades off the face and straight as i want it to be

Yeah I've had mine for a couple weeks now and I'm pretty impressed at least at the range. Have the LO 17*, AD-DI 85 stiff. Feels excellent off the face and I really like how it sets up at address.

Its been raining here for the last 47 days so I havent had any course time with it yet. And (un?)fortunately my Epic 3i is so good that IMO that are pretty equal. Waiting for some Trackman - and course - time to take a look at the numbers but I'd be pretty surprised if there was a huge difference.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I hit the gapr low 3 today with the kbs hybrid 80X shaft and let me tell you it was butter. I usually play a stiff shaft but the X felt great. I think I’m def gonna have to get the Low to replace my 790 udi

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

I just did an extensive test today

The mid was the easiest to hit hybrid ever. I’m a power hitter who doesn’t play enough. 5 woods go too high, hybrids go too far left, driving irons are hit well once in a good moon.

The mid was constantly rifiling shots between 230-250 carry. The 230 would have been 200 in the rough with my UDI.

Season is winding down here in Chicago. I’ll pick one up next year in spring when it starts picking up.

Or maybe I’ll track down a DHy. Probably the same club.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

I hit the mid and the lo at GG tonight. The low was better to me in looks, feel, and performance. I don't think I will be giving up my tour preferred udi's anytime soon though.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Went to Golf Galaxy's "fitting event" (which was just 2 or 3 clubs with stock shafts to try out). They had the Low, but only in the 3, not the 2. But I adjusted it down to the lowest setting, so it was playing at 17.5º versus the standard 17º 2 version.

Compared to my P790 UDI, it went higher, had more spin, and didn't get as much roll out. I was carrying the UDI about 5-10 yards further, and getting about 20 yards further on total with the low flight and extra roll.

GAPR is no bueno for me.

Went to Golf Galaxy's "fitting event" (which was just 2 or 3 clubs with stock shafts to try out). They had the Low, but only in the 3, not the 2. But I adjusted it down to the lowest setting, so it was playing at 17.5º versus the standard 17º 2 version.

Compared to my P790 UDI, it went higher, had more spin, and didn't get as much roll out. I was carrying the UDI about 5-10 yards further, and getting about 20 yards further on total with the low flight and extra roll.

GAPR is no bueno for me.

Stock shaft in your 790 UDI?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I've had mine for a couple weeks now and I'm pretty impressed at least at the range. Have the LO 17*, AD-DI 85 stiff. Feels excellent off the face and I really like how it sets up at address.

Its been raining here for the last 47 days so I havent had any course time with it yet. And (un?)fortunately my Epic 3i is so good that IMO that are pretty equal. Waiting for some Trackman - and course - time to take a look at the numbers but I'd be pretty surprised if there was a huge difference.

DC - I have the same combo as you arriving on Tuesday, can't wait to hit it.

interesting with the WITB of the main Tailor-made players none of them are using the GAPR, lots of UDI's

The tour guys can have their driving irons bent to whatever loft they need so they don't need adjustability. Probably a little too much technology for them to trust when they also can hit the center of a 2 iron most of the time versus us mortals.

interesting with the WITB of the main Tailor-made players none of them are using the GAPR, lots of UDI's

The tour guys can have their driving irons bent to whatever loft they need so they don't need adjustability. Probably a little too much technology for them to trust when they also can hit the center of a 2 iron most of the time versus us mortals.

fair enough.

I bought mine at 17* and got it bent to 18* and now love my UDI, taken me all summer to say that, it certainly fits in better with my set looks wise now I have the 919 Tours.

The GAPR LO is one ugly club from address, the Mid is nice for what it is.

still lots of UDIs in play and very few GAPR Los . wonder how many if any of the pros have changed from a UDI to a GAPR. was trying to look out at the Dunhill but seen very few 2 irons off the tee on the coverage.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I hit the mid and the lo at GG tonight. The low was better to me in looks, feel, and performance. I don't think I will be giving up my tour preferred udi's anytime soon though.

Have you by chance hit the 790 udi vs. your tour preferred udi?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

Played a GAPR HI 19 today! Really enjoyed it. Long, high arching shot. Def higher apex than previous hybrids I have hit. Nice compact head, no offset and it does what it supposed to do. So far a big fan!

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST MAX TD TC - 10.5 - MMT 60

TAYLORMADE Stealth Plus- 15 / 18 - PX Hzrdus Red

TAYLORMADE Gapr Hi - 22 - KBS Hybrid

TITLEIST '23 T200 - 5-PW - Steelfiber i95

VOKEY SM9 Blk 48/53/58- KBS Hi Rev 2.0 / TM Kia Ma Montecarlo

I've only tried the MID, as I assume that would be the ticket for me - Just the stock KBS HY shaft

I really wanted to like it. On feel - I'm gonna pass. The other reservation I have is I can't see spending that much $ for a club that will likely be replaced in Spring with something else from TM.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

I tried the Lo on the course today as that is the only one that looks OK to my eye.

In summary I won't be buying one as the feel is just too harsh. It feels like you are hitting a top flite or pinnacle rather than a Pro V and feel is important to me. Performance was OK, I would say typically 15 yards past my 790 4 iron and I was hoping for about 25 yards extra.

Shame as looked interesting. I still haven't found somewhere to try a 790 UDI yet which certainly looks a more demanding club than GAPR Lo and the Hzrdus black is probably not a good fit for me but hopefully the UDI feels similar to the rest of the 790 range as for me that feels far nicer than GAPR Lo.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried the Lo on the course today as that is the only one that looks OK to my eye.

In summary I won't be buying one as the feel is just too harsh. It feels like you are hitting a top flite or pinnacle rather than a Pro V and feel is important to me. Performance was OK, I would say typically 15 yards past my 790 4 iron and I was hoping for about 25 yards extra.

Shame as looked interesting. I still haven't found somewhere to try a 790 UDI yet which certainly looks a more demanding club than GAPR Lo and the Hzrdus black is probably not a good fit for me but hopefully the UDI feels similar to the rest of the 790 range as for me that feels far nicer than GAPR Lo.

I have the Lo with the AD hybrid 85 in it and I would agree that when you catch it high on the face it feels very dead. When I hit it out of the center it feels absolutely great.

I am using it as a tee ball primarily and today I had a couple of very long low bullets in the 246-265 zone. For me I hit low baby fades which is all good.

I am going to keep mine as once I learned to just swing normally and not try and help the launch it was money.

Have you by chance hit the 790 udi vs. your tour preferred udi?

Sorry for the delay, I just saw this today. Yes I have. The 790 UDI is good, but I got a really light head that I couldn't get the swing weight right without playing it at a really long length. That is why I switched back to the Tour Preffered. The Tour Preffered has a little wider sole, which helps hitting off the turf, but the 790 is a beast off the tee. They both have their positives and I was just more consistent with the Tour Preferred because of getting the swing weight where I like it to be. I am going to try the 790 again and add some more weight to it and see what happens next season.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7