2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2018 PGA Championship (Master Thread)

manku

You can't have a major championship Sunday during NFL football. Late September is an awful idea. Most of the country has stopped golfing at that point in the year.

Is MLB afraid of the big bad NFL? Are they going to move the World Series to June?

The lamest thing pro golf can do is try to compete for viewership or interest against the NFL or any other sport.

The best part of super bowl sunday is the Phoenix Open. I don't think that the NFL is something I would be scared of.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't have a major championship Sunday during NFL football. Late September is an awful idea. Most of the country has stopped golfing at that point in the year.

Is MLB afraid of the big bad NFL? Are they going to move the World Series to June?

The lamest thing pro golf can do is try to compete for viewership or interest against the NFL or any other sport.

The best part of super bowl sunday is the Phoenix Open. I don't think that the NFL is something I would be scared of.

Superbowl doesn’t compete with golf time wise. And the ratings for NFL games are ridiculous compared to golf. It’s be dumb to try to compete at the same time slot as the NFL

Superbowl doesn't compete with golf time wise. And the ratings for NFL games are ridiculous compared to golf. It's be dumb to try to compete at the same time slot as the NFL

Is it possibly one reason the nfl gets such good ratings is that nobody puts anything on at the same time? I would 100% put on golf over NFL. I don't put on NFL now, but as it stands I have no sports to watch during those fall sundays since everyone is too scared of the boring NFL.

Superbowl doesn't compete with golf time wise. And the ratings for NFL games are ridiculous compared to golf. It's be dumb to try to compete at the same time slot as the NFL

Is it possibly one reason the nfl gets such good ratings is that nobody puts anything on at the same time? I would 100% put on golf over NFL. I don't put on NFL now, but as it stands I have no sports to watch during those fall sundays since everyone is too scared of the boring NFL.

The NFL kills golf in the 1:00 and 4:00 games it goes up against. In prime time it would be way worse.

Anybody who thinks there are 1/10th as many TV-golf fans as TV-football fans must have been living in a cave somewhere for a few decades. NOTHING sports or otherwise can compete with NFL football for TV viewers. Or college football for that matter. TV golf can't outdraw the NBA or MLB, it isn't even in the same league (so to speak) as football.

NFL is a restricted product which inflates it's ratings. If there were as many nfl games as mlb games or golf events, it'd get similar ratings.

Plus there's the fact that, you know, regular people actually enjoy watching the NFL.

Are you saying if the PGA Tour would cut back to only a dozen tournaments a year each one of them would draw more viewers? Go ahead, pull the other one.

NFL is a restricted product which inflates it's ratings. If there were as many nfl games as mlb games or golf events, it'd get similar ratings.

PGA championship Sunday’s best rating in last decade, is lower than most 1pm NFL games. Sunday at Augusta’s TV ratings are below most 4pm and almost all primetime NFL games. And there’s only one Masters Sunday.

baseball and gold are the two most boring sports to watch on TV....playing them is a different story

False. Golf is fun and has constant activity, baseball is boring as all hell at ALL TIMES even while playing.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

baseball and gold are the two most boring sports to watch on TV....playing them is a different story

False. Golf is fun and has constant activity, baseball is boring as all hell at ALL TIMES even while playing.

Remember Robin Williams' riff on baseball players using cocaine?

"It's a g--d--- boring game! Plus I gotta stand there in the outfield looking at those white lines all day"

False. If you consider walking to your ball constant activity that's entertaining or waiting for a green to clear from the Fairway for 5 to 10 minutes entertaining, or looking for a lost ball entertaining, e t c, then you are right. But those things are not entertaining they can be quite frustrating and in fact boring. Your statement just reflects a biased opinion on which sport you like. Baseball does have its down times, especially when watching, but as a past baseball player I thought the game was the most enjoyable thing on planet Earth. I liked it, and I was good at it, and it was exciting to me. Your statement doesn't hold much water, as they say.

False. If you consider walking to your ball constant activity that's entertaining or waiting for a green to clear from the Fairway for 5 to 10 minutes entertaining, or looking for a lost ball entertaining, e t c, then you are right. But those things are not entertaining they can be quite frustrating and in fact boring. Your statement just reflects a biased opinion on which sport you like. Baseball does have its down times, especially when watching, but as a past baseball player I thought the game was the most enjoyable thing on planet Earth. I liked it, and I was good at it, and it was exciting to me. Your statement doesn't hold much water, as they say.

you make it sound like the cameras only capture one group playing lol

Well now that it's all said and done, what an amazing tournament! Great leaderboard and form from everyone on Sunday, exceptional crowds and just a lot of fun. The course might have been a tad soft but overall I loved it.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

He’s talking about watching, not playing.

But Mikey, you made 5 eagles last year wasnt that exciting?

Yeah but the walking to the ball part wasn’t.

Yeah but the walking to the ball part wasn't.

lol

Well now that it's all said and done, what an amazing tournament! Great leaderboard and form from everyone on Sunday, exceptional crowds and just a lot of fun. The course might have been a tad soft but overall I loved it.

Agreed. I liked it too. Great entertainment, with Tiger in the mix. And a golf course that was enjoyable to see TV golf from even though big weather challenges. Not 2017 Quail Hollow amazing but highly enjoyable.

Stevie Williams thought he was bigger than the role of a caddie.

So true, and for Stevie to say His Win with AS was his greatest was a complete Joke.........

TM M3 440 9" Degree / 661 111 in X spec Speeder Shaft
TM M3 15 Fairway / 757 Speeder Shaft S Spec
Ping G25 17deg Hybrid Accra Shaft X Spec
Mizuno MP18 Blades Modus 3 Tours 3-PW - S Flex
Titleist SM 6 50, 54 & 58
Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour only

baseball and golf are the two most boring sports to watch on TV....playing them is a different story

Golf has constant activity? for us real hardcore fans as we may enjoy watching Spieth line up his putt for 10 minutes each time, then back off the putt and take another 10 minutes, but anyone who isn't a huge fan would rather watch paint dry. I have heard it my entire life from all my friends who are huge sports fans. For some reason they think baseball is exciting but not golf.

He’s talking about watching, not playing.

WHAT? did you read his post?

¥¥¥¥¥

False. Golf is fun and has constant activity, baseball is boring as all hell at ALL TIMES even while playing

I remember playing outfield in minor league when I was 9......watching planes fly over head because the outfield was sooooooo boring....no action.....when I moved to pitching and later on to first base, it was exciting to play.....for a 3.5 hour Major league game to have 9 total minutes of action is borderline ridiculous...that's why MLB is looking to add a timer for pitchers, asking batters to stay in the box and not step out every time to adjust their peanuts.....when a hit actually takes place, its exciting or a strikeout occurs, but my lord.....its worse than watching golf....at least when watching golf, the broadcast can show you 50 different players hitting the ball......or if tiger is playing, you see every single thing he does.

For baseball to be exciting a person has to be thinking along the lines of the managers. Do you start the runner, hit and run, play right/left percentages, or go by gut feel, etc. Baseball is as much a thinking game as it an action game.

It’s when pitchers are very deliberate, and can’t find the strike zone when the game really starts to plod along though. We were in Denver last week for a Rockies/Dodgers game. A 5-4 game took almost four hours. Pitchers were frustrated and deep in counts all night, a lot of walks. Found out later from a friend who watched it on TV that the home plate ump was really squeezing both pitchers. That just can’t happen.

For baseball to be exciting a person has to be thinking along the lines of the managers. Do you start the runner, hit and run, play right/left percentages, or go by gut feel, etc. Baseball is as much a thinking game as it an action game.

It’s when pitchers are very deliberate, and can’t find the strike zone when the game really starts to plod along though. We were in Denver last week for a Rockies/Dodgers game. A 5-4 game took almost four hours. Pitchers were frustrated and deep in counts all night, a lot of walks. Found out later from a friend who watched it on TV that the home plate ump was really squeezing both pitchers. That just can’t happen.

A lot of that hit and run, start the runner stuff actually hurts as much as it helps. So the modern game is evolving to take a lot of pitches, draw walks if you must, hit home runs if you can. It really does turn into an endless series of pitches nibbling at the strike zone of the day interspersed with power pitches that either get an out or produce a long ball.