2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2018 PGA Championship (Master Thread)

manku

the course set up was horrible all week....way to easy for a major.....because tiger brought crowds roaring to life it seemed as if there was drama......but getting a birdie on 18 to cut the lead to 2 is not really drama....3 back coming into the last hole was much ado about nothing

No drama? I'm not sure you know what that word means.

When you say course setup, do you mean the course generally? Like what setup changes needed to be made?

I thought with the greens being so soft and slow, the pin placements should have been better. I also did not like the fact they moved some of the tees up 50 yards to take out some of the bunkers on the long holes. I felt the set up was boring and didn't challenge these guys. Way too many scores in the mid 60's, even for average players.

to me, the drama was more hype than actual drama....for a minute there, Scott tied it later in the round, but Tigers drama was very overhyped to me....if he didn't bogey 14, it may have been a lot better to me....Tiger making birdie on 18 being down 3 meant nothing outside of the crowd just loving tiger

Tees were probably moved up so Tiger wouldn't need to hit driver. Every tournament going forward wants to be the one where the great one wins again. Wider than normal fairways and a little less length. Book it!

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the course set up was horrible all week....way to easy for a major.....because tiger brought crowds roaring to life it seemed as if there was drama......but getting a birdie on 18 to cut the lead to 2 is not really drama....3 back coming into the last hole was much ado about nothing

When you say course setup, do you mean the course generally? Like what setup changes needed to be made?

I thought with the greens being so soft and slow, the pin placements should have been better. I also did not like the fact they moved some of the tees up 50 yards to take out some of the bunkers on the long holes. I felt the set up was boring and didn't challenge these guys. Way too many scores in the mid 60's, even for average players.

to me, the drama was more hype than actual drama....for a minute there, Scott tied it later in the round, but Tigers drama was very overhyped to me....if he didn't bogey 14, it may have been a lot better to me....Tiger making birdie on 18 being down 3 meant nothing outside of the crowd just loving tiger

Tees were probably moved up so Tiger wouldn't need to hit driver. Every tournament going forward wants to be the one where the great one wins again. Wider than normal fairways and a little less length. Book it!

Which tee was moved up on Sunday? Why does this benefit Tiger to the expense of everyone else?

Which tee was moved up on Sunday? Why does this benefit Tiger to the expense of everyone else?

It is an interesting theory though. What tournament wouldn’t want to be the one where he gets his first win?

While I don’t hide my lack of appreciation for the media attention given to Tiger Woods, it would be disengenous to not appreciate the level of where he has brought his game. I think he has the game to win again but obviously he is one of many. We will all see if he can once again be the best on a given week!

If so, I hope it is in Hawaii and not Augusta:-)

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

I was thinking. If twist face technology actually worked, Tiger would have one this thing! :)

+1. Hilarious the guy who talks more about a product in a commercial than he ever has before can't use same product technology effectively. Or maybe it does work and it kept TWs ball from OB!

I can't think of a bigger product feature failure in golf (and people still buy it).

Failure? Koepka uses it too. In fact like half the field uses it.

The pros are not getting any benefit from twist face. They are not missing the sweet spot by that much. The ball does go offline though if you have an extremely open or closed face and hit the sweet spot.

Missing the point really. The guy says Twist Face is a sham because Tiger isn't that accurate. That makes no sense.

Mu reply really was to the prior post-"guy who talks more about a product in a commercial than he ever has before can't use same product technology effectively. Or maybe it does work and it kept TWs ball from OB!" Pretty sure we are agreeing here. Twist face helps extreme mishits only.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

I posted my theory just upthread. He is as much "back" as he's ever going to be and he is just a capable of winning as Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas or a handful of others.

He may or may not actually do it in the Majors remaining in his career but there's nothing lacking in his game.

He is not and never will be again so dominant that something less than his very best performance is still good enough for a runaway win in a Major. He'll have to settle for being one of the best players in the world as just hammering away until he finds a way to win on a given week.

You really honestly don’t think he can sharpen his game up AT ALL from where it is right now? Like not one single bit? Lag putts couldn’t end up little closer? Approach shots couldn’t settle in a little tighter? Bad drives couldn’t get a little less offline? And extra putt or two start to drop? Not one single bit of improvement can happen only 10 months in?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

The problem with that argument is 10 months into his return isn't a weak excuse. Most ACL players don't get back until year 2 except for Adrian Peterson.

Most people with a surgical repair back don't even play golf again.

He's has 7 top 12s in 14 tournaments including a legit chance to win two majors in the back 9 on a Sunday. Big picture here is this is nothing short of amazing. Obviously I'm guilty of being overly excited when the return began but after seeing this who can blame me.

The talent is still there. The eye test tells me he will win again.

I agree Jere. The talent is there, he is healthy. He does look like he will win. Hence my statement. If he is still "coming back", then at this point, what is he coming back from? It's not physical now.

So has he forgotten how to win? If by some chance he never wins again (hypothetical here, not a prediction), then did he never make it back?

My point is, i think he is "back". But being back now may be just this, contention. With probably some wins sprinkled in. But I think a lot of hardcore fans think he's going to come back to what or where he was previously. That he's going to win damn near every time he tees it up, and completely dominate again.

And now, every time he comes close, but doesn't end up on top, we hear it again. The rationalizations (or excuses in my book) for why he didn't win. Because he's still in his comeback.

A poignant observation, very well made. He has been very careful up until now to keep a lid on expectations.

I think it's likely that deep down he's struggling with the fact that he is NOT as good as he was and he's not figured out how to get over the line yet. In the past, just being near the top of the leaderboard could be enough to win because he was in their heads and fear caused mistakes.

He's done the sensible thing and avoided saying "I will win by X point" but as the season draws to a close he knows the longer he goes without winning, the less he can blame rehab or "coming back" on not doing so. If that's the case he's going to have to come up with other "reasons" or finally address/admit the fact he's not the same and perhaps doesn't have enough to get over the line anymore. If he does that then he needs to think about whether he wants to compete for top 10s and not trophies. Will that be enough?

I think that's where he's at. Regardless of finishing second, fifth or holding a lead throughout the tournament the fact is he's been several shots off a win when it's all said and done. Now I think what he's done so far has been incredible but can a 42 year old with multiple injury, several back and neck surgeries REALLY make up several shots against today's field?

I'm not so sure as he will have to play better than he ever has to beat the current field and parts of his game aren't strong enough yet.

He's got a choice to make and that choice will involve him being honest about if he can win again. If he genuinely believes he can then he'll need to stop being the nearly man and get it done. He might just push too hard and I'm not sure his body will take a full time, concerted effort at beating the best on the planet season after season.

We agree a little bit-yet is the key word. He has had three events this season that he has beaten 99.35% of the field. That is finishing 2nd in a full field of 156. Is that cause for celebration in the Tiger camp? Probably not but it is cause for cautious optimism. He certainly is not looking at "season after season" of beating the best. It certainly appears that all he is doing is exceeding the expectations for 2018. All that was hoped for was good health. With good health will likely come results. But no one on tour is guaranteed anything. No one is an absolute lock to win any event-ever. Who would have thought that Spieth would have been winless this year? A player can have his best effort and still lose-see Phil in the 2016 British.

All that said IF he stays healthy I would certainly expect a few wins in the next 16 months or so. He will certainly be on the short list of players to beat every event.

I'm just thankful I haven't had to listen to Samuel L Jackson asking me What's In Your Wallet?

When is that clown moving out of the country? He claimed he was gone if Trump won. I'll help him pack!

He was packed and ready to go but there were to many snakes on his plane.

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

"I think everyone wanted Speith to be the next “Tiger” (why don’t we hear the term “Bear Apparent” anymore?) It looks like Justin Thomas, his close friend is the real “Jordan Speith”. In an eerie parallel I think that Brooks Koepka is going to be the real “Dustin Johnson”."

from comments in this: http://www.golfwrx.com/525170/brooks-koepka-a-machine-built-to-win-majors/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

i like it

The problem with that argument is 10 months into his return isn't a weak excuse. Most ACL players don't get back until year 2 except for Adrian Peterson.

He's has 7 top 12s in 14 tournaments including a legit chance to win two majors in the back 9 on a Sunday. Big picture here is this is nothing short of amazing. Obviously I'm guilty of being overly excited when the return began but after seeing this who can blame me.

I agree Jere. The talent is there, he is healthy. He does look like he will win. Hence my statement. If he is still "coming back", then at this point, what is he coming back from? It's not physical now.

So has he forgotten how to win? If by some chance he never wins again (hypothetical here, not a prediction), then did he never make it back?

My point is, i think he is "back". But being back now may be just this, contention. With probably some wins sprinkled in. But I think a lot of hardcore fans think he's going to come back to what or where he was previously. That he's going to win damn near every time he tees it up, and completely dominate again.

And now, every time he comes close, but doesn't end up on top, we hear it again. The rationalizations (or excuses in my book) for why he didn't win. Because he's still in his comeback.

A poignant observation, very well made. He has been very careful up until now to keep a lid on expectations.

I think it's likely that deep down he's struggling with the fact that he is NOT as good as he was and he's not figured out how to get over the line yet. In the past, just being near the top of the leaderboard could be enough to win because he was in their heads and fear caused mistakes.

He's done the sensible thing and avoided saying "I will win by X point" but as the season draws to a close he knows the longer he goes without winning, the less he can blame rehab or "coming back" on not doing so. If that's the case he's going to have to come up with other "reasons" or finally address/admit the fact he's not the same and perhaps doesn't have enough to get over the line anymore. If he does that then he needs to think about whether he wants to compete for top 10s and not trophies. Will that be enough?

I think that's where he's at. Regardless of finishing second, fifth or holding a lead throughout the tournament the fact is he's been several shots off a win when it's all said and done. Now I think what he's done so far has been incredible but can a 42 year old with multiple injury, several back and neck surgeries REALLY make up several shots against today's field?

I'm not so sure as he will have to play better than he ever has to beat the current field and parts of his game aren't strong enough yet.

He's got a choice to make and that choice will involve him being honest about if he can win again. If he genuinely believes he can then he'll need to stop being the nearly man and get it done. He might just push too hard and I'm not sure his body will take a full time, concerted effort at beating the best on the planet season after season.

We agree a little bit-yet is the key word. He has had three events this season that he has beaten 99.35% of the field. That is finishing 2nd in a full field of 156. Is that cause for celebration in the Tiger camp? Probably not but it is cause for cautious optimism. He certainly is not looking at "season after season" of beating the best. It certainly appears that all he is doing is exceeding the expectations for 2018. All that was hoped for was good health. With good health will likely come results. But no one on tour is guaranteed anything. No one is an absolute lock to win any event-ever. Who would have thought that Spieth would have been winless this year? A player can have his best effort and still lose-see Phil in the 2016 British.

All that said IF he stays healthy I would certainly expect a few wins in the next 16 months or so. He will certainly be on the short list of players to beat every event.

That’s probably the best summation I’ve read yet in regards to Tiger’s year.

His approach on 17 and putt on 18 tell me he's got it figured out for sure, and it's just a matter of when he wins. The golf crowd adores him, warts and all.

I hope he does win. As you know I was very critical last year of his return because it was obvious he wasn't ready and wasn't truthful about that fact.

As I said above, what he has done and how he has played is incredible given the circumstances. The wider point being discussed (and it's apparently OK for everyone bar me to speculate) is at what point is he "back" and going to start acknowledging the expectations on him and the fact he's fallen short so far?

People adore him more now than they ever did before. That's fine. If anyone believes he is truly happy just being out there, finishing 32nd in The Masters and making the odd top 5 or top 10 I'd question if they'd ever watched him or listened to him at his peak.

Fact is, he's figured out how to hit incredible golf shots again. He's hit loads this year. That's different from figuring out how to win though.

I'd be delighted if he does but at no point has his driving or putting looked like it was going to hold up for four days.

No it is not winning but finishing 2nd on the "too deep for him to win tour" is not "holding up for four days"? You did touch on the issue though. He tried to play last year and was not ready. That was late January of 2017. Before that his last official event was August 2015!!! Let that sink in a bit...ponder it....that was three years ago. Two(?) back surgeries. So "all" he has done this year is to figure out how he can move his body with fused discs in his back. Basically learning a new swing. And in 14 events it's considered to be something lacking because he has not won?

Wow.

"I think everyone wanted Speith to be the next “Tiger” (why don’t we hear the term “Bear Apparent” anymore?) It looks like Justin Thomas, his close friend is the real “Jordan Speith”. In an eerie parallel I think that Brooks Koepka is going to be the real “Dustin Johnson”."

from comments in this: http://www.golfwrx.com/525170/brooks-koepka-a-machine-built-to-win-majors/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Center_Top&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=main

i like it

This is absurd. Jordan Speith has more majors and wins than JT. I mean come on, Speith has had a down year but he won a major just a year ago and almost won the Open this year. Do we really have that short-term of memories!?

Yes.. DJ has just one major but he has 15 (!) more pga tour wins than brooks. If not for a couple of all time unlucky breaks DJ has 2-3 majors to his name. DJ is still the #1 player in he world and won just two weeks ago...

Brooks Koepka right now is Pádraig Harrington. Back to back opens and a pga in the same year of his second open win.

Agreed. He's doing things that no-one in their wildest dreams could have predicted. I'm rooting for him. I believe that if he finishes this season without any further incident and recovers over the New Year he'll have a good shot at winning next year. The way that he's playing you could say he's good for a win or two a year going forward but so much is going to be down to what goals he's set himself privately, what he will be happy with achieving in reality and if his body holds up.

I know we're probably not looking at another ten years of Tiger but (and yes I'm speculating again) it's not so hard to believe that he really does want to win so badly that he keeps teeing it up, pushing himself physically and mentally until he either does win or breaks down completely.

No it is not winning but finishing 2nd on the "too deep for him to win tour" is not "holding up for four days"? You did touch on the issue though. He tried to play last year and was not ready. That was late January of 2017. Before that his last official event was August 2015!!! Let that sink in a bit...ponder it....that was three years ago. Two(?) back surgeries. So "all" he has done this year is to figure out how he can move his body with fused discs in his back. Basically learning a new swing. And in 14 events it's considered to be something lacking because he has not won?

Wow.

I think this summarizes well, like Chamblee said yesterday, Tiger is learning a new swing, and is starting to see good results, a la 1999 in the majors, so watch out next year.

More amateur analyzing, lol, of Tiger's mind.

Can a 42 year old "REALLY" make up several shots against today's field?

Well, if you watched Sunday, that's exactly what he did, way better than "the field" except one guy, same with the two days before.

This stuff is laughable.

Saved me some writing. Thanks.

just found out that Tiger's score of 266 is the lowest score shot by ANYBODY in a major..

...and he didn't win!

...and it was with his B game at best!

let's now imagine what he can do with his A game----if it ever comes out again!!

PS: JUST CORRECTED THIS---lowest shot by a non-winner and second lowest ever shot in a major..

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

just found out that Tiger's score of 266 is the lowest score shot by ANYBODY in a major..

...and he didn't win!

...and it was with his B game at best!

let's now imagine what he can do with his A game----if it ever comes out again!!

Umm...

I think he had the lowest 2,3,4 combined score...

Kind of hard to hold a 4 round tournament record and not be the winner.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

More amateur analyzing, lol, of Tiger's mind.

Can a 42 year old "REALLY" make up several shots against today's field?

Well, if you watched Sunday, that's exactly what he did, way better than "the field" except one guy, same with the two days before.

This stuff is laughable.

Hawk, he didn’t make them up against the field though. The field is everyone. It doesn’t do any good to beat all but one person (if winning is THE main objective).

I believe there are a lot of positives again to be taken from the week, and I do believe he will close the deal again, but its not there yet.

I'm just responding to the idea he can't "make up" shots against these younger, whatever players. He proved that wrong on Sunday. He didn't win, but relative to the field he went forward while pretty much everyone else except Adam who was up there at the start of Sunday dropped like a rock and a couple guys out of it also shot -6. Made up 2 on the leader who played great as well. Only a couple guys with no chance to win had better rounds than he did.

Where he goes from here, I have no idea - was just railing against this idea that people can read his mind and then make a claim that was just disproved by watching the tournament.

No doubt winning is what meant the most to him for sure!