2018 PGA Championship (Master Thread)

manku

Brooks Koepka is now going to be a World Golf Hall of Famer. The dude never fliched. Incredible golf even though Tiger had a number of opportunities to better him.

He really didnt though...

LOL keep dreaming. Putt on 1, putt on 11 that didn’t drop, and misplaying 17 when he was on in two yesterday.

That’s not how golf goes though. For every one you should’ve made that didn’t go in you have one that defies logic. It’s yang and Yang. That’s what makes sports so compelling. If your quarterback would’ve thrown those three interceptions you would’ve won the game. But that’s part of the game.

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this yada yada about Tiger beat a bunch of posers to get this 14 majors. All the yada yada about he can't hang with today's big boys. Today was indicative of how great Tiger was and still is. Tiger did this with a D game off the tee.

There's no way in hell Tiger would have won at such a prolific rate had he been in his prime now. Sorry. He'd still be great but the class of players is much better and much deeper.

Lmao riiiiiiiiight

The talent then was just as deep a now. Tiger was just that much better and it wasn't even close. Dude was so dominant.

So what's your subjective impression of various parts of Tiger's game in 2000 versus 2018?

Do you think is a less accurate off the tee now versus then?

Do you think he hits it shorter or generates less clubhead speed now versus then?

Do you think his short game now is better, worse or about the same as then?

How about putting, has he lost a stroke per tournament? A stroke per round?

And most importantly, how do you think his long-iron game today stacks up against Tiger Y2K? Not relative to the compeition but relative to his own past performance.

To me a looks like he is slightly less phenominal as a putter today than he was in his prime. But I think his driver swing (clubhead speed plus accuracy) is the equal of where it's been at any point in his life. His short game is harder to judge but that's probably where he's lost his edge IMO.

And he can still hit long irons with the best of them, it's just that a hundred other guys are within spitting distance of his long-iron game today. Back then it was nobody.

If he were 100% as good as he was back then I think he'd have won a major since his comeback. But even then he wasn't good enough to be winning gobs of tournaments and majors against the rest of today's fields. IMO.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Brooks Koepka is now going to be a World Golf Hall of Famer. The dude never fliched. Incredible golf even though Tiger had a number of opportunities to better him.

He really didnt though...

LOL keep dreaming. Putt on 1, putt on 11 that didn't drop, and misplaying 17 when he was on in two yesterday.

That's not how golf goes though. For every one you should've made that didn't go in you have one that defies logic. It's yang and Yang. That's what makes sports so compelling. If your quarterback would've thrown those three interceptions you would've won the game. But that's part of the game.

Also, the hole length was dramatically different Sat vs sun. Saturday, there were dozens of players on in 2. ON Sunday, there were maybe 4. Tiger had a chance to get on in two, but it wasn't highly probable. He definitely had a chance at bird though.

To the people complaining about the golf course.. We got exactly what the PGA wanted, the best players playing at the top on a Sunday. Yes the scores were lower for a major, greens were slower. But we all got a show, and for me as a golf fan and a proud STL citizen, Bellerive showed well. Holes like 3, 6, 11, 16, 17 all were great. It irks me that when majors roll around people get upset when courses are too hard, then we get upset when courses are too easy. All I want is the top golfers battling it out on the last 9 holes.. and thats what we got yesterday

And the winning score wasn’t that much lower than winning score at Masters. Setup the course and let the players play - Augusta, British Open and PGA do a great job with this

All this yada yada about Tiger beat a bunch of posers to get this 14 majors. All the yada yada about he can't hang with today's big boys. Today was indicative of how great Tiger was and still is. Tiger did this with a D game off the tee.

There's no way in hell Tiger would have won at such a prolific rate had he been in his prime now. Sorry. He'd still be great but the class of players is much better and much deeper.

Serious? 42 year old Tiger is equal and more than likely better than the current young studs. He will win many tournaments the next few years. And nobody in their right mind would deny that 20-30 year old Tiger would mop the floor with 42 year old Tiger. These guys playing now are good, but are not close to Tiger of old.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

To the people complaining about the golf course.. We got exactly what the PGA wanted, the best players playing at the top on a Sunday. Yes the scores were lower for a major, greens were slower. But we all got a show, and for me as a golf fan and a proud STL citizen, Bellerive showed well. Holes like 3, 6, 11, 16, 17 all were great. It irks me that when majors roll around people get upset when courses are too hard, then we get upset when courses are too easy. All I want is the top golfers battling it out on the last 9 holes.. and thats what we got yesterday

I thought the golf course and tournament were top notch. Without the rains it would have been better but the conditions were the same for every player. The fairways were generous and the players hit drivers to make it exciting, but paid the price when they missed them.

Great event and an incredible showing by the St. Louis golf fans!

FAst fact.... Tiger shot his best final round ever in a major and his best four round total at a major and still couldn't win.

Bonus fact... Tiger is now 0-66 when trailing in a major on Sunday.

triple bonus fact... I won't be waiting for the 'hater' comments from people who can't handle facts

Ping G400 Max AD IZ 6s
2016 TI M2 HL AD IZ 7s
M2 4h AD DI 8s
Ping G400 5hy ADDI 9s
718 TMB 6-Gap Modus 130s
Scratch 53 Modus 125
Scratch 57 Modus 125
PXG 03x 60* Modus 125

Scotty Cameron Custom 009 HHH

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/982109-joes-witb-set-for-2014-update-2015/#entry10682349"]WITB Link[/url]

FAst fact.... Tiger shot his best final round ever in a major and his best four round total at a major and still couldn't win.

Bonus fact... Tiger is now 0-66 when trailing in a major on Sunday.

triple bonus fact... I won't be waiting for the 'hater' comments from people who can't handle facts

...?

the fact tiger fans can understand or not understand facts does not detract from the fact that you have a very real hate of tiger woods.

c'mon man. he was a long way back from brooks at the start, the fact he finished where he did is an accomplishment - the idea of him winning at the beginning of the day was a pipe dream; and that's coming from a tiger fan.

*Note* -- i am a tiger fan for him as a golfer because i believe that some of his accomplishments in this sport will never be matched, and i respect what he's done; i do not like tiger as a man outside the ropes.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

SC Phantom 5.5 (2024) 35”

Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"

Good tournament by TW, he'll win the next one. One thing to keep in mind kids, you NEVER give up in golf. Guy was +3 through the first two holes of the tourney, battles back to finish 2nd place. You can never look back in golf, only look forward. That goes for TW and everyone else on tour.

Thanks TW for the performance, a true people's champion.

Lmao riiiiiiiiight

The talent then was just as deep a now. Tiger was just that much better and it wasn't even close. Dude was so dominant.

So what's your subjective impression of various parts of Tiger's game in 2000 versus 2018?

Do you think he hits it shorter or generates less clubhead speed now versus then?

And most importantly, how do you think his long-iron game today stacks up against Tiger Y2K? Not relative to the compeition but relative to his own past performance.

To me a looks like he is slightly less phenominal as a putter today than he was in his prime. But I think his driver swing (clubhead speed plus accuracy) is the equal of where it's been at any point in his life. His short game is harder to judge but that's probably where he's lost his edge IMO.

And he can still hit long irons with the best of them, it's just that a hundred other guys are within spitting distance of his long-iron game today. Back then it was nobody.

If he were 100% as good as he was back then I think he'd have won a major since his comeback. But even then he wasn't good enough to be winning gobs of tournaments and majors against the rest of today's fields. IMO.

He was #1 in total driving for the year 2000. This was during a time when the average Tour player hit a lot more fairways than they do now. He is a much worse driver of the golf ball now than he was between 1997-2002. Around the time he went to Haney in 2003/2004 is when he went off the map with the driver. But even with that issue he was still winning crazy amounts due to phenomenal iron game, course management, and putting. He went through a stretch between January 2006 and June 2008 where he won 19 of 37 starts on the PGA Tour.

Lmao riiiiiiiiight

If old man, back fused, haven't played in 2 years, TW can be sole 2nd/-14, 2 shots back.

Can you imagine what this TW would have shot this week at the PGA!?

Tiger-Woods-2000-U.S.-Open-PGAPappas-Pete-Pappas.jpg

Would have been obscene.

Lmao riiiiiiiiight

I think his mental game is the difference. Back then, you just knew and he knew, that he was going to pull off the shot... that he was going to eagle birdie birdie to win... or make that putt. His mental game, focus, and ability to actually pull it off was what separated Tiger from the rest. You saw some of that look, the swagger, on 14. Then, to hit that drive on 15.... that just didn’t happen before.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG Black Ops 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I was at the course all day sat and sun. Does anyone know how I can re-watch the tournament?

Oops...You should have signed up for free trial of YouTubeTV and recorded it. Possibly it is available on Comcast/Xfinity on demand.

Ugh, should've thought about that ahead of time. I don't have any DVR situation, unfortunately.

I was thinking. If twist face technology actually worked, Tiger would have one this thing! :)

+1. Hilarious the guy who talks more about a product in a commercial than he ever has before can't use same product technology effectively. Or maybe it does work and it kept TWs ball from OB!

I can't think of a bigger product feature failure in golf (and people still buy it).

I was at the course all day sat and sun. Does anyone know how I can re-watch the tournament?

Oops...You should have signed up for free trial of YouTubeTV and recorded it. Possibly it is available on Comcast/Xfinity on demand.

Ugh, should've thought about that ahead of time. I don't have any DVR situation, unfortunately.

Sign up now for YouTubeTV free trial and watch/record round 4 replay tonight 11pm EST on CBS

Sign up now for YouTubeTV free trial and watch/record round 4 replay tonight 11pm EST on CBS

I don't see that on the listings am i missing something?

edit:: found it. Signed up. Thanks!

Unbelievably good iron play from Woods but I can't recall ever seeing so many errant shots go unpunished especially in major, great spectacle nonetheless.

Course was very underwhelming. Saved by the quality of the leaderboard.

Agreed, whithout the Tiger hysteria we would be here hoping not to see this course again (which we probably will)

I don't agree with that. I enjoyed it, rough was rough were it should be. It looked like an "adult" version of the courses I play (ignoring the tropical conditions...)

I missed most of the PGA as I was playing in a great fun tournament all weekend. Skimmed this thread and took away a few points:

Tournament first day or two - boring, terrible course, poor PGA setup, worst PGA ever, etc.

Last day - BEST.PGA.EVAH.TIGERRRRRRRRRR

Koepka wins because he takes steroids.

The old Tiger would have destroyed this field. Lol, seriously!

The things that I felt were important is: the guys at the top REALLY wanted this the most. The young guns are going to re-focus and get their game on. Tiger may have lost some of his skills, but the burning desire is still there. That makes him extremely dangerous. Koepka is showing that same desire. Molinari showed that he isn't just a flash in the pan. Scott and Cink? I don't know what to say about that! Love Adam, but that putter, must.....avert....mine eyes..... Lastly, Rory will need to make a Herculean effort to get his wedge and iron play fixed, along with his putting, otherwise he will never live up to his hype, ever. (I'm a big fan).

Suddenly, the Ryder Cup is looking a bit more interesting :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

Solo 2nd!!

What did tiger woods say about second place?

I've seen to forgotten.

I am guessing we all said something in our youth that we feel a bit differently about today.

It's called perspective Hoge's. At this point in time his feelings about a big 2nd have changed. In a year there may be more bitter disappointment over a 2nd or he may be off the tour with a broken back.

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar