2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The 2018 Ryder Cup at Le Golf National (MERGED)

fillwelix

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity.

Try watching the tv with your eyes open next time.

The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

You make a good point. We fans might think it would just be great if there was something the PGA Tour could do to increase the USA's chances, by altering how they present their product, but face it, this comes around every two years, and they make a ton of money on it whether they win or lose, in fact losing seems to spur even more interest in The States, and they are making plenty of money week in and week out with their current priority scheme.

Maybe one thing they could do would be to somehow promote the idea of top US players playing in the regular Euro tournament played at the projected Ryder Cup venue, but that would take those players away from their own event, so it would take some effort and planning, like scheduling an off week on the US Tour that particular week. Would they consider it?

Would it really make any difference?

It doesn't really matter. We have home and away. The home team set up a course they think will benefit themselves.

I would like the guys arguing that USA courses are tight or tighter to tell me why the European guys set this course up the way they have?

nothing tight about this course except they moved the fairways in ..Tight is tree lined... you can hit the bubba slice here if you want , you just have to gauge the startline .. You cant do that on a tree lined "tight " course

Yep good point. Maybe narrow in this case.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

poor tiger, always unlucky with his partners and opponents in the ryder cup.Its never his fault... imagine his record if he played any top tiered players in singles over the years

It's partially his fault. It's not entirely his fault. The two things co-exist.

Nah, when youre the player of Tigers ilk and legend after a while the pattern is who you are and its 99% on you.if youre so far above the competition 362 days a year ( were talking prime tiger) and you suddenly forget how to play for 3 days over and over its very telling. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset and expected a little more as hes a new guy now with a better attitude. but..

tenor.gif

Just because prime Tiger can win a U.S. Open by 15 shots doesn't mean he can just turn it on whenever he wants. On how many occasions did he not contend in a major or any tournament throughout the period? You can stop feigning interest in Tiger's success. It's wasted energy.

Between Tigers first major and last major win he only finished worse than T25 5 times and cut once over that 11 years

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

this thread getting hot like Paulina butt in a bathing suit.

how long were you saving that one up? delete your browser history or the wife will get upset! ;)

too long...

I just cannot believe that the european players feel more comfortable playing at home.

Do the americans get together and practice the alternate shot format, etc before the event? If not that might be some low hanging fruit to get better....

From my tv viewing of usa courses you have nothing like the diversity.

The good news for Europe is that there is no chance the US PGA Tour will alter its setups to try to win a Ryder Cup in Europe once every four years. The US will just have to settle for outplaying the other team.

You make a good point. We fans might think it would just be great if there was something the PGA Tour could do to increase the USA's chances, by altering how they present their product, but face it, this comes around every two years, and they make a ton of money on it whether they win or lose, in fact losing seems to spur even more interest in The States, and they are making plenty of money week in and week out with their current priority scheme.

Maybe one thing they could do would be to somehow promote the idea of top US players playing in the regular Euro tournament played at the projected Ryder Cup venue, but that would take those players away from their own event, so it would take some effort and planning, like scheduling an off week on the US Tour that particular week. Would they consider it?

It doesn't really matter. We have home and away. The home team set up a course they think will benefit themselves.

I would like the guys arguing that USA courses are tight or tighter to tell me why the European guys set this course up the way they have?

nothing tight about this course except they moved the fairways in ..Tight is tree lined... you can hit the bubba slice here if you want , you just have to gauge the startline .. You cant do that on a tree lined "tight " course

But apparently we don't have any of those here.

All the courses you mention have braken and heather where no trees.

Why do you think they set up the Ryder cup course the way it is?

Wow. OK you don't actually know what you are talking about. Sorry I don't mean to be rude - and no really I'm not trying to be patronizing by then apologizing - but really you don't.

Go play a heathland course or a links course and tell me it is remotely like this weeks course.

This week's course is TPC Sawgrass + Kiawah Island, with brutal rough thicker than Robert Rocks hair.

The course is set up this way to throw the US off their typical tour event bomb and gouge approach and the course was also selected due to it being the host of a major Euro event the European tour players are largely familiar with. Seriously, that is why. It has NOTHING to do with what courses the players played when they were teens or early twenties. Seriously how many ever came up on these mini-tours you're talking about: Rose, Fleetwood, Hatton, Stenson? The rest were already on the main pro tour or playing US college golf.

This is getting boring now but I will give it one more go. The point I was making about heather and braken on links and heathland was that you dont need trees and rough to make a fairway miss super penal or a lost ball. Come and play Southerness if you want an example.

Yes they did set this course up because its not what the USA guys are used to. That was my whole point so thanks for that.

All the players you mentioned played the extensive UK youth and Amateur tours which are played on exactly the courses in question.

Wow. OK maybe you're just back in from the pub and had a few too many. But really you're all over the shop with your posts.

So now we're going down to the boy's level? Ya Bjorn really really didn't have the courses these guys played when they were 13 in mind today ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

The hypothesis that the Euros are more accurate off the tee due to their growing up or playing the Euro Tour on "tighter" courses might or might not be true, but I suspect when adjusted for the multitude of variables that would have to be counted, the hypothesis would not be provable. Sounds nice, but like most ideas, it falls apart when held up to statistical rigor.

All the courses you mention have braken and heather where no trees. Why do you think they set up the Ryder cup course the way it is?
Wow. OK you don't actually know what you are talking about. Sorry I don't mean to be rude - and no really I'm not trying to be patronizing by then apologizing - but really you don't. Go play a heathland course or a links course and tell me it is remotely like this weeks course. This week's course is TPC Sawgrass + Kiawah Island, with brutal rough thicker than Robert Rocks hair. The course is set up this way to throw the US off their typical tour event bomb and gouge approach and the course was also selected due to it being the host of a major Euro event the European tour players are largely familiar with. Seriously, that is why. It has NOTHING to do with what courses the players played when they were teens or early twenties. Seriously how many ever came up on these mini-tours you're talking about: Rose, Fleetwood, Hatton, Stenson? The rest were already on the main pro tour or playing US college golf.
This is getting boring now but I will give it one more go. The point I was making about heather and braken on links and heathland was that you dont need trees and rough to make a fairway miss super penal or a lost ball. Come and play Southerness if you want an example. Yes they did set this course up because its not what the USA guys are used to. That was my whole point so thanks for that. All the players you mentioned played the extensive UK youth and Amateur tours which are played on exactly the courses in question.
Wow. OK maybe you're just back in from the pub and had a few too many. But really you're all over the shop with your posts. So now we're going down to the boy's level? Ya Bjorn really really didn't have the courses these guys played when they were 13 in mind today ;)

Again the insults start. Always ends in that when the arguments run out. Read point 2 in the link kindly supplied above.

Nah, when youre the player of Tigers ilk and legend after a while the pattern is who you are and its 99% on you.if youre so far above the competition 362 days a year ( were talking prime tiger) and you suddenly forget how to play for 3 days over and over its very telling. I wanted him to ride off into the sunset and expected a little more as hes a new guy now with a better attitude. but..

tenor.gif

Except this isn't prime Tiger. We all know that. Fleetwood and Molinari are both in good form. You expected him to beat those guys by himself? I don't expect that out of him these days. Reed literally put 80+ on the board this morning with his own ball.

Now your criticism about him in his prime is fair enough. Even with crap partners, a guy that wins majors by 15 shots could at least win a four-ball match by himself. Alternate shot is a different story.

the bolded is the problem and the delusion youre pushing. Reed was crap off the tee yet tiger never clubbed down to find fairways when reed was in trouble. Reed shot 80 tiger shot 76-77 at least. Tiger has done absolutely nothing well in 2 days. i expected a better attitude from him and making some clutch putts for momentum like this mattered. molinari was dunking on him all day yesterday and today while tiger was lagging his putts. Poulter and molinari and fleetwood were bruising the back of the cup. So were speith and thomas. Thomas and speith showed fire making clutch putts. Is that too much to ask? With tiger current form i expected more

Very predicable for Tiger's game to come back in. Last week was the peak of 5 years of work. I expected him to have some what of a let down this week, but his partners have been pretty awful to compound things.

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to be straight?

Maybe he means tree lined courses like St. Andrews.

The hypothesis that the Euros are more accurate off the tee due to their growing up or playing the Euro Tour on "tighter" courses might or might not be true, but I suspect when adjusted for the multitude of variables that would have to be counted, the hypothesis would not be provable. Sounds nice, but like most ideas, it falls apart when held up to statistical rigor.

Quite possible. Could be that American golfers just aren't as good. I'm trying to give you guys an out here but people are taking it as some sort of slight on their manhood. Pretty pathetic really.

Who had the brilliant idea of playing this at Olympic in 2032?

ap550620157_10.jpg?itok=ne0Hj2oH

Please God let USA win at least the first two matches tomorrow morning. If for no other reason than to make the competition more interesting for the rest of the day.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I will repeat, ive never seen a US tournament, i including masters and Us open set up as tight and penal as this one, with almost no safe side or bail out. That not the real story though. My point is the woodland courses these guys learned on. If your not straight you reload, practically every hole.

I think I am getting lost here. You're saying the European players learned on woodland courses where you had to be straight?

Maybe he means tree lined courses like St. Andrews.

We have other courses.

All the courses you mention have braken and heather where no trees. Why do you think they set up the Ryder cup course the way it is?
Wow. OK you don't actually know what you are talking about. Sorry I don't mean to be rude - and no really I'm not trying to be patronizing by then apologizing - but really you don't. Go play a heathland course or a links course and tell me it is remotely like this weeks course. This week's course is TPC Sawgrass + Kiawah Island, with brutal rough thicker than Robert Rocks hair. The course is set up this way to throw the US off their typical tour event bomb and gouge approach and the course was also selected due to it being the host of a major Euro event the European tour players are largely familiar with. Seriously, that is why. It has NOTHING to do with what courses the players played when they were teens or early twenties. Seriously how many ever came up on these mini-tours you're talking about: Rose, Fleetwood, Hatton, Stenson? The rest were already on the main pro tour or playing US college golf.
This is getting boring now but I will give it one more go. The point I was making about heather and braken on links and heathland was that you dont need trees and rough to make a fairway miss super penal or a lost ball. Come and play Southerness if you want an example. Yes they did set this course up because its not what the USA guys are used to. That was my whole point so thanks for that. All the players you mentioned played the extensive UK youth and Amateur tours which are played on exactly the courses in question.
Wow. OK maybe you're just back in from the pub and had a few too many. But really you're all over the shop with your posts. So now we're going down to the boy's level? Ya Bjorn really really didn't have the courses these guys played when they were 13 in mind today ;)

Again the insults start. Always ends in that when the arguments run out. Read point 2 in the link kindly supplied above.

These guys would have played the same way - heck Brooks played on the Challenge Tour - because they are big guys with high clubhead speeds and they are taught to mash the ball find it and hit it again.

Get in a hazard or stuck behind a tree? Ya that'll happen now and again, but keep killing it.

If they were playing Am events in the UK they'd do the exact same thing, because those courses are not set up like this week's course.

This week it is super tight landing areas and their driver/wedge game is being negated.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

tenor.gif

Just because prime Tiger can win a U.S. Open by 15 shots doesn't mean he can just turn it on whenever he wants. On how many occasions did he not contend in a major or any tournament throughout the period? You can stop feigning interest in Tiger's success. It's wasted energy.

Between Tigers first major and last major win he only finished worse than T25 5 times and cut once over that 11 years

Right, so you're saying that there were weeks throughout his career when he wanted to play lights out... but couldn't?

Wow this thread has turned into fish and chips, lol....

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Quite possible. Could be that American golfers just aren't as good. I'm trying to give you guys an out here but people are taking it as some sort of slight on their manhood. Pretty pathetic really.

No it's a slight at your facts and hypothesis.

That article is dead on. Sad but true.

And, this year...I almost wonder if the pairings were formed by just drawing names out of a hat to see who plays with who and once the spots are filled...the rest sit out.

I think it all goes back to Spieth and Reed. Spieth wanted to get away from Reed because of Reed's arrogance and so forth. "My back is tired of carrying Jordan." So they broke up that pair. The problem is Reed is a lone wolf. Who do you put him with? They tried to put him with his idol and that backfired.

So Spieth gets to play with his friend Thomas, which breaks up Thomas and Fowler. Then Fowler needs a partner so they give him DJ, which breaks up Koepka/DJ. This article does a good job on the domino effect of breaking up Reed/Spieth...

http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/24833830/2018-ryder-cup-us-had-plan-worked-last-ryder-cup-changed-it

poor tiger, always unlucky with his partners and opponents in the ryder cup.Its never his fault... imagine his record if he played any top tiered players in singles over the years

tenor.gif

Of course youll say that, youve got nothing else. its a team event genius, tigers success is the teams success.i wanted Phil and tiger to ride off into the sunset and win on foreign soil. Im allowed to be upset about his performance. Maybe if you werent a fan boy you could see that youre allowed to criticize his play and phils

I agree that Tiger hasn't played well enough, but I don't act upset.

These guys would have played the same way - heck Brooks played on the Challenge Tour - because they are big guys with high clubhead speeds and they are taught to mash the ball find it and hit it again.

Get in a hazard or stuck behind a tree? Ya that'll happen now and again, but keep killing it.

If they were playing Am events in the UK they'd do the exact same thing, because those courses are not set up like this week's course.

This week it is super tight landing areas and their driver/wedge game is being negated.

But thats my point. Our guys try the driver wedge game on tour but it's not how they learned their trade. Which is why we have that set up.

Just read the link above. Its not my job to educate you.

It appears on this topic you won't be doing that to anyone based on your comments.

I think the "back from the pub" theory may be correct.

Get somebody to read it to you if your struggling.

Still waiting on your source of experience and knowledge. The crickets are getting louder.