So will Tiger call a penalty on himself at his OWN TOURNAMENT?

BenSeattle

Didn't Tiger admit it was a double hit, but that he didn't feel it?

Now people in this thread are claiming it wasn't, when Tiger himself said it was?

"First of all, I didn't feel like I violated any rules. I felt like I was trying to play a shot. But the rules committee pulled me aside and said 'Hey, there may be a violation there' so we took a look at it," Woods told Golf Channel's Steve Sands. "I didn't feel like I hit it twice, it happened so fast and it was such a short motion, but under high def and super slow-mo, you can see it. I made contact twice, but there was no, they'll explain it to you. There is no violation, I guess, so I shot what I shot today."

The issue here is not whether Tiger made contact twice - he did, unless you don't believe him. The issue is that he did not feel/notice it when he made contact, and if you can only tell he did under super slow mo, it's not a penalty.

This.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Tiger admit it was a double hit, but that he didn't feel it?

Now people in this thread are claiming it wasn't, when Tiger himself said it was?

"First of all, I didn't feel like I violated any rules. I felt like I was trying to play a shot. But the rules committee pulled me aside and said 'Hey, there may be a violation there' so we took a look at it," Woods told Golf Channel's Steve Sands. "I didn't feel like I hit it twice, it happened so fast and it was such a short motion, but under high def and super slow-mo, you can see it. I made contact twice, but there was no, they'll explain it to you. There is no violation, I guess, so I shot what I shot today."

The issue here is not whether Tiger made contact twice - he did, unless you don't believe him. The issue is that he did not feel/notice it when he made contact, and if you can only tell he did under super slow mo, it's not a penalty.

This.

That.

Always wanted to do . . . this.

I find myself questioning what I should believe. That Tiger is this super talented guy that has and still can do all this amazing stuff... or just some babe in the woods rookie that doesn't realize that not having any back swing at all and dragging your club like a rake through the sand is going to result in illegal contact with the ball? Or was it just a very convenient duh moment? I have to think though that a smarter Tiger would have taken an unplayable lie and avoided any chance of the scrutiny and second guessing.

I find myself questioning what I should believe. That Tiger is this super talented guy that has and still can do all this amazing stuff... or just some babe in the woods rookie that doesn't realize that not having any back swing at all and dragging your club like a rake through the sand is going to result in illegal contact with the ball? Or was it just a very convenient duh moment? I have to think though that a smarter Tiger would have taken an unplayable lie and avoided any chance of the scrutiny and second guessing.

He's out there trying to shoot the lowest score he can. What kind of golfer would he be if he made decisions based on avoiding scrutiny...

There was a backswing and I don't think think the odds of a double hit or drag were that high. ~8 times out of 10 he could have popped that ball out without issue.

By all accounts Tiger made a small backswing and struck the ball. What are the chances the ball flight is directly in line with his club path...can't be that high.

There was a backswing and I don't think think the odds of a double hit or drag were that high. ~8 times out of 10 he could have popped that ball out without issue.

By all accounts Tiger made a small backswing and struck the ball. What are the chances the ball flight is directly in line with his club path...can't be that high.

I'm not with you on that one. I'd personally rate the chances of moving that ball any kind of distance with a clean single hit and a six inch backswing from that lie were no greater than 2 times out of 10, even for GOAT.

It's hard to get any momentum for a clean strike with such a short backswing and the thick leaves it was lying on would make a big difference in removing a fair bit of that momentum.

If he was trying to move it no more than 2 feet then the success rate would go up a lot as you can look to jab it with no follow through needed. But given he was trying to move it further than a penalty drop would have got him and off his knees with a near horizontal angle of attack, that was always looking a high risk play.

I'm not with you on that one. I'd personally rate the chances of moving that ball any kind of distance with a clean single hit and a six inch backswing from that lie were no greater than 2 times out of 10, even for GOAT.

It's hard to get any momentum for a clean strike with such a short backswing and the thick leaves it was lying on would make a big difference in removing a fair bit of that momentum.

If he was trying to move it no more than 2 feet then the success rate would go up a lot as you can look to jab it with no follow through needed. But given he was trying to move it further than a penalty drop would have got him and off his knees with a near horizontal angle of attack, that was always looking a high risk play.

I agree with this. The point I was making is that it's about not attempting something that has a fair probability of resulting in some sort of illegal contact with the ball. Avoiding scrutiny, while related, is secondary in that situation.

Oh come on guys. He dragged it out with the club! Its cheating plain and simple.

How can a ball that is ahead of him be dragged forward when Woods was behind it?

That is not possible...

Cant you see?

I think you meant "push" You can't "drag" something ahead of yourself.....

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

Well I don't necessarily disagree with you but we're both just speculating.

I could come back and argue that if he had made just slightly cleaner contact, and the ball came out with 5 MPH more velocity, it outraces his club head.

Maybe he didn't catch it as cleanly as he thought he could.

He probably felt the risk reward was worth it. We all know how much it sucks to take a penalty stroke so if he felt like he had a decent chance of getting it out, I would have tried it too.

The lie isn't that bad. Part of me wonders if he should have moved the crowd and just addressed the ball normally and taken a huge lash at it and tried to advance it that way. The only question is if those leaves would totally restrict him from making a backswing:

Screen-Shot-2018-12-03-at-11-34-00-AM.png

I could come back and argue that if he had made just slightly cleaner contact, and the ball came out with 5 MPH more velocity, it outraces his club head.

He probably felt the risk reward was worth it. We all know how much it sucks to take a penalty stroke so if he felt like he had a decent chance of getting it out, I would have tried it too.

The lie isn't that bad. Part of me wonders if he should have moved the crowd and just addressed the ball normally and taken a huge lash at it and tried to advance it that way. The only question is if those leaves would totally restrict him from making a backswing:

Maaaannn, this is Tiger Woods we talkin bout.

Why should he have to deal with that crap.

Just bring in this guy and get that thing out of his way!

s8Gwn8s.gif

s8Gwn8s.gif

Lol. I mean, technically, is it a moveable obstruction/loose impediment depending on the strength of the roots? The crowd could have uprooted that.

s8Gwn8s.gif

That thing is a beast!! My wife and I were watching a crew remove a tree damaged by Hurricane Michael that was precariously hanging over our next door neighbor's house. As the crane operator maneuvered it and it clamped tightly around the tree, my wife, (thinking it was simply securing the tree to keep it from falling on the house), said, "Now, how are you going to cut it?"

"OH, WOW!! How cool is that?!"

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

s8Gwn8s.gif

Whoa, that machine must have a bitter, man hating soul!

Ouch.

I didn't realize the double hit rule is no penalty whatsoever. I can't imagine how that isn't going to result in more "scooping" a la Tiger Woods in the Hero. If your "intent" is to make a stroke and you "happen" to double hit who's to say it's a scoop.

No need for the unplayable rule any more... just scrape it out of there!

No doubt they ruled here like 2019 because it's his tournament. When else does it matter if you were cognizant of how it felt? I can see how they're trying to make it easier to know the rules, but some of it was there for a reason.

In the world of hack golf the double hit will be a thing. I tried it today and with a limited back swing it's a definite advantage.

I didn't realize the double hit rule is no penalty whatsoever. I can't imagine how that isn't going to result in more "scooping" a la Tiger Woods in the Hero. If your "intent" is to make a stroke and you "happen" to double hit who's to say it's a scoop.

No doubt they ruled here like 2019 because it's his tournament. When else does it matter if you were cognizant of how it felt? I can see how they're trying to make it easier to know the rules, but some of it was there for a reason.

In the world of hack golf the double hit will be a thing. I tried it today and with a limited back swing it's a definite advantage.

I don't think they are doing away with 14-1 are they? I think this is what rule was possibly breached from what I saw. ( yes I know they ruled it was not )

14-1. General

a. Fairly Striking the Ball

The ball must be fairly struck at with the head of the club and must not be pushed, scraped or spooned.

Penalty for Breach of Rule 14-1 or 14-2:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

Officials already ruled it was not a penalty.. insisting that this will lead to "scooping" @ the professional level is idiotic.

Let-It-Go-670x372.jpg

Titleist....

Yeah, I don't think it's going to work like that. But who cares? In the world of hack golf they don't play within the rules anyways.

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

I don't think they are doing away with 14-1 are they? I think this is what rule was possibly breached from what I saw. ( yes I know they ruled it was not )

14-1. General

The ball must be fairly struck at with the head of the club and must not be pushed, scraped or spooned.

As I understand it 14-1 is still in place, but my point is what's to distinguish if you fairly struck at it? The rubber met the road where the double hit occurred and it was a penalty. Now as long as you take some backswing it won't matter.

Never said pros will scoop like Tiger. It's going to be rare, mostly as a rescue shot, but the line is now more blurred about what you'll get away with.

If he anchored the iron to his body, the ball would have come out clean and there would be no issues...............

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

14-1. General

As I understand it 14-1 is still in place, but my point is what's to distinguish if you fairly struck at it? The rubber met the road where the double hit occurred and it was a penalty. Now as long as you take some backswing it won't matter.

Never said pros will scoop like Tiger. It's going to be rare, mostly as a rescue shot, but the line is now more blurred about what you'll get away with.

Tiger didn't "scoop" or "push" or "drag". Officials said he made a proper though abbreviated stroke. So, why are we even discussing anything other than the legal stroke that was initially made?

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

All water under bridge. but I tried Tigers shot about 50 times with ±2 inches backswing. Granted I am not as good as Tiger :-) but there is no chance you can hit the ball and create immediate contact and release with out touching the ball twice. Ball moves too slow.Only a pop stroke or a stab works but then the ball does not go far.

Now there is a ruling which states a strike with .5 inch backstroke is considered to be a push. If the 0,5 inch is a hard condition the rule authorities should reconsider the complete case.

Btw i do not think the Tiger cheated or anything like that but imho he should have taken the penalty stroke. Only to prove his moral authority. If Tiger wants to win in capitals, this was his opportunity.

Tiger didn't "scoop" or "push" or "drag". Officials said he made a proper though abbreviated stroke. So, why are we even discussing anything other than the legal stroke that was initially made?

Because the decision was questionable at best? Of course their decision stands but we can second guess that decision all we want right?

Because the decision was questionable at best? Of course their decision stands but we can second guess that decision all we want right?

The officials actually deemed it was a double hit BUT given he didn't call it upon himself, they decided there was no way of telling without slo-mo which is in-admissible.

A lot of us here think it was a drag / scoop. Looking at stills it was either that or he hit it 3 or 4 times in one stroke given each still I posted suggests the ball was still in contact with the face.

Now it doesn't matter which foul if the ruling was the shot looked good in real time and no doubt the officials here felt it did not look good but the easiest answer in a nothing exhibition event was to call the lesser foul of double hit and then play the slo-mo card. But it does give a strong opening for any pro to try the same thing if it's a money shot, as with no slo-mo for ultimate ruling and double hits being OK, I'm just not seeing an official call a player out on this going forwards, it all becomes a double hit.

I'm not a pro, I am a decent amateur and I've tried and know how difficult it is to move a ball cleanly when snagged and with a 5" backswing. We can all have a go at that one as there is far less skill involved vs a normal full swing, just pure wrist strength. I see Baudi has tried it and found the same thing. I just don't see where the line on this is going to fall as to whether you need to have a 2", 5", 12" backswing etc to say it was a legitimate attempt at a clean strike IF you are seen to be trying to move the ball more than a few feet where physics will tell you that a clean hit becomes almost impossible. Just go in there and make sure the club keeps going forwards regardless of whether it is a double hit or sticks to the club and call it as the former.

All water under bridge. but I tried Tigers shot about 50 times with ±2 inches backswing. Granted I am not as good as Tiger :-) but there is no chance you can hit the ball and create immediate contact and release with out touching the ball twice. Ball moves too slow.Only a pop stroke or a stab works but then the ball does not go far.

Now there is a ruling which states a strike with .5 inch backstroke is considered to be a push. If the 0,5 inch is a hard condition the rule authorities should reconsider the complete case.

Btw i do not think the Tiger cheated or anything like that but imho he should have taken the penalty stroke. Only to prove his moral authority. If Tiger wants to win in capitals, this was his opportunity.

Just to be clear....there was no crime committed but he should plead guilty anyways? Just to be a moral authority?

The odd thing in this case is that if they would not have shown the slomo front angle at all there would be absolutely no outrage on this shot at all. Full speed from the other angles there have been no complaints about the shot.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Just to be clear....there was no crime committed but he should plead guilty anyways? Just to be a moral authority?

The odd thing in this case is that if they would not have shown the slomo front angle at all there would be absolutely no outrage on this shot at all. Full speed from the other angles there have been no complaints about the shot.

So if a dude robs a bank and you can only see it from one camera angle then the person should be innocent because the other 3 show that nothing happened? Did Tiger ever comment on the shot on what happened? I don't think Tiger should have taken a penalty if he knows that it didn't happen, however who are we to say that he did or didn't.

That is right. The commotion around this shot pushed up quite a few old emotions around Tiger's history with the rules.

T(his) tournament has no value whatsoever. So why not create the moment and blend the serendipity to silence former critics?

From a marketing point of view I sense it is a missed opportunity. But hey, that's only how I look at it from a distance.

As said: it is all water under the bridge.

The officials actually deemed it was a double hit BUT given he didn't call it upon himself, they decided there was no way of telling without slo-mo which is in-admissible.

A lot of us here think it was a drag / scoop. Looking at stills it was either that or he hit it 3 or 4 times in one stroke given each still I posted suggests the ball was still in contact with the face.

Now it doesn't matter which foul if the ruling was the shot looked good in real time and no doubt the officials here felt it did not look good but the easiest answer in a nothing exhibition event was to call the lesser foul of double hit and then play the slo-mo card. But it does give a strong opening for any pro to try the same thing if it's a money shot, as with no slo-mo for ultimate ruling and double hits being OK, I'm just not seeing an official call a player out on this going forwards, it all becomes a double hit.

I'm not a pro, I am a decent amateur and I've tried and know how difficult it is to move a ball cleanly when snagged and with a 5" backswing. We can all have a go at that one as there is far less skill involved vs a normal full swing, just pure wrist strength. I see Baudi has tried it and found the same thing. I just don't see where the line on this is going to fall as to whether you need to have a 2", 5", 12" backswing etc to say it was a legitimate attempt at a clean strike IF you are seen to be trying to move the ball more than a few feet where physics will tell you that a clean hit becomes almost impossible. Just go in there and make sure the club keeps going forwards regardless of whether it is a double hit or sticks to the club and call it as the former.

It's why I find the judges ruling incredible... I mean there is probably some universe where you could have that little of a back swing and make the ball travel as far as it did, it's just not this universe. I honestly thought it looked like a violation in real time.. so I don't know what beverages were being passed around the judges booth but I'll take some! Just my opinion which obviously differed from the powers at be.

It's why I find the judges ruling incredible... I mean there is probably some universe where you could have that little of a back swing and make the ball travel as far as it did, it's just not this universe. I honestly thought it looked like a violation in real time.. so I don't know what beverages were being passed around the judges booth but I'll take some! Just my opinion which obviously differed from the powers at be.

I agree. If somebody I was playing came up with that shot there would have been a very heated discussion.

So if a dude robs a bank and you can only see it from one camera angle then the person should be innocent because the other 3 show that nothing happened? Did Tiger ever comment on the shot on what happened? I don't think Tiger should have taken a penalty if he knows that it didn't happen, however who are we to say that he did or didn't.

Mo-this shot is the exact reason the HD rule was put in place. In slo mo it appears to be scraped/pushed. In full speed it does not. You can see video of a full driver shot and slowed down a ton can see the ball compressed and stays on the face. Is that scraped?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar