So will Tiger call a penalty on himself at his OWN TOURNAMENT?

BenSeattle

Im with BSc.He couldnt back down after looking at the video and stuck to his story.The video is bad though, cant deny that. We have to take him at his word he didnt feel anything twice but the video tells another story. Also anyone in here that thinks there wasnt pressure on the rules officials based on who it was and where it was are being very naive. I hate the word cheating being thrown around as well, its uncalled for. i asked 10 different people at the club what they thought and it was 50-50.One of my students is a tiger fanatic and said he should have taken the penalty just to remove any doubt and not tarnish his rep. Different people see different things

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im with BSc.He couldnt back down after looking at the video and stuck to his story.The video is bad though, cant deny that. We have to take him at his word he didnt feel anything twice but the video tells another story. Also anyone in here that thinks there wasnt pressure on the rules officials based on who it was and where it was are being very naive. I hate the word cheating being thrown around as well, its uncalled for. i asked 10 different people at the club what they thought and it was 50-50.One of my students is a tiger fanatic and said he should have taken the penalty just to remove any doubt and not tarnish his rep. Different people see different things

But what people see on a high def slow motion up close replay is totally irrelevant in the ruling.

If you think slow motion replay SHOULD be used as the judge and jury in these rulings then okay. That's something to take up with the rules committee.

But I don't see how someone can confidently accuse Tiger of lying. In that situation, hitting out of a bush from your knees...I can see how he wouldn't feel any abnormality in real speed.

So to even throw out the word cheating is not right. If anything people's gripe should be with the rule.

why would he lie about it? he has nothing to gain. he's not really in contention. and it was reviewed and deemed legal. but the haters will bounce on anything. cannot wait till he racks up his first win of the year.....

You believe Tiger. I don't. He knows the officials haven't the gonads to call him on it. He also knows its up to him to own up, so he doesn't. Its a scoop plain and simple. Not in the spirit of the game. "Cheating".

More theories and opinion. No actual facts.

Unless you have an ability to read someone's mind or definitively tell when they are lying during a TV interview.

Is that what you're basing your theories on or is it just your desire to believe that Tiger is lying, based on nothing?

Mainly I use my eyes, you can SEE what he does. Forget the interview believe your own eyes . I can't see it for you, the evidence is on video and he admits it.

When I watch it in real speed, I cannot even come close to seeing a double hit.

Tiger said he did not feel a double hit.

He says that yes, in slow motion, you can see a double hit.

By the rule, if the player does not feel a double hit, he cannot be penalized based on slow motion replay.

I'm not sure what about that you don't understand.

Maybe you weren't aware of the rule decision.

Look it up: Decision 34-3/10

https://www.golfdige...tcid=inline_amp

I think you 2 agree more than disagree on this... hes not arguing the legitimacy of the ruling based on the rules but of the actual event. we can take tiger at his word that he didnt feel it twice and video actually shows it twice. both statements can be true at once. doesnt make tiger a cheater either. its sucj an awkward rare "stroke" from sand no less.im sure there was a dampness to the feel of the ball. he believes tiger did it intentionally and after seeing video stuck to his story. you dont believe that.both are opinions in this case and the rules technically support the initial call but theres room to debate the optics of the ruling and whos involved in it. I take tiger at his word about what he felt as i dont see a reason for him to lie about that but also after seeing the replay i expected him to say you know what its obvious and ill ding myself a stroke, my bad. Either way its his call on how it was handled as the rules are in his favor.

I think the new rule is good to have and in this case exactly where it was applied correctly. Go try to hack balls out of a bush and I doubt you will feel much at all, more just surprise if you can actually advance the ball

Just like the other case that brought this rule into play, when Nordqvist grazed a few grains of sand in a bunker on her back swing. You, me, and even the staunchest of rules buffs has likely moved some sand in a bunker without knowing it at some point

why would he lie about it? he has nothing to gain. he's not really in contention. and it was reviewed and deemed legal. but the haters will bounce on anything. cannot wait till he racks up his first win of the year.....

Never said he did nor had motivation to do so. Im actually defending the ruling as it is by the book, im sinply saying what the optics are

Not a tiger fan and I say no scoop. If u went slow motion on shots all pitch out shots through the year you would see a majority looking like this one. If there was no zoom in slow motion this would not even be talked about. He made a backswing and follow through. Would be a different story if he didn't attempt to come back and just addressed ball and swept through it. Time to move on people

It was a rule change that saved Tiger this time around. No, I don't think he intentionally tried to circumvent the rule by playing hockey from the bush; sure, he scraped it out with a no-backswing-forward-shove that -- at the very least -- resulted in a double hit, one that... in my eyes … even Tiger would be hard-pressed to detect. Watching live, I didn't see or hear the shove/scoop/carry but it became clear in replays that's EXACTLY what happened. Ah, but that's where the new rule involving HD TV came in. Without going to the trouble of actually poring over the rule book, the recent update says that if a player can't detect it and it can't be observed with the naked eye -- only with hi-def's modern technology -- then there's no penalty. Weird, huh? BECAUSE A VIOLATION CLEARLY HAPPENED. It's just no longer going to cost a player strokes.

Oh yeah... you want another example of a high-profile golfer getting off Scott-free because of a change? Read up on how Phil Mickelson could very well be behind bars today except for a gap in a law that let him escape a conviction for Insider Trading:

https://www.golfdige...-trading-escape

I would say it was clear in the one replay-not replays. Just the one from in front in slow motion did it look wonky. I thought the backswing was plenty long to hit the ball 20 feet.

Not the first time he's been cavalier with the rules. Any 10 handicap can feel it when they double hit a chip, no way Tiger Woods couldn't feel that.

Even the guy that coined the "cavalier" line says it was okay per the rules. Which just like in the Senden ruling people are posting what they think should happen rather than playing by the rules.

Weird situation where the no penalty is certainly the right application of the rules based on what can be seen, as we cannot see what TW feels. We have to take his word that he didn't feel it, and he has a long history of not being forthcoming with the truth. Resembles a WWF match where the ref is distracted by someone outside the ring while the Iron Shiek pummels Jake the Snake with a chair. Can't see it, player won't own up to it - no penalty. It's the correct ruling based on what is on video, but to think the greatest (or second) player of all time can't tell if he hit a ball 2x is ridiculous. Just another instance of TW playing us all for fools.

What is the "long history" you speak of? The Masters where he kept the wrong entry point in mind? The event with Wittenberg where he went by Casey's(his playing partner) pov? The ball that settled that would likely have been no penalty with the new HD rule? The boulder that was a moveable object with help and clearly by the rules?

Is that a long history for the guy whose every move is more scrutinized and televised than any other player?

Long history includes his version of the fire hydrant incident and the mismanagement of his meds last summer. Both of those clearly contain lies, but who’s counting?

But what people see on a high def slow motion up close replay is totally irrelevant in the ruling.

If you think slow motion replay SHOULD be used as the judge and jury in these rulings then okay. That's something to take up with the rules committee.

But I don't see how someone can confidently accuse Tiger of lying. In that situation, hitting out of a bush from your knees...I can see how he wouldn't feel any abnormality in real speed.

So to even throw out the word cheating is not right. If anything people's gripe should be with the rule.

i think this is the part thats upsetting you most and i agree. its uncalled for to say he lied or cheated.video evidence is used to double check things like this.Its actually away to protect tiger and the field. i was simply saying that tiger stuck to his story because thats what he believed despite video evidence. the rules official cant deem intent of course so essentially were left to debate the optics of it. sure some people who already dislike tiger will pounce on this but there are alot of even keeled golf fans who can discuss the optics fairly and evenly. The rules are fickle as we know so it gets easily heated. i dont agree with anyone saying he cheated or lied but can agree with someone who thinks because of video evidence he should be penalized. Tiger is telling the truth but could still be penalized i think is a reasonable debate to have. both statements can be true at the same time. the rules however are clear that he is ( pardon the pun) in the clear so this is simply just a healthy debate about the rules

Great post. The video is cringeworthy..... but. Cheating ? Please. That’s just pure dislike ( see what I did there ).

He didn’t have opportunity to cheat. The rules official made the call. They want him to throw himself on his sword ? For what? That’s why we have rules Officials. And besides. Calling a penalty on himself after watching the high def shot is technically against the rules isn’t it ? The high def shot isn’t suppose to come into play. The real question is why do they look at it at all in high def ? Why replay it that way. THey should only replay in real time .

And to the “ take an unplayable “ folks. It wasn’t unplayable. He clearly could advance it. I guarantee you if you gave him another try he hits it with a pop stroke and doesn’t double ( I haven’t seen him actually double hit it yet. It just stayed on the face ) hit it and gets it out of the bush. Unplayable are for scardy cats. Sack up and hit the ball nancy.

( partially kidding of course )

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I think the new rule is good to have and in this case exactly where it was applied correctly. Go try to hack balls out of a bush and I doubt you will feel much at all, more just surprise if you can actually advance the ball

Just like the other case that brought this rule into play, when Nordqvist grazed a few grains of sand in a bunker on her back swing. You, me, and even the staunchest of rules buffs has likely moved some sand in a bunker without knowing it at some point

I can agree with that but video replay has overturned and overruled alot of infractions over the last 10+years including the one you cited. i completely agree with the feel part though. I dont believe for a second tiger misled/lied or cheated but that simply something that happened was caught on tape and evidence was presented refuting your feel or thought. How its handled moving forward is anyones guess but intent is impossible to prove.

Great post. The video is cringeworthy..... but. Cheating ? Please. That's just pure dislike ( see what I did there ).

He didn't have opportunity to cheat. The rules official made the call. They want him to throw himself on his sword ? For what? That's why we have rules Officials. And besides. Calling a penalty on himself after watching the high def shot is technically against the rules isn't it ? The high def shot isn't suppose to come into play. The real question is why do they look at it at all in high def ? Why replay it that way. THey should only replay in real time .

And to the " take an unplayable " folks. It wasn't unplayable. He clearly could advance it. I guarantee you if you gave him another try he hits it with a pop stroke and doesn't double ( I haven't seen him actually double hit it yet. It just stayed on the face ) hit it and gets it out of the bush. Unplayable are for scardy cats. Sack up and hit the ball nancy.

( partially kidding of course )

yup.I was simply saying that i cant find consensus in my small circle so I cant imagine anyone elses circle! I dont know or understand the slow motion video application that is being used by the rules officials? is it to show the players or is it to show themselves? i simply dont know. I honestly dont know what rules govern video replay usage on the pga tour.

i think this is the part thats upsetting you most and i agree. its uncalled for to say he lied or cheated.video evidence is used to double check things like this.Its actually away to protect tiger and the field. i was simply saying that tiger stuck to his story because thats what he believed despite video evidence. the rules official cant deem intent of course so essentially were left to debate the optics of it. sure some people who already dislike tiger will pounce on this but there are alot of even keeled golf fans who can discuss the optics fairly and evenly. The rules are fickle as we know so it gets easily heated. i dont agree with anyone saying he cheated or lied but can agree with someone who thinks because of video evidence he should be penalized. Tiger is telling the truth but could still be penalized i think is a reasonable debate to have. both statements can be true at the same time. the rules however are clear that he is ( pardon the pun) in the clear so this is simply just a healthy debate about the rules

Yeah I agree with you and I was never upset at all.

I was just challenging Londoner to defend his ridiculous statements. Because if you scroll up you'll see he repeatedly says Tiger lied and cheated and his actions were not in the spirit of the game, etc.

So I asked him to provide some reasoning/evidence for those comments and of course he can't.

I admit I find it annoying when people say outlandish things and make accusations but have no logic or evidence to back it up. It's intellectually dishonest, trollish behavior and the enemy of fair discussion.

I didn't read the whole thread, because I know how these things go. But I did watch the video, and I probably would have given him the benefit of doubt in that one. I did look like he tried to make a swing at the ball from above the ground. The hooded follow through looked a little funny on slow mo, but I don't think he should be responsible for how the ball reacts out of sand. If I thought I would catch it fat I would probably try to follow though the same.

Or maybe whiff it entirely and fall into the bush. One of the two. You be the judge

run of the mill driver with stock shaft
a couple of outdated hybrids
shovel-ier shovels
wedges from same shovel company
some putter with a dead insert and
a hideous grip

Oh come on guys. He dragged it out with the club! Its cheating plain and simple.

Wrong, plain and simple.

If he was cheating, he would have been penalized by the numerous officials reviewing it.

He was only “cheating” if he calls it on himself. Or if it passes the “naked eye” test. Officials reviewing slo-mo or close-up video are no longer relevant to a call.

Haven't read one post in this thread.

He clearly scraped or spooned it. Anyone else would have been penalized. But it's Tiger and it's his tournament.

And I don't really care it you agree with me or not.

I’m with you.

He spooned it but I just don’t care.

It’s a nearly meaningless 18 man charity exhibition that’s he’s hosting. Big whoop-de-do.

Lets stop for a second and think about how hard it would actually be to "spoon" a golf ball, a hard object, on the face of a small bladed iron while flicking it forward that fast. You'd have to practice something like that quite a bit for it to be a viable "i'm going to use this to cheat" maneuver. Everyone knows that you can advance the ball several yards with strong wrists as long as you make solid contact. I'm pretty sure that is what Tiger was TRYING to do but got some leaves or debris caught in the mix causing the ball to come out slower, and thus lingering on the face longer. To call this intentional is more than a bit of a stretch since it would be hard for anything as subtle as scooping/manipulating a ball to be done when you're flicking your wrist that quickly.

He tried a shot, it looked dodgy, but technically didn't break any rules and certainly does not impact anything about the game no matter how much a doofus insists this will open the door to rampant scooping on tour. :D

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I was just challenging Londoner to defend his ridiculous statements. Because if you scroll up you'll see he repeatedly says Tiger lied and cheated and his actions were not in the spirit of the game, etc.

So I asked him to provide some reasoning/evidence for those comments and of course he can't.

I admit I find it annoying when people say outlandish things and make accusations but have no logic or evidence to back it up. It's intellectually dishonest, trollish behavior and the enemy of fair discussion.

I read londoners comments and maybe hes enjoying getting a little under your skin ;) having said that if he believes that tiger is lying and its bad for the game i can tell you hes not the only one. i dont agree with it but its an opinion thats out there. I think its a useless debate but its out there in the social media sphere. Hes the biggest name in golf so it attracts the largest amount of scrutiny. Some believe that comes with extra responsibility so here we are...

I read londoners comments and maybe hes enjoying getting a little under your skin ;) having said that if he believes that tiger is lying and its bad for the game i can tell you hes not the only one. i dont agree with it but its an opinion thats out there. I think its a useless debate but its out there in the social media sphere. Hes the biggest name in golf so it attracts the largest amount of scrutiny. Some believe that comes with extra responsibility so here we are...

I hadn't seen Londoner post for a long time, he probably just finished eating crow with his friend Sheldon "the fork" jhacker

Go back further and read again. Londoner made the comment and I responded to it. So not sure how I could have prompted his original statement that Tiger knew full well what he was doing, etc.

If people want to have the opinion that Tiger is lying, fine. But I'm just stating the fact that they have no evidence or support for that opinion. Or they are welcome to come forward with the support for that opinion.

Londoner was decreeing it as if it was fact...and that's why I responded asking him to defend it. And here I am repeating myself. It seems pretty simple to me. If you make a claim, back it up. Otherwise just admit you're making stuff up.

Long history includes his version of the fire hydrant incident and the mismanagement of his meds last summer. Both of those clearly contain lies, but who’s counting?

And like another post just stated.... It's like watching guys that have had to hold back the last few months and are trying to get a kick or two in now before he wins in 2019. It's laughable really. And kinda sad. Does every DJ, Phil, VJ, Reed, and many others devolve into off course issues? No. And who the hell cares? This is a golf forum. If he was less than forthcoming about personal issues who are we to demand more?

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

This is ridiculous. How can he generate enough speed in that short of a space to have the ball not appear to "stick" to the face unintentionally. The club speed and ball speed were probably close to identical, nothing he could do.

If the club speed and ball speed are identical, then there has not been a proper strike on the ball. That would be more of a scoop. Or, shove. Or, rake.

Or, maybe, a drag. Kinda' like this thread.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58