2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

A lot of Kuchar apologist.

No, not really. A whole lot of warranted Gillis is a massive DBag though.

Amen to that.

I ride with Kuchar Fo life.

Everything you need to know about part time caddies you can learn from Leonidas of "300"

"Give them nothing....but take from them, EVERYTHING"

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never even heard of Tom Gillis. Seems like a wanker.

Hes the friend everyone has that has to be apologized for because hes a know it all. How is any of this his business? Even if Kuch did pay this guy 3 or 5k its his business. Hes an independent contractor and decides whats to be paid ahead of time. No wonder a certain ideology is gaining traction in this country... I have caddied for friends at various q schools, mini tours and on the web.com tour for free because they've done it for me and it was agreed upon. He got a local caddie and paid himwhatever he paid him.Hes a grown man and if he had any issue with kuchar he should have said so before the tourney. its done all the time. "if we top 5 or top 10 do i get a little extra?" I got asked that on mini tours by young volunteers all the time going back 20 years, are we to believe this man wouldnt make any arrangements?

A certain ideology?

You mean like,

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

Ya, thats so sjw ; )

I agree that Ortiz should've nailed down a concrete agreement before the week began. That being said, there may have been a few things at play here...

1.) It's been reported that he doesn't speak a lot of English. So there was a language barrier.

2.) He may have been a little intimidated / nervous / uncomfortable about speaking up about money (especially to a high-profile player). He may have feared being booted off the bag for pushing back on any discussions about pay.

3.) He is a resort caddie, not a tour caddie. As a resort caddie, you are not working out arrangements with your player before the round begins. You do the loop and then hope for the best at the end when it comes time to collect. So he is conditioned to do it that way because that's the way he does it every day. He probably just does not have much experience caddying in professional tournaments. (Pardon me if I'm wrong on this as I don't know for sure whether he's caddied in the Mayakoba a bunch of times before or not. But this may have been his first rodeo with this sort of thing.)

4.) If an arrangement was not worked out before the round, there's as much blame on Kuchar for that than there is on Ortiz. Kuchar is the boss. He's the one with all the experience. He's the one signing the check. He also has a responsibility to work out an arrangement. If there was no prior arrangement made, why did Kuchar not initiate one? And if the prior arrangement set forth by Kuchar was only 3k, why did he make such a lowball offer?

Some levity from a guy that lived in Costa Rica for 5 years.

I paid my employees more than anyone else. I cherry picked them. I paid them in cash at the end of each work day (independent contractors like caddies). The going rate was about $40 a day and I paid them $50. They were extremely loyal to me which is hard to come by. For $10 more per day.

We went through several maids that stole from us or were lazy and didn't do a good job. We decided to try the same thing, pay 30% more than market value. Domestics were making 80 cents an hour and I offered $1.10. We scored a lifelong friend and super hard working all around helper.

El Tucan isn't working in his field of training because he has the opportunity to work at Mayakoba. If you aren't familiar with Mayakoba, it's normally about $800 per person per day. That's Pebble Beach expensive. As I mentioned in an earlier post he's making as much as some local physicians as a caddy.

It's as if the expectation is for Kuchar to balance all the inequalities between the US and Mexico. There's nothing wrong with paying someone a fair wage for their market. Every single one of you is doing exactly the same thing every time you buy a finished good.

That's a well written post with some good lessons. BUT, this is such a unique case. A multi MULTI millionaire wins another $1M plus...Money he didn't even have 4 days prior, fails to engage in good Karma (if true). To me it's really that simple. Me and all my friends I've spoken to about this agree it's a COMPLETE chickensh$! move. Even if he is that cheap and self centered he should've paid the man to avoid the negative publicity. PLUS he can write it off. I'm sorry but there really is no case to support Kooch in this instance.

I appreciate the compliment.

To each their own, but I don't confuse the ability to pay with the market value.

Nor do I think the traditional concept of Hindi / Buddhist Karma has anything to do with simply giving people money.

Some wealthy people certainly become miserly. Perhap Matt Kuchar and Tiger Woods are both examples and that's why they have the reputation for being poor tippers.

Perhaps they appreciate good service and only tip well when they receive it. I don't know.

It's a pretty negative rumor to spread about someone, and I don't have any respect for Gillis or Haney for spreading such gossip. The golf world needs to distance itself from being petty and childish IMO.

Hes the friend everyone has that has to be apologized for because hes a know it all. How is any of this his business? Even if Kuch did pay this guy 3 or 5k its his business. Hes an independent contractor and decides whats to be paid ahead of time. No wonder a certain ideology is gaining traction in this country... I have caddied for friends at various q schools, mini tours and on the web.com tour for free because they've done it for me and it was agreed upon. He got a local caddie and paid himwhatever he paid him.Hes a grown man and if he had any issue with kuchar he should have said so before the tourney. its done all the time. "if we top 5 or top 10 do i get a little extra?" I got asked that on mini tours by young volunteers all the time going back 20 years, are we to believe this man wouldnt make any arrangements?

A certain ideology?

You mean like,

Ya, thats so sjw ; )

434a9b0e8ea395f0acf3813cf1bb3b8ccb15ce0b_hq.gif

giphy.gif

I paid my employees more than anyone else. I cherry picked them. I paid them in cash at the end of each work day (independent contractors like caddies). The going rate was about $40 a day and I paid them $50. They were extremely loyal to me which is hard to come by. For $10 more per day.

We went through several maids that stole from us or were lazy and didn't do a good job. We decided to try the same thing, pay 30% more than market value. Domestics were making 80 cents an hour and I offered $1.10. We scored a lifelong friend and super hard working all around helper.

El Tucan isn't working in his field of training because he has the opportunity to work at Mayakoba. If you aren't familiar with Mayakoba, it's normally about $800 per person per day. That's Pebble Beach expensive. As I mentioned in an earlier post he's making as much as some local physicians as a caddy.

It's as if the expectation is for Kuchar to balance all the inequalities between the US and Mexico. There's nothing wrong with paying someone a fair wage for their market. Every single one of you is doing exactly the same thing every time you buy a finished good.

That's a well written post with some good lessons. BUT, this is such a unique case. A multi MULTI millionaire wins another $1M plus...Money he didn't even have 4 days prior, fails to engage in good Karma (if true). To me it's really that simple. Me and all my friends I've spoken to about this agree it's a COMPLETE chickensh$! move. Even if he is that cheap and self centered he should've paid the man to avoid the negative publicity. PLUS he can write it off. I'm sorry but there really is no case to support Kooch in this instance.

Thank goodness.....After 16 pages, someone finally knows what the caddie was paid...…Any chance you and all your friends could tell the rest of us the figure?

A certain ideology?

You mean like,

Ya, thats so sjw ; )

giphy.gif

Lol, I started that once but never watched it all.

Is it good?

Cheers, lh ; )

Amen to that.

Everything you need to know about part time caddies you can learn from Leonidas of "300"

giphy.gif

Ok, ok. Yoy guys almost have me spittin out some vino, now. Lol

Thank goodness.....After 16 pages, someone finally knows what the caddie was paid...…Any chance you and all your friends could tell the rest of us the figure?

You don’t read well?

That’s a well written post with some good lessons. BUT, this is such a unique case. A multi MULTI millionaire wins another $1M plus...Money he didn’t even have 4 days prior, fails to engage in good Karma (if true). To me it’s really that simple. Me and all my friends I’ve spoken to about this agree it’s a COMPLETE chickensh$! move. Even if he is that cheap and self centered he should’ve paid the man to avoid the negative publicity. PLUS he can write it off. I’m sorry but there really is no case to support Kooch in this instance.

Please tell us the facts of the case since you obviously know them. The rest of us are on the edge of our seats for you to share your profound knowledge and insight.

A certain ideology?

You mean like,

Ya, thats so sjw ; )

giphy.gif

Lol, I started that once but never watched it all.

Is it good?

Cheers, lh ; )

You'll love it. Iwas thinking about you earlier.I was having ribs with garlic mashed potatoes for my cheat day!! I was like, Bsc would be proud! cheers my good man, have a good humpday!

A certain ideology?

You mean like,

Ya, thats so sjw ; )

giphy.gif

Basic - at the end of the day I feel pretty good about two things:

1.). It’s none of our business

2.). Matt paid him whatever they agreed upon

If Matt said one thing and did another then I’d condem him. But since we don’t know what actually happened on a matter that does not concern us I suppose well have to move on with life.

I’m not willing to judge the moral fiber of Matt Kuchar based on some ****head on twitter.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

That’s a well written post with some good lessons. BUT, this is such a unique case. A multi MULTI millionaire wins another $1M plus...Money he didn’t even have 4 days prior, fails to engage in good Karma (if true). To me it’s really that simple. Me and all my friends I’ve spoken to about this agree it’s a COMPLETE chickensh$! move. Even if he is that cheap and self centered he should’ve paid the man to avoid the negative publicity. PLUS he can write it off. I’m sorry but there really is no case to support Kooch in this instance.

Please tell us the facts of the case since you obviously know them. The rest of us are on the edge of our seats for you to share your profound knowledge and insight.

I said if true. Read.

maybe you live in a bubble. You have no business telling another man what he does with his money. its not bad karma. its life.he does plenty of charitable work but you already know this. Youre literally trying to shame him into paying him more money. think about that for a second, then, think about that smart phone you have( likely a iphone or samsung statistically speaking).think about a company thats worth a trillion paying there employees that built them pennies to the point that they have to install nets around the factories because the employees keep trying to fling themselves out the windows. if that doesnt bother you neither should this. i wish you all the success in the world and to preserve your right to do with your money what you want.Take care

That’s literally the worst analogy of all time

Had a friend like that once. Not friends anymore.

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills for wanting ACTUAL EVIDENCE before being willing to condem a man regarding a matter that isn’t my business in the first place.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Amen to that.

Right when that guy says “this is madness!” - yeah that’s this entire thread.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

maybe you live in a bubble. You have no business telling another man what he does with his money. its not bad karma. its life.he does plenty of charitable work but you already know this. Youre literally trying to shame him into paying him more money. think about that for a second, then, think about that smart phone you have( likely a iphone or samsung statistically speaking).think about a company thats worth a trillion paying there employees that built them pennies to the point that they have to install nets around the factories because the employees keep trying to fling themselves out the windows. if that doesnt bother you neither should this. i wish you all the success in the world and to preserve your right to do with your money what you want.Take care

That's literally the worst analogy of all time

Great rebuttal, give me a minute to process your deep response with some thought and reflection.

Had a friend like that once. Not friends anymore.

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills for wanting ACTUAL EVIDENCE before being willing to condem a man regarding a matter that isn’t my business in the first place.

Yup, me too.Everyone is a philanthropist with other peoples money, its crazy right?

I said if true. Read.

Your last sentence was very definitive.

That's literally the worst analogy of all time

Great rebuttal, give me a minute to process your deep response with some thought and reflection.

Are you a teenager?

Its all about the facts if we ever find them out. If true shame on him. If not no harm no foul! Isnt it that simple?

Is it important for you to find out ?

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.