2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Interesting development - $3000 pay to caddy from a $1.3 million winners check? (MOD EDIT - NO POLIT

When I look at this picture I have to ask myself, does that look like the face of man who was happy and treated fairly regarding the wages he received?

392220fb-79f3-400c-821e-676dcb8078b9.jpg

Wow, this picture is obvious proof that MK only paid his caddie $3,000! Case closed.

I don't know what he paid him, but I do know a smile when I see one and the caddie is clearly not smiling. I don't think that it's a long shot that if he had received a very nice wage and was happy that he might be smiling.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I look at this picture I have to ask myself, does that look like the face of man who was happy and treated fairly regarding the wages he received?

Because you can read his mind?

Kind of a dumb post, but that is in keeping with the thread.

I don't think you have to go beyond his expression do you? I know it's a generality, but in my life experience, peoples faces generally reflect their feelings.

Wow, this picture is obvious proof that MK only paid his caddie $3,000! Case closed.

I don't know what he paid him, but I do know a smile when I see one and the caddie is clearly not smiling. I don't think that it's a long shot that if he had received a very nice wage and was happy that he might be smiling.

LMAO

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

$750 per day is pretty good money. That's equal to about $195,000 per year in a normal job with 5 days per week for 52 weeks.

So you would be totally fine getting paid 2,3% of what another person doing that job would get, as long as your pay qualifies as "pretty good money"? You absolutely wouldn't complain or say the person paying you is cheap?

This happens with actors all the time. lawyers too. Finance, CEO's...pretty much any job there are wild pay fluctuations based on experience, who you work for, how good you are etc

2-3% is extreme but not unique especially in entertainment

2-3% of what the Rock makes for movies is 500k+ dollars. Many people acting in his movies will get less than that

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You should send him a check for the money he should have received, assuming you know exactly what he was paid and what the agreement was.

I've never even heard of Tom Gillis. Seems like a wanker.

You are a good judge of character.

Let me see if I have the facts straight (please, anyone, correct me if I'm wrong)

1- Gillis wasn't the caddie for Matt

2- Gillis doesn't work for Matt

3- Gillis has never worked for Matt

4- Gillis is not Matt's attorney that, for example, would draft I.C. agreements one would use with a Caddie

5- Gillis has no insider information as to what Matt normally pays his caddie

6- Gillis went out of his way -- on twitter -- to be a SJW and call Matt out without speaking to him about it privately first

7- None of this is the business of Gillis

8- Gillis doesn't have any facts to prove his point

Does that about sum it up? I haven't been following this as closely as others have so as I mentioned please let me know if I'm wrong here.

Can't wait to see replies that dispute any of this. They should be REALLY good, lol.

$750 per day is pretty good money. That's equal to about $195,000 per year in a normal job with 5 days per week for 52 weeks.

So you would be totally fine getting paid 2,3% of what another person doing that job would get, as long as your pay qualifies as "pretty good money"? You absolutely wouldn't complain or say the person paying you is cheap?

What we are talking about is the difference between a temp and a permanent employee. Temps are never valued as much as permanent employees because they typically don't do as good of a job and there is no expectation they will. Kuch's regular caddie is someone with experience, handpicked for the job that is comitted to Matt for the long term. It is typically a relationship that involves far more than just carrying the bag and raking traps. Many caddies provide eyes on the swing, help assess wind/course conditions, help read greens, provide on course mental counseling, etc... . The temp caddie is only expected to keep up and do the rudimentary caddie tasks. It is a different job hence different pay. How much different we will likely never know nor should know.

What we are talking about is the difference between a temp and a permanent employee. Temps are never valued as much as permanent employees because they typically don't do as good of a job and there is no expectation they will. Kuch's regular caddie is someone with experience, handpicked for the job that is comitted to Matt for the long term. It is typically a relationship that involves far more than just carrying the bag and raking traps. Many caddies provide eyes on the swing, help assess wind/course conditions, help read greens, provide on course mental counseling, etc... . The temp caddie is only expected to keep up and do the rudimentary caddie tasks. It is a different job hence different pay. How much different we will likely never know nor should know.

One thing you forgot to mention is that sometimes a player "fires a good caddie" and puts his brother on the bag to facilitate the payment of attorney bills.

I disagree on a few things.

First, this guy is an absolute **expert on this course. He is not some guy Kuch pulled of the street. I imagine he was highly recommended and Kuch interviewed and selected him carefully based on his experience and advantage he could provide.

Ortiz has caddied in one other PGA Tour event, last year’s Mayakoba Classic, when he worked for the Czech golfer Alex Cejka, who finished in a tie for ninth.

In a qualifier for the tournament, Ortiz caddied for a Mexican golfer, Armando Favela, who made it into the tournament and finished in a tie for 16th, making him the low Mexican. Favela earned $108,000.

And he absolutely helped Kuch beyond keeping up and cleaning his clubs,

The best advice he gave Kuchar, Ortiz said in the interview, was during the back nine on Sunday when he told Kuchar, in his recollection, “’You need to calm down.’ He was very nervous.”

“It’s been good,” Kuchar said on Friday. Coincidentally, Kuchar’s wife, Sybi, filled in on Zach Johnson’s bag on Thursday. “I think both of us are pretty easygoing. It’s been quite easy. He’s a steady rock out there and it’s been fun to have a local, some guy who can kind of point me in the right direction and who knows the ropes around here. I’ve enjoyed it.”

“[El Tucan is] definitely my lucky charm,” Kuchar said on Sunday night. “It was great having him with me. I feel like he brought me good luck, some extra crowd support, and did a great job as well. So he was great on the bag. Did just what I kind of was looking for and hoping for.”

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/11/11/matt-kuchar-wins-local-caddie-cashes-in/

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/2018/11/13/matt-kuchar-mayakoba-caddie-18-things-to-know-el-tucan/

One thing you forgot to mention is that sometimes a player "fires a good caddie" and puts his brother on the bag to facilitate the payment of attorney bills.

Yes, well life isn't fair.

First, this guy is an absolute **expert on this course. He is not some guy Kuch pulled of the street. I imagine he was highly recommended and Kuch interviewed and selected him carefully based on his experience and advantage he could provide.

Ortiz has caddied in one other PGA Tour event, last year’s Mayakoba Classic, when he worked for the Czech golfer Alex Cejka, who finished in a tie for ninth.

In a qualifier for the tournament, Ortiz caddied for a Mexican golfer, Armando Favela, who made it into the tournament and finished in a tie for 16th, making him the low Mexican. Favela earned $108,000.

The best advice he gave Kuchar, Ortiz said in the interview, was during the back nine on Sunday when he told Kuchar, in his recollection, “’You need to calm down.’ He was very nervous.”

“It’s been good,” Kuchar said on Friday. Coincidentally, Kuchar’s wife, Sybi, filled in on Zach Johnson’s bag on Thursday. “I think both of us are pretty easygoing. It’s been quite easy. He’s a steady rock out there and it’s been fun to have a local, some guy who can kind of point me in the right direction and who knows the ropes around here. I’ve enjoyed it.”

“[El Tucan is] definitely my lucky charm,” Kuchar said on Sunday night. “It was great having him with me. I feel like he brought me good luck, some extra crowd support, and did a great job as well. So he was great on the bag. Did just what I kind of was looking for and hoping for.”

https://www.golf.com...ddie-cashes-in/

https://www.golf.com...-know-el-tucan/

Yes. In this particular case the caddie seems to bring more to the table than a stiff off the beach. That isn't necessarily typical. Also despite the Gillis ranting no one who could truly know what was paid for caddie services has provided a number.

Because you can read his mind?

Kind of a dumb post, but that is in keeping with the thread.

I don't think you have to go beyond his expression do you? I know it's a generality, but in my life experience, peoples faces generally reflect their feelings.

Of course, they do, but that doesn't mean a smile for one is a smile for all. If I could find it, I'd post up the pic of the biggest walleye I've ever caught, been taking crap over it for years - I don't enjoy having my pic taken, makes me uncomfortable, don't like to "smile" just because. I know how, happens all the time, love to laugh it up, but tell me you are taking my picture, usually isn't happening. Have a great pic of me with my two daughters from a couple years ago, they look happy as heck, I look like I've just been advised I'm having two colonoscopies the next day. They understand and that's me.

You don't know the man or the circumstances of the photo. And at that point, immediately after, doubt anything had even happened with his pay situation. Probably later, but WE DON"T KNOW!

https://www.golf.com...ddie-cashes-in/

https://www.golf.com...-know-el-tucan/

Yes. In this particular case the caddie seems to bring more to the table than a stiff off the beach. That isn't necessarily typical. Also despite the Gillis ranting no one who could truly know what was paid for caddie services has provided a number.

Ya, we don't know. Gillis seems to say he has some insider who is talking to the caddie. He really is on a crusade on this.

I don't understand how you attempt to justify this. You win 1.3m dollars (45m in career earnings) and can't even tip the man 10%. You think Kuch just iron horsed it all by himself? The caddy obviously played a roll in the win, and I'd assume it was a significant one.

Nobody, including Gillis, seems to know what actually happened substantiated by facts. So that doesn't help much on our quest for justice.

But, what the hell. At this point I'm a convert. Burn Matt at the stake; never allow him to tee it up again. Terrible person. The worst.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Posted this for a different reason somewhere else. Just shot one of the best rounds of my life on the Old Course, family trip of a lifetime, everybody else looks pretty damn happy - this is about as happy as I've ever looked in a photo since I was born!

By the looks of that caddy, I would say those women vastly underpayed him.

They should be ashamed... can we get Tom Gillis on this?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Dpavs, I thought you were kidding...but I guess you're serious about attaching dollar amount to curvature of smile. This thread is great!

Dpavs, I thought you were kidding...but I guess you're serious about attaching dollar amount to curvature of smile. This thread is great!

One of my friends didn't even smile in his wedding photos because -- brace yourselves -- he doesn't smile for photos. He's a happy guy, a great person and he's loved his wife since they were HS sweethearts. He just doesn't smile in pictures.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

I haven't read this entire thread, because I was busy in another room watching paint dry, but in my opinion, there is only one guy who should have a gripe about this, and from my understanding, we have not heard a peep out of him.....Correct me if I am wrong.

I'd go back to painting. This thread encapsulates a huge part of why our world is going down the shitter.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Gillis octupling down!

Stay patient. Truth will come out. 1f44d.png

Tour has head in the sand because they know it's true Joel. Nothing they can do to save him. Period!

Gillis

@tcgillis 17h17 hours ago

He will.

John Grant @johngrantjr

Replying to @tcgillis

Looks like he’s not gonna pony up but stick it out instead...prob not a smart move.

Lots more....

https://twitter.com/...erp|twgr^author

Gillis put a hit out on him ? What’s with the “ nothing can save him now “ cloak and dagger crap.

Even if true I’d give a crisp $100 bill to see kuchar walk up and knock Gillis’ dentures down his throat. Goodness what a tool. Even if true Gillis is just a rat.

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't understand how you attempt to justify this. You win 1.3m dollars (45m in career earnings) and can't even tip the man 10%. You think Kuch just iron horsed it all by himself? The caddy obviously played a roll in the win, and I'd assume it was a significant one.

Nice sarcasm. Will probably go over some people's head.

By the way, how could this thread turn into a political argument (hence the warning)?

Didn’t see anything ? I’m talking about idiots , tattle tells , cheapskates , and the people who feel the need to be hall monitors.

How on earth do you get politics from that ?

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Without giving away any names or figures, I'm gonna try out some perspective on this.

I caddie on Tour, no big deal...my player has status on 2 Tours, PGA and Web.com.

On the PGA Tour I'm paid a base rate, plus a sliding scale of percentage based on finishing position. You bet I want a slice of that purse if we make the cut.

On the Web, I have NEGOTIATED with my player that he pays me a much larger base rate, but I don't get any extra if me make the cut, or win for that matter.

If we were to win on the Web, I would be receive a paycheck that is way less than what most would get for a win.

But that's ok with me, Web money is not going to change any ones life, but more importantly, this is what I have agreed upon with my player in advance. He doesn't owe me a cent more, and in addition, it's really no one else's business.

Point is, I'm sure Kuchar and the caddie had a conversation about payment before the event began, and I would be confident Kuchar paid the caddie the amount they agreed on in that conversation.

It's also no one else's business...although I do understand it's interesting to learn how these things work.

^ + 1, this

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

By the way, how could this thread turn into a political argument (hence the warning)?

Didn't see anything ? I'm talking about idiots , tattle tells , cheapskates , and the people who feel the need to be hall monitors.

SJWs leads to entitlement leads to party affiliations leads to moderator intervention...

Didn’t see anything ? I’m talking about idiots , tattle tells , cheapskates , and the people who feel the need to be hall monitors.

Most people don't read the full thread anymore. Pages 4-6 is basically a bitter debate between the Whigs and the Federalists.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

You should send him a check for the money he should have received, assuming you know exactly what he was paid and what the agreement was.

I don’t think Kuchar paid him immediately after putting the flagstick in on the 18th right before taking pictures for the media. What a terrible take.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Tour Shaft

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003