2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Tour AD IZ vs Tour AD VR

MrShield

I'm a long time user of Tour AD DI and love those shafts. But it's not without challenges, my dispersion isn't very good with them.

I've decided to invest in some change this season and had more or less decided to go for Tour AD IZ even without the chance to test them first.

I'm 105Mph SS and the Tour AD DI 6s is on the limit to handle this. But on the other hand I had Tour AD DI 6x in the past and that is too much for me. I don't want to go after it at every shot which 6x required.

So a little "tighter" shaft with a little bit more penetrating flight was on the wish-list, and everything I read about Tour AD IZ, this is exactly what it seems to be. But since I'm right between S and X in swing speed (smooth tempo though) I'll consider to order the IZ 6s with 0.5" extra tipping and 1" extra tipping for my 4-wood to have a better fit for my swing speed. (Another option is to skip the extra tipping and go for 7s in driver and 8s in 4-wood, I do enjoy heavier shaft as well - anyone else has experience going this route instead of extra tipping?).

But just when I was about to order I got my eyes on Tour AD VR. Dispersion is the most important for me, but I heard that multiple people has picked up some amazing yardage with Tour AD VR compared to IZ. I see numbers like +10 yards (which to me seems to an almost unbelivable increase). This is too much to just to ignore before ordering.

Anyone tried both shafts and can confirm? What about dispersion on Tour AD VR vs IZ?

All input would be of great help. Thank you.

I’m interested in reading the opinions on this also. I tried the IZ but was pretty wild with it. I’ve stayed with the GP but am interested in the VR.

Titleist TSR4 8*  Ventus Black TR 6x
Titleist TSr3 13.5 Ventus Black TR 7x
Mizuno Pro 221 4-pw Modus 125x
Vokey SM9 52.08F 56.08M 60.04T
Scotty Newport Button Back or
Scotty Select 1/500 Newport Black Mist

I'm in a similar boat. Playing the DI 6x in driver and swing about 111. Really looking for dispersion and consistency over distance. I am also considering the IZ or DI in a flex other than 6x. Maybe DI 7s for driver... Curious to see what others respond

G430 Max 9* - Hzrdus Blue PVD 
Stealth 15* - Tour AD-IZ 

U505 2i - Hzrdus Black rdx

T200u 4i - Tour AD
Fly Z + 5-P - PX LZ

SM10 - 50, 55, 60

Versa 7

I'm in a similar boat. Playing the DI 6x in driver and swing about 111. Really looking for dispersion and consistency over distance. I am also considering the IZ or DI in a flex other than 6x. Maybe DI 7s for driver... Curious to see what others respond

I POSTED earlier and went from the DI to the IZ all of last year and got the new VR in my g400and play dit for the last 4 months - over 60 games.,The VR has been the best of the 3 .The big difference is the " snap" you can feel when it unloads - and it is 5- 9 yards longer than the IZ it replaced.I assume after talking to Bill at Pro choice ; that snap feeling is because of the fast taper it has unlike the other 2 .Dispersion is excellent. and a definite keeper.I had tried 2 different IZ's before I kept the one I HAD.

I POSTED earlier and went from the DI to the IZ all of last year and got the new VR in my g400and play dit for the last 4 months - over 60 games.,The VR has been the best of the 3 .The big difference is the " snap" you can feel when it unloads - and it is 5- 9 yards longer than the IZ it replaced.I assume after talking to Bill at Pro choice ; that snap feeling is because of the fast taper it has unlike the other 2 .Dispersion is excellent. and a definite keeper.I had tried 2 different IZ's before I kept the one I HAD.

Did you play same flex in DI, IZ and VR?

According to most things I’ve heard IZ plays a little bit stiffer to flex compared to DI. Is that true for VR as well, or does it play more like DI when it comes to flex?

I would recommend contacting Phil at ShaftShack.com and you can demo all the shafts. I demoed the DI, IZ and TP side by side through him on the course & range and chose the IZ. I would also recommend maybe tipping the shaft 1", which may help tighten up dispersion. Also interested in demoing the VR when he gets it in.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I would recommend contacting Phil at ShaftShack.com and you can demo all the shafts. I demoed the DI, IZ and TP side by side through him on the course & range and chose the IZ. I would also recommend maybe tipping the shaft 1", which may help tighten up dispersion. Also interested in demoing the VR when he gets it in.

I’m located in Sweden so unfortunately it’s not possible, but thank you anyway :-)

Did you play same flex in DI, IZ and VR?

According to most things I've heard IZ plays a little bit stiffer to flex compared to DI. Is that true for VR as well, or does it play more like DI when it comes to flex?

The VR plays softer to Feel like the DI .I found the IZ a little harsher at impacting I DID try 2 IZ's; 1 had no tipping ;the second had a 3/4" tip

Just for reference - my SS is 108-112ish and just finished demoing the DI, IZ and TP. Dispersion was all over for the DI and TP, while the IZ was as dead straight as can be. I played in some pretty rough conditions with the IZ (30 degrees and windy) and hit 12/14 fairways with the IZ. I don't think I've ever driven the ball that well in my life. The best part of the IZ was that I could flight the ball up and down depending on what the wind was doing and I could easily move it either way. I can't say enough nice things about the IZ. YMMV though. Good luck in your search just my 2 cents.

Titleist TSR3 10* - Tensei 1K White 60TX

Callaway Paradym TD 15* - Mitsubishi Kaili White 70X

TRS2 21* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 80X

Titleist T100 - Project X 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM 9 48*/53*/58* - Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx

Taylormade Spider X

2023 ProV1X

• 1 month later...

If I'm not mistaken the VR is slightly counterbalanced. Whether that helps or not is a whole other ball of wax.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Definitely interested in feedback on VR. It seems like not that many people have hit this shaft yet, most likely because there seems to be a lot of great options from almost every manufacturer past 2 years. Currently game the AD TP 7x and it also has Fast Taper Tech and i do notice it, and believe it seems to create a little faster swing speed and snap through hitting area. The AD VR is described as having a firm/stiff grip area- medium/firm middle- and firm/firm + tip area. This seems like it would feel similar to the IZ but with a higher balance point, and the fast taper tech that the IZ doesn’t have. Anyone with any kind if feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

• 4 weeks later...

> @MrShield said:

> scottleo wrote:

>

>

>

> I would recommend contacting Phil at ShaftShack.com and you can demo all the shafts. I demoed the DI, IZ and TP side by side through him on the course & range and chose the IZ. I would also recommend maybe tipping the shaft 1", which may help tighten up dispersion. Also interested in demoing the VR when he gets it in.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I’m located in Sweden so unfortunately it’s not possible, but thank you anyway :-)

I can give you some feedback on the IZ in driver.

(5 HC, 105 SS, smooth tempo).

I've been playing DI 7s and 85s in 3W and hybrid for a while and love them. I wanted to move into a Graphite Design in my driver shaft too, coming out of Rogue Silver 60s that I'd been gaming for about three years.

The IZ is definitely less active than the DI. Despite the fact the IZ is listed as being about a half-click softer in the tip than the DI, it plays noticably stiffer in the tip due to the T1100g material used in the tip section for zonal stiffness.

If you go with the IZ, you won't need to tip it, your normal GD flex will stand up because the newer materials used in the IZ compared to the DI (9-year-old shaft) are stronger.

Loving the IZ so far, feels sooooooo much better than the Aldila.

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White 
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White 
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Bridgestone Tour BX

• 7 months later...

I have an IZ 6S in a Taylormade M6 head and a VR 6S coming for my TS3 head. Currently the Titleist has the stock Tensei 55. I can see little difference in total carry but the IZ M6 combo feels very stable yet easy to load. Tried the VR in my TS head during a fitting and could get pretty much the same results, but it felt softer (Like the stock Tensei). I don’t get along with indoor sims much, so excited to hit it outside and see results.

• 1 month later...

I've played the DI6x and TP6x in the past with good results, but this year discovered the VR and have been playing it since. Tried the IZ briefly and missed a lot of balls left with it for whatever reason, so it didn't stay in the bag longer than a couple weeks.

I've found the VR to play/feel similar to the DI, but slightly tighter. Tip doesn't twist near as much on balls off center. Butt is slightly firmer, but the load profile is quite familiar if you're coming from a DI. I found the VR to produce the fastest ball speeds FOR ME of any shaft I've tried this year among Ventus Blue, Black, Accra TZ6.

I like it so much I have 4 of them with different adapters right now. One TM, Callaway, Titleist and Cobra to test all the new drivers coming out.

• Like 1

Nothing is safe in my bag!

• 3 weeks later...

First ever GD shaft was a Z9003 right about the time Tiger made the DÌ famous. Always felt the DÌ was a little loose. Stuck with Z9003 for 3 years and then cut it down for a 3wood because I picked a Bridgestone J40 with a Motore speeder 8.2 the blue japanese spec one. Well when the M1 came out it was time to go back to Graphite Design too recapture that z9003 stability and I picked up one as well as the 9003, GP, TP, DÌ (Tx), VR and hit the IZ and felt it was too linear and didn’t have the explosive pop. Stuck with VR because it feels stable like the Z9003 but not as stout. Shaft has that pop and it is super stable. Feels like a hybrid of an old school blue board and white board. Have them in Driver (7TX), 3w (8x), and 5W (8TX). This shaft is unreal and can’t believe it has received zero hype. Not surprising though in a saturated market of Fuji’s and Diamana’s. Gonna need Tiger to hype up the VR train...until then let the sleepers sleep and game what puts you in the fairway.

• Like 1

Have it in a fairway currently, but that's my only exposure to it. Feels very stable with a smooth unload feeling, but the ball flight is flat and doesn't have any sort of exaggerated shape. Interestingly it tends to want to draw which is unusual for me with a more stable, tighter feeling shaft. As I said not an exaggerated draw, just that it will almost always end up left of my target line. I prefer to fade so this has been an adjustment, but it could also be related to the head it's in being more upright than I'm used to/prefer. Also, these are winter swings so I am taking them with a grain of salt. I like a little more versatility with my 3w so this may be better for me in a driver which I'm looking to try if I can find one.

Tried out an IZ in driver for a few bouts last season and it never worked. Really never knew where it was going, but also hit some of the longest drives of my life with it so kept giving it a chance. Not really sure how to describe the feel other than inconsistent - loose isn't the right word but just kind of an artificial-ness to it if that makes sense.

Gone back & forth between both these since the VR was released. Played 50g & 60g in both models. I honestly could game either but settled on the IZ. It simply is the most consistent shaft for me...borderline boring. Produces a very straight, high launching ball flight with low spin. Definitely a more linear feel with less activity throughout. The VR seems to feel similar except at impact, there's a modest kick. VR did produce a bit more speed over the IZ and launched just slightly lower. Really can't go wrong with either, both are as good as it gets in my TS2.

I have the IZ in my fairway wood and my Rogue hybrids and have like it so far. The talk around the VR has me interested, as it seems the few who have played both shafts, in general prefer the VR (post above to the contrary).

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a VR 7x to put in my 3 wood. I have an IZ 8x in a 5 wood that I've been testing, and it definitely likes a straight ball flight or a slight draw. Great shaft, but i feel like it lacks that little extra pop that i am used to with my TP in driver. I will keep updated.

Callaway Rogue ST MaxLS 9*w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6s

Callaway Epic Flash sz 15* /Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7s

Titleist Tsi2 hybrid 18* /GD Tour AD IZ 85x

Titleist T-100s 4-GW /PX Lz 6.0

Titleist SM9 54-12d, 60-10s /PX Lz 6.0

Bettinardi BBzero

@MrShield The IZ and VR shafts you are considering have the same Maltby MPF code...4B1M. Both have torque of 3.2.
Differences...
GD Tour AD IZ 6 S
Weight: 63g
Launch: High

GD Tour AD VR 6 S
Weight: 65g
Launch: mid/high

I haven't hit the IZ but In my driver fitting last year, the VR 6S was the best shaft for me. Easy to swing but the tip was stable. My SS is 104 so about the same as you.
I ended up going with the Ping Tour 65X because the VR was only slightly better than the Ping Tour and the VR was a $350 up charge. The Ping Tour worked well for me but I somewhat regret that decision and may consider the VR again. In the meantime I am trying the Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S. It is very similar to the VR (2 grams heavier and -0.2 torque). I like the feel of the Fuji but I get better ball speeds with my Ping Tour so I haven't decided which I will game this year yet.
I am a bit between S and X. I like mid 60s weight but I can't stand active tip sections so the Fuji and VR really fit well for what I am looking for.

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just pulled the trigger on a Mavrik Sub zero fwy with a AD VR 7 stiff shaft. This will replace my Epic Flash SZ fwy with the AD IZ. I hope I don't regret this, as I traded in a 3 wood that I liked and hit pretty consistently. I partially did it to clear out a lot of clubs, and so this only ended up costing me $37 with the Callaway additional 50% trade in bonus. I did hit the Mavrik on the monitor at the PGA Superstore and the numbers looked alittle better than my Epic Flash SZ, in a side by side comparison, and that was with a shaft that I didn't really care for.

LEFT HANDED

Picked up a VR for my Sim Max D. Great looking setup, just need to cut it down to 44.75” and get a grip on it.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• 2 weeks later...

I have the new Sim max driver and 3 wood.

Driver o have just tried with my new VR 6x playing at 45.. my 3 wood has the iz 7s tipped 1 inch.the ad iz for my driver will be ready tomorrow

I am average 105 with a 3/4 fast aggressive ???swing. Think Tony finau but not as sexy

Ok so the VR tonight was point and shoot .its awesome. The launch .feel spin trajectory all looked spot on. Il be doing trackman on Saturday to confirm.. the 3 wood also was awesome so as much as I want to play same in both the VR may stay in the driver..also the colour scheme is awesome !.

45C6NL2QEYCL.jpg

YBBEHB644R19.jpg

I just got my Mavrik SZ 3+ with AD VR 7S shaft. This is replacing my Epic Flash SZ 3+ with AD IZ 7S which was really good as well. If this thing doesn’t go straight, then I have made a huge expensive mistake, as I traded in the Epic Flash SZ which was a very consistent 250 yds in the fairway

LEFT HANDED

• 1 month later...

Any more feedback about the VR in a fairway? I love it in my driver and thinking about replacing my AD DI in my 3 wood.

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Early experience with the VR has me regretting the change I made. I was much more consistent with the IZ. My swing isn’t great right now, so I am going to give it alittle more time but so far, I am definitely regretting the “upgrade”

LEFT HANDED