2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

So, Is "Tiger Effect" Still a Thing? (Merged)

IamMarkMac

> @smashdn said:

> You guys may have already defined it but I would ask what is the effect? Guys being intimidated and folding around him?

> I don't think Finau or Molinari or any in the groups ahead were intimidated by Tiger. I think Tiger had the experience to not be intimidated by the stage they were all on. He wasn't overwhelmed by where he was, on the leaderboard or the course or otherwise.

>

> The other Tiger effect, people who don't follow or care about golf tuning in when he is in contention, I think is very real. Why do I see posts from people (women included) on facebook that I don't think have ever picked up a club? In my circle I know who plays golf, who has played golf and sports in general and those that do not. I saw a fair number of posts from the last category yesterday afternoon.

The Tiger Effect, at least on the course, is basically your game being affected because Tiger is in contention. It is objectively true that Tiger’s gallery is louder and larger than any other player’s. Does this cause mistakes more than normal? That’s the effect.

Yes, the name Tiger Effect is also used for increased youth joining golf, increased viewership, etc but I was just speaking in terms of his competitors on the day.

Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @bscinstnct said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > > @bscinstnct said:

> > > > @JAMH03 said:

> > > > If it was real... why does TW have a grand total of one come from behind win out of 75 or however many majors he's been trailing in?

> > >

> > > Then again, when you do this, plus for a decade win 25% of your starts (includimg majors) and in some years 35% or more, it tends to create a certain "effect"....

> > >

> > > "Woods is 52-4 when holding a share of the 54-hole lead, including 41-2 when he's held it outright."

> > >

> > > From 2015.

> > >

> > > https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2015/08/22/tiger-woods-pga-tour-record-36-54-hole-lead-12650/

> >

> > Seems more indicative of him being the better golfer to get those leads in the first place. Giving the better golfer a handicap probably explains those outcomes just as well if not better. I understand it's an unpopular opinion but since the data supports it I'm OK with it. PS love your avatar! Will read link as well.

>

> "better golfer", yes, that's the key

>

> Intimidation is as intimidation does. If a guy (TW 1.0) wins 4 majors in a row and 1/3 of his starts then....

>

> He's better than you. And you know it. And he knows it. Kind of like Trevino said about Jack.

>

> This iteration of Tiger is not 1.0. But now that he has won a green jacket. It's gone from....

>

> .

>

> Oh, hey, look, it's old man Tiger. Man, feel bad for him. But I can't wait to beat him

>

> To

>

> Oh ****, I'm playing Tiger.

Totally exciting I agree! But great young pros struggled closing, before, during and after TWs sublime play.

I think it's true to an extent. Some players will certainly be affected by it. Sergio or Phil come to mind....I don't think someone like Brooks will affected though as he seems to have the right mindset. Players that dealt with Tiger in the past won't need much to rehash old feelings. Players who haven't dealt with that yet are going to need to see a lot more I think. In the early 2000s it was universal...now I think it's dependent on the player. However, if he were to somehow start winning 3-5 times a season for the next year or two then it may return in full but I don't think he has enough good years left for that to happen. I'm guessing he will be good for 1-3 wins tops maybe another major here or there. Then again, it is TW and he has proven that you can't ever count him out.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

> @legitimategolf said:

> I think Rory's still feeling the Tiger effect. Rory was doing so good this year--until he ran into Tiger at the Match Play. Been sulky ever since.

I think Rory is just feeling the career Slam pressure. At some point he will have to relax and just play his game. Going to Augusta every year for the career Slam attempt is both a blessing and a curse. It's a blessing to get 20+ chances on the same golf course to get your career Slam.

It's a curse because there is no bigger pressure in golf than Sunday at Augusta. It's also a curse because Rory has serious baggage from his early career at the course. He added more baggage in 2018 with the Sunday fade while paired with Reed.

> @JAMH03 said:

> If it was real... why does TW have a grand total of one come from behind win out of 75 or however many majors he's been trailing in?

TW is a great front runner and closer. His majors strategy is to be patient, make as few mistakes as possible and sprinkle in some birdies here or there. If you are 2 or 3 shots behind, doing that won't get you many wins. But if you have a lead, it makes you one heck of a closer. If he was as aggressive as he was in the 90's he may have a handful of come from behind wins....but he probably wouldn't have as many total majors either.

Driver: Sim2 with Ventus Blue 6x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: PXG 0317x 17* with Fuji Pro 2.0 85x
Irons: PXG 0211ST w/KBS Tour X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

> @ferrispgm said:

> > @JAMH03 said:

> > If it was real... why does TW have a grand total of one come from behind win out of 75 or however many majors he's been trailing in?

>

> TW is a great front runner and closer. His majors strategy is to be patient, make as few mistakes as possible and sprinkle in some birdies here or there. If you are 2 or 3 shots behind, doing that won't get you many wins. But if you have a lead, it makes you one heck of a closer. If he was as aggressive as he was in the 90's he may have a handful of come from behind wins....but he probably wouldn't have as many total majors either.

It's also just a fact that he was more talented than any of the guys he played in his prime. So if he was in form, odds are he was in the lead after 54 holes. If he was behind, then he was probably struggling with his game. That doesn't typically get fixed overnight.

• Like 2

> @IamMarkMac said:

> Some people say it's not. That this new generation of players are not affected by Tiger crowds the way that players were in years past. That the dunked shots, the missed putts, those were just the breaks of the game. Tiger's crowd did not alter anyone's play any more than if Dustin Johnson had been the one making the move up the leaderboard.

> I tend to think that the Tiger crowd did rattle a few, whether or not they care to admit.

> @IamMarkMac said:

> Some people say it's not. That this new generation of players are not affected by Tiger crowds the way that players were in years past. That the dunked shots, the missed putts, those were just the breaks of the game. Tiger's crowd did not alter anyone's play any more than if Dustin Johnson had been the one making the move up the leaderboard.

> I tend to think that the Tiger crowd did rattle a few, whether or not they care to admit.

is the only way to respond to a discussion is to click on the quote button? Is there not a respond button anymore?

But back to the topic... i have heard it is hardest on the groups right in front of Tiger or right behind Tiger. Because of the excess movement and the cheering (they cheer when he cleans his ball). Are they rattled or affected by it? i think they are annoyed by it.

> @IamMarkMac said:

The thing is, JT and Rory both said it had an effect after Riv in 2018. One of them (I can't remember who) made the comment that it was about 1.5 stroke penalty just for being Tiger and having to deal with it, they were just caught up in that. There's a different roar when it's Tiger, many guys have said that. Molinari mentioned the crowd on 12 having some effect on things mentally. For a guy who is seemingly unflappable, that speaks volumes.

> @2ball said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > Some people say it's not. That this new generation of players are not affected by Tiger crowds the way that players were in years past. That the dunked shots, the missed putts, those were just the breaks of the game. Tiger's crowd did not alter anyone's play any more than if Dustin Johnson had been the one making the move up the leaderboard.

> > I tend to think that the Tiger crowd did rattle a few, whether or not they care to admit.

>

> > @IamMarkMac said:

> > Some people say it's not. That this new generation of players are not affected by Tiger crowds the way that players were in years past. That the dunked shots, the missed putts, those were just the breaks of the game. Tiger's crowd did not alter anyone's play any more than if Dustin Johnson had been the one making the move up the leaderboard.

> > I tend to think that the Tiger crowd did rattle a few, whether or not they care to admit.

>

> is the only way to respond to a discussion is to click on the quote button? Is there not a respond button anymore?

>

> But back to the topic... i have heard it is hardest on the groups right in front of Tiger or right behind Tiger. Because of the excess movement and the cheering (they cheer when he cleans his ball). Are they rattled or affected by it? i think they are annoyed by it.

>

It's also hard for the guys in his group. Tiger marks shorter putts at times because he knows the crowd is going to start moving to the next hole as soon as he makes out of respect for his fellow competitors. There's a heck of a lot to deal with when it comes to playing with, around, or as Tiger Woods.

> @2ball said:

> > @IamMarkMac said:

>

> is the only way to respond to a discussion is to click on the quote button? Is there not a respond button anymore?

>

> But back to the topic... i have heard it is hardest on the groups right in front of Tiger or right behind Tiger. Because of the excess movement and the cheering (they cheer when he cleans his ball). Are they rattled or affected by it? i think they are annoyed by it.

>

Annoyed = affected if it affected your play. I also wonder if it actually does annoy them. I tend to think that most of the young guys on tour now started as Tiger fans. They, if they have any sense of the evolution of the game, must also know that their public coverage and purses today are a direct result of what Tiger brings/brought to golf. As a professional, you have to be some sort of jerk to view his gallery as an annoyance. If anything, you would wish you had the same.

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

> @Jc0 said:

> > @3jacker said:

> > TW is averaging 300 thus far in 2019. Rory (longest avg thus far of the "greats") is at 312.

> > 12 yds isn't really that big a deal, certainly not a disadvantage.

>

> He's much more behind than just that compared to the longer hitters. It's only 12 on average but Rory, DJ, and Brooks just have a gear that Tiger no longer has. That being said he is still by far the best iron player in the world so that's makes up for the distance loss.

He has another gear, he just didn't need to use it this weekend, because he wanted to hit the fairway

> @tiderider said:

> > @"27x10.5" said:

> > Before today I got the feeling that Rory would have felt guilty beating him, like the Tour Championship last year I didn’t think Rory had it in him to get competitive enough to really try and take that one from him. Not saying he definitely could have that day but I got the feeling he didn’t give it his best shot

> >

> > > @Pent08 said:

> > > It certainly seems to affect Rory. In finals rounds when Rory is both contending and paired with Tiger, he has always struggled.

> >

> >

>

> rory's not intimidated by tiger ... he just doesn't have the shots tiger has when the pressure is on ...

I don’t think he’s intimidated either. I’m saying I think he’s so influenced by Tiger that he didn’t have it in him to try and beat him at the Tour Championship. Like he wouldn’t have taken that comeback win away from him if he really put his head down and tried to play his best that day. Not saying that’s the case but just what I thought about it

> @DivinDave said:

> I hope to god Tiger and BK square off in the final group at the US Open on Sunday. My money would be on Tiger all day long.

>

Maybe at the PGA.

Phil's coming for the US Open. Pebble Beach magic one more time at the right time baby.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

> @"27x10.5" said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @"27x10.5" said:

> > > Before today I got the feeling that Rory would have felt guilty beating him, like the Tour Championship last year I didn’t think Rory had it in him to get competitive enough to really try and take that one from him. Not saying he definitely could have that day but I got the feeling he didn’t give it his best shot

> > >

> > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > It certainly seems to affect Rory. In finals rounds when Rory is both contending and paired with Tiger, he has always struggled.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > rory's not intimidated by tiger ... he just doesn't have the shots tiger has when the pressure is on ...

>

> I don’t think he’s intimidated either. I’m saying I think he’s so influenced by Tiger that he didn’t have it in him to try and beat him at the Tour Championship. Like he wouldn’t have taken that comeback win away from him if he really put his head down and tried to play his best that day. Not saying that’s the case but just what I thought about it

>

>

you think rory laid down because he wanted tiger to win ...

ok ...

• Like 1

> @"27x10.5" said:

> > @tiderider said:

> > > @"27x10.5" said:

> > > Before today I got the feeling that Rory would have felt guilty beating him, like the Tour Championship last year I didn’t think Rory had it in him to get competitive enough to really try and take that one from him. Not saying he definitely could have that day but I got the feeling he didn’t give it his best shot

> > >

> > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > It certainly seems to affect Rory. In finals rounds when Rory is both contending and paired with Tiger, he has always struggled.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > rory's not intimidated by tiger ... he just doesn't have the shots tiger has when the pressure is on ...

>

> I don’t think he’s intimidated either. I’m saying I think he’s so influenced by Tiger that he didn’t have it in him to try and beat him at the Tour Championship. Like he wouldn’t have taken that comeback win away from him if he really put his head down and tried to play his best that day. Not saying that’s the case but just what I thought about it

>

>

Intimidated is a strong word. I believe it may have been appropriate before but not so much today.

It must be something new though for Rory, DJ, Brooks and the other PGA stars to be in the heart of a fight for a title and realize, no one is rooting for you. Everybody wants Tiger to win. Sure, you'll have your odd loyal fan who'll yell your name during a momentary break in the Tiger fanfare but that actually seems sadder to me. They're probably used to big applause when they sink something but against Tiger, they'll get nothing close to what they're used to.

> @MtlJeff said:

> > @GoGoErky said:

> > Guys who wanted to play with tiger growing up and wishing him to come back are now second guessing that. > @playa said:

> > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > Guys who wanted to play with tiger growing up and wishing him to come back are now second guessing that.

> > >

> > > Baker Finch pretty much said the same thing. Sort of be careful what you wish for.

> >

> > Easy to say and wish you could be paired with him or that it’s nice to have him back while he struggles or in this latest come back was getting his sea legs under him. After he won at east lake guys had to think maybe I don’t want the old tiger. If they weren’t worried then they should be now. He’s also got the never won a major from behind monkey off the back too

>

> I think we're probably selling some of the young guys short. It's a great opportunity to play with a living legend who is still playing major caliber golf. If you're 30yrs old on tour you were a freshman in college or senior in HS the last time he won. Going up against Tiger and beating him is something they can tell their kids about, and he is 43 with a long injury history after all, it's unlikely he's going to dominate golf for 5-7 years starting now. This is something they'll never get a chance to do again, and it looked like they'd never get a chance period

>

> The competitive young guys, I'd bet they really ARE happy he's "back". They get to compete with Tiger! They probably dreamed about this when they were 16. If they lose, big deal he's tiger Woods

You're only going back to the age of 16 for a 30 year old pro? The 30 year old was 8 when Tiger won in '97. So he grew up idolizing Woods. Spieth was only 3 in 1997.

Intimidated is probably the wrong word. The other players are not now and never were really intimidated. But they are and were affected. Back in the day Tiger would get the lead and the others would press. They knew, absolutely knew, Tiger was not going to come back to the field. So they pressed trying to make birdies.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

> @Shilgy said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > Guys who wanted to play with tiger growing up and wishing him to come back are now second guessing that. > @playa said:

> > > > > @GoGoErky said:

> > > > > Guys who wanted to play with tiger growing up and wishing him to come back are now second guessing that.

> > > >

> > > > Baker Finch pretty much said the same thing. Sort of be careful what you wish for.

> > >

> > > Easy to say and wish you could be paired with him or that it’s nice to have him back while he struggles or in this latest come back was getting his sea legs under him. After he won at east lake guys had to think maybe I don’t want the old tiger. If they weren’t worried then they should be now. He’s also got the never won a major from behind monkey off the back too

> >

> > I think we're probably selling some of the young guys short. It's a great opportunity to play with a living legend who is still playing major caliber golf. If you're 30yrs old on tour you were a freshman in college or senior in HS the last time he won. Going up against Tiger and beating him is something they can tell their kids about, and he is 43 with a long injury history after all, it's unlikely he's going to dominate golf for 5-7 years starting now. This is something they'll never get a chance to do again, and it looked like they'd never get a chance period

> >

> > The competitive young guys, I'd bet they really ARE happy he's "back". They get to compete with Tiger! They probably dreamed about this when they were 16. If they lose, big deal he's tiger Woods

>

> You're only going back to the age of 16 for a 30 year old pro? The 30 year old was 8 when Tiger won in '97. So he grew up idolizing Woods. Spieth was only 3 in 1997.

>

> Intimidated is probably the wrong word. The other players are not now and never were really intimidated. But they are and were affected. Back in the day Tiger would get the lead and the others would press. They knew, absolutely knew, Tiger was not going to come back to the field. So they pressed trying to make birdies.

I just meant the last time he won. Sure it goes back to even before that.

I think the generations are different. 1998-2006 Tiger has a superhuman short game, never missed a putt of consequence for 10 years, and he hit it the furthest LOL. It was like playing a robot. Players admitted this (eventually), that they forced things to just hope they caught lightning in a bottle to beat him. They had no other chance.

I think the guys now just don't see it the same way. I think they see him as a peer in terms of a fellow top 5-10 player. Of course the massive crowds cheering for him can be demoralizing. But i don't think Brooks Koepka or DJ thinks that Tiger has a game that "they are unfamiliar with" to use a well known phrase. That's not a knock on Tiger or anything, he's 43. It happens to everyone where you fall off a bit. Michael Jordan was ridiculous for a 38 yr old in Washington but guys could still go at him way more than they could earlier

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The "Tiger Effect". These guys have Tiger watching them more than they "******want******" to watch him. The post game interviews showed Tiger was watching them closely and especially BK in the group ahead. I think out off all the others BK can make Tiger uneasy. Tiger stated on 12 he made the decision on how to play it and the club to use from mostly watching BK and the club he used. BUT, here's the kicker, the crowd won't let BK and the others not look back, the players don't want to, but as you saw with BK and others, the Tiger Roar puts Tiger in your head, you can't help it. It dictates when you start your routine, play your shot and therefore disrupts the individual routine and flow of the game of others. Its not Tigers fault nor the crowds, but its inevitable they make a mistake, and as we saw it only takes one or two mistakes to loose.

Definition - The added pressure on ones game and subsequent error due to the inability to play to your own rhythm because of the inability to escape the "Tiger Roar" and the Ora of the person it represents.

For me that is the new "Tiger Effect". AND I LOVE IT! Toughen up lads because its not going away anytime soon.

• Like 1

> @tiderider said:

> > @"27x10.5" said:

> > > @tiderider said:

> > > > @"27x10.5" said:

> > > > Before today I got the feeling that Rory would have felt guilty beating him, like the Tour Championship last year I didn’t think Rory had it in him to get competitive enough to really try and take that one from him. Not saying he definitely could have that day but I got the feeling he didn’t give it his best shot

> > > >

> > > > > @Pent08 said:

> > > > > It certainly seems to affect Rory. In finals rounds when Rory is both contending and paired with Tiger, he has always struggled.

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > rory's not intimidated by tiger ... he just doesn't have the shots tiger has when the pressure is on ...

> >

> > I don’t think he’s intimidated either. I’m saying I think he’s so influenced by Tiger that he didn’t have it in him to try and beat him at the Tour Championship. Like he wouldn’t have taken that comeback win away from him if he really put his head down and tried to play his best that day. Not saying that’s the case but just what I thought about it

> >

> >

>

> you think rory laid down because he wanted tiger to win ...

>

> ok ...

Kid worshiped Tiger there was no way he was messing that day up in my opinion

> @"R.Tobes" said:

> > @Chazb said:

> > No I think it’s a myth it didn’t happen at bellerive or the British open when Tiger was in contention.

> Well at that point in this new comeback, Tiger hadn’t won yet. This time the other players knew he was capable of winning again, combined with how he’s been in contention the last 3 majors now, and they got rattled.

>

Are you forgetting he WON the Tour Championship???! How the hell is that not a win.

That said, I think,yes, it was a factor in 2000 but I don't think it's a factor now. At the Tour Championship, he just played better and he played his heart out. This Masters, many things contributed to him coming out on top....Lucky bounces; any one of those errant tee shots on the left or right of the holes he missed the fairway could have nailed down his coffin. Epic FAIL from Molinari putting it in the drink TWICE, which is just almost unimaginable for a pro of his talent and current game. Experience and Knowledge; He just knows Augusta greens, around the greens, and what side of the fairway to hit to, better than anybody. He's studied them for years with a great track record here. After Molinari faltered, it was to his mental playbook (created by years of experience) to take control of the tournament. 16 was just a perfectly placed tee shot and an extra bonus.

Not all of you may agree, but I know most will. There were many factors to this win.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> We know Tiger is Jack, who's Tom Watson?

>

> Brooks took one off of him at the PGA. Will anyone else step up?

Molinari would be Trevino. Ballstriking machine, not the longest hitter, etc. Heck of a short game too. Very similar players when you think about their ballstriking and short game. Both guys very mentally strong. I was pretty shocked to see Molinari have the meltdowns at 12 & 15 on Sunday.

> @redfirebird08 said:

> > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > We know Tiger is Jack, who's Tom Watson?

> >

> > Brooks took one off of him at the PGA. Will anyone else step up?

>

> Molinari would be Trevino. Ballstriking machine, not the longest hitter, etc. Heck of a short game too. Very similar players when you think about their ballstriking and short game. Both guys very mentally strong. I was pretty shocked to see Molinari have the meltdowns at 12 & 15 on Sunday.

On 15 the ball hit a tree. Was that a breakdown?

Or was the breakdown his 1st and 2nd shot?

> @rattlergolfer said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > @"Darth Putter" said:

> > > We know Tiger is Jack, who's Tom Watson?

> > >

> > > Brooks took one off of him at the PGA. Will anyone else step up?

> >

> > Molinari would be Trevino. Ballstriking machine, not the longest hitter, etc. Heck of a short game too. Very similar players when you think about their ballstriking and short game. Both guys very mentally strong. I was pretty shocked to see Molinari have the meltdowns at 12 & 15 on Sunday.

>

> On 15 the ball hit a tree. Was that a breakdown?

>

> Or was the breakdown his 1st and 2nd shot?

Great points. Before Sunday's round, I told my wife Molinari would be hard to beat because he didn't make mistakes. I was floored to see him get two doubles. No question Tiger was in his head.

> @rattlergolfer said:

>

> On 15 the ball hit a tree. Was that a breakdown?

>

> Or was the breakdown his 1st and 2nd shot?

Molinari is a ballstriking machine. He hit a horrible tee shot at 15 and then a very poor layup as well. He put himself in bad spots and paid the price with the tree branch on the 3rd shot.

> @RobotDoctor said:

> > @MtlJeff said:

> > Tiger has been in contention a lot the past couple of years and hasn't won as much as he used to, certainly. He was always going to win again, playing as well as he was, but I don't think you can say that everyone was intimidated just because he won today. He won because he was the best IMO. That happens sometimes too, the best guy just wins.

> >

> > In 1998-2006 guys like Ernie Els flat out admitted they altered their game with Tiger because they knew they couldn't beat him unless they did crazy things. When he was in contention they'd hit dumb shots, be overly aggressive etc...

> >

> > I dont think guys like shauffele, Koepka, Johnson and others think like this now. I think they see tiger as a peer but not an immortal. Tiger will still beat them, but Koepka didn't seem to crumble at the PGA championship either.

> >

> > I'm really looking forward to this season to see for sure though

>

> Here is something to consider. Almost all the young stars of golf can drive the ball with greater accuracy and a bit father than Woods can. They know that, they know Tiger knows that. These great young players also know that Tiger has a tendency to be a little wild off the drive (whether that is with driver, 3 wood or the occasional iron). Yet, Tiger often manages to get out of trouble and still score as if he is Houdini. Case in point was the 14th hole on Friday and Saturday. He birdies both days when he should have probably taken bogey each day after his drives there. Keep doing that enough and a golfer will definitely get in the heads of their playing partners, let alone the field. This is what Tiger has excelled in, the recovery from certain "death" (so to speak). Tiger Woods simply wears down his opponents and is as tenacious as a Pit Bull with a bone when he gets into contention. Sometimes Tiger perseveres, sometimes he doesn't. After all, he is not a robot. He is simply a competitor who's focus is to win. I believe his play yesterday affected several players in the field and instead of focusing solely on their game and strategy they focused on Tiger, or at least the thought of Tiger had crept into their minds. That plays right into "Houdini's" hand.

>

> Jack Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer often have said their focus at some events, including major championships, were on trying to beat the other and that they had lost focus on the rest of the field that it probably cost them a handful of major championships. The point here is a golfer must focus at their own task at hand and not worry about another player. When Tiger Woods gets into contention players start to think about him and his charge and what they have to do to keep in front that they lose focus on their plan. If this were a chess game then Tiger has just checked the other player.

Very well stated, imagine leaving the teebox and you've flushed your drive down the heart of the fairway, and Tiger is 20y back and 50 yards left in the trees. Immediately you assume you've got him on that hole, only to find out his next shot, a noodle-whip stinger, somehow limps on the green. That's got to be extremely demoralizing after experiencing Houdini first hand, time and time again.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I think this go around, the "effect" will be from the massive galleries and commotion from the hole behind to the hole ahead of Tiger. The older players on tour when Tiger started winning suffered from a combination of demoralization of Tiger's game and annoyance from his galleries. They were butt hurt from word go that a young kid was out there letting them have it. A lot of them genuinely resented all of it and that mindset had them beat before they planted a tee.

The young guys now that grew up Tiger fans don't have that resentment. They'll have to get used to dealing with the gallery commotion and some of them won't handle it well. The guys that love the extra excitement and intensity will be fine. If something like that annoys you as a competitor, it's already in your head and you're done. You have to embrace it as an opportunity to make your mark. I'm looking forward to it, because I think there's enough of them that will embrace it to hopefully make the next 3 years or so ( or how ever many Tiger's health holds up ) really fun to watch. As a Tiger fan, I'm glad he got this one. Now I can relax and enjoy the rest of the ride no matter who wins these things from now on. My only fear was him getting close over and over again and not getting it done. All GRAVY from hear on out.

Just need Rickie and Finau to get one and maybe Phil one more time and I will be a fully fulfilled golf fan.

There aren't any pro golfers who would be good at other sports at a professional level, just like there aren't any other pro athletes who can be pro golfers either. I'm not saying if you took a star baseball guy and started him on golf at a young age he wouldn't have a chance, but just saying. It's not a guarantee. Golf requires different things. More and more it's fast twitch muscles and hand eye coordination to the extreme. For all the time Michael Jordan, who's obviously super athletic and GOAT, plays golf, he's not even close to pro level. Steph Curry played since he was a kid and still not a pro level game. Tony Romo, while an excellent golfer... no way he is a pro golfer either. It's not like Bo Jackson who was pro at baseball and football. Golf is a much harder game to master.

That said if you have a group of NBA level athletes starting young as golfers, they'd make Tiger look like a child. Drive 350-400 in the fairway or on the green isn't a dream for those guys. Clubs might be a bit short though lol.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS