Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Headed to Bandon next week (Thursday - Sunday) in a group of 16. My 3rd (or 4th?) trip, so I am not totally new. Arrival day we have tee times on Pacific around 10:45-11am.  Depending on what time we finish, I think I may get an extra 9-ish holes in on Pacific or Bandon, depending on availability/daylight. I know pro shop staff will have some suggestions but wanted to ask the WRX squad.

What are the best hole routings to take on Pac or Bandon that will get me back "close" to the clubhouse so I am not walking across the course in the dark after sun down? - Holes don't have to be in order either but that will depend on other groups on the course...

Appreciate it @spud3 - Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking but couldn't remember if there were any other quirks. I knew PD 7 was right next to the PunchBowl as an ideal finishing hole for a short loop.

For BD i was also thinking, depending how many are on the course and daylight... BD 1-4, 12/13-18 but if I was to do that it would probably be better to just go off of 10 again depends on current groups on course. 

Edited by R4haehl

There is no such thing as being slotted into a back 9 there, and they generally close off the tee sheets when they know people won't be able to finish so they don't have to walk in after dark. Old Mac has a shortened route as well if people want, and I think there's a spot on Trails to cut some off as well, provided there's nobody ahead of you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, R4haehl said:

Appreciate it @spud3 - Yeah that's kind of what I was thinking but couldn't remember if there were any other quirks. I knew PD 7 was right next to the PunchBowl as an ideal finishing hole for a short loop.

For BD i was also thinking, depending how many are on the course and daylight... BD 1-4, 12/13-18 but if I was to do that it would probably be better to just go off of 10 again depends on current groups on course. 

You don't go off on the back on any of the courses. You start on 1 and wind your way from there 😉

Bandon - assuming you're not cutting anyone off - is straight up 1-9 | 1-6, 9 | 1-6, 4-6 (times X), 7-9 or 9

In addition to Spud's suggestions, on Pac you can go 1-5, then cut to 10-12, 4-7. OM will always involve a bit of a hike to link up to 18, but you can use #3 tee to play to #17 green and create a 150ydish par 3 with left and right mounds to play off of. Trails is the trickiest because the only 18 brings you back and cutting over is most likely to bump into others. Trails 1-6 and then walk in via Lily Pond car park, but really it's the least appealing for ad-hoc routing.

• Like 2

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

6 minutes ago, Dsevans8 said:

Anyone in Oregon know if they are planning on opening back up indoor dining and the hot tub in March?

Horse's mouth is the only way to go:

http://bandonsafepractices.golf

https://cooshealthandwellness.org/

Edited by duffer987

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

BT - 1,2,3,45,17,18 or 1,2,3,16,17,18

Thing is you might be running into people finishing their round

PD works well with 1-7 since you don't have to worry about people finishing their round. And you don't want to be caught in the dark on BT

Old Mac 1,2,3,12,13,14,15,16,17,18

Everybody relax, I’m here

Thanks for all the replies! Makes sense as to not letting ppl go off on 10 anywhere, though BD is the only course where that would work. Rest of our schedule is packed, so this is hopeful thinking to squeeze in a little extra golf. Realistically, I will probably be able to get a few bonus holes (1-7) on Pac since we are playing it that day and I will be right there. That's the only drawback of our February trips is the sun going down around 6. 

Our schedule:

Th - Pac / bonus holes or punch bowl

Fri - Trails / BD

Sat - Old Mac / Preserve  

Sun - Sheep / head home 😞

Can't wait to be back at Bandon

My experience with going out in the afternoon is that they are fine with it, as long as you have a plan for getting back by nightfall.  Especially if it's after 36 holes and you are playing for free.  Chances are good that you'll get a visit or two from a ranger, who will ask you what your plan is.  It's not a harassing thing, they just keep close track on singles going out later, even offering rides back in if it's getting close to dark.  They can't go home until everyone is accounted for, which is why they put one of those tracker devices on your bag.

Just check in with the pro shop of whatever course you just finished and they can tell you which course is most open and/or suggest short loops that would fit in the remaining daylight.  Those guys are all golf nerds, too.  They get it.

Edited by spud3
  • Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I love Bandon's third round is free, one of the best parts of the resort.  I nearly always play 36 a day and it's great to be able to check in and just head out, perhaps with a half bag, if you want a little more golf but only have an hour or two before dark.  Pacific 1-7 or the front at Bandon are glorious finishes to a day.

• Like 2

On 6/2/2019 at 3:52 AM, Dr. Hack said:

If I was doing the drive down to SF I'd stop at Northwood for a round for sure. But i'm an architecture geek. There's just not a lot of other times you'll find yourself in Santa Rosa. Then I'd spend the night in Sonoma or Petaluma (wine country), and hit the city the next day or stick around for more wine. I've been wanting to take advantage of a connection at Mayacama....hmmmm.....sounds like a fun trip.

If you ever did this, and stayed in Petaluma. Rooster run (outskirts of town) is a cool-ish track that borders a private air field in which planes fly to/from daily. It’s not the most architecturally nerdy course, but aviation and golf is cool. Also, if you time it right and stayed in Windsor instead, same goes for Windsor’s golf course, but with hot air balloons

21 minutes ago, Carpenter792 said:

If you ever did this, and stayed in Petaluma. Rooster run (outskirts of town) is a cool-ish track that borders a private air field in which planes fly to/from daily. It’s not the most architecturally nerdy course, but aviation and golf is cool. Also, if you time it right and stayed in Windsor instead, same goes for Windsor’s golf course, but with hot air balloons

Absolutely love Petaluma, lived there for 6 months, right down town.  Check out Sax Joint for a good breakfast and cinnamon roll! 

8 minutes ago, dutz said:

Absolutely love Petaluma, lived there for 6 months, right down town.  Check out Sax Joint for a good breakfast and cinnamon roll! 

If you want a greasy spoon, and the largest chicken and waffles plate you’ve ever had in your life, check out sax’s joint in petauma. My goodness do those beautiful, 50’s genre inspired women do it right. They do not skimp on portions. 

Fiancé is going to Hawaii with friends. Leaves me home for 6 days sitting on my hands.  I had 2 surgeries last fall, and played 6 rounds of golf since the start of the new year. Was an 8 hdcp before surgery, just shot a 90 at bayonet the other day. I called Bandon up yesterday and easily booked 36 for March 5th and 6th (Friday Saturday) and got SR PD PD BD. Trails has a tournament, and I’ll play old Mac later. Preserve was unfortunately too booked to fit in on my arrival day, or I’d had to leave at 2am to adequately get there in time. Driving up from east bay, ca. Tesla stops mean a long route,  but looking forward to the drive. Found an air bnb for the 4th 5th and 6th for 188$ total.

First timer. Driving up Thursday morning, using the afternoon to stretch, hydrate, rest, and take in the local scene. Playing sheep ranch at 7:10 Friday morning, pac dunes at 2. I know daylight will be slim toward the end. But I figure if the sun sets on me on 14/15/16.... well, that ain’t too bad right? 

Saturday playing pac dunes early, hopefully with less wind than the afternoon before. Then playing bandon. Weather looks to be light and cooperative, but I won’t hold my breath. All in all, looks like quite an easy thing to have set up as a single who’s only a drive away.

Is there a BBQ joint anywhere?

We (oregon) aren’t known for our scallops. Salmon you can get most places. I’ve heard Coachhouse in Coos Bay is good but never been. Alloro wine bar is kind of considered the best restaurant in Bandon and I think Edgewaters is pretty nice. There is another seafood joint that closes early and I forget the name. If you really want something local, look for good Dungeness Crab. Salmon is really common. If you are driving up the coast stop at The Landing North or Spinners in Gold Beach for amazing salmon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone embraced using a hybrid to putt/pitch runners from 10-100+ yards?  I really want to start playing this shot, especially if the wind is up.  If so, what loft do you find works best?  I have a 19 and 22 and can't figure out the whats and whys for each.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

On 2/17/2021 at 10:53 AM, R4haehl said:

Headed to Bandon next week (Thursday - Sunday) in a group of 16. My 3rd (or 4th?) trip, so I am not totally new. Arrival day we have tee times on Pacific around 10:45-11am.  Depending on what time we finish, I think I may get an extra 9-ish holes in on Pacific or Bandon, depending on availability/daylight. I know pro shop staff will have some suggestions but wanted to ask the WRX squad.

What are the best hole routings to take on Pac or Bandon that will get me back "close" to the clubhouse so I am not walking across the course in the dark after sun down? - Holes don't have to be in order either but that will depend on other groups on the course...

We've gone so far as to pack headlamps when we know we're gonna push till dark.  When the ranger comes to say hello, we let them know our plan, and that we have lights.  On BD, we played 1-12, skipped to 16, then parked it on the bench overlooking the ocean behind 17 tee.  Hung out, with flasks until it was completely dark.  I don't recall seeing a ranger to check that we made it in, so hopefully talking to him about our plan meant he didn't have to sit out there as late as we did.......

• Like 2

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

8 minutes ago, buzlin said:

We've gone so far as to pack headlamps when we know we're gonna push till dark.  When the ranger comes to say hello, we let them know our plan, and that we have lights.  On BD, we played 1-12, skipped to 16, then parked it on the bench overlooking the ocean behind 17 tee.  Hung out, with flasks until it was completely dark.  I don't recall seeing a ranger to check that we made it in, so hopefully talking to him about our plan meant he didn't have to sit out there as late as we did.......

They were probably all back in the pro shop, watching the GPS tracker:

"Hey, they seem to have stopped by 17 tee..."

"Ah, flask time..."

"Right.  They have headlamps.  They'll be stumbling back in about 20 minutes..."

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, buzlin said:

Has anyone embraced using a hybrid to putt/pitch runners from 10-100+ yards?  I really want to start playing this shot, especially if the wind is up.  If so, what loft do you find works best?  I have a 19 and 22 and can't figure out the whats and whys for each.

I tend to use a chippy 8 iron for those, but the hybrid works too.  That's one of the shots that Grant teaches in the Links Course.  The trick for me was to just pick one (those differences in loft are not really going to affect much) that felt better over the ball and I felt like I could get clean contact off the usually tight lie. Then it's a matter of making clean contact.  An 8 or 9 o'clock swing with an even tempo should run the ball around 80-90 yards, depending on terrain, and probably won't get more than 4 feet off the ground.

It's a great shot to have in the bag. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buzlin said:

Love that shot, use an 18* hybrid and can go up to 150 yds with decent distance control. Last trip, I used it on old mac on that nasty stretch into the wind (10 (more cross wind), 11, 13, 14) and made more GIR than if I were hitting traditional iron shots. Trick seems to be to learn how far back to take the backswing.  It's almost a long putt type stroke for me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, buzlin said:

As said above, I love that shot. I use my 4 wood. Putting grip, almost on the shaft with a slight forward press. Last trip 2 separate rounds my playing partners; whom I didn’t know, chuckled at me. 1 round lead to 2 birdies and the other led to an easy birdie and a couple 3 - 4 ft putts and both groups asked me my technique by the end of the round. I max out about 60 - 70 yards. Around 100 I use about a 12 o’clock swing with an 8 iron. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 3:35 PM, spud3 said:

My experience with going out in the afternoon is that they are fine with it, as long as you have a plan for getting back by nightfall.  Especially if it's after 36 holes and you are playing for free.  Chances are good that you'll get a visit or two from a ranger, who will ask you what your plan is.  It's not a harassing thing, they just keep close track on singles going out later, even offering rides back in if it's getting close to dark.  They can't go home until everyone is accounted for, which is why they put one of those tracker devices on your bag.

Just check in with the pro shop of whatever course you just finished and they can tell you which course is most open and/or suggest short loops that would fit in the remaining daylight.  Those guys are all golf nerds, too.  They get it.

How much does it cost if you’re going to short route it like that without enough daylight to even get in 9, If you’ve only played 1 round, do they charge you a full replay amount?