Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

Very interesting.  Never really noticed, but if you look at the satellite view, there not only appears to be a fairway running along side #9, but also a green complex that runs along side #10.

I will definitely be taking a walk over there next month and quizzing the staff.  It sure looks like a hole layout (though kind of a bizarre one, and the fairway would run around 300 yards, then make a buttonhook right turn to the green).

Capture.PNG

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

36 minutes ago, spud3 said:

Very interesting.  Never really noticed, but if you look at the satellite view, there not only appears to be a fairway running along side #9, but also a green complex that runs along side #10.

I will definitely be taking a walk over there next month and quizzing the staff.  It sure looks like a hole layout (though kind of a bizarre one, and the fairway would run around 300 yards, then make a buttonhook right turn to the green).

Capture.PNG

LOL, the secret Bandon hole. A buddy and I were playing a replay years ago and decided to walk off after #11 due to heavy rain. Cutting across to #9 is when we found this hidden gem and played it back toward the clubhouse...

• Like 1

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

1 hour ago, JNewsted said:

Silly question:

What's going on along the right side of Bandon Dunes #9?  I was... in it... last time and it appears to be a semi abandoned alternate hole.  Anyone know the story?

Last time I was there, I played with a guy who hit it way right on his second shot on 9 and his caddy said "that's probably on the old practice range".  Wondering if the green is a legacy practice area that predates the practice center.  I can't speak with authority, just a guess.

• Like 1

Damn. I went over there to find my ball off 10 and check out the stash box - and was completely oblivious. 

Edited by dcmidnight

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

Covid restriction related question:  We're staying at Lily Pond for the first time.  We'd like to hang outside after the day is done.  How are the patio areas?  Would we be able to set up chairs like you can at the ground floor golf view rooms at The Inn?

Trails related question: Other than driver, what's the best way you've found to give yourself a solid shot at birdie on 14?  I've always tried driver (cuz why not?), but have often left myself struggling to even make par.

Edited by buzlin

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

One strategy for BT 14 is to purposefully hit shorter off the tee.  The farther your tee shot travels, the more chance you have of ending up way down the right side and you're left with the daunting short iron uphill, over the bunker and trying to stop it on that shallow (from that angle) green.

I discovered that strategy when I duffed a tee shot and the ball bounced off a stump and ended up just on the fairway, but in the middle.  So I was left with a nice full PW with the entire length of the green to work with.  Placed it on the center of the green and just missed the 12 footer for birdie.  Ever since, if I'm not really feeling it with my driver, I'll pull 3W or 2H (depending on the wind) and try to drop it in the same spot, about 200 yds off the tee.

If I do end up down in the Valley Of Doom, I've had better luck pitching up to what would be short of the green (i.e., avoiding the bunker), and taking my chances at getting it up and down from there.  Takes the big number out of the equation

• Like 4

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

spud said it perfectly - I hit 3 wood and ended up over on the right (about 10 yards short of pin high) and had a brutal pitch, which landed and hurried off the back.

My next trip I'll be going with a 6 or 7 off the tee and having a full wedge in.

It's always fun to try and drive it on your first go...then you realize how stupid it was and promise to never try it again haha.

• Like 2

We've got two rounds at Trails, so I'll give laying up a go both times.  Is there any specific spot in the fairway (flat, good angle), or should I just be looking for the right distance in? I have ZERO knowledge of that fairway, since I've never been in any part of it other than the Valley of Doom.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

1 hour ago, mallrat said:

The best part is in 21 rounds on Trails I’ve only seen 1 person drive it and he still 3 putted. 

Leave driver in the bag and take that whole right side out of play. That valley stinks. For me it’s a 4 iron (195-200 carry but downhill adds some distance) or driving iron.

I must be in the minority but I've had the best looks at birdy with driver on Trails 14.  I've tried laying up but a full wedge into that green is not an easy shot IMO with how narrow it is and the left to right tilt.  I think driver or three wood and keep it in the left collection area is the play.   Much easier chip or even putt from over there to keep the big numbers out of play.

11 hours ago, jrg75 said:

I must be in the minority but I've had the best looks at birdy with driver on Trails 14.  I've tried laying up but a full wedge into that green is not an easy shot IMO with how narrow it is and the left to right tilt.  I think driver or three wood and keep it in the left collection area is the play.   Much easier chip or even putt from over there to keep the big numbers out of play.

The only time I've ever birdied BT #14 was a drive that ended up fairway mid left and bumped a 2 Hybrid up to the green. Right is bad, and if you get going sideways to that green the stroke meter can look like a slot machine. If you do get down to the right, the best option is the bailout to the left of the green and putter from there. That green used to be about 6' narrower than it is now, for the first few years after BT was built. It was like trying to play to a dining room table.

• Like 1

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

1 minute ago, Lefty_89 said:

Left side of the fairway but not too far left (obviously) or too long; everything funnels to the right.

Not right, not too left, not short and not too long -so what you are saying is hit a prefect shot?

That is why this is a nasty little hole. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Lefty_89 said:

Left side of the fairway but not too far left (obviously) or too long; everything funnels to the right.

I love 14 and I f@^%$ing hate it 😅

I have the exact same feelings 🤣.  My greatest shot ever was driving the green a few years ago.  Still not sure how the ball stayed on the putting surface but I did get home in two for my birdy.

I have equally tragic stories, most involving the right including one time I had a wedge that hit the green and didn't hold and ultimately trickled into the nasty little bunker furthest back behind the green on the right.... pretty sure I carded a 8 that round being only 80 yds out.

I rarely make a ho hum par on 14, it's either heroic or tragic, still, it ends probably my favorite 4 hole stretch on property (11-14).

Edited by jrg75
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lefty_89 said:

I love 14 and I f@^%$ing hate it 😅

This pretty much sums it up.  I birdied it once with a lucky drive, but every other time seems to be bogey or worse.  You can be having a great round and end up taking an 8 on 14 with a bad bounce or two.  It's also hard to put your ego aside and put the driver away on this hole.  I don't believe I've ever been able to do that.

• Like 2

I've only played SR once and the wind was not howling that day.  I used driver on 15 and was short right, maybe 20-30 yds pitch.  I got it up and 2 putted for a par.  I can't exactly remember but the green seemed mutli-tiered but not all that difficult and certainly doesn't have the valley of doom like BT14. I'm guessing future trips will be similar strategy, driver or three wood with short wedge in.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

I've only played SR once and the wind was not howling that day.  I used driver on 15 and was short right, maybe 20-30 yds pitch.  I got it up and 2 putted for a par.  I can't exactly remember but the green seemed mutli-tiered but not all that difficult and certainly doesn't have the valley of doom like BT14. I'm guessing future trips will be similar strategy, driver or three wood with short wedge in.  

Both times I played in there was probably a 30mph gust dead into the fan. I ballooned a hybrid, had a full 9-iron in and think I three putted because I was on the wrong shelf.

Certainly not in the same boat as 14 BT but for the longer hitters, with no wind, curious if anyone has had a look at eagle.

• Like 1

I'm not long enough to get that look but I was lucky enough to play with a really good father son combo (both  were long )when I was there in August.  Dad was former college player and son was a high school senior but likely headed for a college team.  Both hit driver, son made it to front fringe and dad blocked his a little to right, just a little short of pin high.  Son burned the edge, tap in birdy.  Dad hit beautiful pitch to 2 feet and of course drained it.  They both played the tips.

I felt very inadequate after that round, I think they finished 67, 69 and left a few strokes out there just because the greens were new, slow and a little bumpy.  It was fun to watch.

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 7:47 PM, buzlin said:

We've got two rounds at Trails, so I'll give laying up a go both times.  Is there any specific spot in the fairway (flat, good angle), or should I just be looking for the right distance in? I have ZERO knowledge of that fairway, since I've never been in any part of it other than the Valley of Doom.

Sling a ropey R->L drive on the top part of the fairway to leave a bump and run/putt/hybrid onto the front, 2 putt par, and get oot!

Not driven it yet, but have done the putt/hybrid putt from off the green to try and get an 'easy' par. Instead of most other holes where be trying to pitch something up for a birdie putt.

• Like 1

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.